What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zika virus (1 Viewer)

That is unbelievably sad. I can't imagine being a pregnant woman right now. I'd be covered head to toe with OFF, and inside all day behind mosquito netting. Essentially on bed rest.

If this got bad enough I wonder if the Catholics would come out and start promoting contraceptives.

Last edited by a moderator:
rascal said:
I tried to search, but couldn't find a thread.

South america, specifically Brazil, has been decimated by this and now it has spread beyond as there are a dozen confirmed cases in the US. Authorities are urging women in dozens of countries to not get pregnant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/as-zika-virus-spreads-el-salvador-asks-women-not-to-get-pregnant-until-2018/2016/01/22/1dc2dadc-c11f-11e5-98c8-7fab78677d51_story.html
I don't think it spread to the US. I think those people contracted it in South America.

rascal said:

South america, specifically Brazil, has been decimated by this and now it has spread beyond as there are a dozen confirmed cases in the US. Authorities are urging women in dozens of countries to not get pregnant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/as-zika-virus-spreads-el-salvador-asks-women-not-to-get-pregnant-until-2018/2016/01/22/1dc2dadc-c11f-11e5-98c8-7fab78677d51_story.html
I don't think it spread to the US. I think those people contracted it in South America.
Right but if a mosquito bites the infected person, the mosquito will spread it to other people it bites.

rascal said:

Right but if a mosquito bites the infected person, the mosquito will spread it to other people it bites.
really?

If this got bad enough I wonder if the Catholics would come out and start promoting contraceptives.
They basically have per the article.

"But the church also isn’t going to say something that runs contrary to life and health.”

rascal said:

It's been found in Puerto Rico. Still US, no?

The World Health Organization says at least 20 countries or territories in the region, including Barbados and Bolivia, Guadeloupe and Guatemala, Puerto Rico and Panama, have registered transmission of the virus.

"But the church also isnt going to say something that runs contrary to life and health.
The Rev. Hector Figueroa, a priest in charge of health issues in the San Salvador archdiocese, said that the pregnancy alert appeared in the Salvadoran news media Friday morning and that the archbishop had not had time to formulate an official response.

"But the church also isnt going to say something that runs contrary to life and health.
The Rev. Hector Figueroa, a priest in charge of health issues in the San Salvador archdiocese, said that the pregnancy alert appeared in the Salvadoran news media Friday morning and that the archbishop had not had time to formulate an official response.
Well, I hope they consult with the Pope who seems to have a level head before issuing anything stupid.

rascal said:

10% of Brazil dead?

How did I miss this news

msommer said:

10% of Brazil dead?How did I miss this news
huh?

really?
Yes, that is the primary way that it spread.

There is a reported case from several years ago of sexual transmission. A guy went down to South America, came back and infected his wife with it. She wasn't in South America, so they think that is how it transmitted.

msommer said:

huh?
Technically 'decimate' means 10%. But no one uses it that specifically.

msommer said:

huh?
and the virus isn't killing people

My wife and I are in the early stages of trying for our first. Have a trip to Mexico booked for the last week in February. If she happens to get pregnant in the next month, we're canceling the trip or trying to go somewhere else

huh?
I beg to differ

huh?
I beg to differ
Decimation (Latin: decimatio; decem = "ten") was a form of military discipline used by senior commanders in the Roman Army to punish units or large groups guilty of capital offences, such as mutiny or desertion. The word decimation is derived from Latin meaning "removal of a tenth".[1] The procedure was a pragmatic, yet vicious, attempt to balance the need to punish serious offences with the practicalities of dealing with a large group of offenders.[2]

huh?
I beg to differ
Ok sure. Outside of historians who study and right about Roman military discipline?

I read in one article that one possible solution is to release genetically engineered sterile male mosquitos into the wild. Isn't that how the movie mimic started?

I always got a weird paranoia when I see these type of headlines scrolling across the bottom of my tv. Like i am witnessing the early signs of something dramatic.

Obviously that hasn't happened. But I still feel like I am watching the opening montage of a Contagion-like movie when I see stories like this.

Have a family vacation to Punta Cana scheduled for end of Feb. Read the CDC guidelines. If you aren't pregnant or trying to get pregnant (non-issue here) it basically says to try and prevent mosquito bites like you normally would. We aren't overly worried.

Have a family vacation to Punta Cana scheduled for end of Feb. Read the CDC guidelines. If you aren't pregnant or trying to get pregnant (non-issue here) it basically says to try and prevent mosquito bites like you normally would. We aren't overly worried.
I have to read the guidelines specifically still but the "trying to get pregnant" part is scary. Read something yesterday about the potential for a woman being a carrier, and passing it to her yet to be conceived baby later on. What's the max timeline for that potentially occurring? 1 month, 3 months, 6 months?

I have to read the guidelines specifically still but the "trying to get pregnant" part is scary. Read something yesterday about the potential for a woman being a carrier, and passing it to her yet to be conceived baby later on. What's the max timeline for that potentially occurring? 1 month, 3 months, 6 months?
Going south shortly. Any worries for men trying to get their wife pregnant? She isn't coming along on the trip.

I'm snipped, so for us it isn't a concern (or I suppose, more accurately, for me...if she gets pregnant we have bigger fish to fry). No clue on if the virus can stay dormant or how long till the body can typically eradicate it.

It looks like these are the relevant answers from the CDC on future pregnancies:

If a woman who is not pregnant is bitten by a mosquito and infected with Zika virus, will her future pregnancies be at risk?

No. If infected Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for about a week. The virus will not cause infections in a baby that is conceived after the virus is cleared from the blood.

Can a previous Zika virus infection cause someone who later becomes pregnant to have an infant with microcephaly?

We do not know the risk to the baby if a woman is infected with Zika virus while she is pregnant. However, Zika virus infection does not pose a risk of birth defects for future pregnancies. Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for about a week. The virus will not cause infections in a baby that is conceived after the virus is cleared from the blood.

Going south shortly. Any worries for men trying to get their wife pregnant? She isn't coming along on the trip.
Gupta said they've seen cases transmitted through sexual contact.
I read those Q&As I just posted to mean that if the guy gets the virus but it clears the blood after a week or so, the woman will be in the clear.

Otis said:
Scary for those of us looking to add to our families.
You breeder you. Good for you. Pass your gifts on to another generation. I hope it happens soon, after some satisfyingly vigorous attempts, and that the pregnancy is smooth sailing all the way. Oh, maybe this will help.

Report on the net (so you can say you saw a report on the net)

Couples attempting to conceive should consider engaging in anal intercourse from time to time. Obviously there is no chance of conceiving with that copulation, but numerous studies have found that the act of anal intercourse increases a woman's hormone levels, specifically her follicle stimulating hormones drastically increasing odds of conception during subsequent copulations within the next 48 hours.

huh?
I beg to differ
Ok sure. Outside of historians who study and right about Roman military discipline?
Just to throw a little light on the matter

The latest number I have found stated that just under 4,000 babies had been affected in Brazil, from an annual amount of births of three million.

So using the word decimated is seriously channeling of jon_mx

Do mosquitoes serve any actual purpose in the circle of life? If they were gone would birds die off or something? I am all for eliminating the entire species as long as there aren't any detrimental effects.

Users who are viewing this thread