What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

were you rich or poor growing up? (1 Viewer)

straight up middle class.

I heard an interesting stat from Tom Woods this week. 56% of the population at some point reach the top 10% of annual income.

Poor. Dad left when I was 8. Mom had me at 17. Dropped out of school in 9th grade and was a single Mom waitress. Medi-Cal, food stamps. We would have really been in bad shape if it weren't for my Grandma, who is a saint to me. Fortunately I've been able to break the education/poverty cycle in my family

Mom was a single mother paycheck to paycheck. Lower middle working class. Had grandparents with a little bit of wealth so probably grew up closer to middle class than it appeared.

Middle class and was able to go to school before it put you in debt for half your working life.

We were middle class (two teachers) but my dad has always been good with Money. We moved to a rich part of Houston when i was 12 just to get me in a good school.l because I was a troublemaker. My parents were amazing for me and my brother.

Middle class, surrounded by Volvo driving soccer moms.

Like most parents, mine weren't all that good with money so they were constantly remortgaging their house. But at least they had a house and kept food on the table. Overall, they did well for us.

Lower middle class but mostly because my dad was a house painter and there was very little work in the winter and things got very tight. Mom never worked. No complaints, had a good childhood.

Upper middle class. Dad owned a manufacturing plant and several related entities. Mom helped build the business with him for 17 years, then became a successful businesswoman after their divorce. Second home, boating, vacations - can not say we lacked anything materially.

Relatively poor. Had a house, but only due to a severe accident that my dad was in. He worked construction later and often worked (had to work) 7 days a week. And if he didn't work, he didn't get paid so no sicks days and no vacation days.

Didn't lack, per se, but just didn't know any differently.

Tango said:
I heard an interesting stat from Tom Woods this week. 56% of the population at some point reach the top 10% of annual income.
This stat seems misleading even if it's true. Incomes vary significantly over the course of a lifetime. In the course of a lifetime, people spend a lot of time as students, retirees, or being otherwise unemployed. Being in the top 10% of the population in income doesn't generally put you anywhere near the top 10% in wealth.

Tango said:
This stat seems misleading even if it's true. Incomes vary significantly over the course of a lifetime. In the course of a lifetime, people spend a lot of time as students, retirees, or being otherwise unemployed. Being in the top 10% of the population in income doesn't generally put you anywhere near the top 10% in wealth.
It's not misleading at all. It means exactly what you said it means. You got it just fine. It has no implicit/explicit correlation to wealth.

I like how most posters chose to totally overlook that this thread is just a ploy to post more of this nonsense YouTube channel.

Tango said:
It's not misleading at all. It means exactly what you said it means. You got it just fine. It has no implicit/explicit correlation to wealth.
My impression is that the statistic is generally cited as evidence that social mobility is very fluid, but I don't think it's very good evidence for that assertion.

Middle class. Lived in a house. My brother and I went to Catholic private school through high school. Bought us each a car (used). My parents paid my college tuition.

I was very lucky, though my parents worked very hard. Tons of overtime for each of them. Pretty much the hard working immigrants mold. I don't think I'll work that hard when I have kids, but who knows.

Tango said:
My impression is that the statistic is generally cited as evidence that social mobility is very fluid, but I don't think it's very good evidence for that assertion.
Ok,sure-- you're entitled to that opinion. I do think it is evidence of that assertion...but it's just one interesting data-point that sits in the pro column, but there are many other items that would need to populate that pro/con chart before you can make a case about "social mobility" (it being a very broad term that goes even beyond "income mobility").

Shifting gears slightly, I'd say that stat is a piece of relevant evidence of why income-blame-games that many politicians play seem to have a cap on their popularity.

Lower middle class. Parents divorced and in lieu of child support, my mom got the equity in the house. That's fine on paper, but in day to day living, we struggled. Always good times going to the store for ketchup and pulling out your food stamps. :thumbup:

Grew up living on base housing at different Air Force bases. Knew no different and everyone lived the same basically. I'd say middle to lower-middle. Once my dad retired and got a private sector job along with his military retirement we went up to middle to upper-middle.

Thought we were somewhat poor because all my friends had bigger houses and more stuff than we did. But, as I became an adult, I understood that we had a lot compared to much the country and definitely when compared worldwide, so I'd say rich. Same right now. I'm surrounded by people with more stuff than me, but I'd still say we're rich.

Grew up in a very old two bedroom apartment in a not great building. I received free and reduced lunch at school. I remember going to a food pantry with my mom when I was young. My dad worked many blue collar assembly line jobs, but there were always layoffs mixed in as the economy dictated. Grew up in a very rural area.

