What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DI Jukebox Draft (66-15)- Listen up (1 Viewer)

I've tried very hard to avoid songs that I have picked in another draft.  And I've been avoiding this song because I thought I had put it onto the setlist for Florida Evans Recount, my Prince/Tina Turner led band in either the first or second Fantasy Rock Band draft on Ol Yeller.  But then I realized that Florida Evans Recount (don't hate me it was topical then) didn't have any Duran Duran members.  So I must have remembered bugging Bigbottom to put it on his setlist (and have Prince sing it) for his Glam Rock band led by Prince and Andy Taylor in a subsequent band draft.  So I can pick with a clear conscience.

Duran Duran -- Girls on Film -- 1981

And what the heck, it's not technically doubling up if I take 2/3 of Sleater Kinney again.

Wild Flag -- Romance -- 2011

22a Huddie Ledbetter - Moanin' - '30s ('34?) - Smithsonian Folkways Comp

22b Blondie - Call Me - 1980 - single according to Wiki and others

Because everybody needs a beautiful transitional interlude in their mix or juke, and everybody needs Blondie to bring it back up after all the macho stuff picked in last round.  

Last edited by a moderator:
22a Huddie Ledbetter - Moanin' - '30s ('34?) - Smithsonian Folkways Comp

22b Blondie - Call Me - 1980 - single according to Wiki and others

Because everybody needs a beautiful transitional interlude in their mix or juke, and everybody needs Blondie to bring it back up after all the macho stuff picked in last round.  
I took Call me

This song makes me ridiculously happy, so I need to have it on my jukebox so I can play it on repeat. I saw these guys twice last year and was basically in the front row both times. The second time they headlined our local "Peterborough Folk Festival", where for most of the day people sit on this big hill and watch the bands play and it's very nice and polite, but then at night there's a beer tent, and I sure did drink a half dozen or more of our fantastic local Publican House Ale's and sprint to the front middle of the stage and stay there for the whole show.

22.19 - The Rural Alberta Advantage - Muscle Relaxants (2011)

I took Call me
Damnit. Sorry. Let me check the sheet next time with a little Ctrl-F. I think we're at that part of the draft, frankly. Call Me was an awesome pick.  :lmao:

eta* I verified. 10th round. Nice snag, very early, or somebody else would have. I couldn't believe it was there. I'm listening to the master playlist at the end, wherein I can bask in the glory and the fun that is this draft.

22b - Blondie - The Tide Is High - 1980

Another pick for Blondie. I think Ledbetter segues better into Call Me, but this cover song was the one I heard at the dentist's the other day, so I'm picking it for the year.  I also ordered me a spanking new Blondie shirt with Debbie Harry wearing a sailor hat and Popeye shirt, so there's that. 

Aerial Assault said:
22.b       Genesis, "No Reply at All" (1981)     

Like my favorite band Yes, Genesis experienced a bumpy transition from progressive rock titans to pop radio superstars, but unlike Yes, Genesis fully embraced the change and made a mint off of it.  As with Yes, I like both incarnations of the group.  "No Reply at All" is one of the songs that most clearly shows the musical transmogrification in progress as Phil Collins's musical vision began to guide the band, but Genesis still retained many of its art rock roots and they are on full display here in a fascinating mix.  The song is made, of course, by the Earth Wind & Fire horn section (like one other terrific Genesis song and many tracks from Collins' solo career), but listen beyond that and Collins' flawless vocal featuring lyrics about a miscommunicating relationship, and the song is a musical treasurehouse.  There's Collins' heavy-tom drumming keeping the beat, and a fantastic bass part by Mike Rutherford that closely tracks - but never quite mimics - what the horns are doing while doing a fantastic job of sounding like the player is slapping and popping when in fact he's using a pick.  Meanwhile, Tony Banks employs a rolling synth line played on a now-antique Prophet 5 using what sounds to me like crosshand technique, and the part is closely doubled by a palm-muted guitar.  Finally, there's a breakdown where the horns and the bass trade riffs over a 4/4 beat trying its best to sound like an alternate time sig.  Every instrument is maximized and nothing is wasted.  Fantastic song.   
Hey, nice song, nice write-up. I remember this song and you're right -- it is that cool hybrid of prog rock to pop rock, and it works, IMO. 

I really enjoy it.  

Nice to see Blondie getting a fair amount of representation. I think that is 4 songs (and there are still at least 2 more I considered for this draft). Never would've expected David Bowie and The Beach Boys leading the charge though. 

