What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (2 Viewers)

Do you think that should happen before or after the Browns let him know that they aren't interested in drafting him?
I'll just own this now and say while he's a great college qb, I wouldn't take him in the 1st.  Although he might be able to survive the mess of a line in Cleveland.

I'll just own this now and say while he's a great college qb, I wouldn't take him in the 1st.  Although he might be able to survive the mess of a line in Cleveland.
He's another Bob Griffin the Turd. What he's doing in college will put him on IR in the NFL.

He's another Bob Griffin the Turd. What he's doing in college will put him on IR in the NFL.
He won't run in the NFL like he did in college, the same as Prescott didn't. I like him a hell of a lot more than I did Prescott coming out, especially if he avoids going to a mutt team. A team like the Steelers or Chiefs should grab him and groom him for a few years.

Snide nicknames aside, Watson does seem to be asking the lines of RG3. Kap, cam, etc. I expect some success but you're right that he'll have to change his style to have prolonged success. 

He won't run in the NFL like he did in college, the same as Prescott didn't. I like him a hell of a lot more than I did Prescott coming out, especially if he avoids going to a mutt team. A team like the Steelers or Chiefs should grab him and groom him for a few years.
He's going to have to learn not to, but make no mistake, he will run when he first starts in the NFL at least until someone gives him a wakeup call.

He's going to have to learn not to, but make no mistake, he will run when he first starts in the NFL at least until someone gives him a wakeup call.
Why? Prescott ran as much or more in college and he was able to control himself. I guess a lot will depend on his weapons and how good a line he has.

Why? Prescott ran as much or more in college and he was able to control himself. I guess a lot will depend on his weapons and how good a line he has.
Exactly. When you can stand behind a brick wall, you don't need to run. When you can hand off to a RB like Elliot, you don't need to run. He will be going to a bad team.

petekrum said:
Agreed. I like his chances of long-term success a lot more if he's able to sit and learn for a year or two.

lod001 said:
Exactly. When you can stand behind a brick wall, you don't need to run. When you can hand off to a RB like Elliot, you don't need to run. He will be going to a bad team.
Not necessarily. He will not go in the top half of the first round.

petekrum said:
No team looking to draft a qb has a line as good as Dallas.  Perfect world for him imo? Arizona in the 2ND as they look to life after Palmer.  More likely and okay, he'll be a jet.

Last edited by a moderator:
No team looking to draft a qb has a line as good as Dallas.  Perfect world for him imo? KC drafts him in the 2nd.  But I doubt that happens.  

Maybe Arizona as they look to life after Palmer. 
To be fair, no one has a line as good as Dallas.

New Orleans would be a good spot for him.  No pressure to start, learn from one of the best in the business, offense designed to protect the QB

To be fair, no one has a line as good as Dallas.

New Orleans would be a good spot for him.  No pressure to start, learn from one of the best in the business, offense designed to protect the QB
Sure, my point is simply that he isn't going to be dak. That set of circumstances happens roughly once a decade.  

The Cleveland Browns select...
They have to trade that pick...right?  This draft is so deep and the Browns need more help than one player can provide that it makes the most sense to trade it.  Gotta figure someone falls in love with a player and overpays given the talent available.

They have to trade that pick...right?  This draft is so deep and the Browns need more help than one player can provide that it makes the most sense to trade it.  Gotta figure someone falls in love with a player and overpays given the talent available.
No, they traded for a bunch of picks last year. You take Garret unless somebody absolutely overwhelms you.

So why don't people think this guy can be an NFL QB. I guess he's kinda slim but he has run a good amount and taken the hits to prove he can stand up to the big hits. He has a great arm, good leadership. His accuracy isnt always amazing but is any QBs. If someone really gets him in the late first or early second they are getting a steal

Clemson junior QB Deshaun Watson turned in a towering performance in Monday's 35-31 win over Alabama in the National Championship Game, accounting for 463 total yards (420 passing, 43 rushing) and four total touchdowns.
This was the true definition of a championship classic. Watson started out slowly early, taking multiple big hits as Alabama worked out to a 14-0 lead, but he settled in during the second half. And then some. He saved his best work for the end, connecting on a four-yard touchdown toss with Mike Williams to draw Clemson to within 24-21 early in the final quarter. The two squads would trade touchdowns leading into the Tigers' final drive of the 2016 season. It was a beauty. Watson made several tough throws in tight spots to lead his team down the field, capping it off with a two-yard scoring pass to Hunter Renfrow in the right flat to give Clemson a 35-31 advantage with just one second remaining on the clock. There would be no miracle for the Tide. This title caps off a masterful collegiate career for Watson, who will try his luck in the NFL Draft this spring.

Jan 10 - 12:32 AM

They can say what they want about Watson, but I think he is going to be a much better QB than people think.  He's mobile and has a good arm, but the best thing about him is his ability to read and check down... and his tenacity.  He doesn't get down on himself or his team.. ever.  He is an exceptional leader and I think he is going to make some fan base happy.  

His WRs and TE played a large roll in some of those horrible throws. Don't get me wrong he hung in there and took his ### whippin like a man because Bama was on a mission. But some of those passes were under thrown, over thrown, behind the receivers but they made some spectacular catches.

He played well though, he made an argument for the #1 QB spot.

Tex

Browns have a ton of picks. Eventually they need to stay put and take some impact players with their top selections instead of getting cute and trading back. I know this is a Watson thread, but I'm not saying that player is Watson - I think Myles is the way to go to start building that defense.

Anyone who needs and passes on him is going to regret it. With fixed rookie salaries QB is the one position I draft a round ahead if need be. Too hard to find good ones, you gotta roll the dice until better appears on your roster.

That is my opinion, screw all these draft experts, if I'm Cleveland Owner I'm trying to put a product on the field and right now 1-15 is a complete disaster and I wouldn't fault Cleveland fans if they turned their heads for a while until it gets fixed. No fan base deserves the abuse that Cleveland has gotten from the Browns being ripped into the Ravens and then 17 years of expansion level football...#### the NFL if I lived in Cleveland, just get out of here and take this phony Browns team away.

Anyone who needs and passes on him is going to regret it. With fixed rookie salaries QB is the one position I draft a round ahead if need be. Too hard to find good ones, you gotta roll the dice until better appears on your roster.

That is my opinion, screw all these draft experts, if I'm Cleveland Owner I'm trying to put a product on the field and right now 1-15 is a complete disaster and I wouldn't fault Cleveland fans if they turned their heads for a while until it gets fixed. No fan base deserves the abuse that Cleveland has gotten from the Browns being ripped into the Ravens and then 17 years of expansion level football...#### the NFL if I lived in Cleveland, just get out of here and take this phony Browns team away.
They will take Garrett at 1.01. If they like Watson they should be able to get him with their second first rounder.

Is Watson really Vince Young with leadership ability (a huge distinction to be sure)?

By that I mean he's good. Maybe not a great passer but really a complete package. Closer to Russell Wilson perhaps?

His WRs and TE played a large roll in some of those horrible throws. Don't get me wrong he hung in there and took his ### whippin like a man because Bama was on a mission. But some of those passes were under thrown, over thrown, behind the receivers but they made some spectacular catches.

He played well though, he made an argument for the #1 QB spot.

Tex
Some great catches, for sure.  But many of those throws are by design.  He threw the ball to Leggette on his great catch on the last drive to a play (by design) where only Leggette had a chance to catch it.  He knows Mike Williams is going to leap and go after the ball and not wait for it to come down to him like so many other WRs do.  So he often throws it to Williams up for grabs.  I'll take my chance on Williams grabbing it most of the time, as he's done that all year long.  And he knows Renfro can go down and catch it on tough 3rd down plays.  He often throws it where only the receiver can catch it.  

When Leggette was wide open down the middle he hit him in the numbers.  Same with Renfro on the 3rd down and 16 sideline play that preserved a drive.  People keep underestimating Watson's throwing abilities.  

Having said that... early on in the season, Watson forced some throws and was fooled by good defensive plays where they baited him into lobbing the ball.  He corrected that in the middle of the season and finished the year much better.  I think he's the best QB in the draft.  

Is Watson really Vince Young with leadership ability (a huge distinction to be sure)?

By that I mean he's good. Maybe not a great passer but really a complete package. Closer to Russell Wilson perhaps?
Watson doesn't have Young's size and maybe not his running ability.  But I think Watson is better in reading defenses, staying in the pocket, and going through read progressions than Young ever was.  I think Watson is closer to Winston than Young.  Not as big as Winston but just as fearless and just as much of a leader who commands the offense.  My opinion though. 

Interesting comp.  He's not VY - although unless I'm misremembering, VY displayed some leadership in college, he just couldn't handle the pressure of the NFL (and he sucked because of it). 

I'm really undecided on Watson.  I want to think highly of his potential, I did last year.  But he seems like a great guy and great college qb but I don't know how his game translates and his size is a concern.  

I'd love to see him in Houston,  succeeding but not too much ;)  the 2 games each year between him and Mariota would be fun, could become one of the best QB rivalries. 

