What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrell Watson - Browns RB (1 Viewer)

tone1oc

Footballguy
Browns signed Terrell Watson today, who spent his rookie season on the Bengals practice squad. Many analytics guys liked him coming out of small school Azusa Pacific where he broke Christian Okoye's records. He's a bigger back at 6'1" 236lbs, his athletic profile compares to a Steven Jackson or a Jonathan Stewart, posting a 91st %tile speed score (weight adjusted 40) with a 35" vertical and 10'3" broad jump. He's also a high character guy that will not lose based on effort.

I really like this kid to give Crowell a run for his money, and would be a nice complementary piece to Duke Johnson. Oh an Hue Jackson is his coach, who was his OC last season. To me this is a positive indicator for how Hue feels about him.

If you are able and have a spot I'd consider adding him now.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was really intriguing heading into the draft last year. I was disappointed he went undrafted, but he is a guy to keep an eye on.

He was really intriguing heading into the draft last year. I was disappointed he went undrafted, but he is a guy to keep an eye on.
All he needs is an opportunity, and all that is in front of him for an opportunity (as complement to Duke) is other undrafted RBs, who have been mediocre-bad to mediocre-good that the new HC has no allegiances with.

I thought someone would have mentioned his back story of being abandoned by his mother and raised by his grandparents. As a child, he was learning disabled where he didn't start reading until the 5th grade. Somehow it was discovered that he had a photographic memory and is somewhat of a savant. That unique skill assists him as a running back since he recalls where every defender was on the field in previous plays and he then communicates with the coaches how to subtly change the play so he gets more yardage.

Amazing story.

Here is the link to the video of his story.

-------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnTd2uoMcsI

Published on Sep 15, 2014
Azusa Pacific RB Terrell Watson has broken all of former NFL RB Christian Okoye's records at Azusa, and he has quite a story! This video originally aired 9/4/14 during the national broadcast of Grand Valley State at Azusa Pacific on CBS Sports Network.

For the last 3 years, I have gotten sucked into investing in the Cleveland Browns backfield.

(note to myself during drafts last year) " But its the 12th round, how can you not take a chance on Crowell/other lottery tickets?"

I have mentioned it several times, and in the Crow thread also I'm sure.....how I will never, ever get sucked in again.

Each time the backfield has been largely a wasteland of unpredictable fantasy non production , and you wind up with a desperation spot start at best....only a couple of times a season.

This kid Watson looks interesting though, and likable to boot.

Can Hue Jackson turn this guy into something fantasy worthy???

Hard to say but I will keep my eye on this one.

Somehow, I am thinking I may get sucked in yet again. :wall:

TZM

Browns signed Terrell Watson today, who spent his rookie season on the Bengals practice squad. Many analytics guys liked him coming out of small school Azusa Pacific where he broke Christian Okoye's records. He's a bigger back at 6'1" 236lbs, his athletic profile compares to a Steven Jackson or a Jonathan Stewart, posting a 91st %tile speed score (weight adjusted 40) with a 35" vertical and 10'3" broad jump. He's also a high character guy that will not lose based on effort.

I really like this kid to give Crowell a run for his money, and would be a nice complementary piece to Duke Johnson. Oh an Hue Jackson is his coach, who was his OC last season. To me this is a positive indicator for how Hue feels about him.

Also that he was signed shortly after they hired their RB coach

Bri said:

If he does anything like he did in Cincy, this guy or Crowell will be Hill and Duke Johnson will be Gio...which doesn't bode well for Johnson.

Bri said:

If he does anything like he did in Cincy, this guy or Crowell will be Hill and Duke Johnson will be Gio...which doesn't bode well for Johnson.
Gio finished 21st in my non-PPR league this year amongst all RBs.

I'd have to view Duke used as Gio being an improvement for him as opposed to this past year's sporadic usage
I really didn't know anything about Terrell Watson until a couple of days ago but he is a big guy 6'1 and 242 lbs with speed 4.45 forty.

The Bengals had him stashed on their practice squad and only a few days after Hue Jackson was hired by the Browns, Cleveland claimed him.

Hue would know about him since he was the Bengals offensive coordinator but the Bengals were loaded at RB with Jeremy Hill and Geo Bernard.

I think equating Duke = Geo is a pretty good analogy so it is 'possible' that Terrell Watson 'could' get a shot to nudge into some split playing time with Isaiah Crowell.

Hue Jackson's offensive system is built off of the running game and his first coaching hire was Kirby Wilson who is listed as the running game coordinator so their will be an emphasis on the rushing attack this year.

He has skills, he was productive, Hue Jackson must have played a direct role in his acquisition and since the Browns claimed him off of a practice squad he counts on the roster so Hue must think he has talent to fill a role or even be a starter.

He's an interesting name and worth a flyer IMHO.