Let's try to finish before the weekend

Round 23 this afternoon

Round 24 & 25 Friday AM

Rounds 26 Friday PM

Nice to see Blondie getting a fair amount of representation. I think that is 4 songs (and there are still at least 2 more I considered for this draft). Never would've expected David Bowie and The Beach Boys leading the charge though. 
I think maybe because Bowie was in the news for his death and people maybe got spurred or spotlighted into seeing his greatness manifest. The Beach Boys are also in the news with a tour and Love and Mercy, and are beloved, simply. Um, '66 was a great time for them with Pet Sounds. If it was '65-'14, I'm pretty sure I would have gone Beach Boys back-to-back with a pick.  

If I want to cause controversy in the draft, I'll say that '65-'67 Beach Boys were > than '65-'70 Beatles. I wrote in the Beach Boys thread about it.  

Bowie and Beach Boys doesn't surprise me, they've probably influenced more new bands these days than the Beatles and the Stones IMO.

Round 22...

2011 - Grenade (Acoustic) - Bruno Mars from 'The Grenade Sessions

If this doesn't work, I can re-pick.

2010 - Something About You (Acoustic) - Level 42
This was released in 2010 as part of a multi-disc GH set. It is completely different from the original, which I hope will allow me to take the song for this year. If it doesn't, let me know and I will repick.

It is one occasion where I prefer the redone (or cover) to the original.

22.e  Compared to What - Les McCann & Eddie Harris - 1969

A little jazz for the juke.  No wait, it's a swinging funky track with lyrics that are still topical.  Genre barriers weren't as impenetrable as they are today.  I can remember this song getting played on FM rock radio.

It was released on a 45 as well.

f2561.jpg

Need clarification on a live track:

1. Album and single are released in 1957.
  2. 12 years later, 1969, artist releases a studio album, which features a handful of live tracks
  3. Live tracks were performed in year 1969 and released on that studio album in the same year 1969
Is the live version eligible to be drafted in 1969 spot?

22.e  Reasons - Minnie Ripperton  1974

If you only know Ripperton from "Loving You" or for being Maya Rudolph's mother, this song will literally be a change of pace.  It's a mid-tempo rocker compared to the ballads she's remembered for.  The song was produced by Stevie Wonder during his early 70s creative peak.  There's a spare arrangement with just guitar, bass and drums and guitarist Michael Sembello (who later hit with "Maniac") gets to show off his considerable chops.  And speaking of chops, Minnie's incredible range is on full display here.

I still owe a lot.. sorry!  Just been CRZYBSY this past week

18 We Are Scientists - Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt (2005)

18 The Raconteurs - Steady As She Goes (2006)

19 The Killers - Tranquilize (2007)

19 Steel Train - Bullet (2010

KarmaPolice said:
Nice.  Looking at my list, I get to take a couple Middle School years back to back.  I guess 13 year old KP was drawn to umlauts.

Loved Crue.  When I got my first CD player I saw Too Fast For Love in the bargin bin, so that and a Dokken CD were the first ones I bought.  Gotta go with some upsidedown drumming Tommy Lee here...

21st(a):  Mötley Crüe - Wild Side (1987)

LINK

I was obsessed with this album in MS, and still is one of my favorites.  One of my first concerts was seeing them in Madison during the Empire tour.  Thankfully for me, since I didn't like Empire that much, that was when they played the full Mindcrime album.  They used their WI dates for the filming of the LIvecrime album and VHS.  Super cool for me, and I also got those and wore them out.  Love the solo on this song.  And no, that is not me in the black shirt in the crowd at the start.  I was a little farther back....

21st(b):  Queensrÿche - I Don't Believe in Love (1988)

LINK
Both great songs.  Lots of Crue belongs on every jukebox.  QR has been one of my favorite bands for almost 30 years but not sure that QR belongs on a jukebox.  I can never pick a favorite song from Mindcrime but I Don't Believe in Love is always considered.  Title track?  Needle Lies?  Eyes of a Stranger?  All of them.

I read such a sad article about Gil Scott-Heron. Apparently, the crack epidemic hit him hard. He used to walk around his apartment (which he rarely left) with a blowtorch in his hand, waiting for the next. Whitey On The Moon is so political, so funny. I can't imagine him cutting a track called "The Bottle." If I'm guessing right, the mighty fall, just like straight edge hardcore kids. I'll have to listen to this, but seeing the name makes me wistful and a bit sad.  