OK, has someone hacked the Bing page?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Deshaun+Watson&filters=tnTID%3a"20F9C1EB-B542-49a5-B35A-F868E8D9BF87"+tnVersion%3a"1767356"+segment%3a"popularnow.carousel"+tnCol%3a"6"+tnOrder%3a"e0cb3a02-d1c1-4e67-860d-91b1f725d09d"&efirst=4&FORM=CNTPNH

Tell me I'm actually seeing this on the right-hand side...

Deshaun Watson

American Football Player
Deshaun Watson is an American football quarterback for the Clemson Tigers. His career ended in 2017 after being drafted by the Browns.

Update:
They finally removed it... 

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Deshaun+Watson&filters=tnTID%3a"20F9C1EB-B542-49a5-B35A-F868E8D9BF87"+tnVersion%3a"1767356"+segment%3a"popularnow.carousel"+tnCol%3a"6"+tnOrder%3a"e0cb3a02-d1c1-4e67-860d-91b1f725d09d"&efirst=4&FORM=CNTPNH

Deshaun Watson

American Football Player
Deshaun Watson is an American football quarterback for the Clemson Tigers. His career ended in 2017 after being drafted by the Browns. 
:lol:   That's funny.  And maybe a bit sad that it might come true.  I'd like to see him in Houston or even SF or Chicago instead of Cleveland or the Jets.  

Deshaun Watson

American Football Player
It's the wikipedia summary, which is available for public editing.  It's a cached version of a previous edit.  Unfortunately, some people find it amusing to make childish edits like this.

I dunno. Maybe he's a Jameis Winston type but hopefully not a Josh Freeman. I think he settles in as a Steve McNair because he's not as fast as Mike Vick. I just hope he doesn't get hurt a lot like RG3. 

I dunno. Maybe he's a Jameis Winston type but hopefully not a Josh Freeman. I think he settles in as a Steve McNair because he's not as fast as Mike Vick. I just hope he doesn't get hurt a lot like RG3. 
 He's not as accurate as Warren Moon and not a pocket passer like Doug Williams.

And he seems to be in the opposite end of the idiot spectrum from Johnny Manziel.

I'd say he kind of reminds me of Mariota but he might not be white enough for you.

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah has not communicated with a team who bestowed a first round grade on Clemson QB Deshaun Watson.
It is important to note how early we are in the process. Right now, prospects have been given a talent grade from area scouts with perhaps a cross check grade from another scout. Personnel executive grades along with evaluations from assistant coaches arrive later in the process. Deshaun Watson has not announced his intention to play or skip the Senior Bowl.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

He's just not accurate enough for my taste. When you look at the top QBs, every single one of them has terrific accuracy. And accuracy doesn't seem to be a trait that improves much for pretty much any QB. Either a guy has it, or he doesn't.

He's just not accurate enough for my taste. When you look at the top QBs, every single one of them has terrific accuracy. And accuracy doesn't seem to be a trait that improves much for pretty much any QB. Either a guy has it, or he doesn't.
show your work

show your work
Guys I would deem as elite over the last 10 years:

Brady: 63.8%

Rodgers: 65.1%

P. Manning: 65.3%

Brees: 66.6%

Wilson: 64.7%

Roethlisberger: 64.1%

Completion percentage isn't the sole indicator of accuracy, but it's decent. And I think everyone would agree that those guys are all accurate passers. What's kind of crazy is that Brady actually has the lowest completion percentage out of all of those guys. Brady, Brees and Wilson all have OK arms, but nothing special. But all are accurate passers that are terrific at reading defenses.

Guys I would deem as elite over the last 10 years:

Brady: 63.8%

Rodgers: 65.1%

P. Manning: 65.3%

Brees: 66.6%

Wilson: 64.7%

Roethlisberger: 64.1%

Completion percentage isn't the sole indicator of accuracy, but it's decent. And I think everyone would agree that those guys are all accurate passers. What's kind of crazy is that Brady actually has the lowest completion percentage out of all of those guys. Brady, Brees and Wilson all have OK arms, but nothing special. But all are accurate passers that are terrific at reading defenses.
It isn't, and I think it's somewhat overrated.  Many teams dink and dunk the ball to RBs and TEs a lot in lieu of runs.....that accounts for higher completion percentages.  Out of these QBs, Brady, Brees and Big Ben use the RB a ton in the passing game.  Rodgers and Brady throw a lot of WR screens and short passes.

I think the best indicator for accuracy is yards per attempt.  Higher YPA shows that you get the ball downfield with accuracy.

But I agree with your last statement 100%.  It's much easier to have a high completion percentage when you're always throwing to the open guy.

Watson did just throw for 402 yards against a team that has not just five NFL prospects, but five legitimate FIRST ROUND prospects (not mentioning the guys that could go day two)...right?

Users who are viewing this thread