Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: QB Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles

Recommended Posts

It's hard to get a read on Wentz this year.

He had that unbelievable start last year and then really cooled off. But we have to remember that he was a rookie thrown right into the fire and looking at the whole body of work, did pretty well.

Fast forward a year, they've put a few new weapons around him in Jeffery and Smith, an improved Aghelor, and one of the better pass catching TEs in Ertz.

It seems like the pieces are in place for a leap forward for Wentz. Time will tell if he's got the moxie to the point that all of us will be saying "how did we miss this one?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fully went all in on him for my QB2 to play in my super flex. I have a good feeling about him this year. He's got some improved weapons and nothing earth shattering in the backfield. As zamboni noted last year he was thrown in the fire. As a rookie in that situation, I thought he did admirably. I feel a step forward to 10-15 best is well within reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Frank Reich on Carson Wentz progress in year 2

"He has exceeded where you would expect him to be"

 

If Frank is saying it, does that mean we should expect an even bigger comeback win than being down 35-3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carson Wentz looks like a legit top 10 (currently #3 in the league after 2 games) fantasy qb. When you consider the fact that the Eagles have zero running game, Wentz is being forced to put the ball in the air over 40 times per game...Combine that with the growth of his game (he just looks more poised + in control) in his second year, I really think Wentz has breakout potential going forward...Really liking what I’m seeing to this point

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have wentz riding the bench behind Russell Wilson and that mistake has cost me loads of points these first  2 weeks. Need Carson to cut down on the turnovers but from a volume perspective he definitely looks to be a legit too 10 FF candidate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sat him twice behind Rodgers and he'll be benched again this week despite outscoring Rodgers both weeks. As the season goes on though, I'll look for some sweet matchups (probably when GB is on the road) to get him in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Insein said:

Sat him twice behind Rodgers and he'll be benched again this week despite outscoring Rodgers both weeks. As the season goes on though, I'll look for some sweet matchups (probably when GB is on the road) to get him in there.

He is going to have a tough matchup vs the Giants in week 3, but after that he has some opponents that he should be able to have big games against. I think he is a #1 qb going forward...I’d rather have him than guys like Russell Wilson Marcus Mariota. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bern enjoying the production the first two weeks after being forced to start him with Luck out, but didn't he start strong last year too and then peter out as the season went on? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I traded Rodgers and I'm rolling with Went and Watson. Wentz got me 42 last week. Going with Watson this week but Wentz had another nice game last night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2017 at 7:36 PM, FreeBaGeL said:

Bern enjoying the production the first two weeks after being forced to start him with Luck out, but didn't he start strong last year too and then peter out as the season went on? 

he started well.  but this is even better and actually looks sustainable because he has real wrs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was bummed he was the best remaining qb when I got around to picking one. No more! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shadyridr said:

Brown's could've used him I think

Oh come on.  Do you think he would be any more than a replacement level player had the Browns drafted him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fred_1_15301 said:

Oh come on.  Do you think he would be any more than a replacement level player had the Browns drafted him?

Of course not but the guys they have don't belong in the league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy he's my guy in both my dynasties. Set it and forget for a loooooooong time.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Gator said:

Happy he's my guy in both my dynasties. Set it and forget for a loooooooong time.

The kid is very impressive, but I'm not ready to call him a long-time set and forget guy. We've seen other QBs have some great top 5 seasons (e.g., Rivers, Newton, Ryan) but fall back to the pack. That said, the arrow is certainly pointing up big time, and you have to love the added rushing ability he brings.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, zamboni said:

The kid is very impressive, but I'm not ready to call him a long-time set and forget guy. We've seen other QBs have some great top 5 seasons (e.g., Rivers, Newton, Ryan) but fall back to the pack. That said, the arrow is certainly pointing up big time, and you have to love the added rushing ability he brings.

Wait til they draft a real running back.

:chills:

Tex

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigTex said:

Wait til they draft a real running back.

:chills:

Tex

Actually I'd rather not them draft a RB stud. While it could improve the offense even more, mediocre running game = more passing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Actually I'd rather not them draft a RB stud. While it could improve the offense even more, mediocre running game = more passing.

That doesn't have to be the case at all.  Anything they can do to give him more options is good.  A strong running game will convert more first downs and result in more possessions.  A guy with good balanced skills - Forte, Duke,  McCoy, DJ - would be an outstanding addition. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

That doesn't have to be the case at all.  Anything they can do to give him more options is good.  A strong running game will convert more first downs and result in more possessions.  A guy with good balanced skills - Forte, Duke,  McCoy, DJ - would be an outstanding addition. 

That Bell guy in Pittsburgh is a FA after this year too....:thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

That doesn't have to be the case at all.  Anything they can do to give him more options is good.  A strong running game will convert more first downs and result in more possessions.  A guy with good balanced skills - Forte, Duke,  McCoy, DJ - would be an outstanding addition. 

Would love to see Dion Lewis come back into the fold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

That Bell guy in Pittsburgh is a FA after this year too....:thumbup:

That would be criminal if they signed him. Dual threat RB with Wentz.

Wentz & Bell owner. :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After watching Wentz last night I am sold. 

Not counting his physical talent what I saw last night that I don`t see in Matt Stafford is complete Rodgers, Peyton, Brady type awareness at all times on the field. Just can`t teach that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

That Bell guy in Pittsburgh is a FA after this year too....:thumbup:

 

36 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Would love to see Dion Lewis come back into the fold.

Well I was listing players as examples of guys with the skillset they should look for in the draft since only Forte would be remotely available but sure, an FA RB could serve the same purpose.

Edited by Hankmoody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

After watching Wentz last night I am sold. 

Not counting his physical talent what I saw last night that I don`t see in Matt Stafford is complete Rodgers, Peyton, Brady type awareness at all times on the field. Just can`t teach that.

The fact that in his 2nd year, his hard counts are drawing defenders off sides for 1st downs and exposing what the defense is going to do puts him way ahead of the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Carson Wentz is a class act.  His story with the 10 year old cancer victim is heartbreaking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Browns will look back in ten years and weep.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, petekrum said:

The Browns will look back in ten years and weep.

Unless they strike gold in 2018 and even then the odds are the QB they take won't be this good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried to acquire in my dynasty league as my QB stable has been decimated (Luck, Palmer, Bradford, Hundley (TS)).

Offered 2018 and 2019 1st rounders and turned down. Sent another offer of Luck and my 2018 1st and waiting for response. That may be too much if Luck comes back as his old self but what do we really know there? Crapshoot either way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, petekrum said:

The Browns will look back in ten years and weep.

I mean they probably will be doing that during the 10 years too and for reasons entirely untelated to Carson.

Edited by Insein
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Tried to acquire in my dynasty league as my QB stable has been decimated (Luck, Palmer, Bradford, Hundley (TS)).

Offered 2018 and 2019 1st rounders and turned down. Sent another offer of Luck and my 2018 1st and waiting for response. That may be too much if Luck comes back as his old self but what do we really know there? Crapshoot either way?

As a Wentz owner, I turn those offers down all day. Right now it's harder to find a stud QB than a stud RB. Luck, even when he comes back, is faced with a craptastic team around him including an OL that really blows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still remember hearing a report, possibly by Mike Mayock, that during senior bowl week, this QB from tiny North Dakota State was not only the most impressive quarterback there, but the most impressive player there, regardless of position.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own Wentz in all three of my dynasty leagues, so full disclosure on that subject.  I think he's the top dynasty QB right now.  There is no QB I would trade him straight up for.  I know some Rodgers' owners will disagree, but the possible longevity with Wentz at QB for the next 10-15 years puts him over the top IMO.  Another season-ending injury to Rodgers, who will be 34 in December, also solidifies Wentz as the #1 dynasty QB.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2017 at 11:33 AM, Insein said:

I mean they probably will be doing that during the 10 years too and for reasons entirely untelated to Carson.

Just living in Cleveland is reason enough for grown men to cry.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious to hear what types of offers people are seeing in redraft. I was offered Rivers and Kamara. On the one hand, I'm tempted. It's not a QB-heavy scoring league, my RBs are terrible and Rivers is a decent starting option. And yet ... still feel like that's not enough for the level he's playing at right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

I know the hype-machine is in high gear, but Peter King (SI) made the same comparison Tuesday morning.  I've also heard him referred to as a combo of Roethlisberger and Rogers.

Peter King on Philly radio morning after the Redskins game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guy has been so money  season but I am contemplating keeping him out this weekend.  Home game in what looks to be a big rainstorm against a bad team has me thinking he doesn’t put up the gaudy stats we’ve been seeing. 

 

Obviously need to wait until Sunday morning to get a better forecast but are other folks considering benching him if the weather is really rainy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still calling for crappy weather today.  Lots of rain and 25mph winds.  Folks still rolling him out today? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still like him because he will run in crappy weather and SF has been generous to QB's who take off and run. One rushing TD = two throwing TD's in our one league. Perhaps a dump off to Smallwood for 1 and another to Ertz or a WR for another. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.