What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great American Draft II- Categories Set; 1st round set (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Let's make America great again!

ROUND 1

1. jwb Muhammad Ali (Cultural Icon)

2. Bobbylayne AUTOSKIP

3. PIK95 Jonathan Goldsmith (most recognized)

4. Officer Pete Malloy AUTOSKIP

5. Frostillicus AUTOSKIP

6. FUBAR Michael Phelps (male athlete)

7.stevegamer

8. Doug B

9. AAA Batteries

10. Ilov80s AUTOSKIP

Categories

1. Politician or statesman

2. Business mogul

3. Scientist/inventor

4. artsy novelist

5. popular novelist

6. writer, non-novelist

7. Male movie star

8. Female movie star

9. Male TV star

10. Female TV star

11. Football player (current, not retired)

12. Basketball player (current)

13. baseball player (current)

14. film director

15. songwriter

16. musician

17. vocalist

18. artist

19. male athlete (current, excluding football, basketball, and baseball)

20. cultural icon

21. bad guy

22. political pundit

23. talk show host

24. show runner or tv show writer

25. female athlete

26. underrated or forgotten

27. immigrant (not born here)

28. worthless or annoying celebrity

29. most recognized but nobody knows their name

30. wildcard

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a link to the last one? Interested, but not if it is all historical figures and such.
90% dead guys.

Round One1.Wikkidpissah Thomas Jefferson

2.Orange Crush Abraham Lincoln

3.Stevegamer Benjamin Franklin

4.Claydon George Washington

5.The Hank Martin Luther King, Jr.

6.BobbyLayne Franklin Delano Roosevelt

7.Greco Theodore Roosevelt

8.Thatguy Elvis Presley

9.Yankee23fan John Adams

10.Fennis Albert Einstein

11.Big Rocks Thomas Edison

12.Doug B Dwight D. Eisenhower

13.MisfitBlondes Oprah Winfrey

14.Arsenal of Doom John F. Kennedy

15.Mister CIA Muhammad Ali

16.FUBAR John Marshall

17.B Deep Henry Ford

18.Pskov 1420 Henry David Thoreau

19.Larry Boy Ronald Reagan

20.DCThunder Andrew Jackson

My inclination is to divide each category into 2: living and dead. So for instance, greatest deceased movie director, greatest living movie director, etc. (Not saying movie director will be a category).

Or, if we wanted to separate this draft completely, we could simply make it a "Greatest living American draft". I kind of like that too. Thoughts?

I would love to participate, but will be way too busy in the following weeks to properly devote any time. Happy to be a judge, though.

BobbyLayne said:
KarmaPolice said:
Is there a link to the last one? Interested, but not if it is all historical figures and such.
90% dead guys.

Round One

1.Wikkidpissah Thomas Jefferson

8.Thatguy Elvis Presley

9.Yankee23fan John Adams

16.FUBAR John Marshall

17.B Deep Henry Ford

Nevermind. Misinterpreted the draft.

BobbyLayne said:
KarmaPolice said:
90% dead guys.

Round One

8.Thatguy Elvis Presley

9.Yankee23fan John Adams

16.FUBAR John Marshall

17.B Deep Henry Ford

You might want to reconsider after you've read the categories.

In so far:

timschochet

Doug B

Officer Pete Malloy

FUBAR

higgins

BobbyLayne?

jwb

AcerFC

That's 7-8. We need to have about 15-20 to make this a real thing.

Walking Boot said:
timschochet said:
My inclination is to divide each category into 2: living and dead. So for instance, greatest deceased movie director, greatest living movie director, etc. (Not saying movie director will be a category).
1.01 Cam Newton

Any draft structure, no matter the categories, scoring, or criteria, in which Cam Newton is not 1.01 is inherently flawed
That will work, so long as one of the categories is "Overrated athletes who I currently despise".

Walking Boot said:
timschochet said:
1.01 Cam Newton

Any draft structure, no matter the categories, scoring, or criteria, in which Cam Newton is not 1.01 is inherently flawed
That will work, so long as one of the categories is "Overrated athletes who I currently despise".
:no:

Awesome athletes Tim hates.

BobbyLayne said:
KarmaPolice said:
90% dead guys.

Round One

8.Thatguy Elvis Presley

9.Yankee23fan John Adams

16.FUBAR John Marshall

17.B Deep Henry Ford

You might want to reconsider after you've read the categories.
Fair enough. I am more pop culture and entertainment, less historical figures and athletes.

OK, so in the past we did a Great American Draft, and two Great American Popular Culture Drafts. I am looking to combine the three and restrict it to LIVING PEOPLE ONLY. With that in mind, here are my proposed categories:

1. Politician or statesman

2. Business mogul

3. Scientist

4. Novelist

5. Bad guy

6. Political pundit/talk show host

7. Male movie star

8. Female movie star

9. Male TV star

10. Female TV star

11. Football player (current, not retired)

12. Basketball player (current)

13. baseball player (current)

14. film director

15. songwriter

16. musician

17. vocalist

18. artist

19. athlete (current, excluding football, basketball, and baseball)

20. show runner or TV writer

That's only 20 categories but since it's the first draft we've done in a long while, I think we should keep it relatively simple. Any thoughts or ideas?

inventor

philanthropist

maybe add those two and combine the gender categories?
I don't mind adding a few more if they make sense.

