What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

80's movies - which stand the test of time (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
I'm a very early 80's kid and grew up watching the same movies over and over. I watched Willow and Temple of Doom on repeat. Same VHS tape even!

Space Jam was a later movie, but I put it on for my kids this weekend and they had zero interest.

I'm curious if other haves have had success with other 80s-90s movies and their kids. Which movies stand the test of time?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the same boat - now that my son is 9 and more into watching different stuff, I have been thinking about some 80s movies. Still surprises me sometimes when I go back and watch stuff just how much swearing/older content there is in the 80s movies. I guess we survived it, but just funny looking at it through parent eyes now. Even though he has seen a couple pg-13 Marvel movies, some of the stuff in the 80s movies makes me cringe a tad. Sorry for the slight rant...

A couple movies that he has watched and liked so far:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: after playing Civilization, he is into history and different leaders. He loved the movie. Watched it last year and said it was one of the best movies he has seen

Neverending Story - watched this with grandpa and liked it. Didn't seem to have trouble with the parts I thought were scary as a kid.

The next movies I am considering watching with him:

Karate Kid

Goonies

The Last Starfighter

The Princess Bride

I am also curious which movies people have had success with when watching them with their kids.

When at the video stores families seemed to have a lot of fun with the 80s movies and all listed so far in the thread seemed like big hits for everyone.

Also: Pee Wee Big Adventure, Space Camp, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, E.T., Iron Eagle and others had good hit rates too.

My wife would say Labyrinth. She loves that damn movie (cats named Ludo and Sir Didymus). I somehow missed it in the '80's, and tried to watch it with her years ago. I couldn't take it for the first time as an adult, but I could see today's kids enjoying it.

But yeah, I'd say Goonies and Breakfast Club should both be timeless.

I am in the same boat - now that my son is 9 and more into watching different stuff, I have been thinking about some 80s movies. Still surprises me sometimes when I go back and watch stuff just how much swearing/older content there is in the 80s movies. I guess we survived it, but just funny looking at it through parent eyes now. Even though he has seen a couple pg-13 Marvel movies, some of the stuff in the 80s movies makes me cringe a tad. Sorry for the slight rant...

A couple movies that he has watched and liked so far:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: after playing Civilization, he is into history and different leaders. He loved the movie. Watched it last year and said it was one of the best movies he has seen

Neverending Story - watched this with grandpa and liked it. Didn't seem to have trouble with the parts I thought were scary as a kid.

The next movies I am considering watching with him:

Karate Kid

Goonies

The Last Starfighter

The Princess Bride

I am also curious which movies people have had success with when watching them with their kids.

When at the video stores families seemed to have a lot of fun with the 80s movies and all listed so far in the thread seemed like big hits for everyone.

Also: Pee Wee Big Adventure, Space Camp, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, E.T., Iron Eagle and others had good hit rates too.
The Princess Bride is a good one. The whole family will watch that.

Goonies is worth a shot.

Not a movie but I bought my kids the box set of Tom and Jerry. We all loved it. Good old fashion cartoons. I suppose Luna tunes would have the same effect.

Ghostbusters is a great one. Great thread idea. They just don't make PG movies anymore - although some old PG are a little heavy on language. Original bad news bears is top 5 all time, but kids will learn some new words.

We just watched Kidco and it went over well. Probably do the Toy next.

Raising Arizona was a hit. ET, raiders of the lost ark, space balls. Anything by Adam sandler.

What about Bob. Groundhog Day.

Not 80's, but my now 10 year old son loves Napoleon dynamite.

You know what hasn't aged well? Fletch. Unbearably slow. We turned off coming to America for the same reason.

Airplane and the Naked Gun, on the other hand - - we've watched multiple times.

Users who are viewing this thread