When I was young, I never really thought about it. We always had some kind of presents under the tree at Christmas. My parents didn't put a huge emphasis on education, but they were supportive of me. My parents did the best the could. I paid for college on my own through working two summer jobs and student loans.

I'm very happy with where I ended up today. Not sure where I would have gone under different circumstances growing up.

Grew up VERY poor. Living in a housing project getting a check each month would have been a substantial step up.

But I was a smart, well spoken, good looking white male, so the world was mine for the taking.

Rich, but my parents structured things in such a way that I felt like we were lower end until I was in high school.

Basically between their 50% savings rate and heavy real estate investing, our christmas's were always lame compared to people making a lot less, i never had nice clothes or many toys... so I thought we were doing relatively poorly... but it's because my parents were building their empire.. now worth multi millions

Rich, but my parents structured things in such a way that I felt like we were lower end until I was in high school.

Basically between their 50% savings rate and heavy real estate investing, our christmas's were always lame compared to people making a lot less, i never had nice clothes or many toys... so I thought we were doing relatively poorly... but it's because my parents were building their empire.. now worth multi millions
this minus the 50% savings rate. and the real estate. and the empire.

this minus the 50% savings rate. and the real estate. and the empire.
so like totally the same :hifive:

Sounds like you've learned a lot from them. What kind of real estate? How many millions? How long did it take before they started enjoying the fruits of their labor?

Sounds like you've learned a lot from them. What kind of real estate? How many millions? How long did it take before they started enjoying the fruits of their labor?
commercial buildings and farm land (as an aside he's a miserable stock/bond investor by his own admission)

probably 6+

around '95 My dad was about 45

He also will tell you that in like '86-'87 he was as close to the edge to going bankrupt if he hadn't gotten some tenants in the buildings... it was a real risk.

I don't know you tell me....had to walk to school and on cold days I carried baked potatoes in my pockets to keep my hands warm and then ate them for lunch.

commercial buildings and farm land (as an aside he's a miserable stock/bond investor by his own admission)

probably 6+

He also will tell you that in like '86-'87 he was as close to the edge to going bankrupt if he hadn't gotten some tenants in the buildings... it was a real risk.
Why are you so obsessed with your retirement savings when you stand to inherit millions?

probably 6+

That's the thing I would have a hard time with... in order to get to 6+ you already have quite a bit of money that you have to risk. I feel like I'll be bowing out gracefully if I can hit $2mil in investable assets.

probably 6+

Why are you so obsessed with your retirement savings when you stand to inherit millions?
I want to be able to say that I could have retired early on my own savings, and then after the inheritance my retirement just went from good to awesome.

In addition, I don't necessarily want to liquidate a lot of their building or farm assets... I have 2 sisters.. they'll get some as well, and I may hang on to it for use... their amount in cash is far less.

probably 6+

That's the thing I would have a hard time with... in order to get to 6+ you already have quite a bit of money that you have to risk. I feel like I'll be bowing out gracefully if I can hit $2mil in investable assets.
yup... he had stones.. i don't have them... I'm a great stock/bond investor.. like my grandfather... and that's risky also... but at least the risk is mitigated across thousands of multi-billion dollar businesses. a building is both relatively illiquid and tying up a lot of cash in one thing.

No guts no glory... but I'm choosing the boring path to retirement rather than an intensive, risky process... I've spent far less time reading about stocks/bonds than he spent building buildings, acquiring land, etc.

We lived sort of poor, picking berries (honest to God, every other day in summer) canning salmon, trapping hunting and fishing all the time, stuff like that. We had a cabin at a great location that grandpa bought for 50 bucks in the 1950s, we spent the weekends there. I remember getting teased for having the crappiest shoes of all the kids on the basketball team. I delivered papers and had all sorts of jobs (construction, grocery store, lawnmowing, ect). We didnt have the best cars or trucks and used an old 1960 boat, not a great water skiing boat like my friends. But it was all great, I never felt I needed money to have a great standard of living, because I learned all the fun stuff in life was free. My dad actually made 200k/year or more from the mid 70s to mid to late 1990s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made it 20 seconds.
I purposely watched it for 21 seconds to see if you missed anything. You didn't!

BTW, grew up poor. My dad had a low-paying job and my mom didn't work. We lived in a mobile home and always lived check to check. I remember giving my parents money from my checks when I worked as a teenager. I never really thought much about being poor because I always had enough to eat and I didn't miss what I had never had. I paid for my own college through working, the GI Bill and some student loans.

