What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maybe the earth is flat (1 Viewer)

The group's Vice President explains

The question of belief and sincerity is one that comes up a lot. If I had to guess, I would probably say that at least some of our members see the Flat Earth Society and Flat Earth Theory as a kind of epistemological exercise, whether as a critique of the scientific method or as a kind of solipsism for beginners. There are also probably some who thought the certificate would be kind of funny to have on their wall. That being said, I know many members personally, and I am fully convinced of their belief.

My own convictions are a result of philosophical introspection and a considerable body of data that I have personally observed, and which I am still compiling.

Copernicus, of course, ####ed everything up by introducing his theory of heliocentrism. Flat Earthers acknowledge that while Copernicus’s math was right, he lacked the technology necessary to definitively prove his theory. Still, the idea took hold, governments started preaching it, and a centuries-long lie was born.
Thanks for restoring my faith in humanity, Righetti.

Traversing Interstate 80 between Omaha and New York has been known to inspire this delusion among some drivers... :loco:

Some of my greatest memories were going to the top of the World Trade Center and seeing Tokyo off in the distance.

I have a FB friend (who I previously thought was a pretty normal dude) that believes the world is flat (and that the government is behind 9/11, and that the moon landing was fake, and that all the mass-shootings are/were fake). It's pretty crazy. He gives all kinds of examples/reasons why he believes these things and I generally find the debates interesting/amusing.

The one thing he has no answer for is how people set-sail (or fly) in one direction and eventually travel around the world and end up back in the same place. How do the world-is-flat nuts explain this?

I have a FB friend (who I previously thought was a pretty normal dude) that believes the world is flat (and that the government is behind 9/11, and that the moon landing was fake, and that all the mass-shootings are/were fake). It's pretty crazy. He gives all kinds of examples/reasons why he believes these things and I generally find the debates interesting/amusing.

The one thing he has no answer for is how people set-sail (or fly) in one direction and eventually travel around the world and end up back in the same place. How do the world-is-flat nuts explain this?
You just do a hard 180 at Tokyo.

Maybe it's flat, but there's also a bottom?

I have a FBG friend (who I previously thought was a pretty normal dude) that believes the world is flat (and that the government is behind 9/11, and that the moon landing was fake, and that all the mass-shootings are/were fake). It's pretty crazy. He gives all kinds of examples/reasons why he believes these things and I generally find the debates interesting/amusing.

:lol:

On this flat earth, how thick is it? Maybe the answer for that guy is that it's like a treadmill belt, It's thick enough that as you get near the edge, you start to turn and don't know that you are on the bottom side of the 'disk shaped earth'. Thus you end up back where you started. Just trying to help that idiot out.

btw, do any of these idiots actually explain how thick the earth is and that if it has any thickness, it's really not flat at all...just rectangular. :lol:   I've actually never met one of these morons and would love to hear the explanation. Are they like bigfoot and are impossible to find live and in person?

Last edited by a moderator:
On this flat earth, how thick is it? Maybe the answer for that guy is that it's like a treadmill belt, It's thick enough that as you get near the edge, you start to turn and don't know that you are on the bottom side of the 'disk shaped earth'. Thus you end up back where you started. Just trying to help that idiot out.

btw, do any of these idiots actually explain how thick the earth is and that if it has any thickness, it's really not flat at all...just rectangular. :lol:   I've actually never met one of these morons and would love to hear the explanation. Are they like bigfoot and are impossible to find live and in person?
uh....

I know this is an old post but the correct answer is Pac-Man tunnels

If I understand this guys logic... He's built a stream powered rocket so he can go up into the air to disprove fake astronauts claims about seeing the Earth as a globe. The rocket will go 1,800' in the air. Can't he just drive to the top of a hill instead? Or take a commercial plane.

Love this:

“I don’t believe in science,” Hughes said. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction.”

“I don’t believe in science,” Hughes said. 
This is when the world began to end for me - my sister, dept head for HP, daughter of the man who invented the grow light, sharer of the same DNA as frikkin wikkid, uttered those very words at a family gathering a few years ago. There was not a milligram of doubt in her that that was an option and she said it with the confidence of one with a nation behind her. No one is as aware as i how malleable truth can be in the hands of a woman, but how can there be progress, the differences made that will hopefully someday bring everyone in from the cold, when selfishness can reach this level?!

ETA: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understand this guys logic... He's built a stream powered rocket so he can go up into the air to disprove fake astronauts claims about seeing the Earth as a globe. The rocket will go 1,800' in the air. Can't he just drive to the top of a hill instead? Or take a commercial plane.

Love this:

“I don’t believe in science,” Hughes said. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction.”
The best part is that all his "formulas" and his ability to calculate a trajectory are founded on the laws and mathematics of a spherical earth. 

Here is some video footage of his last launch.  Anyway, I don't think he views this as the definitive flight to prove flat earth.  I believe this is another stepping stone towards a much higher planned flight in the future.  Maybe he can take BoB and Kyrie along with him as a passengers.

Users who are viewing this thread