What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2017 Draft Prospects (2 Viewers)

Faust

MVP
The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the 2016 draft has come and gone, so we now know who the seniors are for the 2017 NFL Draft. We can also speculate on which draft eligible players will declare, and the class of 2017 appears to have a number of very appealing prospects for fantasy drafts.

Directory of player threads:

Dynasty: QB Deshaun Watson, Clemson

Dynasty: QB Chad Kelly, Ole Miss

Dynasty: QB Brad Kaaya, Miami

Dynasty: QB Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina

Dynasty: QB DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame

Dynasty: QB Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

Official Leonard Fournette - LSU RB Dynasty

Official Samaje Perine - OU stud RB (Dynasty)

Official Christian McCaffrey Thread

Dynasty: RB Dalvin Cook, Florida State

Official Joe Mixon - Oklahoma RB - Dynasty & Redraft

Chris Carson - RB - OK St.

Dynasty Watch 2017 Rookie & Former Pitt RB James Conner

Dynasty Kareem Hunt

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Alvin Kamara, Tennessee

The 1.01: Cook or Fournette

RB/WR Curtis Samuel

E.Washington WR Cooper Kupp

Dynasty: WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, USC

Dynasty: WR Mike Williams, Clemson

KD Cannon, this years Will Fuller?

Dynasty: WR Corey Davis, Western Michigan

Official Zay Jones 2017 Outlook

[Dynasty] Northern Illinoise WR Kenny Golladay

Dynasty: Carlos Henderson, WR, LA Tech

Dynasty: WR John Ross, Washington

O. J Howard TE Alabama

Dynasty: TE Jake Butt, Michigan

Dynasty: TE David Njoku, University of Miami

Dynasty: TE Gerald Everett

Dynasty: TE Evan Engram, Ole Miss

2017 Rookie TE Edition

Myles Garrett, Texas A&M Defensive End

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts on some RB's: (drafted a bunch of these guys recently, due to these thoughts)

Hurd underrated. Cook is right up there with Fournette imo, with the tie-breaker being Fournette's prototypical size.

Christian McCaffrey is for real and he will translate to the NFL perfectly. Future PPR star.

Watch out for Scarbrough this year in Alabama, he's going to come roaring onto the scene and justify all the recruiting hype. He's the DGB of RB's imo, in terms of 5* beast recruits that fall off the map in one way or another for a bit, living off of their names, and then flash that talent again and get drafted relatively highly. Except Scarbrough has the chance to really put up some big numbers.

Cook is right up there with Fournette imo, with the tie-breaker being Fournette's prototypical size.
I like Chubb better than both by quite a bit. Just a matter of him getting healthy and staying healthy.

I have the 1.01 pick in a dev league where everyone is available. Draft is a long way off and I haven't made up my mind yet, but I will probably pick between JuJu and Chubb.

This looks to be a really deep RB class. Chubb, Fournette, Freeman, Cook, McCaffrey, Perine, Mixon, and Hood. That is a lot of NFL talent for one RB class. The best I can remember in a while.

Add in the fact that JuJu appears to be > Coleman or Treadwell, and 2016 is a year where I'll strongly consider shipping my rookie picks for the next year's firsts.

Cook is right up there with Fournette imo, with the tie-breaker being Fournette's prototypical size.
I like Chubb better than both by quite a bit. Just a matter of him getting healthy and staying healthy.

I have the 1.01 pick in a dev league where everyone is available. Draft is a long way off and I haven't made up my mind yet, but I will probably pick between JuJu and Chubb.

This looks to be a really deep RB class. Chubb, Fournette, Freeman, Cook, McCaffrey, Perine, Mixon, and Hood. That is a lot of NFL talent for one RB class. The best I can remember in a while.

Add in the fact that JuJu appears to be > Coleman or Treadwell, and 2016 is a year where I'll strongly consider shipping my rookie picks for the next year's firsts.
I'm not even going to spend much time talking about Chubb due to the injury. He's ahead of everyone if healthy...but that was a nasty injury and I haven't seen a ton about it, other than the fact that people aren't arranging a funeral for his career like they did for Lattimore early on.