I thought someone would have bumped this thread since the Browns didn't take a single RB with any of their 14 draft picks but I figured I'd wait till there was news.  

.  Terrell Watson is 6'1 and 245 lbs with 4.45 forty speed.  He scored 63 TDs in college and is the only RB added to the Browns since Hue Jackson took over.  Hue coached him in Nati so he knows Hue's system.  Go to the link for the full read.  Just a reminder about this deep sleeper.

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Browns-expect-to-be-physically-dominant-running-football-team-45574756

Browns expect to be 'physically dominant, running football team'

...“We have several guys that not only can run the ball, but we challenge our running backs to play without the ball. You really won’t know until we put the pads on during training camp and during the preseason, you get a better feel for our guys running schemes, in particular with the schemes that we plan to employ. We will have a better feel after the preseason starts up.”

Running backs coach/run game coordinator Kirby Wilson was targeted by head coachHue Jackson as soon as he was hired. The coaches seem to be on the same page early on as Wilson was effusive in his praise of Jackson.

“I think when you look at Coach Jackson’s background, he is a ‘quarterback guru.’ He has done a tremendous job over the years with that, but if you look at his record, in terms of running the football and the amount that he runs it, you’re going to find out that he really, truly does enjoy running the football. We are going to be a run-oriented football team, everything starts with the run game, our offensive line and our backs. As coach told us, we are going to be a physically dominant, running football team," Wilson explained.

I thought someone would have bumped this thread since the Browns didn't take a single RB with any of their 14 draft picks but I figured I'd wait till there was news.  

.  Terrell Watson is 6'1 and 245 lbs with 4.45 forty speed.  He scored 63 TDs in college and is the only RB added to the Browns since Hue Jackson took over.  Hue coached him in Nati so he knows Hue's system.  Go to the link for the full read.  Just a reminder about this deep sleeper.
He's an interesting guy, but he doesn't have 4.45 speed. I think he ran a 4.58 at his pro day. Typically pro day times are 0.05-0.10 seconds faster than combine times.

I like him given his circumstances and former relationship with Hue. Have to figure that is worth something, all other things being equal (not saying he IS equal to the other guys by any means but its a ling season with a position that uses a lot of bodies on a team that is going to be trying to find what/who fits and what/who doesn't....I'd bank he gets some opportunity. the rest s up to him.

He's an interesting guy, but he doesn't have 4.45 speed. I think he ran a 4.58 at his pro day. Typically pro day times are 0.05-0.10 seconds faster than combine times.
Was about to post that. He's likely more of a 4.6/4.65 guy in terms of combine results.

Terrell Watson was just named to be one of the five 'surprise' starters this season for the Browns.

This article 'reasonably' predicts up to two starts for Watson and I think that is attainable and reasonable at some point for the upcoming year.

http://nflspinzone.com/2016/06/27/predicting-5-surprise-starters-cleveland-browns/2/

Predicting 5 Surprise Starters for the Cleveland Browns

by Gil Alcaraz IV 2 hours ago

As we’ve seen over the last few years, the Browns’ running back situation is a mess. They can’t seem to stick with one starter, as the No. 1 gig ends up becoming a revolving door within the first month. Since that’s unlikely to change in 2016, I foresee a relatively unknown name emerging as a short-term starter in Cleveland.

That would be Terrell Watson, a small-school product who ESPN’s Pat McManamoncalled a “legitimate dark horse.” The former Azusa Pacific star caught on as an undrafted rookie for the Cincinnati Bengals last season, but failed to stick considering their loaded backfield. However, I believe it could be a different situation with the Browns.

Isaiah Crowell and Duke Johnson seem to have the top two spots solidified, but the third (and maybe fourth?) spots on the depth chart are ripe for the taking. If Watson can use his physicality and vision to impress the coaching staff in the coming months, we could see him getting a start or two this year.

This is looking like a fantasy mess. Had a feeling that most people are really eyeing up Duke Johnson as the guy with the most bankable talent/opportunity, but Crowell racked up over 700 yards and 4 TDs on 80 or so more carries -- Crowell is not a non-factor in the backfield.

Now add the possibility that Terrell Watson may be given a chance to be in the mix a little more if he flashes and you get a potentially great situation for a football team (three effective backs who can rotate around and keep each other fresh) but a bad fantasy situation -- or more likely, a bad situation all around where all three backs' value completely detracts from any one single back's value/opportunity, and not giving any one back a chance to get in the groove with enough carries.

http://nflspinzone.com/2016/06/30/cleveland-browns-terrell-watsons-opportunity/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Cleveland Browns: Terrell Watson’s Opportunity

by Peter Smith 1 hour ago

The lone addition to the Cleveland Browns at the running back position this offseason, Terrell Watson, will have every opportunity to succeed.

