What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many people have to cut cable for MLB to deal with the blackout po (1 Viewer)

pollardsvision

Footballguy
Surely, it's got to happen at some point, right?

Obviously, it won't be soon, as teams still keep getting these massive broadcast deals that count on one thing.....people paying crazy amounts for cable packages to watch local teams (along with the much larger number of non-baseball fans that happen to buy these tiers, but won't be watching any games)

But as more and more people cut out these cable packages, at some point, that model has to stop making sense. Luckily, I follow an out of market team, so MLB.tv remains a great deal, but for fans of local teams, it obviously sucks.

I don't think cordcutting is going to slow down anytime soon, and surely baseball teams can't keep ignoring the cordcutting MLB fans that would gladly pay hundreds of dollars a season to watch their local team.

It's funny because that Garber settlement mentions a change in the blackout policy which in reality is a "#### you, we didn't change a thing". Yes, you can now watch local teams on MLB.tv......as long as you already have a cable subscription with the local broadcast channel. Though, I guess the upside is that it really means, "as long as you have a friend that's paying for a cable subscription and will give you their login info".

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely, it's got to happen at some point, right?

Obviously, it won't be soon, as teams still keep getting these massive broadcast deals that count on one thing.....people paying crazy amounts for cable packages to watch local teams (along with the much larger number of non-baseball fans that happen to buy these tiers, but won't be watching any games)

But as more and more people cut out these cable packages, at some point, that model has to stop making sense. Luckily, I follow an out of market team, so MLB.tv remains a great deal, but for fans of local teams, it obviously sucks.

I don't think cordcutting is going to slow down anytime soon, and surely baseball teams can't keep ignoring the cordcutting MLB fans that would gladly pay hundreds of dollars a season to watch their local team.

It's funny because that Garber settlement mentions a change in the blackout policy which in reality is a "#### you, we didn't change a thing". Yes, you can now watch local teams on MLB.tv......as long as you already have a cable subscription with the local broadcast channel. Though, I guess the upside is that it really means, "as long as you have a friend that's paying for a cable subscription and will give you their login info".
I think the trend is that local sports channels will offer the game to stream via your cable subscription.

Like here it's Fox Sports North and I believe I can stream games on the FSGO app.

The teams and regional sports networks are co-dependent. In some cases, the clubs have ownership stakes in the RSN or vice versa. In all cases, the broadcast rights are a major source of revenue. I think the teams will fight hard to keep the customers tied to cable and MLB is first and foremost a cartel of owners. I know MLB Advance Media has been doing a good job expanding their platform but this is much more of a commercial matter than technical.

I don't buy the package because most of the games are over by the time I'm ready to start watching on the West Coast. I can stream Giants and A's games via the NBCSports app and will occasionally watch one of the out of market PST games if it's free on MLB. That's probably enough baseball for me.

I'm more technical than Doug B but Mrs Eephus isn't and she's the main TV watcher in the house. If we cut the cable, I'm committing myself to doing a lot of evening tech support for her. That inconvenience coupled with the content choices still only available via cable are enough to keep us connected.

It's still better than using a dns unblocker. Just get someone's login. No unblocker saves me 60-70 bucks a year. That's damn near the cost of a single team plan.

Culdeus, how much for you to come over to Funkytown and set up my system so I can watch the Rangers this year?

Seems this will happen this year barring some legal challenges on a team by team basis.  

Sling TV is bringing people one step closer. Regional FOX sports networks that carry local teams will be available for $20/mo (this includes 15 teams). The $20/mo. includes the other FOX channels (like FX), along with about 20 other channels (AMC, CNN, TNT, TBS, A&E, HIstory, Food Network, HGTV, etc)

For current Sling subscribers, note this is an alternate version. Unless you want to get both versions for $40, you basically have to pick between the FOX channels or the ESPN channels. Neither package has both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread