What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jordan Howard , NO (1 Viewer)

Prob just punished for the fumble, way too coach em up John. Maybe try benching your QB for turning the ball over 3x in the first 15 minutes :shrug:
Exactly....Fox is one of the most overrated NFL coaches (along with Lewis and Fisher) and I suspect he will milk his Super Bowl appearance for a while longer.

He is maddingly frustrating with his RB usage going back to the Carolina days with Foster/Williams/Stewart and Denver with Anderson/Hillman.

Exactly....Fox is one of the most overrated NFL coaches (along with Lewis and Fisher) and I suspect he will milk his Super Bowl appearance for a while longer.

He is maddingly frustrating with his RB usage going back to the Carolina days with Foster/Williams/Stewart and Denver with Anderson/Hillman.
We've seen how ineffective Langford is and Carey is no more than a COP back, I just don't understand not wanting to get your talented rookie involved more.

understand the not trusting Fox factor, but with Alshon done they'll have to lean on the run game. Howard has handled the load fine and shown he can produce. No coach is dumb enough to ignore that... right? right? even with the "injury" Langford and Carey combined for 11 snaps in the game.

utilization aside, which doesn't concern me, this isn't a good matchup coming up even though I am starting him. on paper the Giants haven't given up 100 yards to any rusher this year. What does give me hope is Giants haven't faced any workhorse type back except Zeke in week 1, which was his first NFL game ever. I'm not implying in any way shape or form Howard is Zeke level talent, of course. but the rest of their schedule has been who's who of mediocre talent in the bottom half of statistics in rushing.

Howard said. "Then I injured my Achilles' a little bit at the end. I’m good now."

So i guess he did suffer somethin after all.

Really? Your buying that?
Coaches went to him and said, hey "You were hurt, when you talk to the media, tell them that."
He aint even on the injury report.

Not sure there is ever a "minor" injury to an achilles..  If its sore, or tight..  its about to snap..  I know from personal experience.

HW_53 said:
Not sure there is ever a "minor" injury to an achilles..  If its sore, or tight..  its about to snap..  I know from personal experience.
Yeah. He did limp off the field. This is worrisome

He had quite a few bad drops yesterday.  He'll still be the workhorse but the drops from yesterday and the fumble from the previous week may put a little damper in the confidence that Cutler and the coaching staff have in him.  I love the rotoworld blurb on him - "Howard actually drew a team-leading eight targets but Jay Cutler could complete only one of them" insinuating that it was Cutler's fault that he had a case of the dropsies

Last edited by a moderator:
Over 30 carries and 3 TD's yesterday and this thread is on page 12 because Bears.

He's a potential keeper for me now (We keep 3). The only other RB I have I'm considering is Dixon. When can we start wildly speculating on where he should be drafted next year? I mean, we can do that now, but there's probably going to be some major overhauls to the entire sorry franchise in the off-season.

So what are people thinking of the Detroit match-up? My worry is that they have a good run D and he's all they have; I could see the Lions keying on him and stymying the whole offense. On the other hand, he's been playing so well he may have just reached must-start status.

As of right now, he's in my line-up over Ajayi (and with Miller/Latavius). But my lineup card is written in pencil, ya know? 

Starting him over Gurley. He tore up Detroit last time and this will be a close game. 

So what are people thinking of the Detroit match-up? My worry is that they have a good run D and he's all they have; I could see the Lions keying on him and stymying the whole offense. On the other hand, he's been playing so well he may have just reached must-start status.

As of right now, he's in my line-up over Ajayi (and with Miller/Latavius). But my lineup card is written in pencil, ya know? 
Every team should be keying on him though, and he's still producing. They don't have many other threats. The Lions just held Brees to no TDs in New Orleans, which hasn't been done in 60+ games. Barkley is unlikely to have a ton of success throwing the ball, so the Bears, who are still trying to win as much as possible so Fox keeps his job, need to try to keep it close and keep the ball out of Stafford's hands. I'm expecting a lot of usage for Howard. He's in my Flex spot over Rawls, Riddick, Moncrief, Crabtree.

Um, Howard has been must start status for awhile now. 

I'm actually benching in favor of J. Hill @CLE.

I think Howard will be solid, but I think there's just enough game flow risk in that DET should control the game and their slow pace could minimize CHI offensive opportunities. Game is also in DET where they seem to play out of their minds.

