What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Iran seizes two American ships, 10 Sailors held (1 Viewer)

It's always a little nervous to go through the strait of Hormuz. Iran on one side, Dubai on the other. I think it gets like 25 miles skinny at one point. It's not uncommon for a ship to fire warning shots at the Iranian speed boats that test the naval ships. Hope all is well.

What's the hold up? Are we as America seriously just OK with the fact they will eventually be released? How about right now as in immediately? They should not have boarded our ship.

Would Putin put up with this?

What's the hold up? Are we as America seriously just OK with the fact they will eventually be released? How about right now as in immediately? They should not have boarded our ship.

Would Putin put up with this?
WASHINGTON (AP) — Iran was holding 10 U.S. Navy sailors and their two small boats that drifted into Iranian waters after experiencing mechanical problems. Iran accused the sailors of trespassing but American officials said Tehran has assured them that the crew and vessels would be returned safely and promptly.

The sailors, nine men and one woman, were being held overnight at an Iranian base on Farsi Island in the Persian Gulf, and were expected to be transferred to a U.S. ship in the region on Wednesday morning local time. Officials said they believe the U.S. had spoken to one of the crew, and all 10 were fine and uninjured.

Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook told The Associated Press that the Riverine boats were moving between Kuwait and Bahrain when the U.S. lost contact with them.

U.S. officials said that the incident happened near Farsi Island in the middle of the Gulf. They said some type of mechanical trouble with one of the boats caused them to drift into Iranian territorial waters near the island, and they were picked up by Iran.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does one mechanical problem disable 2 boats? Would think standard procedure then would be to all get in one boat and scuttle the busted one if you couldn't tow the broken down boat.

How does one mechanical problem disable 2 boats? Would think standard procedure then would be to all get in one boat and scuttle the busted one if you couldn't tow the broken down boat.
Not 100% sure but I'd guess one boat was disabled and the other one has to stay with it per policy. Seems as though they lost radio contact with shore so they were just drifting. If nothing else, Iran would assist them to land per maritime law on disabled boats.

My guess is the other boat was fine but they were just providing aid to the other boat until more help arrived. The Persian Gulf is tiny and doesn't take much movement to get into Iranian waters. Don't know how much wind there was but from my experience the gulf normally is very calm.

My guess is the other boat was fine but they were just providing aid to the other boat until more help arrived. The Persian Gulf is tiny and doesn't take much movement to get into Iranian waters. Don't know how much wind there was but from my experience the gulf normally is very calm.
I've been to Bahrain but never out on hte Gulf. I know it can be windy as hell in the winter, but it didn't say anything in the reports about wind. I'd guess one boat tried to pull the other, and that didn't work. Aren't those boats used for anti-Pirating out there?

What's the hold up? Are we as America seriously just OK with the fact they will eventually be released? How about right now as in immediately? They should not have boarded our ship.Would Putin put up with this?
WASHINGTON (AP) — Iran was holding 10 U.S. Navy sailors and their two small boats that drifted into Iranian waters after experiencing mechanical problems. Iran accused the sailors of trespassing but American officials said Tehran has assured them that the crew and vessels would be returned safely and promptly.The sailors, nine men and one woman, were being held overnight at an Iranian base on Farsi Island in the Persian Gulf, and were expected to be transferred to a U.S. ship in the region on Wednesday morning local time. Officials said they believe the U.S. had spoken to one of the crew, and all 10 were fine and uninjured.Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook told The Associated Press that the Riverine boats were moving between Kuwait and Bahrain when the U.S. lost contact with them. U.S. officials said that the incident happened near Farsi Island in the middle of the Gulf. They said some type of mechanical trouble with one of the boats caused them to drift into Iranian territorial waters near the island, and they were picked up by Iran.
We'd be in WW18 if the neocons on these boards were in charge. It's amazing how quickly people are to demand escalation without thinking through the consequences.

So, rumor I'm hearing is that it was two seal team boats?
They are used to carry SEALs sometimes, not sure if that was the case here. Hope not.

RCB’s can carry contingents of infantry and special operation forces and are often crewed by sailors in Riverine squadrons, known by some as River Rats. The riverine force came of age in the Vietnam War in what was then known as the Brown Water Navy. In the 1960s and early 1970s boats such as Patrol Boat, River (from ‘Apocalypse Now’ fame) and Swift Boats were the River Rats vessels of choice.

I've been to Bahrain but never out on hte Gulf. I know it can be windy as hell in the winter, but it didn't say anything in the reports about wind. I'd guess one boat tried to pull the other, and that didn't work. Aren't those boats used for anti-Pirating out there?
Not that I know of. On one of my deployments we actually left the Persian gulf to provide aid to a broken down oil tanker that was afraid of pirating,getting captured, or whatever but nothing happened. That particular boat wouldn't be assigned to a fleet of actual navy ships. Keep in mind its policy to always have at lest one aircraft carrier strike group in the gulf at all times. Going through the strait of Hormuz there are these Iranian speed boats that will test the limits by seeing how close they can get to a US Navy ship. They will basically do what a jet ski does to a boat on the lake and cut behind and in front of it. We have fired 50 cals as a warning to them before. Maybe this particular type of boat would aid in protecting ships to prevent another type of USS Cole attack but that's just a guess. Could also assist in Coast guard type of missions as well but another guess.

Not that I know of. On one of my deployments we actually left the Persian gulf to provide aid to a broken down oil tanker that was afraid of pirating,getting captured, or whatever but nothing happened. That particular boat wouldn't be assigned to a fleet of actual navy ships. Keep in mind its policy to always have at lest one aircraft carrier strike group in the gulf at all times. Going through the strait of Hormuz there are these Iranian speed boats that will test the limits by seeing how close they can get to a US Navy ship. They will basically do what a jet ski does to a boat on the lake and cut behind and in front of it. We have fired 50 cals as a warning to them before. Maybe this particular type of boat would aid in protecting ships to prevent another type of USS Cole attack but that's just a guess. Could also assist in Coast guard type of missions as well but another guess.
I don't know Navy platforms all that well but I remember seeing a similar boat (I thought Swift Boat in my head) in anti-Pirating ops. Then again I think that was near Somali, not way up north. Not many Pirates floating around Kuwait. Using them as part of a QRF makes sense.

That is crazy.

I don't know Navy platforms all that well but I remember seeing a similar boat (I thought Swift Boat in my head) in anti-Pirating ops. Then again I think that was near Somali, not way up north. Not many Pirates floating around Kuwait. Using them as part of a QRF makes sense.
Yeah I don't know smaller boats that well either. Been to Bahrain a few times. Nice malls and one big tree.

Re: malls

I don't understand oil-rich country malls. They have all these upscale 5th Avenue type stores with fancy suits and dresses, and all the people in the mall are wearing burqas and white robes. Kuwait City, Muscat, Riyadh, Doha, Manama, etc. Do they wear this stuff around the house like we wear pajamas? Because they always have a bunch of bags in their hands. :oldunsure:

ETA: sp

Re: malls

I don't understand oil-rich country malls. They have all these upscale 5th Avenue type stores with fancy suits and dresses, and all the people in the mall are wearing burqas and white robes. Kuwait City, Muscat, Riyadh, Doha, Manama, etc. Do they where this stuff around the house like we wear pajamas? Because they always have a bunch of bags in their hands. :oldunsure:
:lmao:

Drones are becoming a big problem too. My guess is this was not an anti-pirating mission. Probably just transporting troops.

Users who are viewing this thread