Notorious T.R.E.

***BTTF VI: Draft Over! See you in October

5,160 posts in this topic

so DOSO got put into a tournament of champions already. is that normal?

59 minutes ago, oso diablo said:

Yes ... all World Series participants get into a TOC, whether or not they win their World Series.

IIRC, Doctor Detroit once lost one of the FBG World Series, got put into a WIS Tournament of Champions, and then went on to win that TOC. That's actually a big accomplishment, because our squads get lumped in with bigger-dollar teams ... so we're competing against teams with four Babe Ruths and three Barry Bonds, top deadball starters w/dupes, Mariano and Eck in the same bullpen, etc.

2 people like this

2 best teams in the finals.  Good luck, boys.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, oso diablo said:

what i meant by "already" is that the TOC games are already starting, running concurrently with our World Series. that's the part i thought was weird.

1 hour ago, scoobus said:

2 best teams in the finals.  Good luck, boys.

bull####.  Koya just got to play in the inferior league

1 hour ago, oso diablo said:

what i meant by "already" is that the TOC games are already starting, running concurrently with our World Series. that's the part i thought was weird.

Hmmm ... that does seem different.

47 minutes ago, the moops said:

bull####.  Koya just got to play in the inferior league

:D   :hifive: 

5 hours ago, Doug B said:

Yes ... all World Series participants get into a TOC, whether or not they win their World Series.

IIRC, Doctor Detroit once lost one of the FBG World Series, got put into a WIS Tournament of Champions, and then went on to win that TOC. That's actually a big accomplishment, because our squads get lumped in with bigger-dollar teams ... so we're competing against teams with four Babe Ruths and three Barry Bonds, top deadball starters w/dupes, Mariano and Eck in the same bullpen, etc.

:yes: He actually beat the team that beat me in the semi Finals. Loaded with dead ball pitcher IIRC

my opponent in the TOC has a pitching staff entirely from 1959 and batters from both 1959 and 1894.

I am the #1 seed.

koya locking in on his dead-ball-esque 2-man pitching rotation of Cueto and Arrieta

World Series tied up 2-2.

Adrian Beltre has made 3 errors in 14 playoff games, after making only 6 in the regular season. sss

koya wins all 3 of his home games to take a 3-2 lead.

back to Target Field (-4 hr) for the final game(s).

Oso forces a game 7 in a 15 inning nail biter.

It all boils down to one game ... good luck Oso, tough to overcome that pithing of yours!

<slowwhistle>

A Game 6 for the ages. Glen Cove Upsiders tag both Dellin Betances (7th inning) and Cody Allen (9th) to scratch out a 6-5 lead going into the bottom of the ninth, needing only three outs for the title. NL Fireman Mark Melancon blows the save for the Upsiders, allowing DOSO one run to tie it up and sending the game to extra frames.

Both staffs hurl five innings of scoreless ball in the 10th-14th, though the Upsiders leave 9 men on during these frames. DOSO shuts the Upsiders down 1-2-3 in the top of the 15th. The Upsiders' Robert Gsellman had retired five of six batters over the 14th and 15th innings, getting Koya to within one out of a World Series title.

DOSO's Michael Saunders grounds his only hit of the day into left field between A/B 3B Todd Frazier and B/A+ SS Marcus Semien. Gsellman reaches his pitch count of 25, and gets pulled for Hunter Strickland, who had allowed a paltry .179 batting average over his last ten regular season appearances. DOSO's Carlos Santana manages to rip his only hit of the day off of Strickland, a double past Ben Zobrist's head and into RF. Saunders scores from first as Yoenis's Cespedes' throw is a few feet off the mark.

DOSO lives to see Game 7.

Edited by Doug B
formatting
4 people like this

what an epic Game 6

besides what dougb already described, this game saw...