If I didn't have another solid option Howard would be in my lineup.

What this guy has done on one of the worst offenses in the league with no qb and a garbage ol is every bit as impressive as what Elliott has done on the Cowboys.  Gets less attention because of his team.  But has to work on his hands. 

What this guy has done on one of the worst offenses in the league with no qb and a garbage ol is every bit as impressive as what Elliott has done on the Cowboys.  Gets less attention because of his team.  But has to work on his hands. 
That garbage OL you talk about has actually performed very well considering the turnover they've had there.  Howard has been fantastic but I would say it's been in spite of the OL.

No one would say the ol is remotely good.  Howard has been good enough to overcome it,  though.  Would rather have Howard in the 5th than Elliott in the top 10.  But Dallas could afford to take him. 

I'm actually benching in favor of J. Hill @CLE.

I think Howard will be solid, but I think there's just enough game flow risk in that DET should control the game and their slow pace could minimize CHI offensive opportunities. Game is also in DET where they seem to play out of their minds.

If I didn't have another solid option Howard would be in my lineup.
I'm in the same boat and also have Hill in over Howard.  I have watched every Lions game this year and we are pretty stout against the run.  While Howard has played incredibly well lately, I could see a very mediocre game on Sunday.  His upside still makes him a start unless you have another top 10 option (like Hill, however he has played so poorly lately that I could see Rex limiting his upside)

Sitton and Whitehair have been pretty good.  The tackles are pitiful but slightly better than earlier in season 

Sitton has done very well and so has Whitehair.  Massie was terrible in the first half of the season but has actually played well the last couple weeks.  Massies has been grading pretty high.  If you listen to any podcasts or radio talk shows about football you'd know that the Bears OL hasn't been terrible this year.  The worst they looked was when Cutler was QB and holding the ball to long.

I'm not saying they are like top 10 but they certainly are not bottom 5 like some seem to think they are.

OMG! Did you see that run vs GB week 15, first play after 2 minute warning! LOL That run epitomizes Jordan Howard. This guy is a freak.

Is this guy for real? No idea how to value him this offseason in dynasty
He's a solid RB but most likely a low RB1 or high RB2.  I have a bad feeling he's going to be overvalued next year.  I bet he goes in the early second round when he may need to be going in the early third, possibly late second.

Is this guy for real? No idea how to value him this offseason in dynasty
I think so but also don't know how to value him.  With a game to go, not playing in week one and limited snaps a few more weeks he's sitting as 28th best rookie runner since 1960. A 104 yards this week and he moves into top 20. The RB's in the top 20 are mainly guys who had at least a few good seasons. Some guy from 1986 I don't recall named Rueben Mayes I don't recall. Mike Anderson who was 27 as a rookie and this Mayes guy were probably two least productive. Alfred Morris, who had 4th best rookie rushing year ever,  was probably third worst of the top 20 RB's and someone I view as below Howard's floor. Add in over 5 YPC and functional use in passing game and a lot to like.

But more than stats he looks like an old school RB, nice size, really good vision.

I only own him on one team and we can only keep 14 position players and if Montgomery is listed as a RB next year as I suppose that will mean the team  I carry him on will have 6 RB's out of 14 keepers and I have picks 1 and 3 so barring trade I see me adding at least another RB so I have a big need to move a RB if I can get equitable cost. I tried moving Howard near the trade deadline, which was before kickoff in week 11 and the market was flat. He's closed pretty strong since but I still wonder what his market value might be. I know back in week 11  I was trying to move him for a mid to late 2017 first and now that's not enough.  I'll keep him or move another RB if that's all I can get.

I think so but also don't know how to value him.  With a game to go, not playing in week one and limited snaps a few more weeks he's sitting as 28th best rookie runner since 1960. A 104 yards this week and he moves into top 20. The RB's in the top 20 are mainly guys who had at least a few good seasons. Some guy from 1986 I don't recall named Rueben Mayes I don't recall. Mike Anderson who was 27 as a rookie and this Mayes guy were probably two least productive. Alfred Morris, who had 4th best rookie rushing year ever,  was probably third worst of the top 20 RB's and someone I view as below Howard's floor. Add in over 5 YPC and functional use in passing game and a lot to like.

