What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (4 Viewers)

Clemson QB Deshaun Watson went No. 10 to the Bills in Mel Kiper's most recent mock draft.
What's interesting about that is this sentence from the write-up: "I didn't think Watson would get a post-title game draft bounce, but I've heard differently from people around the NFL." Kiper is extremely well plugged-in within NFL inner-circles. While we struggle to put a finger on where Watson's stock truly sits at this point in the process, this is undeniably a good sign for the prospect.

Source: ESPN 
Jan 19 - 3:29 PM

daveR said:
Well, since he's not talented enough to go 1.01 maybe he figures he'll be gone by their second pick.
I believe if he makes it to the mid second round, teams that passed on him (those that are in need of a QB) will regret doing so.  

This was the new FO's first year.
I actually hope they can turn it around in Cleveland.  I would love to pull for a team that can keep the Steelers and Ravens out of the playoffs.  Bengals usually keep themselves out of any type of deep playoff dive.  

I realize we're joking a bit, but it seems kind of silly if not downright stupid to not want to be the #1 pick. 
The Browns hold 3 of the top 33 picks.  The Bears hold the second pick and 34th picks in the draft.

DeSuan declined an invitation to become the first underclassman to attend the Senior Bowl because he graduated early and a special provision was put in place just for that possibility.

The Senior Bowl has in attendance approximately 400 NFL coaches, scouts, and evaluators this year.  Every NFL team gets a personal one-on-one 15-minute interview that doesn't count against them in the draft process.  Many teams are loaded with players who participated in the Senior Bowl due to those interviews.

The Browns coach the South squad and would have coached Watson.  Every year the coaching staffs swap squads so they can work with both sets of players.

So Watson passed up the opportunity to be coached by teams holding 5 of the top 34 picks in the draft and for every other NFL team to personally interview him.

A player whose value could definitely have risen if he checked out physically, practiced hard, and interviewed well.

He could have boosted his life long earning potential but declined.  

The Browns hold 3 of the top 33 picks.  The Bears hold the second pick and 34th picks in the draft.

DeSuan declined an invitation to become the first underclassman to attend the Senior Bowl because he graduated early and a special provision was put in place just for that possibility.

The Senior Bowl has in attendance approximately 400 NFL coaches, scouts, and evaluators this year.  Every NFL team gets a personal one-on-one 15-minute interview that doesn't count against them in the draft process.  Many teams are loaded with players who participated in the Senior Bowl due to those interviews.

The Browns coach the South squad and would have coached Watson.  Every year the coaching staffs swap squads so they can work with both sets of players.

So Watson passed up the opportunity to be coached by teams holding 5 of the top 34 picks in the draft and for every other NFL team to personally interview him.

A player whose value could definitely have risen if he checked out physically, practiced hard, and interviewed well.

It's obvious from your posts in here that you don't like him. That's fine, but how can anyone say it was a bad decision. No offense to Browns fans, but the team is going to waste whichever QB they settle on selecting. There's years and years of history backing this up. Watson will go in round one and will go to a much better fit than Cleveland.  You say "he could have boosted his life long earning potential," I say he did exactly that by opting not to appease the Browns.  The big contract now is the second contract, the Browns wouldn't set him up for success costing him money.

Also Artavis Scott is playing in the senior bowl as a graduated junior, so it's not like Watson is declining some honor to be the first and only. He has no need to play in that game. Do you criticize every player who skips the combine for personal workouts?  It happens all the time. 

Edit: Also!  Every other profession lets the person choose who their future employer might be. That obviously isn't the system that is currently in place, but this is an easy way that he can sway things in his favor. What professional when prompted with these 32 different companies would want to go work for the one that is perpetually in the bottom rung of performers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone honestly believe he's trying to hurt his draft stock?
No, not really. I just think it's laughable to suggest that him not appeasing the Browns of all teams is going to set his career back. The guy has played 30 football games in the past two years, he has zero reason to play in this game. If they want a closer look, they can do a private workout. 

Does anyone honestly believe he's trying to hurt his draft stock?
No. I personally believe he knows he could ONLY hurt his draft stock by playing. He played the game of his life in the championship. All he could do in this game would be regress to the norm.

Not really.  A QB who goes to a team with coaches who know how to develop players is in a better situation long term. 

What professional when prompted with these 32 different companies would want to go work for the one that is perpetually in the bottom rung of performers?
Not to mention, working for that employer is downright dangerous.

All 4 Browns QBs were injured by week 4 in 2016.  

