What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2017 Draft Prospects (2 Viewers)

I already have Mike Williams plus two extra taxi picks. With Fournette and Chubb already gone I plan to grab Cook and JuJu as my first choices and I still feel like I don't have enough picks for 2017.

I guess I'm just a selfish, greedy dynasty owner.

Tex

Clemson WR Mike Williams could play today if it was football season, head coach Dabo Swinney said.
Williams suffered a neck injury in the season opener last year and underwent an operation that sidelined him for the entire season. On the field, Williams is an outstanding prospect and would have been one of the top receivers in the 2016 class. It truly is amazing how far Clemson made it last year without their top receiver. We are excited to see Williams step foot on the field in 2016.

Source: Bruce Feldman on Twitter 
Apr 20 - 10:57 AM

My early rankings.

RBs
1a.Chubb
1b.Cook

3.Scarbrough
4.Freeman
5.Ballage
6.Mixon
7.Fournette
8.Hood
9.Perine

10.Michel
11.McCaffrey
12.Conner
13.Hurd
14.Gallman

WRs
1a.Smith-Schuster
1b.M. Williams

3.C. Davis
4.Villamin
5.Sutton
6.Dural
7.J. Washington

8.Cobbs
9.Lazard
10. Dupre
11.Chesson

He did some amazing things last year and his versatility will serve him well, but college star does not necessarily = great pro prospect. 

The way I see next year's RB class right now is similar to Xue's list, but different in some ways. I agree with him that Fournette is not as good as billed, though I'm slightly higher on him. I think there's one lock elite prospect (Chubb) and then a big bucket of "good" prospects whose upside varies (Fournette, Hood, Cook, Perine, Mixon, Freeman). I'd put McCaffrey in that group. All of those guys have top 100 potential and some of them may even have a first round ceiling, but I wouldn't trade a huge bounty for them in dynasty. 

I'm generally less excited about next year's WR class compared with the backs, but I also view JuJu as an elite lock prospect. There are lots of players I like in next year's class, but he and Chubb are really the only ones that I view as can't-miss talents. Given that JuJu is the only one of the two with a clean bill of health, well...that's why he's likely going to be my #1 devy pick when I draft in August. 

My early rankings.

RBs
1a.Chubb
1b.Cook

3.Scarbrough
4.Freeman
5.Ballage
6.Mixon
7.Fournette
8.Hood
9.Perine

10.Michel
11.McCaffrey
12.Conner
13.Hurd
14.Gallman

WRs
1a.Smith-Schuster
1b.M. Williams

3.C. Davis
4.Villamin
5.Sutton
6.Dural
7.J. Washington

8.Cobbs
9.Lazard
10. Dupre
11.Chesson
Fournette as your 7th RB is ludicrous.

Calvin Ridley...He going to be draft-eligible after this season, or was he just a true freshman last year? Seems like he could be the next great Bama WR.

He did some amazing things last year and his versatility will serve him well, but college star does not necessarily = great pro prospect. 

The way I see next year's RB class right now is similar to Xue's list, but different in some ways. I agree with him that Fournette is not as good as billed, though I'm slightly higher on him. I think there's one lock elite prospect (Chubb) and then a big bucket of "good" prospects whose upside varies (Fournette, Hood, Cook, Perine, Mixon, Freeman). I'd put McCaffrey in that group. All of those guys have top 100 potential and some of them may even have a first round ceiling, but I wouldn't trade a huge bounty for them in dynasty. 

I'm generally less excited about next year's WR class compared with the backs, but I also view JuJu as an elite lock prospect. There are lots of players I like in next year's class, but he and Chubb are really the only ones that I view as can't-miss talents. Given that JuJu is the only one of the two with a clean bill of health, well...that's why he's likely going to be my #1 devy pick when I draft in August. 
Who would you compare JuJu to as a prospect?

Who would you compare JuJu to as a prospect?
Every player is unique, but I'll say he's 80% Demaryius Thomas and maybe 20% Justin Blackmon. DT is probably a little bit taller, but both have above average height along with excellent upper and lower body strength. Neither has truly elite speed, but both are fast enough to win deep. Demaryius had an insane YPR at Georgia Tech. JuJu's hasn't been as high in college, but he ranked 10th in the nation last year in catches of 25+ yards despite only ranking 15th in total receptions. So while he isn't a lethal deep threat like Will Fuller or Corey Coleman, his big play totals are quite good for a player of his size. He's also a very good possession WR. That's the Blackmon side of his game. With his strength, quickness, hands, and overall athletic ability, he's a handful on short-intermediate routes and can easily turn those short throws into significant gains. Basically, he's a complete #1 WR who can do everything for the offense. A lot of people have Fournette as the presumptive #1 in this devy class, but I think JuJu is the real frontrunner to be the first RB/WR drafted next year. Part of that is down to positional value (WRs tend to go before RBs) and part of that is down to him just having the fewest question marks.

JuJu kinda reminds me of Dez outside the RZ. I don't think he's shown the dominance in the endzone that Dez showed, but he looks similar in RAC situations. 

He's might be a little smaller but he's got some T.O. to his game also. You don't see very many T.O. comparisons because he was a pretty unique player but JuJu might be that guy. Just looks like a man amongst boys, runs faster than he'll probably time, physical and great after the catch. Tough. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Fournette as your 7th RB is ludicrous.
Where do you have him?