I read such a sad article about Gil Scott-Heron. Apparently, the crack epidemic hit him hard. He used to walk around his apartment (which he rarely left) with a blowtorch in his hand, waiting for the next. Whitey On The Moon is so political, so funny. I can't imagine him cutting a track called "The Bottle." If I'm guessing right, the mighty fall, just like straight edge hardcore kids. I'll have to listen to this, but seeing the name makes me wistful and a bit sad.  
None of this really surprises me.  I knew he had a drug problem but didn't know it was that bad.  He looked so haggard at the end.  "The Bottle" is a pretty good jazzy tune actually, but yeah it's about alcoholism.

21a - Dr. Dre - "Forgot About Dre (feat. Eminem)" (1999)

My favorite song off 2001 but doesn't get the attention that "Still D.R.E." and "The Next Episode" get.  Three fire verses in this one, two from Dre and one from Eminem.  

If it was up to me
You mother####ers would stop coming up to me
With your hands out looking up to me
Like you want something free
When my last CD was out you wasn't bumping me
But now that I got this little company
Everybody wanna come to me like it was some disease
But you won't get a crumb from me
Cause I'm from the streets of Compton
I told 'em all
All them little gangstas
Who you think helped mold 'em all?
Now you wanna run around and talk about guns
Like I ain't got none
What you think I sold 'em all?
Cause I stay well off?
Now all I get is hate mail all day sayin' Dre fell off
What, cause I been in the lab with a pen and a pad
Tryna get this damn label off
I ain't having that
This is the millennium of Aftermath
It ain't gonna be nothing after that
So give me one more platinum plaque and #### rap
You can have it back

Need clarification on a live track:

1. Album and single are released in 1957.
  2. 12 years later, 1969, artist releases a studio album, which features a handful of live tracks
  3. Live tracks were performed in year 1969 and released on that studio album in the same year 1969
Is the live version eligible to be drafted in 1969 spot?
similar question - song gets released at the end of a year as a single, then released on an album in the next year.  Unless someone vetoes it, I'm going to draft it in the year the album was released.

23.a     Squeeze, "Another Nail for My Heart" (1980)

A sentimental favorite for me as this frenzied offering from Squeeze fits an amazing amount of music into less than three minutes.  I love the atypical arrangement, with a terrifically melodic and well-constructed guitar solo following the first verse and chorus, less than a minute in.  The wry lyrics are terrific.  An underlooked little gem from a year that I thought I would have more to offer, but this is a very good one that I'll be proud to serve up to my patrons.   

23.b     Finger 11, "Paralyzer" (2007)

Hard-rocking but with an infectious melody, this song begins with a weird ethereal chord and a chest voice vocal "aaaah" that I swear is designed to evoke Yes' "Roundabout," but I'm probably ghosting that.  I like the funky bass line and the way it lurks below the surface for most of the song.  There seems to be some Nirvana influence in the vocal during the choruses, at least, and the lead singer gives a very raw, powerful performance throughout.  But the real highlight for me comes at 2:38 - an instrumental break with all parts tacet except the lead vocal and a guitar part straight out of Nile Rodgers' catalog.  This song proves that you don't have to avoid melody in order to rock out.  I wish there was more music like this out there now, only nine years later.  

22a - TV On The Radio - "DLZ" (2008)

I've referenced them as one of my favorite bands of all-time a few times in this thread, and the two songs that have been previously picked are both great.  I'm not sure this one is as danceable as lot of songs on my mix but the hipster PBR crowd at my bar will probably like it.

I was wondering how this song is so popular considering it was never released as a single yet appears to be their 3rd most played song on Spotify.  Turns out it was on an episode of Breaking Bad.  Who knew?  Never seen that show.  Blasphemy, I know.

23a - Search And Destroy - The Stooges - 1973 - Raw Power

23b - I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs - 2005 - Unemployment

No deep cuts, just two overground tracks I love. The Stooges album art is from their eponymous debut at the link. Don't know why, but it's the easiest one. Are we actually doing three rounds today?  

similar question - song gets released at the end of a year as a single, then released on an album in the next year.  Unless someone vetoes it, I'm going to draft it in the year the album was released.
Either year is acceptable

Still can't figure out to link YouTube from a mobile device. When I go to YouTube, even in Safari, it jumps to the app and I can't find a url to cut-and-paste.

Still can't figure out to link YouTube from a mobile device. When I go to YouTube, even in Safari, it jumps to the app and I can't find a url to cut-and-paste.
I think in the icon marked for sharing (on the iOS, it is a curved arrow pointing right) there is a way to copy the link.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread