Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Dalvin Cook, Vikings

Recommended Posts

According to this Cook faced 8 or more in the box on 40.9% of the time. The sixth most for RBs in week one.

I thought the Saints were crowding with mush rush and run blitzing a lot. This data corroborates that observation. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

According to this Cook faced 8 or more in the box on 40.9% of the time. The sixth most for RBs in week one.

I thought the Saints were crowding with mush rush and run blitzing a lot. This data corroborates that observation. 

Yep, and daring Bradford to beat them in the air; which he did repeatedly. 

Despite facing a better run defense next week, I think it's reasonable to assume Cook might have a bit more running room as a result. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TwinTurbo said:

Cook looked very good. That said, he faced a historically bad Saints defense. Still he ran well and looked like a legit RB1.

Saints defense is still pretty bad but at the beginning of this game and throughout preseason I thought they looked much better vs the run then they usually are.  Maybe it's just me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, need2know said:

Saints defense is still pretty bad but at the beginning of this game and throughout preseason I thought they looked much better vs the run then they usually are.  Maybe it's just me.

Yes their pass D is worse than run D. One of the worst I have ever seen. Every WR was wide open on every play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TwinTurbo said:

Yes their pass D is worse than run D. One of the worst I have ever seen. Every WR was wide open on every play.

Yes.  Bradfords best game of his life.  He's gonna look alot different in Pittsburgh

Edited by need2know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, need2know said:

Yes.  Bradfords best game of his life.  He's gonna look alot different in Pittsburgh

I suspect so. But I have to admit, Bradford had some velocity on his throws that was missing the last season or two. Last year, it seemed like he couldn't throw a fastball anymore, hence a lot of dink and dunk throws. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, need2know said:

Yes.  Bradfords best game of his life.  He's gonna look alot different in Pittsburgh

This seems inaccurate. Bradford looked incredibly capable. That was not all NOS making him look good. Diggs is a 3rd year breakout candidate, Theilen showed last year he was more than a flash in the pan. Cooks & McKinnon both capable receivers, and he has a top TE who's a chain mover & RZ target in Rudolph. 

Bradford had a lot of wasted years with the Rams. I love his current situation. He showed incredible accuracy the last 1/4 of 2016 and I see this as a continuation, but with talent around him blossoming a bit. 

I don't think he'll be 340/3 @ PIT, but I could see 260/2/1 

At least I hope so - I need to start him with dalton sucking so badly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

This seems inaccurate. Bradford looked incredibly capable. That was not all NOS making him look good. Diggs is a 3rd year breakout candidate, Theilen showed last year he was more than a flash in the pan. Cooks & McKinnon both capable receivers, and he has a top TE who's a chain mover & RZ target in Rudolph. 

Bradford had a lot of wasted years with the Rams. I love his current situation. He showed incredible accuracy the last 1/4 of 2016 and I see this as a continuation, but with talent around him blossoming a bit. 

I don't think he'll be 340/3 @ PIT, but I could see 260/2/1 

At least I hope so - I need to start him with dalton sucking so badly. 

I don't expect a complete meltdown.

But I do think he will get sacked/hit alot and at least 1-2 turnovers

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, need2know said:

I don't expect a complete meltdown.

But I do think he will get sacked/hit alot and at least 1-2 turnovers

Not disagreeing, see my projections. 

Could also be a big game if PIT gets up quickly against Minny. Bradford forced into play from behind mode. 

The arm looks better than it has in a couple years though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Not disagreeing, see my projections. 

Could also be a big game if PIT gets up quickly against Minny. Bradford forced into play from behind mode. 

The arm looks better than it has in a couple years though. 

With how sluggish Pittsburgh looked vs clv I wouldn't be shocked at a lower scoring game.  But they tend to play crazy good at home

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barring injury this kid is an RB1 this year IMO.  Huge part of what Minny wants to do on offense this year.  Wish I had him.  Took Michael Thomas instead at 1.02 in a keep two.  Would trade him straight up right now, even though Thomas should be good this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vikings OC Pat Shurmur said the team plans to keep using Dalvin Cook as their workhorse back.

When asked if Cook can expect a big workload every week, Shurmur replied, "Yeah, he's a good player." Coming off 137 total yards on 25 touches in Week 1, Cook faces a tougher test this week in Pittsburgh, but his workload and talent will keep him in the low-end RB1 conversation all season.

Source: Andrew Krammer on Twitter

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think his numbers for week 1 were really impressive considering how little he produced the first few drives of the game.  he got better as the game went on.   really good sign if you ask me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, need2know said:

i think his numbers for week 1 were really impressive considering how little he produced the first few drives of the game.  he got better as the game went on.   really good sign if you ask me

Looked to me like they were stacking the line in the first half. Bradford was beating the secondary like a drum and then they dropped back a little in the 2nd and Cook beat them like a drum. I wanna see him this weekend. Not to say he wasn't impressive but the Saints D really sucks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:

Looked to me like they were stacking the line in the first half. Bradford was beating the secondary like a drum and then they dropped back a little in the 2nd and Cook beat them like a drum. I wanna see him this weekend. Not to say he wasn't impressive but the Saints D really sucks.

Cook saw 8+ men in the box on 41% of his carries which was good for the 6th most last week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, need2know said:

he got better as the game went on.   really good sign if you ask me

That's what I always look for In a back. Keeps getting stronger as the defense wears down. The big runs always come in the 2nd half with those guys - and Minny has the D to get up and keep pounding. 

Sky's limit for this kid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He looked pretty good and mostly got the bellcow treatment.

