What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** Official Super Bowl 50 **** Broncos v. Panthers (3 Viewers)

Will the half time show suck?

• Yes

Votes: 230 81.9%
  • No

Votes: 51 18.1%

• Total voters

Mario Kart

Footballguy
Early lines:

Spread: Carolina (-3.5)

Moneyline: Carolina (-170), Denver (+153)

Over/Under: 44.5

Go... Panthers!

Based on what I saw, it won't be close. Manning and the Broncos offense stunk the second half. Panthers offense way more potent than the Pats and Denver won't be able to squat on a small lead with their D on the field 80% of the half. Sort of shocked to see only a 3.5 point line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both teams have great defenses, I don't expect a lot of scoring. Lines should be close on defensive minded games.

2 great defenses. Only 1 great offense (Carolina). Big fan of both these qb's, but I think Carolina is gonna win this in a beatdown.

Much respect to Carolina. Great year. However, Denver has been there and knows what is in store. Cam and the Panthers WILL face their greatest challenge yet. The D3nver defense is unlike anything they have faced all season. Dont give me the Arizona defense crap.

Both teams have outstanding defenses. Should be a fun hard hitting game.

Since I think the defenses are going to be a wash I will pick Carolina to win because they have the much better offense

Much respect to Carolina. Great year. However, Denver has been there and knows what is in store. Cam and the Panthers WILL face their greatest challenge yet. The D3nver defense is unlike anything they have faced all season. Dont give me the Arizona defense crap.
It's different but not necessarily better than the Seahawks D, whom the panthers beat twice.

It seems that people are projecting a Panthers' victory for all the same reasons most were projecting a Patriots' victory today. Hmmm... I like it.

It's different but not necessarily better than the Seahawks D, whom the panthers beat twice.
Seattles defense this year is not on the same level as Denvers. Period.

It seems that people are projecting a Panthers' victory for all the same reasons most were projecting a Patriots' victory today. Hmmm... I like it.
yup. When you see people saying the Panthers D and Bronco D is a wash, you know its gonna be....fun.

yup.When you see people saying the Panthers D and Bronco D is a wash, you know its gonna be....fun.
Yep. The Broncos offense will struggle to score, but how are those Panthers WRs ever going to get open against this Bronco defense?

Stats disagree, but okay.

yup. When you see people saying the Panthers D and Bronco D is a wash, you know its gonna be....fun.
Panthers D is not what Denvers D is. People seem to be sleeping on Denvers D. There really is no team applying the kind of pressure Denver is. Cam will be running for his life in two weeks.

The Broncos pash rush against a mostly stationary Brady was a huge factor. The Broncos pass rush against Cam isn't going to have quite as big of an impact. The Broncos have a great defense, but they can be scored on.

We'll have to see what happened to Thomas Davis' arm, but the Panthers defense is going to have it's way with the Broncos offense. They won't be able to run the ball, Norman will take away Thomas, and the pass rush is going to make life very difficult for Manning to throw anything down the field. Not that Manning looks good doing that anyways... he missed a few clear opportunties for TDs today with poor throws.

Respect the hell out of Peyton and I'll hate to see him go out this way, but this is the Panthers' year. That upset loss to the Falcons is going to sting...

Panthers 26, Broncos 13

When you face St. Louis and San Fran for one fourth of your schedule, it tends to skew those statistics. Ya know?

I get what you're saying. The main difference for me, is that you know how to shut down Brady, it's been seen a handful of times before. Get pressure, make him move around the pocket. I think that's where a guy like Cam thrives. He can run, he can throw accurately on the move. He has probably the strongest arm in the league. He has Ginn to keep the defense backed up. In fact pressure is what you DON'T want to do to Cam. Per ESPN:

A word of advice for Broncos DC Wade Phillips: Leave the blitzes at home. Yes, the Broncos are third in Total QBR allowed when they bring five or more pass rushers, but they're also fifth when they play it straight. And Newton torches blitzing defenses. Consider this: 23.3 percent of Newton's completions vs. the blitz went for 20 yards or more, compared with just 13.9 percent when defenses didn't bring heat.

Broncos 24

Panthers 13

I am certain Wade Philips didnt get this defense to #1 by using cookie cutter schemes for every team. He will have something special to confuse and pressure young Cam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Panthers D is not what Denvers D is. People seem to be sleeping on Denvers D. There really is no team applying the kind of pressure Denver is. Cam will be running for his life in two weeks.
That's probably true, but if there's one player in the league I trust to make good things happen when running for his life, it's cam. He also might make bad things happen. But it will be exciting.