Since 2000, only one Browns qb started all 16 games.

All 4 Cleveland first round QBs are out of the NFL. 

Walter Football's Charlie Campbell relays that some "quarterback-needy teams" view Clemson QB Deshaun Watson's decision to skip the Senior Bowl as a mistake.

"At the end of the day," Campbell writes, "this decision won't really be held against Watson, but it was a missed opportunity to impress NFL evaluators." The Senior Bowl would have provided Watson a chance to show his chops in a pro-style offense, something he did not experience running Clemson's system during his brilliant collegiate career. While it might irk a few teams that Watson is skipping the Senior Bowl, we agree with Campbell that this won't have a long-term effect on the quarterback's draft stock. He will have plenty of chances to convince teams he is worth a first-round pick over the coming months.

Source: Walter Football

It's obvious from your posts in here that you don't like him. That's fine, but how can anyone say it was a bad decision. No offense to Browns fans, but the team is going to waste whichever QB they settle on selecting. There's years and years of history backing this up. Watson will go in round one and will go to a much better fit than Cleveland.  You say "he could have boosted his life long earning potential," I say he did exactly that by opting not to appease the Browns.  The big contract now is the second contract, the Browns wouldn't set him up for success costing him money.

Also Artavis Scott is playing in the senior bowl as a graduated junior, so it's not like Watson is declining some honor to be the first and only. He has no need to play in that game. Do you criticize every player who skips the combine for personal workouts?  It happens all the time. 

Edit: Also!  Every other profession lets the person choose who their future employer might be. That obviously isn't the system that is currently in place, but this is an easy way that he can sway things in his favor. What professional when prompted with these 32 different companies would want to go work for the one that is perpetually in the bottom rung of performers?
I'm not thrilled about any of the QBs in this draft class and I've heard from more than one source that the top QB from this class would rank with Paxton Lynch from last year and he went near the end of the first round.

I posted what has been said of him.  It has been reported that he is nearly unanimously considered a 2nd round prospect by NFL teams.

Tony Pauline@TonyPauline

Tony Pauline Retweeted Draft Analyst

Shrine Game Draft Buzz: Spoke with several teams during the day & their grade on Deshaun Watson is almost unanimous http://draftanalyst.com/shrine-game-buzz-monday-evening 
He comes from a spread offense and hasn't run NFL sets.  

He has a big time WR who bails him out.

He runs the ball to soften up the defense.

I didn't report scouting details questioning his footwork and questions about his frame.  

The Browns will get a good QB when one comes to them unless you think they ruined the brilliant careers of Johnny Manziel, Brandon Weeden, and Brady Quinn just because they turned in the card.  Those guys sucked because they didn't have the talent and anyone who says that Watson doesn't have anything to prove doesn't know football because he's no sure thing and he has a ton to prove.

I'm not thrilled about any of the QBs in this draft class and I've heard from more than one source that the top QB from this class would rank with Paxton Lynch from last year and he went near the end of the first round.

I posted what has been said of him.  It has been reported that he is nearly unanimously considered a 2nd round prospect by NFL teams.

Tony Pauline@TonyPauline

Tony Pauline Retweeted Draft Analyst

Shrine Game Draft Buzz: Spoke with several teams during the day & their grade on Deshaun Watson is almost unanimous http://draftanalyst.com/shrine-game-buzz-monday-evening 
He comes from a spread offense and hasn't run NFL sets.  

He has a big time WR who bails him out.

He runs the ball to soften up the defense.

I didn't report scouting details questioning his footwork and questions about his frame.  

The Browns will get a good QB when one comes to them unless you think they ruined the brilliant careers of Johnny Manziel, Brandon Weeden, and Brady Quinn just because they turned in the card.  Those guys sucked because they didn't have the talent and anyone who says that Watson doesn't have anything to prove doesn't know football because he's no sure thing and he has a ton to prove.
Of course he has something to prove, never said he didn't.  I'm saying him skipping the senior bowl doesn't prove anything in regards to his work ethic or desire.  As far as the Browns ruining those QBs careers, it's hard to say for sure. The track record is not on their side in regards to developing... well... anyone. 

Good news for Watson is I hear Cleveland's homeless population prefers Trubisky. 

Of course he has something to prove, never said he didn't.  I'm saying him skipping the senior bowl doesn't prove anything in regards to his work ethic or desire.  As far as the Browns ruining those QBs careers, it's hard to say for sure. The track record is not on their side in regards to developing... well... anyone. 