He's overrated due to his production and high school hype. He has physical limitations and is dependent on the scheme at LSU: I-formation with lead FB.  Doesn't create a lot for himself.

Based on the production that they already have, and their measurables as estimated by nfldraftscout:

At RB, my numbers really like (in order) Nick Chubb, Leonard Fournette, Royce Freeman, and Dalvin Cook (with more questions about the last two, especially because I haven't watched them play much). That is without penalizing Chubb for his injury, except for the missed games / small total workload this year. A couple tiers behind them are Samaje Perine, Saquon Barkley, Shock Linwood, Kareem Hunt, Elijah McGuire, Elijah Hood, Wayne Gallman, and Christian McCaffrey. It's possible that my system is penalizing McCaffrey too much for his lack of TDs (though it does seem notable that his coaches considered Remound Wright a better option in short yardage & goal-line situations).

At WR, JuJu Smith-Schuster is an elite prospect. Corey Davis, Taywan Taylor, Darren Carrington, and Keevan Lucas are ok prospects. Josh Reynolds, Kenny Golladay, Chris Godwin, Mack Hollins, Shelton Gibson, and Isaiah Ford would be in the "can't rule him out" category if they were entering the NFL now.

That's 5 top prospects at RB & WR who already have strong production on their resume, plus a bunch of other names who seem worth keeping an eye on or looking into in more depth.

Based on the production that they already have, and their measurables as estimated by nfldraftscout:

At RB, my numbers really like (in order) Nick Chubb, Leonard Fournette, Royce Freeman, and Dalvin Cook (with more questions about the last two, especially because I haven't watched them play much). That is without penalizing Chubb for his injury, except for the missed games / small total workload this year. A couple tiers behind them are Samaje Perine, Saquon Barkley, Shock Linwood, Kareem Hunt, Elijah McGuire, Elijah Hood, Wayne Gallman, and Christian McCaffrey. It's possible that my system is penalizing McCaffrey too much for his lack of TDs (though it does seem notable that his coaches considered Remound Wright a better option in short yardage & goal-line situations).

At WR, JuJu Smith-Schuster is an elite prospect. Corey Davis, Taywan Taylor, Darren Carrington, and Keevan Lucas are ok prospects. Josh Reynolds, Kenny Golladay, Chris Godwin, Mack Hollins, Shelton Gibson, and Isaiah Ford would be in the "can't rule him out" category if they were entering the NFL now.

That's 5 top prospects at RB & WR who already have strong production on their resume, plus a bunch of other names who seem worth keeping an eye on or looking into in more depth.
No Mike Williams?

Where do you have him?

He's overrated due to his production and high school hype. He has physical limitations and is dependent on the scheme at LSU: I-formation with lead FB.  Doesn't create a lot for himself.
He's not overrated, he's gonna be the first RB drafted and be a beast in the NFL. I do love where you have McCaffrey ranked though.

So are we very high on the 2017 crop at this point?  trying to gauge what picks to move out and try and acquire 2017 picks.

I own   1,3,5,6,14 overall this year (looking at packaging 6 and 14 for 7 overall and a 2017 1st (projected anywhere from 4-6)

So are we very high on the 2017 crop at this point?  trying to gauge what picks to move out and try and acquire 2017 picks.

I own   1,3,5,6,14 overall this year (looking at packaging 6 and 14 for 7 overall and a 2017 1st (projected anywhere from 4-6)
I wouldn't give you any kind of decent 2017 pick for anything less than your 2016 number one.

I'd probably be willing to move anything outside the top 4 for a random 2017 1st. 

He's not overrated, he's gonna be the first RB drafted and be a beast in the NFL. I do love where you have McCaffrey ranked though.
My position isn't as extreme as Xue's, but I agree with his general premise. Fournette isn't quite the prospect that people make him out to be. He is a size/speed guy, but not particularly elusive. 

I had him just behind Chubb until the injury, but I'm not sure we have much to discuss if you think he's the second best RB on LSU. We are obviously world's apart.
Careful, people used to say this when Chubb was just being discovered and people talked about him over Gurley. Don't discount Guice.

I had him just behind Chubb until the injury, but I'm not sure we have much to discuss if you think he's the second best RB on LSU. We are obviously world's apart.
You didn't answer the question. So basically you have no rationale other than "he's gonna ... be a beast".

You didn't answer the question. So basically you have no rationale other than "he's gonna ... be a beast".
His combination of size and speed will translate very well to the NFL. He was the entire focus of opposing defenses with LSU'S QB problems and still put up monster numbers. At worst he's the second RB taken by the middle of the first.

No Mike Williams?
His numbers so far put him in that last category with Mack Hollins. I missed him because I was looking at the 2015 page of my spreadsheet, and he mostly missed this year & had his good season in 2014. He had very good YPT but not many TDs, with decent receiving yardage totals, for Clemson in 2014. It's interesting that he had a lot of receptions for 25-40 yards but very few for more than 40.

His combination of size and speed will translate very well to the NFL. He was the entire focus of opposing defenses with LSU'S QB problems and still put up monster numbers. At worst he's the second RB taken by the middle of the first.
Many of the RBs I ranked have a very good size/speed combo as well.  His O-line doesn't get enough credit for his success, which didn't look great vs Alabama.

Users who are viewing this thread