What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (6 Viewers)

Yeah.  Seattle's defense is always tough at home.  I am deciding between Watson and Dalton vs. Indy.
So am I.

Watson has faced some of the worst secondaries around -- NE, TN, CLE, KC. He really hasn't faced a upper echelon D since he was thrown to the fire against Cinci when he ran for that long TD to save his day.

I may start him if I think I need the upside, but a Dalton feels like a guaranteed high floor with possibly a similar ceiling.

Tellyawhat Watson feels like a league winner. I benched him against Seattle, I'll just admit that (I've got Brees). Vs Seattle in Seattle - Watson is killing it. When is there ever a shootout in Seattle? Never? I don't care about the end of season schedule. 

How did this happen?  I passed on him in my rook draft as most of the things I read just weren't all that positive on him.

Benched him for wentz and it cost me the game. 1-7 so wish I can say I was excited about the rest of the season lol. 

Benched him for wentz and it cost me the game. 1-7 so wish I can say I was excited about the rest of the season lol. 
Benched him for Wentz also and Fuller today because "Seattle is so good at home." Bah! 

TBH though the Niners suck so I would start Wentz like 99/100 times with those stats. Just sucked seeing him on my bench with 47 points.

I usually make bad moves right before the games start Sunday. I thought about benching Watson but I remembered him against KC earlier this year. I just decided to leave him in. 

21 TDS in 7 games, the last four coming against the top scoring defense in their house.  The guy wasn’t even supposed to be a starter this year.  What are we seeing?  The guy is making history every week.  

Guy in my league benched him and Fuller for Cam and Kearse. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF!
Fuller was not a consideration for me due to the matchup, but I sat Watson for Cam as well even though I really wanted to take a shot. I guess when you are down 33 due to the Ravens DST, affects your judgement. Not happening again. Cam is my QB2, plays over Watson if injury only.

Wow.  Is this guy really this good?  RG3 was awesome his rookie year as well.  By no means am I saying Watson is the same player or will have the same fate.  In fact, I think Watson is the real deal.  But how can we know for sure?  Lots of 1 year wonders out there.  Man, he sure does look the part though.

Just a few random thoughts.  Three weeks ago I turned down an offer of Winston for Watson plus my 1st and 2nd round picks in an 18-team dynasty league.  Looking back of course I'm VERY happy I didn't, and now I'm not sure I'd do that trade if the picks were going the other direction in that offer.  Obviously with the number of teams, solid starting QBs are at a premium and my other QB was Bortles.  This week Watson was starting because of bye weeks.  If JAX wasn't on a bye this week I might have sat Watson.  No question Watson doesn't leave my lineup barring injury for the ROS.

Wow. Is this guy really this good? RG3 was awesome his rookie year as well. By no means am I saying Watson is the same player or will have the same fate. In fact, I think Watson is the real deal. But how can we know for sure? Lots of 1 year wonders out there. Man, he sure does look the part though.
You can maybe argue that there isn't enough film on him and defenses aren't yet familiar with his tendencies. I honestly don't know if that's a legitimate argument. All I know is that if/when I have to face this guy in fantasy I'll be ####ting bricks.

yah, but... his arm strength... it... his velocity is .247 slower than Manziel, Kizer and Osweiller.  He'll never be able to throw the out against NFL corners.. let alone the deep ball.  

:lmao:

Count me among the unbelievers who started Brady this week instead of Watson and lost because of it.  I am now officially looking to trade Brady for a running back.  All-in on Watson.

Count me among the unbelievers who started Brady this week instead of Watson and lost because of it.  I am now officially looking to trade Brady for a running back.  All-in on Watson.
You will be hating that move as Watson will lay an egg this coming week. I have learned to never play someone that is locked as a #1 starter at their position. 

You will be hating that move as Watson will lay an egg this coming week. I have learned to never play someone that is locked as a #1 starter at their position
I think you're on to something here.  Never play Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Leveon Bell, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Gronk, so on and so forth.  They all seem to be locked as a #1 starter at their positions.  

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton.  Let's see if it pays off for em."  