Good news for Watson is I hear Cleveland's homeless population prefers Trubisky. 
In case you missed it. every NFL team is at the Senior Bowl trying to glean as much information as they can on prospects.  If a guy skips he'd better not have the questions that Watson has about his ability to play in pro sets and adapt to NFL coaching.  Every team would have liked to see him operate under center.

Homeless population of Cleveland shot shows how uh, 'clever' you are.    

No. I personally believe he knows he could ONLY hurt his draft stock by playing. He played the game of his life in the championship. All he could do in this game would be regress to the norm.
...or injure himself. It's really not worth it for him to play. It's the right decision imo.

Well let's not get carried away there, Dabo.  
Yeah, that's a bit much.  Dabo is just being Dabo, though. His greatest asset is his ability to sell and create a family environment. True or not (I'm positive he doesn't even believe it), he's showing a bunch of kids and their parents that he will always go to bat for them. 

Walter Football relays that "every team we've spoken to has a second- or third-round grade [on Clemson QB Deshaun Watson]."

Cover Dabo Swinney's ears. Swinney said last month that scouts who slapped second-round grades on Watson should be terminated. He also said that if the Browns pass on Watson with the first pick, it would be akin to passing on Michael Jordan. Despite Swinney's masterful publicity campaign for his star quarterback, at least at this stage, it looks like the majority of (non-Swinney generated) buzz is centering around Day 2. As for where Watson might land, CBS Sports' Jason La Confora relays that the Cardinals are one team to keep an eye on.

Source: Walter Football

This report he's not graded highly by NFL teams has been touched by a lot of sources.

Before the college playoffs, where you'd think he might have helped his stock, I was listening to Jeremiah and Brooks and they both said they were not hearing much buzz on him at all, that people they were talking to were not overly excited and just in general no buzz around him.

Read yesterday that Matt Miller said the people he spoke with don't have a first round grade on him but he clarified that today. Teams don't have 32 players with first round grades, Miller said 12-15 is normal but I've heard others say more like 18 is typical. Plus QB's get pushed up so he clarified today that he thinks he's going in first round but fact remains he does not think a team has first round or top 15 type player grade on him.

Read a tweet from Charlie Casserly a few hours ago.  I'd link it but to lazy, but he said he after the talked to team and watched tape he does not think he's anywhere near a top pick.

This report he's not graded highly by NFL teams has been touched by a lot of sources.

Before the college playoffs, where you'd think he might have helped his stock, I was listening to Jeremiah and Brooks and they both said they were not hearing much buzz on him at all, that people they were talking to were not overly excited and just in general no buzz around him.

Read yesterday that Matt Miller said the people he spoke with don't have a first round grade on him but he clarified that today. Teams don't have 32 players with first round grades, Miller said 12-15 is normal but I've heard others say more like 18 is typical. Plus QB's get pushed up so he clarified today that he thinks he's going in first round but fact remains he does not think a team has first round or top 15 type player grade on him.

Read a tweet from Charlie Casserly a few hours ago.  I'd link it but to lazy, but he said he after the talked to team and watched tape he does not think he's anywhere near a top pick.
I don't doubt for a second that there are a number of teams that don't rate him as a first rounder.  I'm quite positive that is the case. I'm also quite positive that some do and are just laying low for now, and that he definitely will go round 1 (and likely in the top 15). Arizona has been linked to him already, which is a nice fit. 

Watson is working with Jordan (brother of Carson) Palmer prepping for the draft. Dabo Swinney and Arians also shared an agent until his (the agent) passing away last week.  Lots of smoke.

I don't doubt for a second that there are a number of teams that don't rate him as a first rounder.  I'm quite positive that is the case. I'm also quite positive that some do and are just laying low for now, and that he definitely will go round 1 (and likely in the top 15). Arizona has been linked to him already, which is a nice fit. 

Watson is working with Jordan (brother of Carson) Palmer prepping for the draft. Dabo Swinney and Arians also shared an agent until his (the agent) passing away last week.  Lots of smoke.
I don't see Arizona as good fit, I think Kizer is more of what Arians is looking for in a QB but he might not get a shot at him.

I think he's going to be a first round pick as well but I could easily see a Teddy B kind of fall.  I don't think he's close to sniffing top 5 status like a lot of mocks I see. Put another way I don't think 49'ers, Browns or Bears in top 5 or Jets at 6, the QB needy teams in top 10, are close to using those picks on him. I think Buffalo at 10 starts to be where he enters the conversation, at that point it just takes one team to like him and I feel like he'll make it into the first round, even if it's by means of one of those teams that don't take him in top 6 trading back into late first.

