What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (6 Viewers)

A few points for those unfamiliar with the Texans:

1. McClain was connected....at one point....years ago. Now, he's completely out of the loop and anything he says should at best be taken with a grain of salt but more aptly read as an op-ed piece of pure guessing.
  2. It's not IF Watson will start this year because of at least injury, but WHEN. Savage's longest stretch of NFL games without injury = 2 games.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said first-round QB Deshaun Watson is "ahead of schedule" in his development.

A month ago O'Brien said the rookie wasn't "nearly where he needs to be to be a full-time starter." Apparently Watson took that criticism to heart. He's been on a tear since came opened a few days ago, reminding Houston Chronicle beat writer John McClain of a young Warren Moon. Slowly but surely, the Clemson alum is winning O'Brien over. "There’s no doubt he’s ahead of schedule," said O'Brien. "He’s put a lot of time in, and he’s doing a good job." Watson still has ground to make up on projected starter Tom Savage, but he's closing the gap quicker than anyone expected.

Source: SI.com

Jul 28 - 1:47 PM

Deshaun Watson completed 15-of-25 passes for 179 yards and rushed three times for 24 yards and a touchdown in the Texans' preseason opener.

Watson’s mobility adds a dimension statuesque Tom Savage simply doesn’t bring to the table, and the rookie made his best plays Wednesday night with his legs. His highlight was a fleet-footed 15-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. As a passer, Watson mostly worked between the numbers on high-percentage throws. While not an overly gifted arm talent, Watson checks boxes for playmaking ability and poise. It’s only a matter of time before the Texans determine Savage isn’t their best option.

Watson should run the first team offense.  A few over throws, but he looked really good otherwise.  Looked poised and comfortable in the pocket.  Read the defense well at the LOS and had some successful audibles upon recognizing blitzes.  He did not look lost at all.  

Watson should run the first team offense.  A few over throws, but he looked really good otherwise.  Looked poised and comfortable in the pocket.  Read the defense well at the LOS and had some successful audibles upon recognizing blitzes.  He did not look lost at all.  
I have no idea why they would waste any time with Tom Savage under center. He has zero upside and Watson can do everything that he can already plus offer mobility and the upside that will come with experience.

I have no idea why they would waste any time with Tom Savage under center. He has zero upside and Watson can do everything that he can already plus offer mobility and the upside that will come with experience.
If they have issues on the O-line with protection, they could want to hold back Watson until there's a higher chance of his success.  Some good QBs were thrust into the spotlight too soon and got beaten down.  IMO Watson definitely gives them a better chance of winning this year, but if he gets beat up and his confidence takes a hit, that could hurt him long term.

I agree.  I think they just don't want to make the mistake of just throwing Watson out there and would like him to learn a year or two without taking hits.  To me it has a lot to do with the offensive line.  I think Watson is every bit as poised and comfortable as Prescott.  Prescott had the benefit of a superior running game and great offensive line.  If the Texans can run the ball and protect, with that defense, Watson can certainly be successful sooner than later.  If he were constantly under fire, his development would be slowed.  

Still, he is the better QB on that team, imo, and it's only a matter of time until he takes over.  

If they have issues on the O-line with protection, they could want to hold back Watson until there's a higher chance of his success.  Some good QBs were thrust into the spotlight too soon and got beaten down.  IMO Watson definitely gives them a better chance of winning this year, but if he gets beat up and his confidence takes a hit, that could hurt him long term.
I was typing when you posted but we essentially say the same thing.  I agree.  If the line can protect and he can continue to read coverages/blitzes, I think he's going to be very successful and develop into a very good QB.  

I don't see him as a guy that couldn't handle some adversity and/or lose confidence in himself. To me the Texans are one of a few teams that would have any shot of making it past the Patriots to get to the Super Bowl (although in reality no team really does) so give yourself the best chance to win as many games as possible. A poor o-line works in Watson's favor given his mobility and poise and Savage's lack of mobility and poor pocket awareness.

There could be some value in showing him off some, and using him as a midseason trade piece to a team that is desperate due to injury. Savage is prolly better than most guys on the couch right now waiting for the same situation to happen and he is still on his rookie deal I believe so he is cheap to either retain or to an incoming team.

Also, it could just be truly reflective of where BOB thinks DWs development is at right now

Decent debut. If he had hit those two wide-open guys early it would have been an A+. Couple things that stood out to me:

• Def lacking in arm strength. Few of those outs took forever to get there
  • He's gonna need to run more to be both an effective NFL and FF QB
  • Good balance of taking chances vs. throwing it away when nothing there. Probably one of the more important traits for a young QB
Can't imagine him not being the week 1 starter. 

