What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jordan Howard , NO (2 Viewers)

I'm a little worried about Carey cutting into his snaps, but we always knew this was going to be a tough stretch in his schedule. After the next two weeks (MIN/bye), it gets a little easier, with only Tenn (Week 12) and the GB rematch in Week 15 looking scary. Plus the second MIN game is in Week 17, so most owners don't have to worry about that.
He might not even be the starter rest of the way. 

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
He might not even be the starter rest of the way. 
Posted this in another thread, but I still think Howard will emerge (once again) as the best option even when Langford is back.  But it'll take 3-4 weeks to play out.  I don't know about you guys, but I like cold weather RB's and Howard looks like a guy that could be valuable for the FF playoffs

They're staring at a 3, 4 win season with a 3rd string QB driving & UDFAs starting all over. They cannot stop anyone's passing attack. Could be looking a full blown 3-headed RBBC.

No longer interested in any CHI RB.

Posted this in another thread, but I still think Howard will emerge (once again) as the best option even when Langford is back.  But it'll take 3-4 weeks to play out.  I don't know about you guys, but I like cold weather RB's and Howard looks like a guy that could be valuable for the FF playoffs
If that's true then it's a sad statement about every running back on the team.

he showed zero vision, and got stuffed behind the line repeatedly in the 1st half. 0 yards after contact, no patience, just 1 step and crumbled to the ground like tissue paper.

added to that the fact that Carey dramatically outperformed him, gaining positive yads and chunk plays just about every time he touched the ball, well that doesn't bode well for his chances at being the man.

i own no shares of any Chicago players - just making observations based on what I saw last night. Howard was brutally ineffective.  

Last edited by a moderator:
They're staring at a 3, 4 win season with a 3rd string QB driving & UDFAs starting all over. They cannot stop anyone's passing attack. Could be looking a full blown 3-headed RBBC.

No longer interested in any CHI RB.
They completely smothered the Packers for over a half but got burnt out later in the game because the offense couldn't keep them off the field.

If that's true then it's a sad statement about every running back on the team.

he showed zero vision, and got stuffed behind the line repeatedly in the 1st half. 0 yards after contact, no patience, just 1 step and crumbled to the ground like tissue paper.

added to that the fact that Carey dramatically outperformed him, gaining positive yads and chunk plays just about every time he touched the ball, well that doesn't bode well for his chances at being the man.

i own no shares of any Chicago players - just making observations based on what I saw last night. Howard was brutally ineffective.  
Watching highlights of Howards first two starts tell a much different story.  Last night was terrible and Carey thoroughly outperformed him.  But I do not see him running away with the job.  Howard looked better than Langford and Langford beat out Carey two years in a row.  I think it's a messy situation right now, but my prediction is once Langford comes back, he'll get another chance to be the main back with Howard backing him up.  And Howard will eventually take the job back.  3-4 weeks it will take, but if you can hold on to him, I think Howard will be valuable eventually.  Especially at a time during the season where RB's can start dropping like flies, he'll have relatively fresh legs.

Dude got stuffed behind the line on every carry and Carey didn't. That's the story. I watched the entire game and, while frustrating, I didn't see Carey outperforming Howard. I saw Carey with a quicker first step which helped him hit holes faster.

Had nothing to do with vision. Howard is still a tremendous find off the WW. 

Also, one big thing to note: Carey was horrendous at pass-blocking. Howard is great at that. 

He'll be their starter, but not sure you want any RB on a team that will be dared to pass. 

Dude got stuffed behind the line on every carry and Carey didn't. That's the story. I watched the entire game and, while frustrating, I didn't see Carey outperforming Howard. I saw Carey with a quicker first step which helped him hit holes faster.

Also, one big thing to note: Carey was horrendous at pass-blocking. Howard is great at that. 

He'll be their starter, but not sure you want any RB on a team that will be dared to pass. 
Carey looked good. He's a different kind of back. Quicker to the hole.