Can't imagine taking him over guys almost as good when his leg bent like that, not until we know more about it.

Can't imagine taking him over guys almost as good when his leg bent like that, not until we know more about it.
Well, we may know more by August, which is when my draft is.

I think it comes down to whether or not you think Fournette/etc are close. While there are a lot of good backs in this draft and I'm sure this group will yield more than 1-2 good NFL starters, Chubb is the only one who obviously appears to be the total package. Fournette doesn't have his agility, Cook doesn't have his size/power, and Freeman doesn't have his speed. McCaffrey is his own animal, but purely as a runner Chubb looks better to me and is a more straightforward projection to the NFL (pretty much no weaknesses in his game - 225 pound back with speed, agility, quicks, and hands). Perine and Hood may be a little underrated, but I prefer Chubb to either.

While stats definitely aren't everything, consider what these players did last year:

Chubb - 8.1 YPC / 8.7% long run %

Cook - 7.4 YPC / 9.7%

Hood - 6.7 YPC / 7.3%

Fournette - 6.5 YPC / 6.0%

Freeman - 6.5 YPC / 5.3%

McCaffrey - 6.0 YPC / 5.6%

Perine - 6.0 YPC / 6.2%

Chubb had the smallest sample size, but was probably the most impressive performer overall. In 2014 he did 7.1 YPC with 8.2% long runs on high volume, so this is just a continuation of the player he has proven to be. I think there's a legitimate case that he has been a better back at Georgia than Gurley, and when you consider how FF folks view Gurley right now, well...is that a player you can pass on? For anyone? Given that he's like ~230 pounds and ran ~10.6 in the 100m in HS, you know this isn't just a Ron Dayne or Montee Ball who overachieved against crappy college defenses. The guy is a beast among beasts. Could not be stopped by anyone in the SEC at any point in his career so far.

I'm a little leery of the notion that Fournette might be a presumptive #1 pick in this class. Some tea leaves indicate that he's a little bit overrated. Were it not for his high school reputation as the #1 player in the country and his blistering start to 2015, I don't know that the talk would be as strong. Don't get me wrong, he's very good and will probably be a strong NFL player as well, but he was a mere mortal in the second half of the season. A guy like Hood offers basically the same package on paper with a plus size/speed combo and excellent production in a major conference.

Overall, it's just a loaded class, which actually makes the 1.01 a really tough spot. Normally you would take a player like Fournette and feel good about it, but this year there are arguably 5-6 guys who could be the 1.01 in a weaker class, so it's hard to feel like you're maximizing the value of that pick, regardless of who you take. Fournette is the obvious pick based on hype. JuJu is the best pick based on the draft's composition since he's the only obvious elite WR whereas there are many outstanding RBs this year. Chubb might be the best overall talent. And yet a guy like Hood outside the top few picks could end up being better than them all.

Rotoworld:

Arkansas junior TE Jeremy Sprinkle, who will step into Hunter Henry's role next year, "should be able to equal or surpass Henry's production level as long as a solid percentage of Henry's targets are redirected to Sprinkle in 2016," believes ESPN's KC Joyner.

Henry led all FBS tight ends with 647 receiving yards. Sprinkle, meanwhile, was a stud in the shadows, ranking No. 12 in tight end receiving yards (389) and T-No. 4 in tight end receiving touchdowns (six). That despite playing second fiddle to Henry, a possible first-rounder. Sprinkle is a tight end prospect to keep an eye on in the fall.
Source: ESPN Insider
Feb 2 - 2:37 PM

He might be a 2018 prospect if he stays for his senior season but take a look at Nick Stevens the QB from Colorado St. I've haven't watched anything directly on him but I've been watching Rashard Higgins and this Stevens guy makes some decent passes. I will try to update later.