But more than stats he looks like an old school RB, nice size, really good vision.

I only own him on one team and we can only keep 14 position players and if Montgomery is listed as a RB next year as I suppose that will mean the team  I carry him on will have 6 RB's out of 14 keepers and I have picks 1 and 3 so barring trade I see me adding at least another RB so I have a big need to move a RB if I can get equitable cost. I tried moving Howard near the trade deadline, which was before kickoff in week 11 and the market was flat. He's closed pretty strong since but I still wonder what his market value might be. I know back in week 11  I was trying to move him for a mid to late 2017 first and now that's not enough.  I'll keep him or move another RB if that's all I can get.
I own Howard in a 12 team, Keep 12 league but also lucky enough to have Zeke and Bell, so I expect to try to move Howard in the new year for a low end WR1 if possible. 

He's a solid RB but most likely a low RB1 or high RB2.  I have a bad feeling he's going to be overvalued next year.  I bet he goes in the early second round when he may need to be going in the early third, possibly late second.
On the surface I tend to agree with the bolded but then I start actually listing out the RB's and he seems to come in range more of mid to low end RB1, at which point I'd probably go WR.

But to give an idea of how other people might value him. I was just listening to NFL Fantasy Live which I fully understand is geared towards non-PPR, 10 team league league type advice, not a show for the hardcore fantasy guy. So getting that out of the way and understanding the show for what it is and what it is not they were holding a first round mock draft for 2017 and someone took Howard at pick 8 I think, give or take a pick, as RB5 (big 3 and McCoy). Now here is more interesting part.  They indicated they discussed this before airing and felt that after the big 3 and McCoy that Gordon and Howard where in a group of their own and a big dropoff after them. I don't agree in PPR leagues but they are not talking about PPR either. Just providing some idea of how other people might value him. I like him but seems a bit high to me.

On the surface I tend to agree with the bolded but then I start actually listing out the RB's and he seems to come in range more of mid to low end RB1, at which point I'd probably go WR.

But to give an idea of how other people might value him. I was just listening to NFL Fantasy Live which I fully understand is geared towards non-PPR, 10 team league league type advice, not a show for the hardcore fantasy guy. So getting that out of the way and understanding the show for what it is and what it is not they were holding a first round mock draft for 2017 and someone took Howard at pick 8 I think, give or take a pick, as RB5 (big 3 and McCoy). Now here is more interesting part.  They indicated they discussed this before airing and felt that after the big 3 and McCoy that Gordon and Howard where in a group of their own and a big dropoff after them. I don't agree in PPR leagues but they are not talking about PPR either. Just providing some idea of how other people might value him. I like him but seems a bit high to me.
The issue with RBs is after that first-tier group (Johnson, Bell, Elliott and probably McCoy and Gordon) there's a big drop off...so you may look at a guy like Howard and not be overly impressed...and than you look at what else is out there and suddenly you realize you could be doing far worse...

Exactly. Same sentiment applies to rookie drafts when people say so-and-so isn't worth a low first rounder but you have to count 10 guys better and sometimes a meh guy ends up being a first rounder by process of elimination. 

If the Bears will get a new OC and a tackle this off season,  Whitehair,  Long,  and Sitton will all be back and Howard will be a stud. 

flapgreen said:
If the Bears will get a new OC and a tackle this off season,  Whitehair,  Long,  and Sitton will all be back and Howard will be a stud. 
I do hope they use him more but man is it going to be hard to replicate 5 ypc.  I think he gets more carries for about the same amount of yards next year so basically a lower ypc.  My biggest hope is that he improves on catching the ball so he can be a bigger dual threat.

#Bears RB Jordan Howard joins Barry Sanders & Clinton Portis as only rookie RBs in NFL history with 250+ rushing attempts & 5.2 ypc average.

This game moved him into 19th most yards for a rookie RB and to put in context:

Peterson: 238/1,341/5.6

Howard: 252/1,313/5.2

Of course not saying he is Peterson, just looked at this because he is rookie RB #19 and Peterson is #18 so one above him but does speak to impressive year he just had.

Offensively, Howard is someone that the Bears can build around for the future - at least until ownership decides they don't want to pay for talent.  He is proof that a really good player can be found outside of day 1 or first 3 rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread