What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DI Jukebox Draft (66-15)- Listen up (1 Viewer)

sorry, I'll add it back in.

I listened to yours yesterday afternoon at work and on my ride home.   Very nice selection of songs with two more downtempo, piano-based covers than I have. 

Train in Vain and Sheena came up back to back during my commute so I made it home about 30 seconds sooner because of that :thumbup:

I listened to yours yesterday afternoon at work and on my ride home.   Very nice selection of songs with two more downtempo, piano-based covers than I have. 

Train in Vain and Sheena came up back to back during my commute so I made it home about 30 seconds sooner because of that :thumbup:
Nice, always glad to hear that someone likes the mix other than myself. BTW, thanks for the work/effort on this Eephus.

BTW, thanks for putting Elvis on your jukebox.  I couldn't fit him into my mix but if I owned a bar, the King would definitely have a place of honor on the juke.  I'd also have a Fireball pinball machine (for me) and cider on tap (for Mrs eephus) but that's another draft.

Here's my Spotify link - apparently I drafted 51 songs, so I left Neil Young off, since he isn't on Spotify anyway. Can be played chronologically and will be grouped in genres if it is played that way, but also meant that anyone could go and pick a random song they loved - tried to span a bunch of genres with 5-7 songs from each.
Lots of really good mixes - love this one Zam.  

So, whats been going on in here? My general board activity has really crashed since they destroyed mobile use with the the downgrade. I miss you guy.

Did a dodo bird fly away with the Google Doc?

I stepped through all 122 pages of this thread and determined that I owe four picks (79, 82, 85 and 86). Also I discovered that i duplicated two years: 2003 Lucinda Williams' World without Tears, 1996 Los Straightjacket's Lonely Apache - so those two have to get tossed by rule.

Also, I thought the pre-1966 picks were in addition to the 1966-2015 FIFTY, but I now see that they are substitutes for the fifty. Rather than sift through crappy 79, 82, 85 and 86 music catalogs, I will get my final four picks in soon, picking from the pre-66 pool. Knowing what I know now, let's just pretend I went with the Sam Cooke original A Change is Gonna Come in lieu of my 2015 pick of a cover (begging for mulligan leniency in advance).

Here's my current list, which is four short:

Code:
1964	A Change is Gonna Come						Sam Cooke
1966	Meet Me in the City						Junior Kimbrough
1967	Dear Mr. Fantasy						Traffic
1968	Hurdy Gurdy Man							Donovan
1969	Lay Lady Lay							Bob Dylan
1970	Gasoline Alley							Rod Stewart
1971	Proud Mary							Ike and Tina Turner
1972	Doctor My Eyes							Jackson Browne
1973	Bennie and the Jets						Elton John
1974	Stardust							David Essex
1975	Land								Patty Smith
1976	Keep on Knockin'						Death
1977	All Kindsa Girls						The Real Kids
1978	What's so Funny about Peace, Love and Understanding		Elvis Costello
1980	New Year's Day							U2
1981	Summer of Fun							The Barracudas
1983	Wonderful Remark						Van Morrison
1984	Rattlesnakes							Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
1987	One Time One Night						Los Lobos
1988	If I Only Had Time						The Godfathers
1989	Half Past You							Love Battery
1990	Way Down Now							World Party
1991	Closer								Screaming Trees
1992	Damn, I Wish I was your Lover					Sophie B. Hawkins
1993	Dogs of Lust							The The
1994	Strange Conversation						Ted Hawkins
1995	Live Free							Son Volt
1996	Anenome								Brian Jonestown Massacre
1997	Flagpole Sitta							Harvey Danger
1998	Death Letter							Johnny Farmer
1999	There Are Some Days						Ray Wylie Hubbard
2000	Spinnin' On this Rock						Ramsay Midwood
2001	Life On  a Chain						Pete Yorn
2002	I Wish I was the Moon						Neko Case
2003	Bring It On							Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
2004	Winners and Losers						Social Distortion
2005	Come Into My Sleep						Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
2006	Searching for the Ghost						Heartless Bastards
2007	Words								Lucinda Williams
2008	A Ghost to Most							Drive-by Truckers
2009	Last Pale Light in the West					Ben Nichols
2010	Run For Your Life						Robert Randolph Band
2011	Brain Gallop							Stephen Malkmus
2012	I Found You							Alabama Shakes
2013	Change My Ways							The Headstones
2014	Broken Bones and Pocket Change					St. Paul and the Broken Bones
2015	See 1964

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I thought the pre-1966 picks were in addition to the 1966-2015 FIFTY, but I now see that they are substitutes for the fifty. Rather than sift through crappy 79, 82, 85 and 86 music catalogs, I will get my final four picks in soon, picking from the pre-66 pool. Knowing what I know now, let's just pretend I went with the Sam Cooke original A Change is Gonna Come in lieu of my 2015 pick of a cover (begging for mulligan leniency in advance).
Had it not been for the fact I turned 50 this year, I would have gone backwards in my jukebox. I decided to pick a song for every year in my life, but there were many years I would have loved to have picked a pre-66 song.

Had it not been for the fact I turned 50 this year, I would have gone backwards in my jukebox. I decided to pick a song for every year in my life, but there were many years I would have loved to have picked a pre-66 song.
Hey spring chicken, I turned fifty last year. You'd think 79-86 would be in my wheelhouse, but it just ain't so. I lived in the Philadelphia burbs back in the early 80s and was spoiled by the likes of WMMR , WYSP and and WIOQ. Not that they eschewed new music back in the day (Fabulous Poodles and Steve Forbert anyone?), but they emphasized a lot of music from late 60's and early 70s and made hit songs of the day seem pretty sucky.

Here's my Spotify link - apparently I drafted 51 songs, so I left Neil Young off, since he isn't on Spotify anyway. Can be played chronologically and will be grouped in genres if it is played that way, but also meant that anyone could go and pick a random song they loved - tried to span a bunch of genres with 5-7 songs from each.
For the front page...

I have a bunch to finish my draft, so here we go...

2003 - Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down
3 Doors Down will be performing at Universal Studios while we are there in is March.

Don't know much about them except for the 2 or 3 "hits" that they had.  Should we bother?

i have the google sheet open in a tab in my browser still, do i need to copy/paste it into a new one or something?
Thanks, but I think I'm good. I wanted to compare picks in the spreadsheet against my list above, but I'm gonna plow on and assume I captured everything correctly.

Nice, always glad to hear that someone likes the mix other than myself. BTW, thanks for the work/effort on this Eephus.
I listened to your mix over the last couple days and loved it.  A lot of tunes I knew and loved, but so fart this was the mix that had the most I had never heard of and really dug.  I ended up taking 4 that I had never heard of.  Made it a lot harder to decide on the others to put in the mix, but I am trying to cap out at 7 for each mix.  Songs I put on my megamix: 

Through My Fingers, Mad World, Whirring, Follow, Immune, Sundown, Don't Change

Like someone else posted, that Pegboy song was great.  Also completely new to me wat Whirring/Follow/Immune.  Those actually came up in a row on my shuffle and fell in love with all 3 as well.  Had to listen to those four songs a couple times again.  Like I said, it was really hard to decided with the last 3, so I just ended up pulling the ones that I thought would least likely pop up on my music rotation.  Great mix!

Looks like simey is up next - looks like there is less twang than usual ;)

Two mulligans - they just don't fit right:  Dropping 1969's Lay Lady Lay and 2010's Run for Your Life

1. Replacement 1969:  Monkey Man by the Rolling Stones
  2. Replacement 2010: TBD
Summary: 48 picks made, 2 to go

Recent adds:

1956: Be Bop a Lula by Gene Vincent

1958: Rumble by Link Wray

1960: Only the Lonely by Roy Orbison

1964: A Change is Gonna Come by Same Cooke

1969: Monkey Man by the Rolling Stones

Code:
1956 	Be Bop a LuLa							Gene Vincent	
1958	Rumble								Link Wray
1960	Only the Lonely							Roy Orbison
1964	A Change is Gonna Come						Sam Cooke
1966	Meet Me in the City						Junior Kimbrough
1967	Dear Mr. Fantasy						Traffic
1968	Hurdy Gurdy Man							Donovan
1969	***Monkey Man***						Rolling Stones
1970	Gasoline Alley							Rod Stewart
1971	Proud Mary							Ike and Tina Turner
1972	Doctor My Eyes							Jackson Browne
1973	Bennie and the Jets						Elton John
1974	Stardust							David Essex
1975	Land								Patty Smith
1976	Keep on Knockin'						Death
1977	All Kindsa Girls						The Real Kids
1978	What's so Funny about Peace, Love and Understanding		Elvis Costello
1979	SUB	
1980	New Year's Day							U2
1981	Summer of Fun							The Barracudas
1982	SUB	
1983	Wonderful Remark						Van Morrison
1984	Rattlesnakes							Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
1985	SUB	
1986	SUB	
1987	One Time One Night						Los Lobos
1988	If I Only Had Time						The Godfathers
1989	Half Past You							Love Battery
1990	Way Down Now							World Party
1991	Closer								Screaming Trees
1992	Damn, I Wish I was your Lover					Sophie B. Hawkins
1993	Dogs of Lust							The The
1994	Strange Conversation						Ted Hawkins
1995	Live Free							Son Volt
1996	Anenome								Brian Jonestown Massacre
1997	Flagpole Sitta							Harvey Danger
1998	Death Letter							Johnny Farmer
1999	There Are Some Days						Ray Wylie Hubbard
2000	Spinnin' On this Rock						Ramsay Midwood
2001	Life On  a Chain						Pete Yorn
2002	I Wish I was the Moon						Neko Case
2003	Bring It On							Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
2004	Winners and Losers						Social Distortion
2005	Come Into My Sleep						Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
2006	Searching for the Ghost						Heartless Bastards
2007	Words								Lucinda Williams
2008	A Ghost to Most							Drive-by Truckers
2009	Last Pale Light in the West					Ben Nichols
2010	***Mulligan***
2011	Brain Gallop							Stephen Malkmus
2012	I Found You							Alabama Shakes
2013	Change My Ways							The Headstones
2014	Broken Bones and Pocket Change					St. Paul and the Broken Bones
2015	SUB

