Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Dalvin Cook, Vikings

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Chaka said:

Fair enough. Cook had high usage and, in unrelated news, he suffered a knee injury.

Please cut/replace into my previous post. 

I don't see a pace anywhere close to the 411 opportunities he was on pace for in 2017 and I think his efficiency will decline due to issues on tue offensive line.

Sure I said earlier in this thread Murray wasn’t healthy early in the season when Cook was seeing the backfield to himself. I anticipate Murray spelling Cook more than he and McKinnon did early last season, but he’s the better back by a fair margin and it wouldn’t concern me if I was in a position to draft him. Since I have pick 4 it’s pretty likely I won’t be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bazinga! said:

Actually it is not.  If that is how you chose to receive it, that is on you.

I am totally aware that the only thing anyone truly has control over is their response.

Now is defending comments that may (do) make light of domestic abuse a response you really want to plant your flag on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr. Octopus said:

Sure I said earlier in this thread Murray wasn’t healthy early in the season when Cook was seeing the backfield to himself. I anticipate Murray spelling Cook more than he and McKinnon did early last season, but he’s the better back by a fair margin and it wouldn’t concern me if I was in a position to draft him. Since I have pick 4 it’s pretty likely I won’t be.

Cook is clearly the unquestioned lead back. I am just thinking his baseline for opportunities is closer to 300 then the pace he was on last season. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits 350 but I see that as his ceiling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chaka said:

I am totally aware that the only thing anyone truly has control over is their response.

Now is defending comments that may (do) make light of domestic abuse a response you really want to plant your flag on?

Count me out of the politically correct culture.  I have nothing but love and concern for people in that situation.  If/when I use their situation as an analogy for a behavior I see as similar and someone choses to take offense, I could give a rats ###.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bazinga! said:

Count me out of the politically correct culture.  I have nothing but love and concern for people in that situation.  If/when I use their situation as an analogy for a behavior I see as similar and someone choses to take offense, I could give a rats ###.

Political correctness is nothing more than a dog whistle fake issue. It has nothing to do with making light of domestic abuse.

But you chose your response today, perhaps tomorrow you will chose a different response (or maybe I will).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bazinga! said:

First statement is just lazy/weak.  You really blaming an injury on a 3 1/2 game workload?

The second statement is a real concern.  The line is good if healthy, but they do lack depth

I guess this is all relative.

I think the Vikings have better depth than they had last season and especially better depth than in 2016.

Cook was able to do his thing with what the Vikings had last season, and I don't think their offensive line is worse than last season. The depth looks better to me this year than last.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chaka said:

The high usage didn't work out well for Cook that's true. 

No this isn't true. Everything you said to support this idea is also just in your head. It isn't how the coaches feel about it at all.

You are talking about a RB who averaged 25 touches per game at the college level and 24 touches per game at the NFL level. He has shown he can be productive with a high workload and that he has the talent to deserve a big workload.

His injury was non contact variety could have happened at any time. I don't see any relationship between the injury and Cooks workload.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LawFitz said:

In addition to Lat Murray, it appears the Vikes also now have a young Chris Ivory backing up Cook. He's not in Cook's class, but this kid runs HARD.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1031224657645469696?s=09

Boone and Roc Thomas have been playing well behind this offensive line.

I think that bodes well for what Cook will be able to do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Boone and Roc Thomas have been playing well behind this offensive line.

I think that bodes well for what Cook will be able to do.

Nice simple observation that makes sense. No need for analytics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Boone and Roc Thomas have been playing well behind this offensive line.

I think that bodes well for what Cook will be able to do.

You seem well plugged in to the Vikings...I’ve liked what I see of both these guys in preseason.

In a very deep dynasty, which of these two would you say is the better stash?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Arodin said:

You seem well plugged in to the Vikings...I’ve liked what I see of both these guys in preseason.

In a very deep dynasty, which of these two would you say is the better stash?

That is a tough call. Before the last game I would say Roc Thomas who has great speed and some good footwork and moves to go with it.

Boone is a more powerful RB who somewhat reminds me of Leroy Hoard.

If you have enough roster space I would say both are worthy of a churn spot. Boone seems like more of a workhorse type RB while Thomas more of a COP of speciality back, but I have only seen two games of each guy so far. Possible Thomas could be a starter as well I suppose. Thomas isn't as poweful as Boone. The two RB have pretty different running styles.

Boone is more like Murray. Thomas is more like McKinnon.

I am not sure if the Vikings will be able to keep both, so one of them might be changing teams soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biabreakable said:

No this isn't true. Everything you said to support this idea is also just in your head. It isn't how the coaches feel about it at all.

You are talking about a RB who averaged 25 touches per game at the college level and 24 touches per game at the NFL level. He has shown he can be productive with a high workload and that he has the talent to deserve a big workload.

His injury was non contact variety could have happened at any time. I don't see any relationship between the injury and Cooks workload.

You're a little late to the party Bia.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chaka said:

You're a little late to the party Bia.

 

Yeah my bad.

Cook seems fine though. He may play a bit in the 3rd preseason game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Yeah my bad.

Cook seems fine though. He may play a bit in the 3rd preseason game.

I like Cook, I honestly can't argue against his RB10 ADP between Hunt (9) and McCaffrey (11). I also have them ranked in that order even if I can see me drinking the McCaffrey Kool-Aid on draft day.

But because of the injury, the loss of Shurmer, death of Sparano, my belief that the offensive line will decline (negatively impacting Cook's efficiency) and my belief that he will be spelled more (I see 350 touches as his absolute max ceiling and think he will end up much closer to 300)  I can't see me drafting him over any of the guys currently ranked ahead of him and I might bump him below both McCaffrey and Devonta. 

So I think it is unlikely I will have him on my team unless he falls a few spots.

 

Edited by Chaka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Chaka said:

I like Cook, I honestly can't argue against his RB10 ADP between Hunt (9) and McCaffrey (11). I also have them ranked in that order even if I can see me drinking the McCaffrey Kool-Aid on draft day.

But because of the injury, the loss of Shurmer, death of Sparano, my belief that the offensive line will decline (negatively impacting Cook's efficiency) and my belief that he will be spelled more (I see 350 touches as his absolute max ceiling and think he will end up much closer to 300)  I can't see me drafting him over any of the guys currently ranked ahead of him and I might bump him below both McCaffrey and Devonta. 

So I think it is unlikely I will have him on my team unless he falls a few spots.

 

I don't really see Shurmur as a loss because DeFlippo has done some good things with QBs recently as well. He isn't as experienced as a coordinator as Shurmur is, but he has also done that job before as well. It is a very similar offensive system to what Shurmur was running last season. Shurmur was on the Eagles offensive staff not that long ago as well you know?

As far as the ofensive line, one of the possibilities is that as a whole they are worse than the group in 2017. Or they could play at a similar level with some different players, or they could be improved with some of the new players doing a good job.

We don't know which it is going to be or maybe it will be a mixture of things as players are injured during the season. Maybe the Vikings offensive line starts out slow but improves as the season goes on. Maybe they start well then regress as injuries mount like last season.

From what I have seen of the new players who did play a little bit last season, such as Isidora and Collins, as well as new center Edison who was acquired but didn't play last year, they are capable players.

Collins in particular is very interesting as he has been playing right tackle (Started for Hill who is dinged right now) then left tackle with the second team, then left guard with the 3rd team. He played some 3rd tackle on inbalanced line or as a TE last year as well and the Vikings blocked very well on plays he was in (obligatory Kyle Rudolph sucks at blocking comment) that role. Collins has played the most snaps of any offensive player in the first two preseason games. 79% then 85% of the offensive snaps. I have been watching him with great interest and I think he is doing a good job more often than not. He is physical and can move defenders off their spot.

Edison at center has had many good blocks in the running game as well. Isidora is doing a good job. You see some very good blocking for Murray and the other Vikings RB at times. I think the offensive line is going to have more issues with pass blocking than run blocking.

All of those players you mention are very good and in similar tier as Cook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coach Mike Zimmer confirmed Dalvin Cook (knee) is "ready to roll" for Week 1 against the 49ers.

There wasn't any doubt about Cook's availability for the opener, but just how big of a workload he'll see against San Francisco remains a legitimate question. Cook rushed just two times for one yard this preseason. If he wasn't coming off an injury, that wouldn't be much of a concern, but it signals the Vikings could hold him back some in the early stages of the season. Latavius Murray could play a larger role in September and should be added in standard, TD-heavy leagues.

Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter 

Sep 5 - 11:03 AM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vikings OC John DeFilippo said he's "not sure" if Dalvin Cook (knee) will be on a pitch count against the 49ers in Week 1.

"There’s nothing that hasn’t told us that he can’t carry the load," said DeFilippo. "If that does arise where he needs a break, we’re confident in all the guys that we’re able to put in the football game." There seems to be some #CompetitiveAdvantage going on here as the Vikings don't want to reveal too much of their game plan ahead of time, though it does sound like the coaching staff is fairly confident in Cook's ability to handle a full workload or something close to it. Even with Latavius Murray a threat to poach goal-line carries, Cook still belongs on the RB1 borderline this week and going forward.

Source: Courtney Cronin on Twitter 

Sep 6 - 1:13 PM

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cook has been in there for the first two drives. The Vikings started off with a pass to Cook, then a run for the first down, then a check down to Cook.