But I think that inventor is going to duplicate some of scientist and business mogul, and philanthropist may duplicate business mogul as well. What I want to avoid are categories in which:

1. It's very hard to come up with 15-20 options.

2. It's top heavy- meaning there are 3-4 guys everyone thinks of, and after that there's nobody special.

inventor

philanthropist

But I think that inventor is going to duplicate some of scientist and business mogul, and philanthropist may duplicate business mogul as well. What I want to avoid are categories in which:

2. It's top heavy- meaning there are 3-4 guys everyone thinks of, and after that there's nobody special.
With Shark Tank's popularity you may get a lot more options (not saying they are great Americans. I'd vote for the inventor of the Squatty Potty.

inventor

philanthropist

you need to ditch the Hillary avatar or it's a dead giveaway as the 1.01 bad guy.

I like the suggestion of Inventor and Philanthropist. They could be somewhat problematic in this exercise, though. Living inventors are hard to come up with because over the last 80 years or so, almost every notable invention has been a team effort. Living philanthropists in this day and age overlap a lot with business moguls.

Tim, the category list looks pretty solid to me. Two suggestions:

1) You have Novelist - would you consider an additional category of "Writer" to cover playwrights, non-fiction writers, print/online journalists, etc. A category for non-novelist "men/women of letters"?

2) You have "Political Pundit/Talk Show Host". Would you consider splitting those into "Political Pundit" (any medium) and "TV Host" (talk show, game show, special TV events, etc.)?

I like the suggestion of Inventor and Philanthropist. They could be somewhat problematic in this exercise, though. Living inventors are hard to come up with because over the last 80 years or so, almost every notable invention has been a team effort. Living philanthropists in this day and age overlap a lot with business moguls.

Tim, the category list looks pretty solid to me. Two suggestions:

1) You have Novelist - would you consider an additional category of "Writer" to cover playwrights, non-fiction writers, print/online journalists, etc. A category for non-novelist "men/women of letters"?

2) You have "Political Pundit/Talk Show Host". Would you consider splitting those into "Political Pundit" (any medium) and "TV Host" (talk show, game show, special TV events, etc.)?
These are both good ideas.

I also thought about dividing novelist into "literary novelist" and "popular novelist." I don't want to have to listen to Krista4 lecture me on how much better Nabakov was vs. Robert Ludlum. Let the foo foo crowd have their own category, and let those of us who like to read fun novels have ours.

IN!

timschochet said:
I also thought about dividing novelist into "literary novelist" and "popular novelist." I don't want to have to listen to Krista4 lecture me on how much better Nabakov was vs. Robert Ludlum. Let the foo foo crowd have their own category, and let those of us who like to read fun novels have ours.
OUT! :angry:

Kidding. I'm excited for this draft but can't participate. Will :popcorn: it, though.

One more possible category I'll throw out: Cultural Icon

This would be any living American who is or has been an American cultural icon. Interpretation can be pretty broad, but I'm thinking household names ... people who transcended their field and became icons. This category might work better if it's stipulated that the person has to not fit into another category -- obviously many athletes, entertainers, politicians, etc. have become iconic. But so have people in many other fields.

One more possible category I'll throw out: Cultural Icon

This would be any living American who is or has been an American cultural icon. Interpretation can be pretty broad, but I'm thinking household names ... people who transcended their field and became icons. This category might work better if it's stipulated that the person has to not fit into another category -- obviously many athletes, entertainers, politicians, etc. have become iconic. But so have people in many other fields.
I like this too. We need more people.

Another suggestion is to agree as much as possible on a judging scheme in advance. I know that for many, just the draft and reading the selections is the real fun, but some of us (i.e., me) enjoy the judging as well. That seemed to fall apart a bit (no one's fault) in recent timdrafts.

Another suggestion is to agree as much as possible on a judging scheme in advance. I know that for many, just the draft and reading the selections is the real fun, but some of us (i.e., me) enjoy the judging as well. That seemed to fall apart a bit (no one's fault) in recent timdrafts.
I will do all of the judging, and not participate in the draft itself. I'll set the guidelines later but let me say that my own opinions on greatness (such as the recent rankings in my thread) will play very little part- I will be looking for good argument on behalf of the drafters. We currently have 9 people in. That's enough for a draft, but I would like at least 12. 15-20 would be perfect. We'll start sometime next week so hopefully we can get some more people before we do.

I've never done one of these drafts but would be willing to participate if you are looking for more - count me IN. Do we have to do a write-up on each of our picks?

I've never done one of these drafts but would be willing to participate if you are looking for more - count me IN. Do we have to do a write-up on each of our picks?
You should though you can do it later. But it's nice to have some reasoning.Welcome aboard I guarantee you'll have fun

Users who are viewing this thread