Could totally see Fox doing a bit of Thunder n Lightning with Carey and Howard.

Carey looked good. He's a different kind of back. Quicker to the hole.

Could totally see Fox doing a bit of Thunder n Lightning with Carey and Howard.
The only thing worse in FFB than a split backfield is a split backfield in a terrible offense with a bad OL. 

I agree with everything you said here except maybe part about Howard being a tremendous WW find.

The big negative, and I've noticed this two weeks in a row now, is Carey  looks considerably quicker. That last part is worrisome because Carey is not really that quick.

Carey is more decisive with his running style, literally plays faster than Howard so that makes him look quicker but also because he is and to me it's a bit glaring. Howard looked a little to David Cobb like last night for my taste.

I'd guess this is an ugly RBBC for most of this season and in terms of dynasty I'd not hang my hat on any of them being the feature back.

I agree with everything you said here except maybe part about Howard being a tremendous WW find.

The big negative, and I've noticed this two weeks in a row now, is Carey  looks considerably quicker. That last part is worrisome because Carey is not really that quick.

Carey is more decisive with his running style, literally plays faster than Howard so that makes him look quicker but also because he is and to me it's a bit glaring. Howard looked a little to David Cobb like last night for my taste.

I'd guess this is an ugly RBBC for most of this season and in terms of dynasty I'd not hang my hat on any of them being the feature back.
Just meant he was a great WW find while it lasted. I'm gonna hold to see what this team looks like coming outta their bye but I wouldn't be hurt if I had to drop Howard for the next shiny thing. He paid off for me for about 3 weeks and stitched my team back together to help me pull out some close wins. 

But yeah, his best days may have come and gone unfortunately, but I don't think it's because Carey is that much better. It's because the team, as a whole, is that much worse. 

Just meant he was a great WW find while it lasted. I'm gonna hold to see what this team looks like coming outta their bye but I wouldn't be hurt if I had to drop Howard for the next shiny thing. He paid off for me for about 3 weeks and stitched my team back together to help me pull out some close wins. 

But yeah, his best days may have come and gone unfortunately, but I don't think it's because Carey is that much better. It's because the team, as a whole, is that much worse. 
I think Carey is a spare myself but that's kind of the problem when the spare looks as good or better.

I have Howard in one league, a dynasty league.  I offered him to Langford owner in the summer for Agholor and he laughed at my offer. Last weekend he made me an offer for a RB and when I rejected it I commented that you are not laughing now at that offer. Hubris, always brings me down.

I think Carey is a spare myself but that's kind of the problem when the spare looks as good or better.

I have Howard in one league, a dynasty league.  I offered him to Langford owner in the summer for Agholor and he laughed at my offer. Last weekend he made me an offer for a RB and when I rejected it I commented that you are not laughing now at that offer. Hubris, always brings me down.
I'm kind of the same way. I refused to read the tea leaves last game when Howard underperformed and I'm still going to defiantly hold onto him. I also thought Knile Davis was gonna be the answer in GB and I'm slapping myself for not looking more into Ty Montgomery instead of glomming onto the guy I already knew. 

The bears have taken a RB in the 4th and 5th round 3 years in a row now.  I'd say we know what Langford is and he's a backup type of RB.  Carey on the other hand was very highly sought after until the combine when his performance didn't quite match his game tape.  And now Howard who has "seized" opportunities so far and has, what seems to me is, starting a rough stretch for him.  Carey was the better runner in college among the group and I'm chalking his recent success to his approach to the game.  He's learned the game by now (year 3) and is playing at full speed without thinking and just playing football.  Some guys can do it and adjust themselves to what's in-front of them, some can't and those are the ones that don't hang around.  I think Howard will get there eventually but I think the situation to watch is if they take another RB next year or not.  If they don't it's a battle between Carey and Howard during training camp.  But either way Carey has earned his spot on the roster so he might always be that thorn in Howards side or something like that.  I doubt he goes away.