You will be hating that move as Watson will lay an egg this coming week. I have learned to never play someone that is locked as a #1 starter at their position. 
He will probably lay an egg.  I concede.  But since Brady is on a bye I am going to roll the dice and start Watson anyway!

Anyone else find themselves with Watson, Hopkins and Fuller? If so, do you just happily throw them out there week after week or is there some strategy there? Risk of an off week taking your whole team with it, but that feels like overthinking it.

omahawildcat25 said:
Unless I'm missing something, do you bench LeVeon Bell, Antonio Brown and Rob Gronkowski where you own them?

Hope you guys didn't cut Cam, Brady etc.  I won my league with Bortles last year but I had OBJ too.  I'm in the drivers seat for now, can Bortles keep me from driving off the road?  

Anyone else find themselves with Watson, Hopkins and Fuller? If so, do you just happily throw them out there week after week or is there some strategy there? Risk of an off week taking your whole team with it, but that feels like overthinking it.
Yeah, on second thought never mind.

I'd say risky

Just watching a piece on Watson during the pre game ramp up.

What a great person and a great player. Hope he comes back as strong as he started.

Dynasty value? I play in 1 QB leagues where QBs don't make a huge difference unless they're scoring like Watson was. Can he keep it up when he comes back? Is he an elite fantasy QB going forward, and where is he ranked with so many old QBs and so many young ones disappointing? I just won a championship reluctantly rolling out Brees every week (never thought I'd be saying that), and have thought about targeting Watson despite the ACL.

Anyone else buying? Or selling due to the hype and possibly unsustainable production? Or does he just have "it"?

where do we think watson is going in redraft next year?

have to think wilson, brady, rodgers go ahead of him in ADP.

for me, he's lumped somewhere in the middle/tail end of wentz, cam, cousins & dak, brees, big ben.

ACL injuries for QBs scare me. my recollection is they tend to perform below 100% when they return. carson palmer (first ACL), brady, mcnabb, bradford, RGIII, culpepper all saw a downtick in performance their first year back.

rivers and palmer (second ACL) though had banner years following their injuries. (for rivers, he actually played through the injury, so it's unclear how severe it was.)

we haven't had a "mobile" QB suffer an ACL injury since RGIII, so it'll be interesting to see how FF players treat him (and wentz).

where do we think watson is going in redraft next year?

have to think wilson, brady, rodgers go ahead of him in ADP.

for me, he's lumped somewhere in the middle/tail end of wentz, cam, cousins & dak, brees, big ben.

ACL injuries for QBs scare me. my recollection is they tend to perform below 100% when they return. carson palmer (first ACL), brady, mcnabb, bradford, RGIII, culpepper all saw a downtick in performance their first year back.

rivers and palmer (second ACL) though had banner years following their injuries. (for rivers, he actually played through the injury, so it's unclear how severe it was.)

we haven't had a "mobile" QB suffer an ACL injury since RGIII, so it'll be interesting to see how FF players treat him (and wentz).
I'd put my early projections as 1.Rodgers  2.Brady  3.Wentz  4.Wilson  5.Watson

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Deshaun Watson (ACL) is expected to be "on the field throwing with his teammates during 7-on-7 drills" in OTAs.

Per Rapsheet, Watson's rehab has been "accelerated." He is recovering from a "clean" tear of his ACL, a tear that included no other damage to his knee. It's looking likely that Watson will be full-go for training camp.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Feb 1 - 4:15 PM

The Texans don't plan to scale back Deshaun Watson's running this season.

"You really have to never suffocate what the guy can do," QB coach Sean Ryan said. "You never want to take that away, his instincts, ability to make plays. You just want to make sure you’re hitting the points of when it’s smart to do those things and when it’s not." Watson has looked "like his usual self" during individial work and 7-on-7 drills. The Texans spent the offseason designing their offense around Watson and have added packages from Clemson's spread scheme. It's possible Watson loses some speed coming off ACL surgery, but the Texans aren't going to limit him to the pocket. Watson has a chance to be fully cleared for training camp.

Source: Houston Chronicle 

Users who are viewing this thread