Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JohnnyU

O. J Howard TE Alabama

2017 NFL Draft Live Analysis: Fantasy Football Values Round 1

Excerpt:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: O.J. Howard, TE – Great for Jameis Winston, not so much for Cameron Brate. Howard is the most complete tight end in the draft, but there are question about his receiving upside after limited opportunities in college. Howard has a freak build and great athleticism, can overpower defenders and out-run linebackers. Simply put, a linebacker cannot defend him alone. Tight ends are notoriously slow to provide rookie value, and Brate showed he has value in the passing game. While this hurts Brate’s value, it also caps Howard’s value to a degree as a rookie, especially with Mike Evans dominating the red zone. Howard is a TE2, but he could find TE1 value in the second half or if Brate were to miss time. As for Winston, he was QB11 last year and is locked into QB1 value.

5 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Is Brate worth anything now? Asking for a friend...

Huge hit to Brate. He will still be out there especially at the start of the season but by the end of the season, if OJ is the real deal, look to trade Brate in the 1st couple weeks.

Bucs selected Alabama TE O.J. Howard with the No. 19 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Howard (6’6/251) was a dominant combination tight end in Alabama’s pro-style offense, wrapping his career with a 114-1,726-7 (15.1 YPR) receiving line and earning PFF College’s No. 1 run-blocking grade in 2016. A truly dominant blocker, Howard’s tape reveals a fiercely physical player who seeks out contact in line and on the move. Athletically, Howard posted top-five SPARQ results among tight ends at the Combine with wideout-like 4.51 speed and a position-best 6.85 three-cone time. Howard dropped only three passes over his final two seasons and has been compared to Greg Olsen by Rotoworld draft guru Josh Norris.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

Is Brate worth anything now? Asking for a friend...

I would expect the Bucs to utilize them both. Brate as a slot option and Howard on the line. Similar to how NE used Gronk and Hernandez. 

Jameis loves throwing to the TE.  Defending Tampa's offense is going to be quite difficult. 

On 1/25/2017 at 1:23 PM, Grahamburn said:

He certainly looks the part.  If I'm drafting for Tampa he's on the radar at #19 assuming Mike Williams and Corey Davis are gone.  I doubt he makes it out of the top 20.

I am not Jason Licht. 

42 minutes ago, Gandalf said:

So is it crazy for Howard to go at 1.6 in the draft?  I feel like his landing spot should bump him up. 

I have 1.3 & 1.6 and I'll take him there.

1 hour ago, lod001 said:

I have 1.3 & 1.6 and I'll take him there.

One of the four RB's or 2 WRs will still be there at 6. Which ones would you take him over?

9 minutes ago, kutta said:

One of the four RB's or 2 WRs will still be there at 6. Which ones would you take him over?

Pretty sure our draft goes like this
Fournette
Davis
Mixon (me)

So if OJ slides, Cook is gone as is either McCaffrey or Ross. Got 2 Bucs fans at #4 & #5 but #4 has Jordan Reed & #5 has Kelce.

I'd take him over Ross because I have Mixon over there and TB is going to throw the ball around it appears. Lot of mouths to feed but I think he gets a lot his way.

Not high on Mike Williams nor where he went. Rivers is as old as Manning.

5 minutes ago, grateful zed said:

im sitting at #14 and want him.  how far will i need to trade up?

to about 7 generally.  The top 4 RBs and two 2 WRs first, then it's a wide open situation. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, matttyl said:

to about 7 generally.  The top 4 RBs and two 2 WRs first, then it's a wide open situation. 

I've seen some drafts with Howard above Cook, but not many.

3 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

I've seen some drafts with Howard above Cook, but not many.

Yeah, that's why I said generally.  I'm at 10 and I'm pretty sure he won't go that far.  I'm also at 4, but don't think I'll go Howard that early. 

9 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I'm not anticipating him being available past #6.

Which of the four RB's and 2 WR's do you think will fall to 7?

I'm sitting at pick 7 and I'm super happy that I will get one of the 4 RB's, 2 WR's or Howard.

8 minutes ago, kutta said:

I'm sitting at pick 7 and I'm super happy that I will get one of the 4 RB's, 2 WR's or Howard.

I would be too, and if Howard is gone, the pick got even better.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kutta said:

Cook as said above. I have 6 and will take Mixon at 3 and Howard at 6 if he's there. With Winston at the helm, the sky's the limit for Howard.  ;)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kutta said:

Williams

43 minutes ago, kutta said:

Howard just went at 1.05 in a ppr league (no TE premium) ahead of Cook and Williams.

8 minutes ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

In a TE premium league, I'd expect Howard to be drafted top 5. 

In a 12 team, 1.5ppr for TEs, he's just about to go to the guy picking at 1.07.

fournette, Davis, Mixon, cook, mccaffrey, and Williams went before him. 

Edited by Boone22

1 minute ago, Boone22 said:

In a 12 team, 1.5ppr for TEs, he's just about to go to the guy picking at 1.07.

fournette, Davis, Mixon, cook, mccaffrey, and Williams went before him. 

Yeah, makes sense. If I wanted Howard and played in a TE premium league, I'd expect him to go top 5. Doesn't mean he will, but that's what I'd plan on if I were trying to move up to get him. I would personally draft him ahead of Mixon, Cook, Williams and Ross. 

7 minutes ago, grateful zed said:

what do you consider a te premium format?

Me? 1.5 ppr or 1.5 ppy. Any scoring format that rewards TE scoring higher than a WR 

Koetter:

“The first day of Senior Bowl practice in pads, Jason and I were sitting up at about the 35-yard line, and O.J. put on a clinic,” Koetter said. “After about two periods, I stood up and said, ‘Jason, I’ve seen the guy I want,’ and I walked down the stairs.”

