What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

According to this Cook faced 8 or more in the box on 40.9% of the time. The sixth most for RBs in week one.

I thought the Saints were crowding with mush rush and run blitzing a lot. This data corroborates that observation. 
Yep, and daring Bradford to beat them in the air; which he did repeatedly. 

Despite facing a better run defense next week, I think it's reasonable to assume Cook might have a bit more running room as a result. 

Cook looked very good. That said, he faced a historically bad Saints defense. Still he ran well and looked like a legit RB1.
Saints defense is still pretty bad but at the beginning of this game and throughout preseason I thought they looked much better vs the run then they usually are.  Maybe it's just me.

Saints defense is still pretty bad but at the beginning of this game and throughout preseason I thought they looked much better vs the run then they usually are.  Maybe it's just me.
Yes their pass D is worse than run D. One of the worst I have ever seen. Every WR was wide open on every play.

Yes.  Bradfords best game of his life.  He's gonna look alot different in Pittsburgh
I suspect so. But I have to admit, Bradford had some velocity on his throws that was missing the last season or two. Last year, it seemed like he couldn't throw a fastball anymore, hence a lot of dink and dunk throws. 

Yes.  Bradfords best game of his life.  He's gonna look alot different in Pittsburgh
This seems inaccurate. Bradford looked incredibly capable. That was not all NOS making him look good. Diggs is a 3rd year breakout candidate, Theilen showed last year he was more than a flash in the pan. Cooks & McKinnon both capable receivers, and he has a top TE who's a chain mover & RZ target in Rudolph. 

Bradford had a lot of wasted years with the Rams. I love his current situation. He showed incredible accuracy the last 1/4 of 2016 and I see this as a continuation, but with talent around him blossoming a bit. 

I don't think he'll be 340/3 @ PIT, but I could see 260/2/1 

At least I hope so - I need to start him with dalton sucking so badly. 

This seems inaccurate. Bradford looked incredibly capable. That was not all NOS making him look good. Diggs is a 3rd year breakout candidate, Theilen showed last year he was more than a flash in the pan. Cooks & McKinnon both capable receivers, and he has a top TE who's a chain mover & RZ target in Rudolph. 

Bradford had a lot of wasted years with the Rams. I love his current situation. He showed incredible accuracy the last 1/4 of 2016 and I see this as a continuation, but with talent around him blossoming a bit. 

I don't think he'll be 340/3 @ PIT, but I could see 260/2/1 

At least I hope so - I need to start him with dalton sucking so badly. 
I don't expect a complete meltdown.

But I do think he will get sacked/hit alot and at least 1-2 turnovers

I don't expect a complete meltdown.

But I do think he will get sacked/hit alot and at least 1-2 turnovers
Not disagreeing, see my projections. 

Could also be a big game if PIT gets up quickly against Minny. Bradford forced into play from behind mode. 

The arm looks better than it has in a couple years though. 

Not disagreeing, see my projections. 

Could also be a big game if PIT gets up quickly against Minny. Bradford forced into play from behind mode. 

The arm looks better than it has in a couple years though. 
With how sluggish Pittsburgh looked vs clv I wouldn't be shocked at a lower scoring game.  But they tend to play crazy good at home

Barring injury this kid is an RB1 this year IMO.  Huge part of what Minny wants to do on offense this year.  Wish I had him.  Took Michael Thomas instead at 1.02 in a keep two.  Would trade him straight up right now, even though Thomas should be good this year.  

Vikings OC Pat Shurmur said the team plans to keep using Dalvin Cook as their workhorse back.

When asked if Cook can expect a big workload every week, Shurmur replied, "Yeah, he's a good player." Coming off 137 total yards on 25 touches in Week 1, Cook faces a tougher test this week in Pittsburgh, but his workload and talent will keep him in the low-end RB1 conversation all season.

Source: Andrew Krammer on Twitter

i think his numbers for week 1 were really impressive considering how little he produced the first few drives of the game.  he got better as the game went on.   really good sign if you ask me

i think his numbers for week 1 were really impressive considering how little he produced the first few drives of the game.  he got better as the game went on.   really good sign if you ask me
Looked to me like they were stacking the line in the first half. Bradford was beating the secondary like a drum and then they dropped back a little in the 2nd and Cook beat them like a drum. I wanna see him this weekend. Not to say he wasn't impressive but the Saints D really sucks.