Decent debut. If he had hit those two wide-open guys early it would have been an A+. Couple things that stood out to me:

• Good balance of taking chances vs. throwing it away when nothing there. Probably one of the more important traits for a young QB
I noticed some bad drops in my first viewing of this.

I will need to watch again and look at the out routes as far as if he put enough juice on those or not.

I thought he showed good pocket presence and comfortable moving around back there.

I also think he will be their starter this season. 

I like Watson as well, but how can he have this issue in addition to facing the challenges of being a rookie learning the offense, gaining rapport with receivers and you still can't imagine the coaching staff choosing to start the guy with the strong arm who's been in the system for a few years?

I like Watson as well, but how can he have this issue in addition to facing the challenges of being a rookie learning the offense, gaining rapport with receivers and you still can't imagine the coaching staff choosing to start the guy with the strong arm who's been in the system for a few years?
Yeah I misspoke. I can imagine it. ;)

But I think after a September of Savage mediocrity if the team is 2-2 or worse they will throw Watson out there. I'm bearish on him in dynasty fwiw. 

he did not look nfl ready from the 15 or so snaps i watched 
He is a rookie QB playing on a short week on a team that just lost 3 TE's. They kept the game plan as vanilla as they could. He wasn't asked to throw a lot. He kept his composure even after taking some big hits. Is he startable right now in fantasy? Not really but I'd rather have him as a back up than a lot of other guys. I picked him up simply as a bye week replacement for my only other QB (Brady) down the road because he'll be playing Indy that week. By then I think he'll be a lot better as he grows into the position. It's going to be interesting to see how he does when they are behind in a game and they have to open up the playbook.

Getting fooled by coverages is not a huge deal.  These coverages and the level of DBs are well beyond what Watson had seen in college.  It takes acclimation.

I'm more bothered by his lack of wiilingness to even take a step into progressions and his one look and run mentality.  His pocket skills need a ton of work that he may never catch onto.

Getting fooled by coverages is not a huge deal.  These coverages and the level of DBs are well beyond what Watson had seen in college.  It takes acclimation.

I'm more bothered by his lack of wiilingness to even take a step into progressions and his one look and run mentality.  His pocket skills need a ton of work that he may never catch onto.
His weak arm was on full display when he tried to throw the out pattern(s) - he should have been picked off at least twice, maybe three times.

Unless he can develop some Chad Pennington accuracy and smarts he may never be a solid option. I'm not going to slam him too much - and I was a fan coming into the league - but last night really put his "cons" on full display. Last night he odds were stacked against him. Hopefully he can show some development.

His weak arm was on full display when he tried to throw the out pattern(s) - he should have been picked off at least twice, maybe three times.

Unless he can develop some Chad Pennington accuracy and smarts he may never be a solid option. I'm not going to slam him too much - and I was a fan coming into the league - but last night really put his "cons" on full display. Last night he odds were stacked against him. Hopefully he can show some development.

I was a fan if his when he had finished his college career too, but started having reservations as some of the flaws started to get exposed.  The lack of arm strength definitely gave me pause.  I'm pulling for him to develop too.  We need better QBs in the league.  But I did not realize just how far away Watson is.  

Wait, you were a fan of his coming into the league but not any longer after one and a half games? 

He is a rookie QB playing on a short week on a team that just lost 3 TE's. They kept the game plan as vanilla as they could. He wasn't asked to throw a lot. He kept his composure even after taking some big hits. Is he startable right now in fantasy? Not really but I'd rather have him as a back up than a lot of other guys. I picked him up simply as a bye week replacement for my only other QB (Brady) down the road because he'll be playing Indy that week. By then I think he'll be a lot better as he grows into the position. It's going to be interesting to see how he does when they are behind in a game and they have to open up the playbook.
These are general reasons that have no basis in what he did on the field.  He's not comfortable in the pocket and gets the jitters. He may figure it out, but not likely to anytime soon with the offense he's playing with. 

Wow you guys are kind of pooping on him in this thread.  The Bengals have a solid defense and he was able to make several sustained drivers with both accurate throws and amazing scrambling ability. Yes, he needs some work on his progressions, but he has a quick delivery and seemed to have a good feel (on most plays) for when the pocket was collapsing.  I thought his accuracy was pretty good.

For a 22-year old making his first NFL start, I was impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread