Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JohnnyU

O. J Howard TE Alabama

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, davearm said:

Howard has all of 12 targets in 4 games.  I was researching him too as a potential buy low, but unless/until he starts seeing more than 3 balls a game, I'd say he's more in the avoid category.

the emergence of Godwin and the effectiveness of Evans has hurt his targets considerably. Howard can be valuable in the red zone still but it's hard to believe he's going to overtake either in Winston's order of preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 8:09 PM, Football Jones said:

I wouldn't count on Arians changing things. Remember, this is the same guy who kept DJ chained up his rookie season until forced into giving him more PT due to an injury. He's also the guy who gave Barber the vast majority of touches in week 2 after RoJo outplayed him in week 1.

Arians might be a good offensive mind, but he can be a stubborn SOB.

This. Good luck if you have OJ Howard. He'll have a game or two but it will be on your bench. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Quote

O.J. Howard caught 1-of-2 targets for 10 yards in the Bucs' Week 5 loss to the Saints.

Ghostly. Invisible Howard now has 11 catches for 141 yards through five contests. Mike Evans and Chris Godwin have both bettered that in single games. Howard has not reached five targets since Week 1. It's hard to call a talent like Howard droppable, but he's not currently startable in 12-team re-draft leagues.

 

Edited by The Frankman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

 

i believe in his talent and ability but the offense is killing his value. i can't drop him but have to hope for a brighter future somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 8:45 PM, TwinTurbo said:

This. Good luck if you have OJ Howard. He'll have a game or two but it will be on your bench. 

That's exactly it. I started benching him this week, I have him almost everywhere. Great player but damn this is disappointing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dynasty value watch? Buy low or sell low?

 

As an owner all you can do is hold at this point. Or in bitcoin terms... HODL (Hold on for dear life)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think you have to hold in dynasty. Hold on for what, however, I don't know. @FF Ninja has a nice breakdown in another thread of Arians's targeting of TEs in the past, and he hasn't been as bad as people usually think. But Howard obviously isn't any part of the game plan and I can't tell if that's because they need him in blocking or if there's some other reason. I didn't necessarily expect a TE friendly scheme but this is a desert. Arians isn't going anywhere. So if it is his system then we're stuck. Maybe they trade him. Or switch him to kicker so he can quadruple his current production.

Edited by DAG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s over, Rover. He’s gonna cost me a W for first time this season. I’ve been able to ride out the bad weeks, but now he finally got me. Praying Herndon gets the job done next week...if Bradford plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talent prevails!  Only with work ethic and a positive attitude which Ariens has called him out on for slacking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh.    With Waller on bye this week, he will be in my line up.  Anything over 0 points will be a win.   Cannot believe how wrong I was on this guy.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Ugh.    With Waller on bye this week, he will be in my line up.  Anything over 0 points will be a win.   Cannot believe how wrong I was on this guy.   

top 6 TE by most experts for fantasy this year.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DAG said:

I think you have to hold in dynasty. Hold on for what, however, I don't know. @FF Ninja has a nice breakdown in another thread of Arians's targeting of TEs in the past, and he hasn't been as bad as people usually think. But Howard obviously isn't any part of the game plan and I can't tell if that's because they need him in blocking or if there's some other reason. I didn't necessarily expect a TE friendly scheme but this is a desert. Arians isn't going anywhere. So if it is his system then we're stuck. Maybe they trade him. Or switch him to kicker so he can quadruple his current production.

His contract run through 2021 so basically you hold him in hopes he signs to a better situation in 2021-2022.  Frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, az_prof said:

His contract run through 2021 so basically you hold him in hopes he signs to a better situation in 2021-2022.  Frustrating.

That actually cheers me up 😄. I hadn't checked when his contract was up. 2022 is going to be amazing

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Joe Summer said:

This guy shouldn't have been in any expert's Top-20 in their preseason rankings.

Agreed. I avoided him in all 15 redrafts I did. I only own him in dynasty. Didn’t like Arians going there and seems that fear was correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

Agreed. I avoided him in all 15 redrafts I did. I only own him in dynasty. Didn’t like Arians going there and seems that fear was correct. 

Can't really agree. Top 20? Sure, he definitely belonged there based on the past 2 seasons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O.J. Howard just caught a foul ball at the Houston/Tampa Bay playoff game.

At least he got one target.

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wormburner said:

O.J. Howard just caught a foul ball at the Houston/Tampa Bay playoff game.

At least he got one target.

Best catch he's made all year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Buccaneers OC Byron Leftwich said O.J. Howard's "time is coming."

But when? Howard has been among the year's biggest letdowns in fantasy, ranking 17th among tight ends in yards (141), 23rd in catches (11) and 26th in targets (14), all while garnering PFF's worst run-blocking grade out of 68 positional qualifiers. The 2017 first-rounder is still plenty talented, though obviously he's gone through some growing pains adjusting to Leftwich's new scheme. Maybe a second wind is coming, but at present, Howard is barely worth rostering, even at a sparse fantasy position.

SOURCE: Scott Smith on Twitter

Oct 10, 2019, 1:25 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jman18980 said:

Patriots should trade for him.  He's being wasted in TB

the only reason why I'm still holding.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Faust said:

 

 

Hmmm.

Howard also had 6-53-2 last year against CAR. And CAR hasn't exactly faced a murderer's row of TEs this year.