• Like 2

This draft was filled with terrible landing spots. I'd take OJ Howard 1.01 in this draft but I wouldn't expect him to do much for 1-2 years. Still he's one of the best TE prospects I've seen in a while. He's going to be an incredible asset for the team that drafts him.

The issue for fantasy footballers is the amount of weapons on the passing offense all of a sudden.  Evans, DeSean Jackson, Humphries, Brate, and now Howard.  I'll mention Godwin as well, but I'd expect him to be more of a rotational player to give the other WRs a break, but that's still a ton of mouths to feed. 

Howard's blocking ability will keep him on the field for an extremely high percentage of snaps though.  Even in his rookie season. 

4 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

The issue for fantasy footballers is the amount of weapons on the passing offense all of a sudden.  Evans, DeSean Jackson, Humphries, Brate, and now Howard.  I'll mention Godwin as well, but I'd expect him to be more of a rotational player to give the other WRs a break, but that's still a ton of mouths to feed. 

Howard's blocking ability will keep him on the field for an extremely high percentage of snaps though.  Even in his rookie season. 

This is the way I look at it.  If Brate and Humphries are threats to his targets, then he's not very good.  I'm not knocking them, and really don't want to get into a discussion about their relative merits.  But Howard should be at another level, talent-wise.  

The big dogs eat, and everyone else fights for scraps.  

I'm not knocking Evans down fantasy rankings, and the best TE prospect in years just landed with one of the top young QBs in the league.  

I'm taking Howard at 1.7, I figure he's gonna be a TE1 for the next 12 years.  

• Like 1

Brate still led TEs in TDs in 2016.  Granted, I think some of that did have a lot to do with the lack of other weapons on the offense.  I would expect him to be used more often as a slot receiver now with Howard playing on the line.  But, they'll still likely move Howard all over the place.  I don't see why he'll need to ever come off the field in any situation, which is why it took Koetter and Licht about a tenth of a second to get his name up to the podium.

Tampa's offense is going to be difficult to stop.

On 5/3/2017 at 10:35 PM, Grahamburn said:

Koetter:

“The first day of Senior Bowl practice in pads, Jason and I were sitting up at about the 35-yard line, and O.J. put on a clinic,” Koetter said. “After about two periods, I stood up and said, ‘Jason, I’ve seen the guy I want,’ and I walked down the stairs.”

I'm sitting at 1.07, and every time I start hoping that someone drafts Howard early so one of the big 6 will fall to me, I read something like this and realize there's actually a big 7 and hope like heck Howard falls to 1.07.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kutta said:

I'm sitting at 1.07, and every time I start hoping that someone drafts Howard early so one of the big 6 will fall to me, I read something like this and realize there's actually a big 7 and hope like heck Howard falls to 1.07.

Nothing wrong with being extremely happy with a talent like this falling in your lap.  Just like the Bucs are.

Jameis loves throwing to the TE and Koetter loves calling plays for them. 

3 hours ago, kutta said:

just take OJ at 7....

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:40 PM, Rhythmdoctor said:

Yeah, makes sense. If I wanted Howard and played in a TE premium league, I'd expect him to go top 5. Doesn't mean he will, but that's what I'd plan on if I were trying to move up to get him. I would personally draft him ahead of Mixon, Cook, Williams and Ross. 

PPR; no TE premium. I would pick  Howard before William and Ross for sure.

I also visited the Engram thread. A few folks whose opinion I respect, say they rank Engram ahead of Howard for FF - comments mention more polished and better receiver.  Given the love here, they seem to be in the minority. I wasn't clear if one or more might have been speaking in regards to a redraft draft. 

I am not buying it. But again, a few who spoke up (including someone quoting Bloom) are voices that I respect and so it gave me pause. I realize that none of us have fore knowledge and that hindsight is 20/20...but for dynasty (PPR), is there a case to be made for Engram over Howard. 

On 5/6/2017 at 2:18 PM, Phantom Knight said:

I also visited the Engram thread. A few folks whose opinion I respect, say they rank Engram ahead of Howard for FF - comments mention more polished and better receiver.  Given the love here, they seem to be in the minority. I wasn't clear if one or more might have been speaking in regards to a redraft draft. 

I am not buying it. But again, a few who spoke up (including someone quoting Bloom) are voices that I respect and so it gave me pause. I realize that none of us have fore knowledge and that hindsight is 20/20...but for dynasty (PPR), is there a case to be made for Engram over Howard. 

I like Njoku and Engram over Howard.

Howard's got some legitimate bust qualities to him imo. At the very least, I don't see him becoming a dependable fantasy contributor. 

For starters, he's a 4 year player in a dominant offense, and yet his stats are pretty middling. Watching his highlights, the majority of his big plays come off broken coverage. I get that his speed helped turn those broken coverages into touchdowns, but you can't depend on that consistently in the NFL. He's also very straight-line, doesn't make anyone miss, doesn't break tackles, and doesn't show that he's dependable at making contested catches, which is the hallmark of NFL TEs. Not to mention there's been rumblings throughout his career that he's not the hard worker type. There's lots of reasons to believe Howard is the awesome athlete / medicore football player type. 

Not to mention his new teammate Cameron Brate had a pretty damn great season last year and showed great chemistry with Jameis Winston, plus Brate is still young himself, only 3 years older than Howard. 

Again, I don't see much of any reason to expect Howard to become a reliable fantasy contributor at any point in his career. I'd much prefer to take my chances on Evan Engram and Gerald Everett. 

Edited by Taishōgun