Looked to me like they were stacking the line in the first half. Bradford was beating the secondary like a drum and then they dropped back a little in the 2nd and Cook beat them like a drum. I wanna see him this weekend. Not to say he wasn't impressive but the Saints D really sucks.
Cook saw 8+ men in the box on 41% of his carries which was good for the 6th most last week.

he got better as the game went on.   really good sign if you ask me
That's what I always look for In a back. Keeps getting stronger as the defense wears down. The big runs always come in the 2nd half with those guys - and Minny has the D to get up and keep pounding. 

Sky's limit for this kid. 

He looked pretty good and mostly got the bellcow treatment.

I'm all in on him - CHOO CHOO!!!!

The only part that sucks is I now have to root for a Vikings player. But that's all right, he's going to make me some cash this year. CHOO CHOO!!!

Cook is  going to keep on chugging along. Bradford is this year's breakout QB, he looks poised as hell, throws an accurate pass at will and that alone will keep defenses honest..he also has an incredibly good defense that will keep the VIkings in games,and will in turn produce more offensive possessions for them. this is a a big hype train  - Thielen, Diggs, Cook, Bradford, Viikings stout defense..I like the Steelers but Cleveland gave them all they could handle last week, now they get to face a very capable Vikings offense..this game is the best of the week IMO..going to be a true dogfight.

I mentioned this in another thread but Cook's snaps dropped from 78% to 56% and his utilization dropped from 27 to 15 last week. We saw how Cook is utilized in two seperate scenarios; one during positive game script and one during negative game script.

McKinnons snaps jumped from 17% to 35% and his utilization from 6 to 8.

I need my RBs to be game flow independent and it seems to me that McKinnon might be more trusted in obvious passing situations. I don't like this. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bradford's injury is not good for Cook's outlook.
Agreed but have to look at season-long value. Bradford likely to make a return at some point - if not, Bridgewater will be ready halfway through the season.  And if neither of those happen - we've seen what elite talent at RB in a feature role can do with crappy QB play (Gurley rookie year, AP for most of his career). He's still going to be a decent fantasy starter. I'm still OK with having taken him in the 3rd round in several drafts.

Agreed but have to look at season-long value. Bradford likely to make a return at some point - if not, Bridgewater will be ready halfway through the season.  And if neither of those happen - we've seen what elite talent at RB in a feature role can do with crappy QB play (Gurley rookie year, AP for most of his career). He's still going to be a decent fantasy starter. I'm still OK with having taken him in the 3rd round in several drafts.
He is going to see Dr. James Andrew.... Usually means IR.

Hyde still puts up numbers with Hoyer. Fournette still puts up numbers with Bortles.

I'm less concerned about Cook than I am Diggs and Theilen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zimmer On The Keys To Success On Offense So Far

Zimmer says he has high expectations for him I think he is going to be a great player. Some of the things he does, the hole may be this big (shows a foot distance with his hands) he can get skinny and pick his feet up and accelerate through there. You know, you don't get a lot of clean shots on this guy, He's got a lot of wiggle to him, acceleration. There was one play where he got through the line and the safety came up and he missed him. When he gets near the goal line he smells that and he is trying to pump it in there. Thats what I like about him the most.

He says that defenses are respecting Cook a lot. I don't know how much they are changing their coverages and pressure packages, but I have a pretty good idea that they are respecting the run with him.

Cook on His Surprising Play of the Game, Keenum's Leadership

Main things here is he says that he has been coached to cross grip the football which was something he didn't learn until he got to the Vikings.

He says his block on McCoy was the play of the game for him. He knew he needed to drop his weight and get in McCoys way and get him off the spot so Chase would have a chance to deliver the ball. 

When you go against a defense like ours, all the different looks they give in practice. It has definitely prepared me for the speed of the game and yes things are starting to slow down for me. Credit to the defense for helping me get prepared.

I was really happy to see him get involved in the passing game this week. He's currently on pace for a 325/1536/5 rushing line and a 53/437/0 receiving line. His workload is pretty monstrous right now, he's the 2nd most utilized RB through 3 weeks, being utilized an average of ~25 times per game. I think in deeper ppr leagues it may be wise to handcuff him with McKinnon.

Users who are viewing this thread