Hmmm again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Hmmm.

Howard also had 6-53-2 last year against CAR. And CAR hasn't exactly faced a murderer's row of TEs this year.

Hmmm again.

Please don't get our hopes up.   I have to start Howard this week.   I'm hoping for anything above a goose egg.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wasted talent. trade him already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Hmmm.

Howard also had 6-53-2 last year against CAR. And CAR hasn't exactly faced a murderer's row of TEs this year.

Hmmm again.

Different coach and offense.  He did a lot of amazing things last year prior to injury.

Edited by SCT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't buy it for a second.

Punting on this guy.

Edited by Mr. Landry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Hmmm.

Howard also had 6-53-2 last year against CAR. And CAR hasn't exactly faced a murderer's row of TEs this year.

Hmmm again.

We have to consider Howard played against Carolina in Week 2 this year and went 0-0-0 with 0 targets.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be interesting to see if he gets traded.  Bucs just don’t seem to need or want a full on receiving TE and Winston loves him some Brate.  There’s some teams that could and probably would use Howard better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want Winston to look at him this week. OJ is running a lot of routes but Winston doesn't give him many opportunities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, That one guy said:

Be interesting to see if he gets traded.  Bucs just don’t seem to need or want a full on receiving TE and Winston loves him some Brate.  There’s some teams that could and probably would use Howard better

Brate is the full on receiving TE.  Howard is better at both blocking and receiving than Brate... Brate is bad at blocking.  It's odd that Howard doesn't get more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

Brate is the full on receiving TE.  Howard is better at both blocking and receiving than Brate... Brate is bad at blocking.  It's odd that Howard doesn't get more. 

Brate is 10/72/1 of off 11 targets. Howard is 11/141/0 off of 14 targets. 

I don't think it's clear that Brate is the full on receiving TE.

I think the comment about Godwin killing TE production is more apt here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Brate is 10/72/1 of off 11 targets. Howard is 11/141/0 off of 14 targets. 

I don't think it's clear that Brate is the full on receiving TE.

I think the comment about Godwin killing TE production is more apt here.

I meant skill set wise.  Brate can't block. 

Edited by kittenmittens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kittenmittens said:

I meant skill set wise

Got it.

Fair point, although I am not sure even from a skill perspective there is that clear of a difference. But TBH have not watched tons of either player playing to make that determination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

I just want Winston to look at him this week. OJ is running a lot of routes but Winston doesn't give him many opportunities. 

It isn't Winston.  Howard is the 4th or 5th read in this offense.  He may be open, but Winston playing within the structure is looking for Evans, Godwin, WR3 (5'8 Scotty Miller had multiple targets last week), RB check down, before Howard even gets a look.  They've run a handful of TE featured plays for he and Brate, but Howard hasn't capitalized on the few chances he's had.

We were told heading into the season that this coaching staff would cater to the talent of the players.  Unfortunately for Bucs' fans and Howard it's more of the same with another coaching staff making the players conform to their scheme. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird things happen in London games.

OJ Howard running free for a 65-yard TD, that would be pretty weird, wouldn't it?

I really don't have much of a choice. Waller on bye and Herndon was fools gold. I'm strarting him.

Pray for me.

 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Skoo said:

Weird things happen in London games.

OJ Howard running free for a 65-yard TD, that would be pretty weird, wouldn't it?

I really don't have much of a choice. Waller on bye and Herndon was fools gold. I'm strarting him.

Pray for me.

 

Same situation for me just hope Howard catches one of the handful of TDs I figure he will get this season. 

Edited by johnnyboy8102
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Weird things happen in London games.

OJ Howard running free for a 65-yard TD, that would be pretty weird, wouldn't it?

I really don't have much of a choice. Waller on bye and Herndon was fools gold. I'm strarting him.

Pray for me.

 

I also have Waller on bye. Witten, Fant and Davis are on the WW but for some stupid reason I’m feeling we get lucky this week...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Skoo said:

Weird things happen in London games.

OJ Howard running free for a 65-yard TD, that would be pretty weird, wouldn't it?

I really don't have much of a choice. Waller on bye and Herndon was fools gold. I'm strarting him.

Pray for me.

 

He's had multiple big plays like this in his career.  It's a shame the new offensive staff would rather feed the likes of Breshad Perriman, Scotty Miller, and BoBo Wilson than Howard.  I thought Arians was smart?  Same old crap.  He rolls out his ancient playbook for Leftwich to call for him and the TE is an afterthought.  Probably only going to get worse for Howard too, if that's possible, as the right tackle is going to need some help on the outside.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Skoo said:

Weird things happen in London games.

OJ Howard running free for a 65-yard TD, that would be pretty weird, wouldn't it?

I really don't have much of a choice. Waller on bye and Herndon was fools gold. I'm strarting him.

Pray for me.

 

I finally benched him, for everett. 

So OJ will go off today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grahamburn said:

He's had multiple big plays like this in his career.  It's a shame the new offensive staff would rather feed the likes of Breshad Perriman, Scotty Miller, and BoBo Wilson than Howard.  I thought Arians was smart?  Same old crap.  He rolls out his ancient playbook for Leftwich to call for him and the TE is an afterthought.  Probably only going to get worse for Howard too, if that's possible, as the right tackle is going to need some help on the outside.

I think part of his scheme sacrafices TE routes in order to make sure the vertical routes have enough time to develop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.