Some "big" WRs I'm high on:

Jordan Villamin 6-5 230

Allen Lazard 6-5 215

Simmie Cobbs 6-4 215

Rotoworld:

James Conner - RB - Panthers

Pittsburgh HC Pat Narduzzi indicated that he believes that junior RB James Conner (Hodgkin lymphoma) will be able to play in 2016.

Said Narduzzi, "I saw [Conner] yesterday in the hallway and he's been working out with our kids to keep his sanity and he's having fun doing it." He added that the 6-foot-2, 250-pound junior is "doing well and looks well." Conner's 2015 was about as rough as they come, as he suffered a torn MCL in September and it subsequently became public knowledge in December that he had been diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma. Expect more updates on his health and potential to play during the coming season as we hit spring practice.

Source: Jared Shanker on Twitter

Feb 5 - 12:36 PM

Almost drafted Conner near the end of a devy draft recently. Went with Ronald Jones II instead, but it was close.

Cal graduate RB Jeffrey Coprich transferred to East Carolina.
Coprich will be able to suit up with the Pirates immediately and has two years of eligibility remaining to his name. The 5-foot-8, 174-pounder missed the 2014 season after breaking a bone in his foot, but in his two healthy seasons with Cal, received 54 carries for 205 yards (3.8 YPC) and two touchdowns. Scout ranked him as a three-star prospect out of high school.

Source: Stephen Igoe on Twitter

"Christian McCaffrey is for real and he will translate to the NFL perfectly. Future PPR star."

its not not a lie if you believe it.

I'm not sure what to make of McCaffrey from watching game clips.  He obviously racks up yards and has very good speed.  What I don't see a lot of is lateral moves and quick juke type ability.  I see a lot of well designed plays that are blocked well and McCaffrey seems to excel at setting up and reading his blocks and hitting the right holes.  He has speed too, but I didn't see much of him stopping on a dime and laterally changing directions like what I see from elite RBs.  I want this kid to be a stud and he's still very young.  If he puts up huge stats again, I guess you kind of have to trust that production.  I'm not a big follower of college ball.  Does Stanford have a great O-line?  Is their offense unique or gimmicky?

Clemson senior CB Cordrea Tankersly indicated that he views senior WR Mike Williams as a larger version of Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr.
"[Williams] has the size, the speed. Some of these receivers you see in the NFL," Tankersly said, "like Odell Beckham, he's not half the size of Mike Williams, and he's making all these plays. Mike, he's just that caliber, that NFL prototype." Last season, the 6-foot-5, 205-pounder fractured a bone his neck after running into the goalpost while catching a touchdown in the team's season-opening win against Wofford. He has been cleared for football drills and activity this spring, though, much to the team's relief. "You hurt your neck, you probably wouldn't be able to walk again, so I was pretty scared when it first happened. But after talking to the doctors, I gained more confidence in the plan. I always knew I was going to play again," Williams said. He should immediately step in as the team's No. 1 wideout in 2016 if his health holds steady.

Source: ESPN.com 
Mar 29 - 5:45 PM

Clemson senior CB Cordrea Tankersly indicated that he views senior WR Mike Williams as a larger version of Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr.
"[Williams] has the size, the speed. Some of these receivers you see in the NFL," Tankersly said, "like Odell Beckham, he's not half the size of Mike Williams, and he's making all these plays. Mike, he's just that caliber, that NFL prototype." Last season, the 6-foot-5, 205-pounder fractured a bone his neck after running into the goalpost while catching a touchdown in the team's season-opening win against Wofford. He has been cleared for football drills and activity this spring, though, much to the team's relief. "You hurt your neck, you probably wouldn't be able to walk again, so I was pretty scared when it first happened. But after talking to the doctors, I gained more confidence in the plan. I always knew I was going to play again," Williams said. He should immediately step in as the team's No. 1 wideout in 2016 if his health holds steady.

Mar 29 - 5:45 PM
Mike is 6-5?

steelers1080 said:
Zeke would probably be RB4 and Tread and Doctson look like WR 3 and 5 to me (but I'd put Coleman at 4 ahead of Doctson).
How would your rankings look w the both the '16 and '17 classes combined? I'm just getting into a devy league and am trying to do some homework. 