They completely smothered the Packers for over a half but got burnt out later in the game because the offense couldn't keep them off the field.
I was impressed with how well the Bears were covering for the first half. However the offense didn't sustain any drives and the zone won't hold up when you keep giving the other team so many chances.

I think there was a lack of adjustment to what Green Bay was doing in  the second half as well, but it was mainly just giving them too many opportunities.

Howard was going no where. Green Bays run defense is one of the better groups I have seen aside from the game against the Cowboys.

Also worth keeping in mind that Cutler will likely be back soon, perhaps as early as next week. Not that the offense will suddenly be great, but at least it won't be the dumpster fire it was in the second half.

I totally get bailing over the next couple weeks if you need the roster spot, but I'm trying to hold for now. 

There are at least 5 RBs in next years class that are 1st/2nd rounders. I hope the Bears draft one of them. 
That is an absolute terrible idea.  The Bears have drafted a RB the last 3 years and all three of them can do just fine on a good team.  There are so many more important positions to fill on that team.  The first rounds should be for the QB, DE and OL positions.

Chicago hasnt never really placed much emphasis on having a starr QB..  Id hope they hold off on drafting an early QB, until their OLine is dominating ..  Im fine with focusing on the defense this yr (if the quality presents itself)  But yeah (imho) the only thing worse than drafting a STUD RB, would be blowing a 1st on a QB.. 

For instance, I would thoroughly enjoy your take on Goff down in LA..  Im just saying yeah.. LA has a STUD RB, but hes working for everything (injury risk?) Does LA have a 1K WR?

The Bears let Marshall walk, and now have Jeffery (single yr contract).  White could be a WR1, Ya wont find me wastin my time arguing such a point.  But should the Bears turn down a STUD WR if offered in the draft?  I mean if the draftniks aint talking up some L Tackle?

Basically, taking a QB in the first would just be a copout.  Hey Colt fans..Basically the Bears aint QB ready.  Drafting a RB could appease some fans..  *Think Payton yrs..  Im not sure the number of 1st round RB's that Chicago has drafted, but I doubt it approaches humorous levels.  tbh I hadnt really considered Chicagos options.  But Im thinking a STUD DE would probably work the best..  Most positions are almost workable.

Chicago hasnt never really placed much emphasis on having a starr QB..  Id hope they hold off on drafting an early QB, until their OLine is dominating ..  Im fine with focusing on the defense this yr (if the quality presents itself)  But yeah (imho) the only thing worse than drafting a STUD RB, would be blowing a 1st on a QB.. 

For instance, I would thoroughly enjoy your take on Goff down in LA..  Im just saying yeah.. LA has a STUD RB, but hes working for everything (injury risk?) Does LA have a 1K WR?

The Bears let Marshall walk, and now have Jeffery (single yr contract).  White could be a WR1, Ya wont find me wastin my time arguing such a point.  But should the Bears turn down a STUD WR if offered in the draft?  I mean if the draftniks aint talking up some L Tackle?

Basically, taking a QB in the first would just be a copout.  Hey Colt fans..Basically the Bears aint QB ready.  Drafting a RB could appease some fans..  *Think Payton yrs..  Im not sure the number of 1st round RB's that Chicago has drafted, but I doubt it approaches humorous levels.  tbh I hadnt really considered Chicagos options.  But Im thinking a STUD DE would probably work the best..  Most positions are almost workable.
If Elliott would have dropped he would have been the RB for the Bears to take but there will not be a RB worth the Bears taking in the top 5.  If a stud QB presents itself then they need to draft him.  If no QB then it should be a pass rusher.  If neither are available then it should be an OL or even DB.  RB is pretty low on their list of priorities this coming draft.  The Bears should be drafting a QB every draft for the next 3 years minimum.

Anybody have any clue what is going on?

Carey gets more carries.

Langford is back at practice.

The Bears sign David Cobb to their PS.
They dropped Joique Bell and signed Cobb.  I wouldn't really read too much into that.  It's still Howard, Carey and Langford coming back.  I don't see much different going forward than what most of us thought weeks ago.