• Rich Hill gets tagged for 4 runs in the top of the 1st, with only one ball hit out of the infield (and only two hits of any sort, one of which is by Jake Arrieta)
  • Side note - Koya has his pitcher hitting 8th
  • Brandon Belt, who hit 301/425/538 in the regular season, goes 0-7 with 5 strikeouts
  • Both teams used 9 pitchers (my bullpen is shot for game 7)
  • Betances strikes out the side in the 7th but gives up a HR to give GCU a 5-2 lead
  • DOSO ties it up in the bottom of the 7th
  • Cody Allen strikes out the side in the 9th but gives up a HR to give GCU a 6-5 lead going into the bottom of the 9th
  • GCU's stud closer Mark Melancon comes on to close out the World Series, but loads the bases on 2 singles and a HBP (with one out)
  • Carlos Hernandez (traded by koya to oso) skies one to deep CF. Back, back, back... CF Jay Bruce (side note: CF Jay Bruce?) is on the warning track... and he makes the catch! But Yadier Molina tags from 3rd to tie the game and send us into extras
  • Both teams bring in SPs to start the 10th - Jake Odorrizi for DOSO and Joe Ross for GCU
  • in the 11th, GCU loads the bases with nobody out, but Cespedes pops up in the infield, Encarnacion strikes out, and Bruce strikes out. It's the sort of inning that can haunt a franchise for a long time. We'll see...

Emptied the bench and the bullpen on this one.

1 person likes this

for game 7, everyone is available to pitch (even if tired), except for game 6 starter Rich Hill. 

Jon Lester gets the start, and likely using Chris Sale to close it out, if we get to that point.

Congrats Oso!  Best team won in the end.  Well done.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Koya said:

Congrats Oso!  Best team won in the end.  Well done.

Thanks. First one of these i've ever won.

Finally!

1 person likes this

Grats Oso :hifive:

1 person likes this

Recap of how DOSO was built...

• With 13th pick in the draft, chose to go SP in Chris Sale, as i felt he was the last super-elite SP available
  • in 2nd rd, went SP again with Jon Lester.
  • chose Target Field as my stadium, with its -4 HR rating. this selection dictated the rest of the draft, as it allowed me to look for less-traveled type hitters, who don't hit many HRs but have a decent OBP.
  • next 6 picks are all batters, with only one stinker in there (Carlos Gomez) - Lindor, Beltre, Belt, Yadier, Carlos Santana
  • some complete whiffs along the way - JP Crawford (11th rd), Yulieski Gurriel (16th), Jesse Winker (17th)
  • Steals in 37th (Ricky Nolasco), 44th (Andrew Benintendi), and 46th (Ryan Buchter) rounds
  • Hit on so many SPs that was able to deal for a key missing piece in 2B Cesar Hernandez. Fit my team perfectly. And pick up a very nice SP4 in Jake Odorrizi.
  • Dealt even more excess innings in-season to pick up a struggling and exhausted Craig Kimbrel

Congrats Oso!  About time you finally won one of these. :thumbup:

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, oso diablo said:

Thanks. First one of these i've ever won.

Finally!

Winning these things is a lot more satisfying than people expect. WIS has its warts, but it does a great pacing job with the slow build of a champion over 162 games + playoffs.

... and congrats, of course!

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, oso diablo said:

what an epic Game 6

besides what dougb already described, this game saw...

• Rich Hill gets tagged for 4 runs in the top of the 1st, with only one ball hit out of the infield (and only two hits of any sort, one of which is by Jake Arrieta)
  • Side note - Koya has his pitcher hitting 8th
  • Brandon Belt, who hit 301/425/538 in the regular season, goes 0-7 with 5 strikeouts
  • Both teams used 9 pitchers (my bullpen is shot for game 7)
  • Betances strikes out the side in the 7th but gives up a HR to give GCU a 5-2 lead
  • DOSO ties it up in the bottom of the 7th
  • Cody Allen strikes out the side in the 9th but gives up a HR to give GCU a 6-5 lead going into the bottom of the 9th
  • GCU's stud closer Mark Melancon comes on to close out the World Series, but loads the bases on 2 singles and a HBP (with one out)
  • Carlos Hernandez (traded by koya to oso) skies one to deep CF. Back, back, back... CF Jay Bruce (side note: CF Jay Bruce?) is on the warning track... and he makes the catch! But Yadier Molina tags from 3rd to tie the game and send us into extras
  • Both teams bring in SPs to start the 10th - Jake Odorrizi for DOSO and Joe Ross for GCU
  • in the 11th, GCU loads the bases with nobody out, but Cespedes pops up in the infield, Encarnacion strikes out, and Bruce strikes out. It's the sort of inning that can haunt a franchise for a long time. We'll see...

Emptied the bench and the bullpen on this one.

My favorite part of reading the boxscore for the bolded was that inexplicably WIS had Carlos Gomez tag up at 2B in this situation and almost get thrown out at 3B to end the game.