Tom Compton having a lot of trouble blocking Buckner and Cousins facing pressure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need a good game from him.

Tex

Edited by BigTex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cook avoiding tackles with good footwork. Two strong runs on the last drive but he fumbles the ball being tackled from behind by 48 of the 49ers.

Cook has the ball out away from his body on the fumble. Likely using his arms to try to pick up speed after stepping through the trash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Cook avoiding tackles with good footwork. Two strong runs on the last drive but he fumbles the ball being tackled from behind by 48 of the 49ers.

Cook has the ball out away from his body on the fumble. Likely using his arms to try to pick up speed after stepping through the trash.

 

In his defense, trying to keep that many guys from stripping him of the ball is asking a lot.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

 

In his defense, trying to keep that many guys from stripping him of the ball is asking a lot.

It was a good run before the fumble and a good play by the defender to knock the ball out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus, I'm sure they're confident they can sit him against the Bills. Game script probably not in his favor even if he was 100%. He'll be sitting on my bench too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, G-Money said:

So Murray or Clement if you had the option (non PPR)??

I'm going Murray over Beast Mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who took Cook without handcuffing him is learning a valuable lesson right now. Dude went into the season questionable, and with a capable backup reportedly in a time-share. 

I happily grabbed Murray with my 3rd to last pick & held onto him for a couple weeks as a “lottery ticket”

i feel like I just hit triple 7’s on a slot machine. Rest well Mr Cook - take your time.  :pickle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, G-Money said:

So Murray or Clement if you had the option (non PPR)??

I’m going Murray over Royce Freeman at Balt. No-brainer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ratbast said:

I’m going Murray over Collins. 

In the league I have Collins I’d probably still play him over Murray, if I had Murray (I don’t) but it’s really close. Feel like Collins might have a big week. Gut feeling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Anyone who took Cook without handcuffing him is learning a valuable lesson right now. Dude went into the season questionable, and with a capable backup reportedly in a time-share. 

I happily grabbed Murray with my 3rd to last pick & held onto him for a couple weeks as a “lottery ticket”

i feel like I just hit triple 7’s on a slot machine. Rest well Mr Cook - take your time.  :pickle:

I snagged him off the WW Tuesday night, may have overpaid, but it was worth it as I am playing against the Cook owner this week. His team his loaded, but at least this will help me get an edge somewhere. Just wish I kept Hyde in my RB2 spot so i could flex in Murray and have them both going.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BigBlue_RI said:

I snagged him off the WW Tuesday night, may have overpaid, but it was worth it as I am playing against the Cook owner this week. His team his loaded, but at least this will help me get an edge somewhere. Just wish I kept Hyde in my RB2 spot so i could flex in Murray and have them both going.

Me & my big mouth - a good friend who’s pretty new to FFB (2nd season) dropped Murray after spending a late pick on him in my IDP league. 

He cleared waivers and I was about to add him, when a bout of empathy hit - I texted him & told him, “you should probably pick Murray back up - they’re in a time-share, Cook is coming off injury & you’ve got a hurt DB who’s far more droppable.” 

He added him back & thanked me profusely for the mentoring. 

Naturally he’s in my division, and naturally I face him this week. 

No good deed goes unpunished, as they say. I need to be more cutthroat. :doh: 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, oddsbodkins said:

I love how that started out as cramps and now is determined out 2 days before the game. 

Injury reporting gonna injury report. :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But for us Cook owners this is perfect.  Now we don't have to worry about how much time might Cook get before he is rested against the sorry Bills.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

But for us Cook owners this is perfect.  Now we don't have to worry about how much time might Cook get before he is rested against the sorry Bills.  

That's how I'm looking at it. Your table is ready Chris Thompson!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Me & my big mouth - a good friend who’s pretty new to FFB (2nd season) dropped Murray after spending a late pick on him in my IDP league. 

He cleared waivers and I was about to add him, when a bout of empathy hit - I texted him & told him, “you should probably pick Murray back up - they’re in a time-share, Cook is coming off injury & you’ve got a hurt DB who’s far more droppable.” 

He added him back & thanked me profusely for the mentoring. 

Naturally he’s in my division, and naturally I face him this week. 

No good deed goes unpunished, as they say. I need to be more cutthroat. :doh: 

Naw you did the right thing if he only has two years of FF experience and is already taking on IDP leagues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Naw you did the right thing if he only has two years of FF experience and is already taking on IDP leagues.

 This is the only league he’s ever had, last year in this. And there’s 11 sharks in there, so I feel a little bad for the guppy already. Last year I believe he went three and 11. 

Hard to watch a team thin at RB drop a viable player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.