I'm all in on him - CHOO CHOO!!!!

The only part that sucks is I now have to root for a Vikings player. But that's all right, he's going to make me some cash this year. CHOO CHOO!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cook is  going to keep on chugging along. Bradford is this year's breakout QB, he looks poised as hell, throws an accurate pass at will and that alone will keep defenses honest..he also has an incredibly good defense that will keep the VIkings in games,and will in turn produce more offensive possessions for them. this is a a big hype train  - Thielen, Diggs, Cook, Bradford, Viikings stout defense..I like the Steelers but Cleveland gave them all they could handle last week, now they get to face a very capable Vikings offense..this game is the best of the week IMO..going to be a true dogfight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2017 at 5:24 PM, ponchsox said:

The Bradford injured has me little worried for the entire offense.

You nailed that. Cook is worthless today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

That TD being called back is difference between ok week and meh. FWIW, I thought the ball was over before the knee was down. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned this in another thread but Cook's snaps dropped from 78% to 56% and his utilization dropped from 27 to 15 last week. We saw how Cook is utilized in two seperate scenarios; one during positive game script and one during negative game script.

McKinnons snaps jumped from 17% to 35% and his utilization from 6 to 8.

I need my RBs to be game flow independent and it seems to me that McKinnon might be more trusted in obvious passing situations. I don't like this. 

Edited by SameSongNDance
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not that worried. Again, had that TD not been overruled on challenge, we would be talking about a second great week. 50% + usage is still pretty good in this NFL and that is the floor.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

So good. But so much better with a competent passing game. 

Godspeed Sam Bradford. Get well soon. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

I am looking forward to this. Tampa was considered his landing spot round 1 by many mocks. I believe they had sincere interest. If he continues on this path, stays out of trouble, and doesn't pull and Eddie Lacy many teams will be kicking themselves for passing on him. 

Edited by Dr. Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Bradford's injury is not good for Cook's outlook.

Agreed but have to look at season-long value. Bradford likely to make a return at some point - if not, Bridgewater will be ready halfway through the season.  And if neither of those happen - we've seen what elite talent at RB in a feature role can do with crappy QB play (Gurley rookie year, AP for most of his career). He's still going to be a decent fantasy starter. I'm still OK with having taken him in the 3rd round in several drafts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Phenomena said:

Agreed but have to look at season-long value. Bradford likely to make a return at some point - if not, Bridgewater will be ready halfway through the season.  And if neither of those happen - we've seen what elite talent at RB in a feature role can do with crappy QB play (Gurley rookie year, AP for most of his career). He's still going to be a decent fantasy starter. I'm still OK with having taken him in the 3rd round in several drafts.

He is going to see Dr. James Andrew.... Usually means IR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Weebs210 said:

He is going to see Dr. James Andrew.... Usually means IR.

Dr Andrews did his ACL surgeries, thus why he is meeting with him to discuss his current pain and recommendations about how to treat it.

Does not mean he requires surgery or that he will go to the IR. Its bad enough without jumping to conclusions I think. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hyde still puts up numbers with Hoyer. Fournette still puts up numbers with Bortles.

I'm less concerned about Cook than I am Diggs and Theilen.

Edited by SameSongNDance
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Dr Andrews did his ACL surgeries, thus why he is meeting with him to discuss his current pain and recommendations about how to treat it.

Does not mean he requires surgery or that he will go to the IR. Its bad enough without jumping to conclusions I think. 

Second opinion

Does not sound good to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

Second opinion

Does not sound good to me.

I don't think I ever said this sounds like a good thing. 

Mike Zimmer said Bradfords issue was not surgically related, meaning that he did not require surgery, but then just today he said he doesn't know. So possible in those previous comments that Zimmer was wrong or just lying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zimmer On The Keys To Success On Offense So Far

Zimmer says he has high expectations for him I think he is going to be a great player. Some of the things he does, the hole may be this big (shows a foot distance with his hands) he can get skinny and pick his feet up and accelerate through there. You know, you don't get a lot of clean shots on this guy, He's got a lot of wiggle to him, acceleration. There was one play where he got through the line and the safety came up and he missed him. When he gets near the goal line he smells that and he is trying to pump it in there. Thats what I like about him the most.

He says that defenses are respecting Cook a lot. I don't know how much they are changing their coverages and pressure packages, but I have a pretty good idea that they are respecting the run with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cook on His Surprising Play of the Game, Keenum's Leadership

Main things here is he says that he has been coached to cross grip the football which was something he didn't learn until he got to the Vikings.

He says his block on McCoy was the play of the game for him. He knew he needed to drop his weight and get in McCoys way and get him off the spot so Chase would have a chance to deliver the ball. 

When you go against a defense like ours, all the different looks they give in practice. It has definitely prepared me for the speed of the game and yes things are starting to slow down for me. Credit to the defense for helping me get prepared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really happy to see him get involved in the passing game this week. He's currently on pace for a 325/1536/5 rushing line and a 53/437/0 receiving line. His workload is pretty monstrous right now, he's the 2nd most utilized RB through 3 weeks, being utilized an average of ~25 times per game. I think in deeper ppr leagues it may be wise to handcuff him with McKinnon.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

He's making me feel ok about drafting him ahead of Hunt.

Oh come on :lol:

Hunt is on a historic pace with nearly 2x the FP in PPR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Oh come on :lol:

Hunt is on a historic pace with nearly 2x the FP in PPR. 

Thankfully dynasty leagues last longer than 3 weeks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.