Faust

[Dynasty] 2017 Draft Prospects

2,863 posts in this topic

In his latest mock draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. lands East Carolina WR Isaiah Jones with the Chiefs at No. 27.

Mock drafts in mid-February only have so much predictive value, but Kiper's offers a few twists. For starters, he does not have Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer being drafted in the first round. And then there's Zay, who he has as the third receiver taken in Round 1. Wrote the analyst, "He slipped a little under the radar at East Carolina but has the size, speed and hands needed, and he put on a show against good competition at the Senior Bowl." The 6-foot-1, 197-pound Hoover-of-a-wideout logged a masterful 158-1746-8 receiving line this past season.

Source: ESPN Insider 
Feb 16 - 6:41 PM

Rotoworld's Josh Norris believes Western Kentucky WR Taywan Taylor is the No. 4 prospect in this class at his position.

Norris put those who rank Taywan outside of the top 15 at the position (hint: that is nearly everyone) on blast during last week's podcast, but he expects more to jump on the train after the NFL Combine. The top three receivers will be very similar for most evaluators, a combination of Corey Davis, Mike Williams and John Ross, but Norris views Taylor and Carlos Henderson as prospects No. 4 and 5.

Source: Josh Norris on Twitter

Tennessee's Alvin Kamara will not be listed as a top five RB prospect in Matt Waldman's final ranking.

In fact, Waldman says it is unlikely that Kamara will be in the top 10 and possibly not in the top 15 or 20. "I like Kamara. He’s a dynamic space player who can do some good work between the tackles," Waldman explained, but added poor decision making and troublesome ball security are significantly holding him back. Recently Kamara has been mentioned as a possible first round selection.

1 person likes this

According to NFL Films producer Greg Cosell, Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes lacks "any refinement and polish at the position right now."

Just by following Cosell's work for the last handful of years, we feel Mahomes is the opposite of a Cosell-type quarterback. The evaluator prefers big, strong armed passers who are confined to the pocket. Mahomes can work inside of a structure, but he thrives outside of it and on broken plays. There is some buzz of Mahomes being the first quarterback off the board. He is a completely unique talent, and the NFL has a difficult job processing that. As they should.

Source: Mid Day 180

I've watched Kamara more too and I'm going to let others draft him. He caught a lot of screens and short passes that pads his numbers a bit and he does nothing well. He won't hurt a team but he doesn't add anything special.

I pass!

Tex

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:40 PM, TheBottomLine said:

Zeke isn't too bad either.

Melvin Gordon had a break out year too. he is still risky though.

And Barkley is waiting in the wings...

BIG10 RBs are just fine. as are USC wrs

I refuse to look at prospects this way, but USC WRs have had a terrible run I'll admit.

2 people like this

On February 16, 2017 at 8:32 PM, Faust said:

On February 17, 2017 at 11:54 AM, BigTex said:

I've watched Kamara more too and I'm going to let others draft him. He caught a lot of screens and short passes that pads his numbers a bit and he does nothing well. He won't hurt a team but he doesn't add anything special.

I pass!

Tex

Reconsider.

4 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

USC wrs (are just fine).

I'd kinda like to see one work out before I subscribe to that theory.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, petekrum said:

Reconsider.

?

6 minutes ago, BigTex said:

?

He likes Kamara and disagrees with your take, obviously. 

For the record, I'm with you on Kamara.

17 minutes ago, spider321 said:

I've been dubious about not only USC WR's but Pac 10 WR's in general translating their stats to the NFL. I mean as near as I can recall the best fantasy WR to come out the Pac 10 in last 5-10 years is Baldwin and he did not even get drafted. Cooks has done second most, followed by Allen and then I'm thinking off top of my head Marvin Jones is next. Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but that's not impressive and what's more only one got selected in top 2 rounds.

But here is the problem I see with not liking a WR from USC or say a RB from Alabama. If you are a WR or RB for one of those teams it means you were likely a heavily recruited blue chip prospect, maybe one of most sought after players at your position. It's not like you are some lightly recruited scrub who just happened to find success in a great system. I find it hard to put any confidence in a philosophy which would basically be saying that despite this player being a blue chip recruit that because he went to one of those schools he's less suited for the NFL then had he gone to a school with more success at the pro level at that position.

I think what it does is just make you take a second look and for me try and not get wrapped up in the stats as much with these players but I can't dismiss them because of where they chose to go to college. So I'm saying yes I'd be more impressed with John Ross or JuJuo on a stat level  if they did it in the SEC, but does mean I'm writing them off either.

But while on topic of SEC. I'm a big SEC believer, when you perform well against them, especially some of these LSU and Alabama and last year Florida defenses that are filled with NFL talent it does mean more to me and it does influence me. And for most part the SEC WR's have been excellent. But I'm someone who did have a Big10 RB bias to some degree but the reality is the Big 10 RB's seem to be by and large doing better than the SEC RB's.

13 minutes ago, menobrown said:

I've been dubious about not only USC WR's but Pac 10 WR's in general translating their stats to the NFL. I mean as near as I can recall the best fantasy WR to come out the Pac 10 in last 5-10 years is Baldwin and he did not even get drafted. Cooks has done second most, followed by Allen and then I'm thinking off top of my head Marvin Jones is next. Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but that's not impressive and what's more only one got selected in top 2 rounds.

DeSean Jackson.