KarmaPolice said:
I listened to your mix over the last couple days and loved it.  A lot of tunes I knew and loved, but so fart this was the mix that had the most I had never heard of and really dug.  I ended up taking 4 that I had never heard of.  Made it a lot harder to decide on the others to put in the mix, but I am trying to cap out at 7 for each mix.  Songs I put on my megamix: 

Through My Fingers, Mad World, Whirring, Follow, Immune, Sundown, Don't Change

Like someone else posted, that Pegboy song was great.  Also completely new to me wat Whirring/Follow/Immune.  Those actually came up in a row on my shuffle and fell in love with all 3 as well.  Had to listen to those four songs a couple times again.  Like I said, it was really hard to decided with the last 3, so I just ended up pulling the ones that I thought would least likely pop up on my music rotation.  Great mix!

Looks like simey is up next - looks like there is less twang than usual ;)
That's awesome. I didn't realize before I started looking at YouTube vid counts that Pegboy might not be very well known despite the song being released ~25 years ago. I found Pegboy randomly picking CDs out of the Indie section at the local music store. Whirring I heard as an intro to a sports talk radio show - took me forever to track down the actual song. Follow I stumbled across in an article about Matt and Kim. Immune I heard on the TV show Killjoys (which has introduced me to several new bands - whoever chooses the music for that show knows their ####.) 

Finished up Tasker's list tonight. Outside of  ~1988-1994 rap, hip-hop, and slow jams aren't really in my wheelhouse so his mix was filled with songs that I wasn't that familiar with. I am a big ska fan so all the reggae/ska songs were great. I have some Maytals but not Pressure Drop so that was added. Also, to my surprise, I have several Commodores songs but no Lionel Richie. Honestly, not sure how that happened since I have Prince and MJ as well. Between Tasker and Eephus I was hoping Johnny Gill would get his name called, unfortunately, that wasn't meant to be.

Next up: Doc Ock.    

Hov34 said:
3 Doors Down will be performing at Universal Studios while we are there in is March.

Don't know much about them except for the 2 or 3 "hits" that they had.  Should we bother?

Me neither, I was stretching for picks over this period, and this fit!

Finished up Tasker's list tonight. Outside of  ~1988-1994 rap, hip-hop, and slow jams aren't really in my wheelhouse so his mix was filled with songs that I wasn't that familiar with. I am a big ska fan so all the reggae/ska songs were great. I have some Maytals but not Pressure Drop so that was added. Also, to my surprise, I have several Commodores songs but no Lionel Richie. Honestly, not sure how that happened since I have Prince and MJ as well. Between Tasker and Eephus I was hoping Johnny Gill would get his name called, unfortunately, that wasn't meant to be.

Next up: Doc Ock.    
:thumbup: "Pressure Drop" is one of my all-time favorites.  I feel like Marley is still such a dominant force in reggae that Toots and the Maytals are criminally underrated.

ETA - thanks for listening, even if it's not in your wheelhouse, per se.  Hope you found some stuff you liked.

Do you still have the link to the spreadsheet as well? It looks like we are missing ~1/2 of the playlists.

:thumbup: "Pressure Drop" is one of my all-time favorites.  I feel like Marley is still such a dominant force in reggae that Toots and the Maytals are criminally underrated.

ETA - thanks for listening, even if it's not in your wheelhouse, per se.  Hope you found some stuff you liked.
I feel that way about Jimmy Cliff too. Even though Cliff has a much wider audience than the Maytals it isn't anywhere close to Marley. You should check out Hepcat if you aren't already familiar with them. Great band (saw them live in 1992/1993). I couldn't choose them over Mazzy Star in this draft but they will definitely be making an appearance at some point. They were one of the few 3rd Wave ska bands that had more of a early ska/reggae feel.

Been slowly working through NV's mix.  Really enjoyable so far.  Lots of girl group classics early on and a heavy dose of some of my new wave favorites.  Two bands I'm not really familiar with that I really enjoyed and will have to check out are Strange Advance and Teenage Fanclub.  Everything after the mid-90s on this mix (where I am now) is stuff I'm familiar with except for Dear Rouge, so not much there for me to "discover"...but I'm still looking forward to listening.

I'm not sure there's a band more frustrating for putting out letdown albums with all the potential in the world than Interpol.  How are they not a giant massive crossover mainstream rock act like, say, Silversun Pickups?  Antics and Turn on the Bright Lights are so good.  

I think the answer we all want to know, though, is how are things on the west coast?

Man, 2008-2015 on NV's list is right in my wheelhouse.

A coworker, early 30s, guy, just walked into my office as I was totally lip-synching HAIM's "Forever" with my headphones on.  Whoops.

Definitely going to check out Dear Rouge....I really liked that song.

6 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I don't really care and it's all subjective, but are these honestly not the same song?

Similar, but you could probably say that about a lot of moody, sensitive pop songs that come out these days. Nick Drake they're not.

All that said, I've always had a soft spot for "If You're Gone" - Rob Thomas is a helluva singer.

Users who are viewing this thread