I was impressed with how well the Bears were covering for the first half. However the offense didn't sustain any drives and the zone won't hold up when you keep giving the other team so many chances.

I think there was a lack of adjustment to what Green Bay was doing in  the second half as well, but it was mainly just giving them too many opportunities.

Howard was going no where. Green Bays run defense is one of the better groups I have seen aside from the game against the Cowboys.
The threat of Matt Barkley didn't help, either. Let's put hot sauce (GB defense) on red peppers (Matt Barkley) and swallow it whole. *choke*

If Elliott would have dropped he would have been the RB for the Bears to take but there will not be a RB worth the Bears taking in the top 5.  If a stud QB presents itself then they need to draft him.  If no QB then it should be a pass rusher.  If neither are available then it should be an OL or even DB.  RB is pretty low on their list of priorities this coming draft.  The Bears should be drafting a QB every draft for the next 3 years minimum.
Do you realize that the Bears should almost hope for injury to the one that hits?  

Basically by the time the guy proves that he is a performer at the NFL level?  Hes become something that maybe upwards of Only 15 NFL Teams have (Franchise QB)  Do you think it makes sense to pay that man maybe upwards of $150M while letting potential stars in other positions walk?  Lets also forget all QBs, no matter the money care to risk their time in such a useless situation..  The Bears will need to be extremely smart on keeping talent that falls within acceptable pay levels.  In other words, players like Jeffery should be deemed totally expendable to maintain some ability to absorb salary's for future players that hit..  We would need to hope that the "one good Season" from a potential Stud MLB was indeed worthwhile, and not some fluke.  

In other words, when ya get close to having a "playoff team" your the proud owner of a draft pick and a STUD player on his last Season (maybe two if we dont count full Seasons)  Do YOU want to go play for them ?  Lets say your the eight yr veteran whose stuck behind Tom Brady.  Would ya think "Hell Yeah, now theres a challenge"  Im gonna go try to beat out a Big Ben type, and probably some Andrew Luck kinda guy.. 

QB for Chicago in the first five picks?  Now we all know who DaBears are...

p.s.  Im gonna let ya Win the argument!  I dont wanna discuss pitfalls of drafting "spread QB's" yearly who almost have no business impersonating a true WC QB

Do you realize that the Bears should almost hope for injury to the one that hits?  

Basically by the time the guy proves that he is a performer at the NFL level?  Hes become something that maybe upwards of Only 15 NFL Teams have (Franchise QB)  Do you think it makes sense to pay that man maybe upwards of $150M while letting potential stars in other positions walk?  Lets also forget all QBs, no matter the money care to risk their time in such a useless situation..  The Bears will need to be extremely smart on keeping talent that falls within acceptable pay levels.  In other words, players like Jeffery should be deemed totally expendable to maintain some ability to absorb salary's for future players that hit..  We would need to hope that the "one good Season" from a potential Stud MLB was indeed worthwhile, and not some fluke.  

In other words, when ya get close to having a "playoff team" your the proud owner of a draft pick and a STUD player on his last Season (maybe two if we dont count full Seasons)  Do YOU want to go play for them ?  Lets say your the eight yr veteran whose stuck behind Tom Brady.  Would ya think "Hell Yeah, now theres a challenge"  Im gonna go try to beat out a Big Ben type, and probably some Andrew Luck kinda guy.. 

QB for Chicago in the first five picks?  Now we all know who DaBears are...

p.s.  Im gonna let ya Win the argument!  I dont wanna discuss pitfalls of drafting "spread QB's" yearly who almost have no business impersonating a true WC QB
What the hell are you talking about?  I may need to read it over again but it just sounded like babble to me.

When Pace came to the Bears he said he likes to draft a QB every year and has yet to do it.  They are in a very bad spot now and need to get a QB to develop so they need to start drafting them.  I don't think they need to use an early first round pick on one but it all depends on who's available.  This year I'm not sold on any of the top QBs as of now.  This team needs play makers everywhere along with depth.

I really hope the Bears get a top pick and can get Garrett.

When Pace came to the Bears he said he likes to draft a QB every year and has yet to do it.   it sorta sounds like nauseating, repeated ___

This is passing on info which is almost worthless nonsense..  It wouldnt be so bad, but it risks the eyes missing plausible info based on years of a passion for NFL Ball..

Lets be clear..  You typed The first rounds should be for the QB in response to "Draft a real Back"   

My apology for trying to paint a picture for ya..  If ya wanna feel good about stating "Draft a QB in the 1st" with or without any considerations..  Its your God given right (Because of Vets)  But ya really think your totally right on this?  Has anybody tried confusing ya with "stories" such as Elway starring for the Colts? 

Hopefully, I have the Bears situation all wrong..  

"Foxy is done with Cutler".. 

Currently, the Bears have no developmental quarterback — sorry, Barkley. They have not drafted a QB higher than the fifth round since 2005 and passed up several would-be candidates in the past two drafts. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-bears-head-coach-john-fox-told-friends-hes-done-with-jay-cutler-165917812.html

Once again, I guess ya can state an opinion for no reason at all.  It just kinda irked me, because even the media is making RB's out to be akin to throw-away.  I have literally loved seeing some RB's work their magic.  YES, I watched the game when it was all run run, with little to no passing.  But a special RB, is a special RB!   Coach's, and teams can just have dumb luck, and Im sure some form of politics come into play..  (Im admitting that a fool-proof plan may not exist)

QB first eh..  Ya know Im trying to think if I actually recall too many instances of a sorry excuse for a team getting a STUD QB (in college) actually turn into an NFL PowerHouse..  I think its more a wet dream some cheap NFL Coach dreams up, which he thinks might keep him in his job..

Last note of "babble" logic:  IF all the Defenses are setup to stop the pass?  An awesome rushing game comes to town, and their gonna be exposed!  However the Greatest QB could have a bad day..

No hard feelings.. Dont change..  Own it!

On a side note..  I own Howard, and could really use him (may have too)  But hes on my bn..  I think its awful matchup anyway..  Guess that makes him an auto Start eh,,

From what I've seen of the Bears their defense is good & getting better.   Offense could help out the defense with a few 1st downs.    Bears schedule is brutal coming up.  

From what I've seen of the Bears their defense is good & getting better.   Offense could help out the defense with a few 1st downs.    Bears schedule is brutal coming up.  
Brutal? They play the Vikings and then a bye....but after that???? Which team is brutal?

Otis said:
After one bad game?

thehoch said:
Brutal? They play the Vikings and then a bye....but after that???? Which team is brutal?
The schedule isnt bad after the bye.  However he got outplayed by carey pretty badly the last two games and langford will be back post bye as well. Time to move on imo

your right.  Not brutal.
You might be right, just seeing who you thought was brutal.

I have Howard and picked up Carey and to be honest, I just want to drop both and play the RB lotto by picking up two back ups who might hit pay dirt. Probably better off the way RBs are dropping like flies this season.

You might be right, just seeing who you thought was brutal.

I have Howard and picked up Carey and to be honest, I just want to drop both and play the RB lotto by picking up two back ups who might hit pay dirt. Probably better off the way RBs are dropping like flies this season.
Yea, it's been such a cluster w/ RB especially when you have the new 3rd down back even though the 2 down back can catch the ball.   Cripes M. forte caught 90 balls not too long ago in a season and he's getting subbed.

Primary back is getting phased out and in PPR this creates a cluster.

Obviously didn't start him this week against MIN, but he looks pretty good. He's getting most of the touches/snaps too which is great.

This is hot hand approach, he has the hot hand. But will he have it next game or will Langford or Carey?
Maybe the consultant said, play the good kid not the sucky ones.

It's amazing, he was so far off my radar as an option for me this week I forgot I even owned him. I'm thin at the position where I own him too.

Users who are viewing this thread