One of the criticisms for the Cleveland Browns in how they drafted and the offseason in general is how they dealt with the running back position. For a team that finished 22nd in the league in rushing yards, they only move they have made at the running back position so far has been to sign Terrell Watson from the Cincinnati Bengals’ practice squad within a week of hiring Hue Jackson to be the head coach.

...Watson was an incredibly productive Division-2 running back at Azusa Pacific, where he set 20 team records, all of which had belonged to Christian Okoye. In 2014, Watson ran for 2,153 yards and 29 touchdowns in 11 games. For those who haven’t seen him, here are some highlights.

Clearly a man among boys, Watson showed how impressive he was when it came to athletic testing. At 6’ 236, Watson put up the following:

40-yard Dash: 4.55
20-yard Shuttle: 4.49
3-Cone: 7.48
Vertical: 35.5”
Broad Jump: 10’3”
Bench: 22

Watson shines when it comes to explosion and running downhill. His change of direction skills are mediocre at best. When watching him run the ball, Watson embraces his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses.

He gets downhill immediately and can be a powerful runner getting behind his pads to take on contact and running through some tackles. With rare exception, Watson is always working North and South. Rather than using jump cuts or moves that would force him to stop and start, he opts to stick his foot in the ground to maintain his momentum, so he can deliver hits as opposed to always taking them, enabling him to wear on the opponents as the game progresses.

Go to link for the rest of the read.

Nitpicking here, but that three cone seems pretty high.  I know it's only one piece to the whole puzzle, but when I am looking at RB that is a vital stat. I'm no scouting expert so please let someone smarter chime in.  Am I way off base for even calling this out or is there reason to be scared off by that?

jmo87usc said:
Nitpicking here, but that three cone seems pretty high.  I know it's only one piece to the whole puzzle, but when I am looking at RB that is a vital stat. I'm no scouting expert so please let someone smarter chime in.  Am I way off base for even calling this out or is there reason to be scared off by that?
The full article says how he doesn't have much lateral agility but is very much a down hill runner. If it was like Kelly suddenly asking Demarco (another good downhill runner) to be more East-West then you're correct... I would be worried. But Hue knows what he wants (and now has again) in Watson so perhaps there's nothing to worry about. :shrug:

The full article says how he doesn't have much lateral agility but is very much a down hill runner. If it was like Kelly suddenly asking Demarco (another good downhill runner) to be more East-West then you're correct... I would be worried. But Hue knows what he wants (and now has again) in Watson so perhaps there's nothing to worry about. :shrug:
Makes sense, thanks.  I guess his success will hinge more on how good their O-Line performs along with his vision and decision making skills.  

FWIW Jeremy Hill's pro day 3 cone is slower. 
Good bit of info, thanks.  I didn't realize that. 

Jim Rome interviewed Terrell Watson before the Isaiah Crowell story broke where he told his story. 

http://jimrome.com/2016/07/12/terrell-watson/

Terrell Watson

info & Stats:  Cleveland Browns Running Back

All Topics: Left on a couples front door as a baby | The couple raising him | Learning disability | Showing believers in him, right | Attending with Azusa Pacific | The beauty of Azusa Pacific | Playing both ways at Azusa Pacific early on | Breaking Christian Okoye’s records was a team effort | Team | Always wanting to be a cop | Wanting to be a SWAT officer after his NFL career is over | Jackie Slater being the offensive line coach at Azusa Pacific | Being a member of the Cincinnati Bengals practice squad last year | Hue Jackson bringing him to Cleveland |

July 11th 2016

Terrell shares his incredible story with Jim.

Browns 2016 training camp position breakdown: RBs
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-2016-training-camp-position-breakdown-RBs/6167c7bd-38e4-4609-abfd-eba3a6c78c05

"Watson, who spent last season in Cincinnati alongside Hue Jackson, has also had a strong offseason."
Rotoworld take:

Per ClevelandBrowns.com, second-year UDFA RB Terrell Watson had a "strong offseason."
Watson followed Bengals OC Hue Jackson to Cleveland, and is battling for No. 3 duties behind Duke Johnson and Isaiah Crowell. Watson was the complete package at Azusa Pacific, but is the kind of player who will really have to shine in the preseason to avoid the practice squad. He's a sleeper, but a long-shot. Jul 19 - 4:40 PM
The dream is still alive

ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi believes Terrell Watson's familiarity with coach Hue Jackson's offense gives him "an advantage" for the No. 3 running back job.
Watson is competing with Glenn Winston and Raheem Mostert behind Isaiah Crowell and Duke Johnson. "I feel here was my best opportunity to play," Watson said. "Hue wanted me here." Watson admits he chose the Browns for those reasons of knowing the offense already and Jackson's desire to bring him with him from Cincinnati. Watson is a sleeper to push Crowell for carries.

Source: ESPN Cleveland 
Jul 22 - 9:38 AM

Users who are viewing this thread