What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The new Bourne film (1 Viewer)

They were filming a car chase down LV Boulevard this week. Amazing how much time and expense it takes to film an action scene that is probably a minute of screen time.

I'm psyched. I read quite a few Ludlum books back in the day, with the Bourne series being my favorite. Damon does it really, really well.

I'm psyched. I read quite a few Ludlum books back in the day, with the Bourne series being my favorite. Damon does it really, really well.
Really? I read some of the series and quit because the writing was incredibly dry and boring. I rank it in my bottom 5.Bourne is a clear case of the movies being far superior to the books.

Another one?

Seriously?
Why is this a surprise at all?
Because they have bled the books completely dry in the original trilogy and still only made a meh result with steadily diminishing results, then crashed and burned the franchise with the fourth effort so there should be every expectation that the fifth attempt will be just as bad as Terminator : Genisys

Last edited by a moderator:
Another one?

Seriously?
Because they have bled the books completely dry in the original trilogy and still only made a meh result with steadily diminishing results, then crashed and burned the franchise with the fourth effort so there should be every expectation that the fifth attempt will be just as bad as Terminator : Genisys
Fair enough. I really like the 1st 3. I don't like Renner in anything, so no surprise i didn't like #4. I am all for them trying another with Damon.

Another one?

Seriously?
Bled the books dry? Beyond the premise that's covered in the first few minutes of the first movie, the movies are only very loosely related to the books. As someone above mentioned, this is one of the few cases where the movies are actually better for it.

All 3 of the Damon movies were great. 4 was forgettable, but like most I'm excited for another Damon version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I read some of the series and quit because the writing was incredibly dry and boring. I rank it in my bottom 5.Bourne is a clear case of the movies being far superior to the books.
Ludlum is a terrible writer who has some interesting ideas. See Dan Brown or John Grisham.

I haven't read Ludlum since my mid-twenties. I devoured everything of his. I really liked him at the time. I wonder if I'd feel the same if I read them now. I never considered him a poor writer at the time and have fond memories of those books.

I haven't read Ludlum since my mid-twenties. I devoured everything of his. I really liked him at the time. I wonder if I'd feel the same if I read them now. I never considered him a poor writer at the time and have fond memories of those books.
Yep, I read him in my early teens in the 80s. He very well could have been a ####ty writer, but at the time I enjoyed his books. Same with King and Gresham.

To say Robert Ludlum was not a great writer is craziness. The original Bourne Identity is the gold standard. The movies did not even scratch the surface of the story.

Bourne was created at Treadstone to bring out Carlos the Jackal by competing for the top international hitman contracts. The movies did not even have Carlos in them???? When I was watching the first Bourne movie I kept asking myself where the freak is Carlos? I thought it was total bs.

At least the made for tv movie included Carlos and the was close to the correct storyline.

The BI trilogy, The Materese Circle, The Rhineman Exchange and Gemini Contenders were all great books that I enjoyed thoroughly.

Robert Ludlum is one of the driest and most boring writers whose work I have read. He is like Dan Brown but without the nice pacing Brown gives you.

I know art is subjective, but I very rarely put down a book before it is finished. I watch TV shows I don't even like anymore, just to know how it ends. I'm the same way with books. I am a completionist at heart, and it takes a special kind of stink to make me leave something before its natural conclusion.

I walked away from the Bourne series 1/2 way through the second book. It was god awful. I've read plenty of rubbish in my day, and this series is among the worst of it. Outside of the idea framing the series, it is completely terrible. I'd rather read a dictionary.

He is NOT a great writer. He is not even a good writer. That isn't craziness, it is my opinion. I read a ton, but even if the only thing I'd ever read was the Bourne series, I'd still think he was terrible.

Hulkster- you should stick to comic books and come back to RL when you've grown up a little...
I've only ever read 1 comic book series (The Walking Dead). I read plenty of fiction. Ludlum is a terrible author. I doubt I'm the only one who thinks so. Sorry if he's your uncle or whatever.

for those that have not seen these you should give them a watch you might like them or you might not but at least you will know and that is half the battle take that to the bank gibrohans

Hulkster- you should stick to comic books and come back to RL when you've grown up a little...
I've only ever read 1 comic book series (The Walking Dead). I read plenty of fiction. Ludlum is a terrible author. I doubt I'm the only one who thinks so. Sorry if he's your uncle or whatever.
Ok, so he's a terrible writer because you didn't have the attention span to complete one of his many, many FANTASTIC books. And you're surely right, there are others who should have stayed in the young adult section of the library before picking up one of his works. He's so bad that he is one of the top selling authors of all time and even continues to sell new books from his grave through Eric von Lustbader- who decided he could channel RL and continue his writing style. I'm very thankful for the enjoyment I received when I read at least 20 of his books- and never considered putting one down once.

