What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Carson Wentz, KC (2 Viewers)

Carson Wentz completed 22-of-32 passes for 228 yards and three touchdowns in the Eagles' Week 14 overtime loss to the Cowboys.

Wentz was truly awful in the first half as Dallas sluggishly allowed Philly to take the field for only 17 plays. Following Dak Prescott's (second) interception inside his own five-yard line, Wentz got going with a two-yard rocket to Alshon Jeffery (6/50/1). He later hit Nelson Agholor for 42 yards in-stride over Byron Jones, setting up a six-yard dump-off score to Darren Sproles. The Eagles didn't even touch the ball in overtime. It was a valiant effort for Philadelphia, but Wentz ultimately leveraged short second-half field position into an otherwise horrendous showing against the Cowboys' nightmarish pass rush. He's a borderline QB1 against the Rams in Week 15.

Dec 9 - 8:41 PM

Foles to jeffery - that’s a thing, right? I seem to recall that being a thing. 

Wentz out, who’s stock goes up, who’s goes down? 

Story gaining steam that he'll probably sit the rest of the way. Matchups weren't great to close anyway unless you had a Week 17 championship. 

I'd not assume anything until someone other than Rapoport confirms it, but I think the Eagles know their season is over and they won't risk him if there really is an injury. 

I wasn't excited about Wentz anyways.

I have been looking at the wire. 

Allen, Lamar, Trubisky, Carr, & Mayfield are all in my consideration list. 

Hate to say, but I kind of like Carr this week. 

Carson Wentz received a second opinion on his injured back last week during the team's trip to Los Angeles.

Wentz has reportedly been pushing to play despite being diagnosed with a fractured back vertebra, though external doctors believe he should sit out until the injury heals, an opinion shared by the Eagles medical staff. "We're going to trust the medical staff," said coach Doug Pederson. "You have to make sure that there won’t be any setbacks if we put him back out there." Wentz's odds of returning this year are slim to none.

Source: John Clark on Twitter 

Dec 21 - 1:59 PM

I think we all can admit this was a "down" year for Wentz. But, coming off a torn ACL and LCL, and playing part of the season with a fracture in his back, Wentz still ranked: 

3rd in Cmp%

7th in QB Rate

9th in Yards/Game

11th in DVOA

12th in QBR

12th in Yards/Attempt

Not bad!

I think we all can admit this was a "down" year for Wentz. But, coming off a torn ACL and LCL, and playing part of the season with a fracture in his back, Wentz still ranked: 

3rd in Cmp%

7th in QB Rate

9th in Yards/Game

11th in DVOA

12th in QBR

12th in Yards/Attempt

Not bad!
He was actually on fire prior to things collapsing around week 11, which we can now speculate may have been because of the back issue.  Dude was throwing for ~300 yards and 2-3 TDs every week prior to week 11.  Heck other than his first game back there wasn't a single week prior to that where he didn't throw for either 300+ yards or 3 TDs and he never scored fewer than 22 fantasy points in a game.

And yet people are questioning if Foles should be the starter. 
Not amongst Eagles fans. It'ss very rare that I hear an eagles fan say he thinks Foles should be the starter over Wentz. Maybe 1 in 20.  I think you're hearing it from non Eagle fans as a way of digging at our franchise quarterback. Everyone saw what a healthy Wentz wast year. He was the best quarterback in the entire league.  Someone up thread made a good comparison. Foles is an Eli Manning type. He can get streaky and get hot at times. Wentz is an Aaron Rodgers. And they are rare to come by.

Not amongst Eagles fans. It'ss very rare that I hear an eagles fan say he thinks Foles should be the starter over Wentz. Maybe 1 in 20.  I think you're hearing it from non Eagle fans as a way of digging at our franchise quarterback. Everyone saw what a healthy Wentz wast year. He was the best quarterback in the entire league.  Someone up thread made a good comparison. Foles is an Eli Manning type. He can get streaky and get hot at times. Wentz is an Aaron Rodgers. And they are rare to come by.
Oh 100%. Def not Eagles fans. 

Can’t see any legit argument for Foles over Wentz long term.  “Good Foles” is really good and can win a Super bowl, but he has been around many years and “Bad Foles” is an endemic part of his game.  We had Bad Foles earlier this year and he doesn’t even look like a solid backup.  That is what Nick Foles is.  You can gamble on him when you need to, but he can just as easily bury your season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t see any legit argument for Foles over Wentz long term.  “Good Foles” is really good and can win a Super bowl, but he has been around many years and “Bad Foles” is an endemic part of his game.  We had Bad Foles earlier this year and he doesn’t even look like a solid backup.  That is what Nick Foles is.  You can gamble on him when you need to, but he can just as easily bury your season.
Foles has been great in a wco his entire career. 4 or 5 bad games but who hasn't? 

That wasn't bad Foles earlier this year. That was average Foles. Bad Foles is when he has a coach that thinks it's 1985 and designs his offense as such. Then you'll see bad Foles.

REally, a HOF QB in Eli is what you compare to often hurt Wentz? Ok...

So Kurt Warner, Peyton, etc are also junk b/c SB?
Might wanna check your reading comprehension. I made the comparison in the Eagles thread. Foles is like Eli Manning....decent, and streaky. In the right context with the right pieces around him, you can win with him. He's a solid NFL QB and deserves a starting gig, but he's not an Aaron Rodgers. Wentz may never hit his full potential, but we've seen flashes of that potential. You don't keep an ELi Manning when you have a shot at an Aaron Rodgers....and THAT is where Wentz' ceiling is.

You should look up "results"

Ryan Leaf had potential too...
He was leading the mvp race before he got injured last year.  

ETA.  He also led us to a first round bye and home field advantage throughout the playoffs, but, you know.  Whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
So ... SI's early 2019 rankings are out, and Wentz's may be the most egregiously bad of any player at any position.

He's at QB17. QB17!  Behind the likes of Trubisky, Winston, and Lamar Jackson, to say nothing of Rivers (who may retire) and Newton (who may not play at all)

Ranking him behind Mahomes, A-Rod, Luck, Watson, Wilson I get. Brees, certainly, unless he retires. Maybe Ryan and Goff. But I'm fresh out of names to put ahead of him after that.

Is he really going to be valued as a QB2 heading into next season? If so, even after I take off my green-tinted glasses, there's massive fantasy profit potential here and I'll be scooping up every share I can get my hands on. 

So ... SI's early 2019 rankings are out, and Wentz's may be the most egregiously bad of any player at any position.

He's at QB17. QB17!  Behind the likes of Trubisky, Winston, and Lamar Jackson, to say nothing of Rivers (who may retire) and Newton (who may not play at all)

Ranking him behind Mahomes, A-Rod, Luck, Watson, Wilson I get. Brees, certainly, unless he retires. Maybe Ryan and Goff. But I'm fresh out of names to put ahead of him after that.

Is he really going to be valued as a QB2 heading into next season? If so, even after I take off my green-tinted glasses, there's massive fantasy profit potential here and I'll be scooping up every share I can get my hands on. 
Yea that list blows

Is he really going to be valued as a QB2 heading into next season? If so, even after I take off my green-tinted glasses, there's massive fantasy profit potential here and I'll be scooping up every share I can get my hands on
I would love to get Wentz that late next year, but I doubt he stays that low heading into next preseason.

He'll be a top 5 or 6 fantasy QB next year. And very possibly the league MVP.  He was the last time he entered a season healthy.

He'll be a top 5 or 6 fantasy QB next year. And very possibly the league MVP.  He was the last time he entered a season healthy.
After he shook off the rust he quietly put together a really nice stretch of games for the meat of the season last year.  And that was without any rushing stats as the knee clearly still wasn't 100%.  He was very quietly on a 4500 yard, 31 TD pace this year again despite not being fully healthy.

Assuming the back thing isn't something too crazy, another year away from the knee injury he's a major buy candidate.  He's a top 5 QB for me.  26 year old coming off back to back seasons where his 16 game pace was 4100/40 and 4500/31, plus he adds some solid rushing stats when healthy.

I know people will be worried about whether they can count on him to play 16 games but that is less of an issue to me in 1qb leagues since it's so easy to find a solid replacement if he misses time.

In this day and age of instant information regarding fantasy football, my two best weapons to remain competitive year after year (been doing this since 1992) is to use this forum to get insight from other posters closer to situations and DRAFTING COMEBACK PLAYERS. A psychologist could probably explain it better but “recency bias” kills drafters. People hold a grudge on players who have a down year due to injury. Sometimes it’s justified but often it’s not. Andrew Luck helped me out big time this year. Next year I’ll be betting on Wentz. I’m convinced I’ll land him in several leagues at a huge discount with the potential for top 3 production.

Citing a "half dozen players, plus other sources close to the team," Philly Voice reports Carson Wentz created tension in the Eagles' 2018 locker room and "complicated" the offense.

We weren't quite sure what to make of the story by Joseph Santoliquito but decided to at least pass it along. Santoliquito paints a picture of a young franchise quarterback navigating growing pains as well as ego. Per Santoliquito, Wentz has a great relationship with Nick Foles but less so with other teammates. Santoliquito also reports Wentz was prone to going off script this season after losing Frank Reich as offensive coordinator. For their part, many of Wentz's teammates/Eagles officials have gone on the record to strongly deny the story. Regardless of how much of this is noise, Wentz will certainly be on the spot in 2019. It's been a bizarre 1.5 years for a player who was cruising toward MVP honors in 2017 before shredding his knee.

Source: PhillyVoice.com

Jan 21 - 3:30 PM

Responding to a January article questioning his character and 2018 attitude, Carson Wentz said "I'm not perfect."

Wentz was surprisingly introspective responding to the wave-making PhillyVoice piece, disputing some specific assertions but acknowledging some of its broader strokes. "I know I’m not perfect. I know I have flaws," Wentz said. "So I’m not going to sit here and say it was inaccurate and completely made up. I’m not going to do that." Wentz also said he's unlikely to change. "I’m 26 years old; my personality, to some extent, ain’t going to change. ... It’s what’s gotten me here, what’s gotten me successful. I’m not going to say, ‘Oh, now I’m going to have this free-spirited, Cali-guy vibe.’ That’s just not going to change." They are fascinating, candid answers from a quarterback who has had a bizarre 15 months since injury likely cost him the 2017 MVP award. Wentz will have plenty to prove in 2019. He has the skill to do it.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Feb 4 - 2:16 PM

Users who are viewing this thread