That's probably true, but if there's one player in the league I trust to make good things happen when running for his life, it's cam. He also might make bad things happen. But it will be exciting.
No doubt about that. I actually like Cam so there wont be any ill feelings.

I get what you're saying. The main difference for me, is that you know how to shut down Brady, it's been seen a handful of times before. Get pressure, make him move around the pocket. I think that's where a guy like Cam thrives. He can run, he can throw accurately on the move. He has probably the strongest arm in the league. He has Ginn to keep the defense backed up. In fact pressure is what you DON'T want to do to Cam. Per ESPN:
A word of advice for Broncos DC Wade Phillips: Leave the blitzes at home. Yes, the Broncos are third in Total QBR allowed when they bring five or more pass rushers, but they're also fifth when they play it straight. And Newton torches blitzing defenses. Consider this: 23.3 percent of Newton's completions vs. the blitz went for 20 yards or more, compared with just 13.9 percent when defenses didn't bring heat.
I'm pretty sure I was that exact same article today, except it was about blitzing Brady.Also, not sure what the play-counts say, but by my eye the Broncos rushed 3 more than 5. They are the odd team that can get pressure without blitzing.

The same can be said about Brady, though. He shreds teams when they blitz. The key is that Denver can get consistent pressure with a 4 man rush.

I'm pretty sure I was that exact same article today, except it was about blitzing Brady.Also, not sure what the play-counts say, but by my eye the Broncos rushed 3 more than 5. They are the odd team that can get pressure without blitzing.
Beat me to it :hifive:

yup.When you see people saying the Panthers D and Bronco D is a wash, you know its gonna be....fun.
Yep. The Broncos offense will struggle to score, but how are those Panthers WRs ever going to get open against this Bronco defense?
The Broncos defense matches up GREAT against the Pats offense. The Pats were a pass-only offense with a stationary QB taking on a team with a dynamic pass rush and top notch secondary.

The reasons the Panthers should win are 100% different than why most people expected a Patriots win today.

I live in Charlotte and watched the Steelers take on the Broncos defense twice. I don't expect an offensive explosion from the Panthers, but they'll move the ball, and I expect Cam's legs to cause the Broncos as many problems as the Broncos pass rush can cause him.

I think Denver's defense is better than Panthers defense. But that difference isn't even in the same stratosphere as the difference between the Panthers offense and the Broncos offense.

I live in Charlotte and watched the Steelers take on the Broncos defense twice. I don't expect an offensive explosion from the Panthers, but they'll move the ball, and I expect Cam's legs to cause the Broncos as many problems as the Broncos pass rush can cause him.

I think Denver's defense is better than Panthers defense. But that difference isn't even in the same stratosphere as the difference between the Panthers offense and the Broncos offense.
Agreed. Cam's legs are going to be a big problem. The Panthers should win this game, but you just never know.

the panthers have boat raced two really good teams.

The broncos are just barley surviving, rope a dope if you will.

I think Panthers run it up big and then force peyton to throw.

Car 31 - Den 17

Not really people were predicting a Pats victory because of Brady and Belicheck.

When you face St. Louis and San Fran for one fourth of your schedule, it tends to skew those statistics. Ya know?
True. But looking at Denver's schedule, what top offenses did they shut down? Really they're lucky brown, bell and dwill were out last week.

True. But looking at Denver's schedule, what top offenses did they shut down? Really they're lucky brown, bell and dwill were out last week.
They faced the #3 twice, #4 twice, #7, and #9 twice.

They faced the #3 twice, #4 twice, #7, and #9 twice.
And they shut down those teams?

The Broncos defense matches up GREAT against the Pats offense. The Pats were a pass-only offense with a stationary QB taking on a team with a dynamic pass rush and top notch secondary.

The reasons the Panthers should win are 100% different than why most people expected a Patriots win today.

Agreed.

I called the defenses a wash. I do think Denver has the slightly better defense but they aren’t that far apart

Total yards per game – #1 Denver 283.1 vs #6 Carolina 322.9

Scoring defense – #4 Denver 18.5 ppg vs. #6 Carolina 19.2 ppg

Seattle is the hottest team in the NFL. No way Panthers can win. Legion of Boom. Be afraid Beastmode is back.

Oh no really Arizona is the best team in the NFL going to win the Super Bowl after they beat the Panthers. Panthers won't be able to run or stop Arizonas offense with the unstoppable Fitz.

I haven't watched much of the Panthers this season, so can any Panthers Homers chime in... How is their offensive line?

Users who are viewing this thread