Does anyone have any good info for someone just getting into devy? 

So lot of people talking about how the 2017 draft will be really good for fantasy purposes. 

In one league I am in I already have three 2017 1sts.  My team is currently a top 2 team and mostly young.  I have picks 2,3,4,9. 

I was contemplating trading 2-3 of those picks for just 2017 1sts, probably 4 or 5 of them in total to give myself around 7 or 8 first rounders next year with a legit shot at a couple top 3 picks. 

So if you have a really good team heading into this year along with some high picks, how strongly would you look into dealing most of those picks for 2017 1sts?

Examples of possible trades:

Pick 2...........for two 2017 1sts, both of which could be high.

pick 3............for two 2017 1sts, both middle of pack, decent chance one is a top 4 pick. 

pick 9........for a 2017 1st, middle of road

Maybe keep pick 4 and draft someone, or trade the pick for a veteran for now.

So lot of people talking about how the 2017 draft will be really good for fantasy purposes. 

In one league I am in I already have three 2017 1sts.  My team is currently a top 2 team and mostly young.  I have picks 2,3,4,9. 

I was contemplating trading 2-3 of those picks for just 2017 1sts, probably 4 or 5 of them in total to give myself around 7 or 8 first rounders next year with a legit shot at a couple top 3 picks. 

So if you have a really good team heading into this year along with some high picks, how strongly would you look into dealing most of those picks for 2017 1sts?

Examples of possible trades:

Pick 2...........for two 2017 1sts, both of which could be high.

pick 3............for two 2017 1sts, both middle of pack, decent chance one is a top 4 pick. 

pick 9........for a 2017 1st, middle of road

Maybe keep pick 4 and draft someone, or trade the pick for a veteran for now.
I find it difficult to believe that you are going to find very many takers in the FFPC format. Not saying it is impossible, just very difficult to believe. GL

Chubb, if healthy, is better than Zeke for sure. Chubb is the best back to come along in a while.

Fournette vs. Elliott is closer for me. Fournette is faster. I think Zeke is more agile.

I'd take JuJu over Treadwell and Docston.
I have the 1.01/1.02/1.08/1.09(and others) in a rookie/devy, superflex, startup. Who would you draft in my shoes? If it sways any of you one way or another, I punted this year and basically have Luck, a bunch or rookie/devy picks, and 4 '17 1st's. Also, thoughts on taking Corey Davis with 1.02? Should I trade back? I've watched some of his tape and like what I see. I'm new to devy and would appreciate yours or others opinions. Thanks. 

Also, there's no way we can take Chubb 1.01 or 1.02 after that injury, right? 

I have the 1.01 devy in one league and the three guys I'm looking at are Fournette, JuJu, and Chubb. If I had two picks like you do, I would grab JuJu with one of them and then use the other on a RB. JuJu seems like the safe pick and he's also the more rare commodity in a sense because this 2017 draft is pretty strong at RB whereas the WR ranks look a little bit thinner.

Chubb's injury was nasty and that's a concern, but on the other hand he's the best back available based on peak talent level. Fournette gets the hype, but when you really look at the stats, they strongly indicate that Chubb is better. I won't go into too much detail with that stuff because I don't want to spend the time calculating all of it. Basically though, Chubb's YPC has always been a lot higher throughout their college careers and he has also shown a greater tendency to break long runs. Apart from that, Chubb just looks better to me. He's more fluid and agile with his lateral movement than Fournette, who's more of just a straight line sprinter with size. There's little doubt in my mind that a 100% Chubb is > a 100% Fournette. Will he get healthy and stay healthy though? That's the big question.

Some people will cite Lattimore's name as a cautionary tale. Well, Lattimore was never as talented as Chubb in the first place. You could just as easily point to Gurley and McGahee for reasons why you shouldn't let the injury scare you off too much. If he comes back at 100% as a rookie, you will regret not taking him. That being said, he's a RB and his style seems to expose him to lower body injuries, so you just never know how it will play out. He could go down as one of those "what if?" cases where it doesn't quite work out for him.