Dabo was a WR coach on Bruce Arians' staff when he was Alabama's OC in 1997.  They're still friends.  Arians said today that he really likes Watson in this crop of QBs coming out.  He said there have been many great athletes who successfully ran a spread offense in college but they weren't "quarterbacks."  Many have labeled Watson among those athletes.  But Arians said Watson was a quarterback, not just an athlete who can run the spread offense.  

FUBAR said:
If I'm guessing today, the Browns or Bears trade up into the late 1st to grab Watson.  
That's one of the worst trades possible.  Historically, QBs drafted outside of the top 5 only make it in the NFL around 10%-15% of the time.  A QB in the late first makes it just as often as a QB in round 3.  If the Browns want Watson in the late first, a better option would be to trade down from 12 and hope he's still there.  

The Browns "perfect draft" would be to take Garrett, and then Cook is still on the board at 12.  Trade down from 12 to maybe 26 with Seattle.  The Seahawks get Cook and the Browns pick up Seattle's 2018 first.  Then Watson slides to 26 and the Browns draft him there.  Now they've got Garrett, Watson, and 2 first rounders in 2018.  If Watson is already gone, I don't feel too bad because I'm not sold on him panning out by any means.

Less than perfect would be to then package the 26 with the 33 to move up to get Watson.  You lose a lot of value there but you only do that if you think you really need Watson (Which I would not do).

The Bears are very limited because they only have 1 first rounder.  They DO have a trading partner though.  Should Johnathan Allen be available at 1.03, remember that Ozzie Newsome LOVES Alabama players (being from Alabama himself).  Maybe the Bears could trade down from 3 to 16 and pick up a first from Baltimore in 2018.  Then its not so bad selecting Watson at 16 because you've also got another first round pick for taking him.

You should trade DOWN for QBs in the lower first round, not UP.

That's one of the worst trades possible.  Historically, QBs drafted outside of the top 5 only make it in the NFL around 10%-15% of the time.  A QB in the late first makes it just as often as a QB in round 3.  If the Browns want Watson in the late first, a better option would be to trade down from 12 and hope he's still there.  
Link?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jets-mailbag-jay-cutler-christian-hackenberg-article-1.2967210?utm_content=buffer13f87&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_ca

The pre-draft meat grinder is already underway. Prospects will be dissected to ridiculous degrees. You’ll hear rumblings about Watson’s draft stock rising and falling over the next few months, but I haven’t spoken to any talent evaluator, who believes that Watson is worthy of a Top 10 pick. Most scouts I touched base with think that the former Clemson star is a second-rounder at best.

The Browns "perfect draft" would be to take Garrett, and then Cook is still on the board at 12.  Trade down from 12 to maybe 26 with Seattle.  The Seahawks get Cook and the Browns pick up Seattle's 2018 first.  Then Watson slides to 26 and the Browns draft him there.  Now they've got Garrett, Watson, and 2 first rounders in 2018.  If Watson is already gone, I don't feel too bad because I'm not sold on him panning out by any means.

Less than perfect would be to then package the 26 with the 33 to move up to get Watson.  You lose a lot of value there but you only do that if you think you really need Watson (Which I would not do).

The Bears are very limited because they only have 1 first rounder.  They DO have a trading partner though.  Should Johnathan Allen be available at 1.03, remember that Ozzie Newsome LOVES Alabama players (being from Alabama himself).  Maybe the Bears could trade down from 3 to 16 and pick up a first from Baltimore in 2018.  Then its not so bad selecting Watson at 16 because you've also got another first round pick for taking him.

You should trade DOWN for QBs in the lower first round, not UP.
By my count there were 17 or 18 QBs drafted outside the top 5 who were starters last season.

ESPN's Todd McShay slotted Clemson QB Deshaun Watson No. 2 overall to the 49ers in a recent mock draft.
"We don't have a first-round grade on Watson because of his inconsistent accuracy and decision-making (30 INTs the past two seasons)," McShay wrote. "But his outstanding leadership skills and intangibles will help him during pre-draft meetings with teams, and he does have intriguing physical tools, including a good arm and athleticism." McShay believes Watson is a good fit for Kyle Shanahan's offense. He added that Mitch Trubisky is also a fit Shanahan's attack.

Source: ESPN 
Feb 10 - 1:24 PM

Users who are viewing this thread