24 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

DeSean Jackson.

yep forgot about him but does not exactly change the outlook for me either.

4 hours ago, spider321 said:

going back aways but Keyshawn and Lynn Swann?

things change fast in the NFL...much like the BIG10 RB argument, things change over time...I cant really recall anyone from USC with giant hype....

2 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

going back aways but Keyshawn and Lynn Swann?

things change fast in the NFL...much like the BIG10 RB argument, things change over time...I cant really recall anyone from USC with giant hype....

Mike Williams - one of the biggest busts ever.  The #10 overall pick in 2005 draft (Matt Millen special). 

To a lesser extent Marquise Lee, a 2nd round pick in 2014...after 2 mediocre seasons looked a little better this year. 

Also, Nelson Agholar, a #1 pick (20 overall and a Chip Kelly special in 2015) has been very disappointing

Robert Woods, a 2nd-round pick in 2013 has also been disappointing.

Edited by garlicduck
edit

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He likes Kamara and disagrees with your take, obviously. 

For the record, I'm with you on Kamara.

He's a JAG! I don't see were the hype is coming from. Thought I made a mistake and I went back to the drawing board and NOPE is not that good! He run through holes so big that the first people who touch him are the ones who catches him from behind. His long speed sucks not sure why so many are fooled by him.

Tex

Edited by BigTex
1 person likes this

I think we are missing the boat on ArDarius. I got a chance to go back and look at him, he's somewhere in the top 10 possibly to 5 WR. I can see his ADP rise after the draft and combine, I'd have no problem grabbing him at the end of the 1st to early 2nd.

Tex

Was talking about Kamara as a sleeper a year+ ago. https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/726357-dynasty-2016-draft-prospects/?page=16#comment-18340261

Seems like he might have flipped from underrated to overrated though.

He is good, but straight-liney. In the NFL, I think the ability to cut is stressed pretty heavily. Maybe the right system can turn Kamara into a DeMarco Murray type, but overall I wouldn't put him in the same class as somebody like Mixon from a talent standpoint.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, garlicduck said:

Mike Williams - one of the biggest busts ever.  The #10 overall pick in 2005 draft (Matt Millen special). 

To a lesser extent Marquise Lee, a 2nd round pick in 2014...after 2 mediocre seasons looked a little better this year. 

Also, Nelson Agholar, a #1 pick (20 overall and a Chip Kelly special in 2015) has been very disappointing

Robert Woods, a 2nd-round pick in 2013 has also been disappointing.

Maybe these guys just were not good. Mike williams sat out a year and millen over spent. 

I think lee showed flashes this past year.

Woods is a complementary player. Better nfl player than ffl player

Williams could have been great but he was lazy and just wanted $. He came back after his $ ran out and performed well in SEA but of course got lazy again and was gone.

That's where you have to dig into a guys attitude. Williams was able to fool the Lions. Some guys want it bad, others don't. Some guys think they can just skate by and keep getting paid.

3 guys that appear to be hard workers and Corey Davis, Taywan Taylor and Zay Jones. Also maybe John Ross.

It's harder to determine if a guy is lazy. It usually isn't exposed until after the draft mistake is made. I read where KD Cannon doesn't run full speed every play if it isn't going to him but I also read that the coach wants that so that when the play is called for him, he is fresh.

Yeah Baylor WRs are coached to do that...at least they were under Briles.

ESPN's Todd McShay tweeted the more he watches Pitt QB Nathan Peterman, the more he likes.

"Full field read. Fast eyes. Ball is out on time and perfect placement," McShay wrote with a video of a play from a clean pocket on an inside breaking route with good timing with a throw over top of a linebacker in coverage. Peterman is loved by a number of media evaluators, namely Lance Zierlein, and some have suggested a second round pick could be in his future.

One NFC Scouting Director told NFL.com's Lance Zierlein that Texas RB D'Onta Foreman's pass protection skills are "awful."

"Our coaches won't put him out there if they think he'll get the quarterback killed," the NFL personnel man said. There will be some disagreement with this statement, as Pro Football Focus charted Foreman with zero sacks in pass protection at some point this season. The truth is somewhere in the middle, and Texas' offensive style plays a big part. Many pass were off play action and were quick throws, either outside breaking routes versus off coverage or downfield shots. Foreman's pass pro reps do not tranlsate easily to many NFL offensee.

Source: NFL.com 
Feb 20 - 11:14 AM

The MMQB's Peter King writes it "looks like (UNC QB Mitch) Trubisky or (Notre Dame QB Deshone) Kizer to me" for the Chicago Bears at pick No. 3.

King, however, offers another possibility in Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes in the second round or a possible trade back into the first round. It is interesting that no veteran was attached to the Bears by King, saying the team needs to "start over" at the position.

Source: The MMQB 
Feb 20 - 9:22 AM

The Cowboys will likely select a defensive player at pick No. 28, but beat writer Vince Langford suggests WR is also a possibility.

Again, Langford believes the odds heavily favor the Cowboys selecting a defensive player "unless ... they see (John) Ross or (Zay) Jones as a singular talent and the edge rushers or DBs they truly like are gone before 28." The two players are quite different. Ross is a shorter speed receiver who plays off a vertical route and can break off routes to create separation. Jones plays mostly out of the slot and is better in the short to intermediate area.

Source: Star Telegram