Mass Affluent. My Dad owned his own hotels with my grandfather and uncle. We were a Miami Beach Real Estate family thru the 70's and 80's and the early 90's. Mom was a housewife/hairdresser. My parents though got divorced in 1979 and that was a #### show. My grandfather came to this country with nothing (Auschwitz survivor) and I learned probably more from him than my father. But my dad also taught me enough about managing your wealth how to save as well. I feel fortunate having them show me the way in my early years and teaching me about money and how to make it, and make my money work for me.

Lower middle class. Parents divorced and in lieu of child support, my mom got the equity in the house. That's fine on paper, but in day to day living, we struggled. Always good times going to the store for ketchup and pulling out your food stamps. :thumbup:
We were pretty solidly middle class until my step-father and mother divorced. My mother got the house but we scratched by from then on. The house payment was the biggest problem. We had basically no other expenses other than that... no cable, one basic phone which it was death to call long distance on, no need for heater, no ac in SoCal, turn off all the lights, public school, etc. But damn the house payment was a burden. I remember my mom saying more than a few times that she had wished she gave up the house. Later it ended up helping her in that she sold it and was able to buy a small townhome which keeps her monthly costs low. My mother has never really got out of the scratching by mode though.

You get real inventive on what you eat when you have to make do with whatever is left in the fridge and pantry and things don't exactly 'match'. I got use to eating a lot of oddball combo's as a kid and that carried on through when I was a bachelor. My now wife would make fun of my odd eating habits which most are gone now but when I am hungry and we haven't been shopping in a while- instead of going to the store I will put together one of my crazy poor meals. Pretty much if I have some tortillas and ranch dressing I can figure out something to put in them.

We lived sort of poor, picking berries (honest to God, every other day in summer) canning salmon, trapping hunting and fishing all the time, stuff like that. We had a cabin at a great location that grandpa bought for 50 bucks in the 1950s, we spent the weekends there. I remember getting teased for having the crappiest shoes of all the kids on the basketball team. I delivered papers and had all sorts of jobs (construction, grocery store, lawnmowing, ect). We didnt have the best cars or trucks and used an old 1960 boat, not a great water skiing boat like my friends. But it was all great, I never felt I needed money to have a great standard of living, because I learned all the fun stuff in life was free.

My dad actually made 200k/year or more from the mid 70s to mid to late 1990s.
I feel like I'm missing something because this doesn't jibe with what you wrote.

We lived sort of poor, picking berries (honest to God, every other day in summer) canning salmon, trapping hunting and fishing all the time, stuff like that. We had a cabin at a great location that grandpa bought for 50 bucks in the 1950s, we spent the weekends there. I remember getting teased for having the crappiest shoes of all the kids on the basketball team. I delivered papers and had all sorts of jobs (construction, grocery store, lawnmowing, ect). We didnt have the best cars or trucks and used an old 1960 boat, not a great water skiing boat like my friends. But it was all great, I never felt I needed money to have a great standard of living, because I learned all the fun stuff in life was free.

I feel like I'm missing something because this doesn't jibe with what you wrote.
He hid it all and spent it on cocaine and hookers.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were pretty solidly middle class until my step-father and mother divorced. My mother got the house but we scratched by from then on. The house payment was the biggest problem. We had basically no other expenses other than that... no cable, one basic phone which it was death to call long distance on, no need for heater, no ac in SoCal, turn off all the lights, public school, etc. But damn the house payment was a burden. I remember my mom saying more than a few times that she had wished she gave up the house. Later it ended up helping her in that she sold it and was able to buy a small townhome which keeps her monthly costs low. My mother has never really got out of the scratching by mode though.

You get real inventive on what you eat when you have to make do with whatever is left in the fridge and pantry and things don't exactly 'match'. I got use to eating a lot of oddball combo's as a kid and that carried on through when I was a bachelor. My now wife would make fun of my odd eating habits which most are gone now but when I am hungry and we haven't been shopping in a while- instead of going to the store I will put together one of my crazy poor meals. Pretty much if I have some tortillas and ranch dressing I can figure out something to put in them.
Living poor in SoCal is like living upper-middle class in most of the country.

I think he put 75% of his money in the bank. He's enjoying his retirement but still not spending much money other than having a new truck every few years. As long as he has his fishing pole and shotgun he doesn't need much else. I'm sure he has 10 mil in the bank and favorite hobby is picking up 10 cent Michigan returnable cans on his daily walk.

Users who are viewing this thread