52 minutes ago, rodg12 said:

My favorite part of reading the boxscore for the bolded was that inexplicably WIS had Carlos Gomez tag up at 2B in this situation and almost get thrown out at 3B to end the game.

goodness! didn't even think about that.

when i play ootp mobile, it does that to me all the time (stupidly try to take extra bases or tag up in non-logical moments).

i thought i had played in one of these TOCs before, but i don't remember it being like this.

opening round against the #8 seed (in one of the 4 regions)... a 5-game series... fatigue-wise, each game seems like the equivalent of playing 30 games in a row, because after just the first 2 games, all my batters were dipping below 100% - a problem i didn't have in our season.

and for the pitching rotation, instead of going with only 3 guys like i did in our playoff series, even my SP1 wasn't back to 100% after 4 games.

tied 2-2

p.s. another thing that seems different from before - we are only playing one game per day

41 minutes ago, oso diablo said:

i thought i had played in one of these TOCs before, but i don't remember it being like this.

They may have changed something ... used to take a long time, sometimes months, for certain TOCs to fill with high-salary teams (which the FBG teams always are). Do you see evidence that there are $80-million teams in your TOC? Maybe their mixing everything together to get more immediately-filled TOC brackets.

38 minutes ago, Doug B said:

They may have changed something ... used to take a long time, sometimes months, for certain TOCs to fill with high-salary teams (which the FBG teams always are). Do you see evidence that there are $80-million teams in your TOC? Maybe their mixing everything together to get more immediately-filled TOC brackets.

it says it's a $90mm league. The salaries by team range from $75mm to $89mm (i'm at $88mm)

advanced to 2nd round

1 person likes this

advanced to 3rd round (final 8) in a 3-0 sweep. now facing a team that hasn't lost yet in this TOC, led by '27 Ty Cobb and 1917 Eddie Ciciotte

3 people like this

got swept out by that team that is still undefeated. they are now 9-0.

guy beat Sale, Lester, and Rich Hill - all at 100%

On 1/28/2017 at 7:23 PM, oso diablo said:

got swept out by that team that is still undefeated. they are now 9-0.

guy beat Sale, Lester, and Rich Hill - all at 100%

the team that beat me went 17-1 and won it all. 

21 minutes ago, oso diablo said:

the team that beat me went 17-1 and won it all. 

Who was on his squad besides Cobb and Ciccote? Lotta dupes?

16 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Who was on his squad besides Cobb and Ciccote? Lotta dupes?

Hitters

• 1899 Buck Freeman (?)
  • 1992 Roberto Alomar
  • 1956 Wally Moon
  • 1989 Tim Raines
  • 1895 George Davis
  • 2001 Mark McLemore (his SS with a real-life 790 OPS and a defensive grade of A/D-)
  • 1887 Buck Ewing

Pitchers

• 1914 Rube Foster
  • 1917 Willie Mitchell
  • 1907 Cy Morgan
  • 1909 Cliff Curtis
  • Cookie relievers

I don't get it

Those are a bunch of guys the sim loves. Not surprised at all.

17 minutes ago, jfranco77 said:

#CookieMonster

20 hours ago, jfranco77 said:

see. that's what i don't get. The "sim" is just a bunch of formulas and process steps. What is it seeing in those particular guys?

Do the sim calculations include prior performance in the sim itself as a data input? I wouldn't think so.

On 2/9/2017 at 10:01 AM, oso diablo said:

see. that's what i don't get. The "sim" is just a bunch of formulas and process steps. What is it seeing in those particular guys?

Do the sim calculations include prior performance in the sim itself as a data input? I wouldn't think so.

Mostly normalization. I don't really know exactly why it happens.

Even when you normalize them down, modern HR hitters from the steroid era seem to do worse than expected. OTOH, oldtime HR hitters (Tilly Walker, Cy Williams, Gavvy Gravath, and yes, Buck Freeman) seem to do better than you'd expect. The sim also likes switch hitters, possibly more than it should. The defensive penalty for playing deadball era fielders behind deadball era pitchers probably isn't strong enough. Base stealers might not be expensive enough, though dynamic pricing is helping with that.

There's something about walks too... I think the way walks are determined before the output of the AB means that guys who hit 280/420/550 with 30 HRs will not hit as many HRs, but guys whose OBP-AVG is small will hit more. So a 300/330/550 guy with 30 bombs is likely to hit more.

No, prior sim performance is not considered.

Edited by jfranco77
1 person likes this