What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE O.J. Howard, Raiders (7 Viewers)

Howard has all of 12 targets in 4 games.  I was researching him too as a potential buy low, but unless/until he starts seeing more than 3 balls a game, I'd say he's more in the avoid category.
the emergence of Godwin and the effectiveness of Evans has hurt his targets considerably. Howard can be valuable in the red zone still but it's hard to believe he's going to overtake either in Winston's order of preference.

I wouldn't count on Arians changing things. Remember, this is the same guy who kept DJ chained up his rookie season until forced into giving him more PT due to an injury. He's also the guy who gave Barber the vast majority of touches in week 2 after RoJo outplayed him in week 1.

Arians might be a good offensive mind, but he can be a stubborn SOB.
This. Good luck if you have OJ Howard. He'll have a game or two but it will be on your bench. 

O.J. Howard caught 1-of-2 targets for 10 yards in the Bucs' Week 5 loss to the Saints.

Ghostly. Invisible Howard now has 11 catches for 141 yards through five contests. Mike Evans and Chris Godwin have both bettered that in single games. Howard has not reached five targets since Week 1. It's hard to call a talent like Howard droppable, but he's not currently startable in 12-team re-draft leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
i believe in his talent and ability but the offense is killing his value. i can't drop him but have to hope for a brighter future somewhere else.

This. Good luck if you have OJ Howard. He'll have a game or two but it will be on your bench. 
That's exactly it. I started benching him this week, I have him almost everywhere. Great player but damn this is disappointing

Dynasty value watch? Buy low or sell low?

As an owner all you can do is hold at this point. Or in bitcoin terms... HODL (Hold on for dear life)

I think you have to hold in dynasty. Hold on for what, however, I don't know. @FF Ninja has a nice breakdown in another thread of Arians's targeting of TEs in the past, and he hasn't been as bad as people usually think. But Howard obviously isn't any part of the game plan and I can't tell if that's because they need him in blocking or if there's some other reason. I didn't necessarily expect a TE friendly scheme but this is a desert. Arians isn't going anywhere. So if it is his system then we're stuck. Maybe they trade him. Or switch him to kicker so he can quadruple his current production.

It’s over, Rover. He’s gonna cost me a W for first time this season. I’ve been able to ride out the bad weeks, but now he finally got me. Praying Herndon gets the job done next week...if Bradford plays.

Talent prevails!  Only with work ethic and a positive attitude which Ariens has called him out on for slacking.  

DAG said:
I think you have to hold in dynasty. Hold on for what, however, I don't know. @FF Ninja has a nice breakdown in another thread of Arians's targeting of TEs in the past, and he hasn't been as bad as people usually think. But Howard obviously isn't any part of the game plan and I can't tell if that's because they need him in blocking or if there's some other reason. I didn't necessarily expect a TE friendly scheme but this is a desert. Arians isn't going anywhere. So if it is his system then we're stuck. Maybe they trade him. Or switch him to kicker so he can quadruple his current production.
His contract run through 2021 so basically you hold him in hopes he signs to a better situation in 2021-2022.  Frustrating.

His contract run through 2021 so basically you hold him in hopes he signs to a better situation in 2021-2022.  Frustrating.
That actually cheers me up 😄. I hadn't checked when his contract was up. 2022 is going to be amazing

• Laughing
Reactions: SCT
Joe Summer said:
This guy shouldn't have been in any expert's Top-20 in their preseason rankings.
Agreed. I avoided him in all 15 redrafts I did. I only own him in dynasty. Didn’t like Arians going there and seems that fear was correct. 

Buccaneers OC Byron Leftwich said O.J. Howard's "time is coming."

But when? Howard has been among the year's biggest letdowns in fantasy, ranking 17th among tight ends in yards (141), 23rd in catches (11) and 26th in targets (14), all while garnering PFF's worst run-blocking grade out of 68 positional qualifiers. The 2017 first-rounder is still plenty talented, though obviously he's gone through some growing pains adjusting to Leftwich's new scheme. Maybe a second wind is coming, but at present, Howard is barely worth rostering, even at a sparse fantasy position.

SOURCE: Scott Smith on Twitter

Oct 10, 2019, 1:25 PM ET

Hmmm.

Howard also had 6-53-2 last year against CAR. And CAR hasn't exactly faced a murderer's row of TEs this year.

Hmmm again.
Please don't get our hopes up.   I have to start Howard this week.   I'm hoping for anything above a goose egg.  

Hmmm.

Howard also had 6-53-2 last year against CAR. And CAR hasn't exactly faced a murderer's row of TEs this year.

Hmmm again.
Different coach and offense.  He did a lot of amazing things last year prior to injury.

Be interesting to see if he gets traded.  Bucs just don’t seem to need or want a full on receiving TE and Winston loves him some Brate.  There’s some teams that could and probably would use Howard better

I just want Winston to look at him this week. OJ is running a lot of routes but Winston doesn't give him many opportunities. 

Be interesting to see if he gets traded.  Bucs just don’t seem to need or want a full on receiving TE and Winston loves him some Brate.  There’s some teams that could and probably would use Howard better
Brate is the full on receiving TE.  Howard is better at both blocking and receiving than Brate... Brate is bad at blocking.  It's odd that Howard doesn't get more. 

Brate is the full on receiving TE.  Howard is better at both blocking and receiving than Brate... Brate is bad at blocking.  It's odd that Howard doesn't get more. 
Brate is 10/72/1 of off 11 targets. Howard is 11/141/0 off of 14 targets. 

I don't think it's clear that Brate is the full on receiving TE.

I think the comment about Godwin killing TE production is more apt here.

Brate is 10/72/1 of off 11 targets. Howard is 11/141/0 off of 14 targets. 

I don't think it's clear that Brate is the full on receiving TE.

I think the comment about Godwin killing TE production is more apt here.
I meant skill set wise.  Brate can't block. 

I just want Winston to look at him this week. OJ is running a lot of routes but Winston doesn't give him many opportunities. 
It isn't Winston.  Howard is the 4th or 5th read in this offense.  He may be open, but Winston playing within the structure is looking for Evans, Godwin, WR3 (5'8 Scotty Miller had multiple targets last week), RB check down, before Howard even gets a look.  They've run a handful of TE featured plays for he and Brate, but Howard hasn't capitalized on the few chances he's had.

We were told heading into the season that this coaching staff would cater to the talent of the players.  Unfortunately for Bucs' fans and Howard it's more of the same with another coaching staff making the players conform to their scheme. 

Weird things happen in London games.

OJ Howard running free for a 65-yard TD, that would be pretty weird, wouldn't it?

I really don't have much of a choice. Waller on bye and Herndon was fools gold. I'm strarting him.

Pray for me.

OJ Howard running free for a 65-yard TD, that would be pretty weird, wouldn't it?

I really don't have much of a choice. Waller on bye and Herndon was fools gold. I'm strarting him.

Pray for me.
Same situation for me just hope Howard catches one of the handful of TDs I figure he will get this season. 

Pray for me.
I also have Waller on bye. Witten, Fant and Davis are on the WW but for some stupid reason I’m feeling we get lucky this week...

Pray for me.
He's had multiple big plays like this in his career.  It's a shame the new offensive staff would rather feed the likes of Breshad Perriman, Scotty Miller, and BoBo Wilson than Howard.  I thought Arians was smart?  Same old crap.  He rolls out his ancient playbook for Leftwich to call for him and the TE is an afterthought.  Probably only going to get worse for Howard too, if that's possible, as the right tackle is going to need some help on the outside.

Pray for me.
I finally benched him, for everett. 

So OJ will go off today

Grahamburn said:
He's had multiple big plays like this in his career.  It's a shame the new offensive staff would rather feed the likes of Breshad Perriman, Scotty Miller, and BoBo Wilson than Howard.  I thought Arians was smart?  Same old crap.  He rolls out his ancient playbook for Leftwich to call for him and the TE is an afterthought.  Probably only going to get worse for Howard too, if that's possible, as the right tackle is going to need some help on the outside.
I think part of his scheme sacrafices TE routes in order to make sure the vertical routes have enough time to develop. 

Users who are viewing this thread