Peace!

Ok, so he's a terrible writer because you didn't have the attention span to complete one of his many, many FANTASTIC books. And you're surely right, there are others who should have stayed in the young adult section of the library before picking up one of his works. He's so bad that he is one of the top selling authors of all time and even continues to sell new books from his grave through Eric von Lustbader- who decided he could channel RL and continue his writing style. I'm very thankful for the enjoyment I received when I read at least 20 of his books- and never considered putting one down once.

Peace!
Get over yourself. Hulk doesn't like his writing, so what? Why do you feel the need to attack Hulk personally?

Peace!
Get over yourself. Hulk doesn't like his writing, so what? Why do you feel the need to attack Hulk personally?
I'm not attacking Hulk, I disagree with his assessment of what I consider to be an excellent writer. To say he is so bad may dissuade others from having a terrific reading experience. Who are you? Spiderman?

come on brohans like my main man john lennon mellancamp said read and let read take that to the bank bromigos

Peace!
I'm not attacking Hulk, I disagree with his assessment of what I consider to be an excellent writer. To say he is so bad may dissuade others from having a terrific reading experience. Who are you? Spiderman?
You're point blank saying I should stick to reading comics and teen romance fiction. That isn't an attack?

I've read plenty, of everything, and Ludlum is terrible. I'm sorry, but it is true. Perhaps you should read more? So you have a frame of reference as large as I do.

The Bourne Identity in book form is a good story (we can argue about the delivery by Ludlum separately). Carlos the Jackal was unfortunately a 1970's phenomenon that doesn't translate well, hence the update in villain etc in the movies. And the follow up books were increasingly horrible...

The movie franchise had it's run. Let it die

I'm one of the rare people that actually liked 4. I'm stoked for a 5th but won't watch the trailer until it airs.

Peace!
You're point blank saying I should stick to reading comics and teen romance fiction. That isn't an attack?

I've read plenty, of everything, and Ludlum is terrible. I'm sorry, but it is true. Perhaps you should read more? So you have a frame of reference as large as I do.
I never mentioned you reading teen romance fiction- I don't know where you got that from, I did say you should stick to comic books. For that I apologize for offending you, my bad. You don't like Ludlum, I really enjoyed reading all of his books. For me, the original Bourne Identity is a great read and one of the few books that I can and do reread.

I'm one of the rare people that actually liked 4. I'm stoked for a 5th but won't watch the trailer until it airs.
I thought 4 was fine, not great. I'll definitely be back for another Damon version. Love the movie series (never read the books).

I can tell you the license plate numbers of all six cars outside. I can tell you that our waitress is left-handed and the guy sitting up at the counter weighs two hundred fifteen pounds and knows how to handle himself. I know the best place to look for a gun is the cab or the gray truck outside, and at this altitude, I can run flat out for a half mile before my hands start shaking. Now why would I know that? How can I know that and not know who I am?

:shrug: I liked Ludlum's books.

I think people forget the original Bourne Identity came out in 1980 - it is essentially a 1970's spy thriller. Of course its going to read a little differently than a thriller set (or written) in today's world.

I read most, if not all, of Ludlum's early work - its just set in a different time frame, but I found the stories engaging.

Clancy upped the game for that genre, but Ludlum had his place.

I think people forget the original Bourne Identity came out in 1980 - it is essentially a 1970's spy thriller. Of course its going to read a little differently than a thriller set (or written) in today's world.

I read most, if not all, of Ludlum's early work - its just set in a different time frame, but I found the stories engaging.

This. Is. Good. Posting. The stories are from a different era. Toss in Ken Follett's Eye of the Needle, The Man from St. Petersburg then mix in some Frederick Forsythe's The Day of the Jackal and you have 70/80's style international intrigue at it's best!

Cain is for Carlos.

This. Is. Good. Posting. The stories are from a different era. Toss in Ken Follett's Eye of the Needle, The Man from St. Petersburg then mix in some Frederick Forsythe's The Day of the Jackal and you have 70/80's style international intrigue at it's best!

Cain is for Carlos.
Yep - read all of those.

I remember being very intrigued by the real Carlos the Jackal after reading Bourne Identity. May have sent me down the wrong path :oldunsure:

I thought 4 was fine, not great. I'll definitely be back for another Damon version. Love the movie series (never read the books).
I liked 4 a lot (probably more than the first 3) until the fire. After that, there really was not a lot more plot wise and it felt like one giant chase that seemed like it was never going to end.

I liked 4 a lot (probably more than the first 3) until the fire. After that, there really was not a lot more plot wise and it felt like one giant chase that seemed like it was never going to end.
You are probably a lot like me and many others who enjoy the intrigue and dialogue more-so then the action with fights and car chases.

Users who are viewing this thread