Chubb's injury was nasty and that's a concern, but on the other hand he's the best back available based on peak talent level. Fournette gets the hype, but when you really look at the stats, they strongly indicate that Chubb is better. I won't go into too much detail with that stuff because I don't want to spend the time calculating all of it. Basically though, Chubb's YPC has always been a lot higher throughout their college careers and he has also shown a greater tendency to break long runs. Apart from that, Chubb just looks better to me. He's more fluid and agile with his lateral movement than Fournette, who's more of just a straight line sprinter with size. There's little doubt in my mind that a 100% Chubb is > a 100% Fournette. Will he get healthy and stay healthy though? That's the big question.
The bold is interesting to me, as I've noticed the same traits (less than elite movement/flexibility) and questioned how his game will translate to the NFL. Are we sure he's a top tier rb prospect at the pro level?

I like Chubb and Cook more. idk why but when i see Fournette run, i see a slightly better legarette blount

Thanks for the answers. I'm leaning towards taking Zeke and Juju with the first two picks. 

Have any of you seen or can predict where Corey Davis would go in a rookie/devy startup draft? Do you guys think he'll be there for me at 1.08? 

The bold is interesting to me, as I've noticed the same traits (less than elite movement/flexibility) and questioned how his game will translate to the NFL. Are we sure he's a top tier rb prospect at the pro level?
Yes, we are sure.

Thanks for the answers. I'm leaning towards taking Zeke and Juju with the first two picks. 

Have any of you seen or can predict where Corey Davis would go in a rookie/devy startup draft? Do you guys think he'll be there for me at 1.08? 
Take Fournette and Elliot, then grab either Mike Williams or Calvin Ridley with your pick at 8.

So I've got the 1, 4, 9, 11, 12 and 14 picks in this draft.  I started acquiring them 2 years ago thinking I'd go in hot and heavy this year - only to discover it's a bit below average.  Trying to turn all but the 1 into 2017 picks, with very little interest.  I'm this close to offering the 4 straight up for the 2017 1st round pick of this past year's last place team.  I see that pick being top 4 again, with a pretty decent shot in the top 2.  Part of my trepidation, though, is if the 4 becomes more valuable after the NFL draft.  Say Henry ends up in Dallas, and both Doctson and Tread end up in very good situations.  I'd be giving up something now, for a pretty good shot at something decent a year from now. 

Also, been trying to move the 9 and/or 11 for any 2017 1st, with no interest at all (yet).  Maybe when it's on the clock folks will feel different.

Tech HC Kliff Kingsbury called junior QB Patrick Mahomes "the best I've ever been around."
"[Mahomes] can extend plays as well as I've ever seen. And his accuracy when plays break down, as far as a thrower, moving around, throwing from different angles ... Pat's the best I've ever been around," Kingsbury said. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound junior threw for 4,653 yards with a stellar 36/15 TD/INT ratio in 2015, though Texas Tech finished the season with a lackluster 7-6 record. Mahomes doesn't want to see that again. He has his sights set much, much higher. Said the gunslinger, "I want to bring a Big 12 championship to Tech. At Tech, a lot of quarterbacks have put up stats and had great careers. But none of them took Tech to the next level with a Big 12 championship." He went on to say that it would be an "awesome thing" if he could secure that Big 12 title.

Apr 11 - 10:26 PM

Was watching Sterling Shepard and this guy just kept making plays. Samaje Perine. 

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209396602
He's a fun guy to watch (especially some of the game tape from his record breaking game two years back). He conceded some touches to Joe Mixon last season, so his stats weren't as flashy as his true freshman season, but the two of them made for one of the better tandem duos in the league last year. I'm real interested to see how he does this season.

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/hLfarQLTCiI-O1yzMcOhRXcmrus=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2482444/perine2.0.gif

(a link to his record breaking carry, where he makes the Kansas D look even more silly than usual)

Users who are viewing this thread