Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Dalvin Cook, Vikings

Dalvin Cook (hamstring) is active for Week 9 against the Lions.

ESPN Vikings reporter Courtney Cronin expects Cook to get 10-20 snaps, but who really knows how much work he'll truly get. We still like Latavius Murray as an RB2 play. Cook is expected to just knock off the rust ahead of the bye. Inactive for the Vikings are Stefon Diggs (ribs), S Andrew Sendejo, LB Anthony Barr, LG Tom Compton, RB Roc Thomas, QB Kyle Sloter, and DE Tashawn Bower. Only Sloter and Bower are healthy scratches for the injured Vikes.

Nov 4 - 11:36 AM

30 minutes ago, Insein said:

Apparently healthy and playing

Wish I really knew how much he was going to play.  Sticking with Barber over Cook today.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Wish I really knew how much he was going to play.  Sticking with Barber over Cook today.  

Same. Well Lindsay, Ingram and Carson anyway. 

I think I had him at 5-6 snaps in the 1st quarter... the usage is nice to see, slot action + 2 RB sets mean he'll get usage in counter/misdirection plays.

Dalvin Cook rushed 10 times for 89 yards and caught all four of his targets for 20 yards in the Vikings' Week 9 win over the Lions.

Making his return from a five-week hamstring injury, Cook didn't get the start but did out-snap and out-touch Latavius Murray, who managed 47 yards on 11 touches but also scored a goal-line touchdown. Cook looked good on his big 70-yard run before getting dragged down at the five-yard line. He now has the bye to get even healthier ahead of Week 11 against the Bears.

The one takeaway I got is the usage was very interesting, 2 RB sets with Latavius Murray and he lined up in the slot on a scripted play a few times. He looked confident, which he definitely wasn't last time. Of course, Vikes lied about the usage (he played a lot more than 20 snaps). Now he'll rest up and be ready in 2 weeks, you wonder what the role distribution will be...

7 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Well, that was fun.   At least Cook looked good and we have a RB worth starting 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elbowrm said:

70 yd run

"Cook broke off a 70-yard run, which more than doubled the previous longest rush of his career (33 yards). According to NFL’s Next Gen Stats, Cook topped out at 22.07 mph, the fastest of any ball carrier this season."

• Like 3

On 11/2/2018 at 12:19 PM, iamkoza said:

Let's recap. Last time he was supposed to play limited snaps he was quoted leading up to the game saying he felt it was best to wait until he was 100%... They worked him out pre-game, he ended up not playing, then re injured it the following Wednesday.

So he took a two week break.

Now this week he was quoted saying he feels great, still worried about how it will respond during game conditions .. but still much more positive comments.

If he does end up playing limited snaps and looks good, he'll be that much closer to taking back a 75% snap share he had early on.

?

As owner, I'm thrilled to see Cook's explosive long rushing yard (70 yards) and yes, I was keenly aware of Lions' crappy DL (despite addition of Snacks Harrison).  I hope this set up Cook for run in latter end of season.  Vikings clearly need him especially play-action scheme, which is something Cousins excels at. 

For his longterm health, I would have held Cook back, but we have now seen that he is ready and after the Bye he should be in shape enough to carry a full load. This guy could win some championships down the stretch if your team isn't already out of it due to his injury.

• Like 1

Vikings OC John DeFilippo said Dalvin Cook (hamstring) is a "full-go" at this point.

Cook was supposed to be limited during his first game back before the bye, but he ended up playing 57 percent of the snaps and gaining 109 yards on 14 touches. Following the bye week, it sounds like he will be given even more work moving forward. This week's matchup with the Bears aside, Cook is looking at a pretty good schedule the rest of the way. He is a good bet for a late-season surge assuming he is able to stay healthy.

Again, the Vikes used him in 2 RB formations with him out wide or in the slot. You love that type of variety, I expect to see 15-18 carries and 4-6 receptions for Cook; Cousins likes to target  RBs/TEs.

Dalvin Cook had nine carries for 12 yards in Week 11 against Chicago.

He also lost a fumble in the first quarter. The Vikings run game was completly shut down by Chicago and they were forced to go pass heavy in the second half. Cook looked over his hamstring issues coming off Minnesota's bye and likel ywould have been more involved if not for gameflow. Cook has a get-right matchup with a Packers defensive line that will be without DE Mike Daniels in Week 12.

Usage for Cook early wasn't bad but he got benched for a quarter, then the line was so dominated when he was in he had to block a lot. When he got screen passes he was hit immediately.

Edited by The Frankman

Yeah that sucked, other then a nice run on third and 3 to get the first he never really seemed to have anywhere to go. Luckily the league I have him in I had Barkley and DJ Moore go off so I should be fine, need him big time next week tho.

I’ve mentuoned this in this thread already but I’m the maddest I’ve ever been in 26 years of FF trading away David Johnson for Cook after week two. Last night I’m playing the team I made the trade with for first place in the division. 19 points for Johnson. Negative 1 for Cook. 

2 minutes ago, Kwai Chang Caine said:

I’ve mentuoned this in this thread already but I’m the maddest I’ve ever been in 26 years of FF trading away David Johnson for Cook after week two. Last night I’m playing the team I made the trade with for first place in the division. 19 points for Johnson. Negative 1 for Cook. 

Isnt FF great?

Just now, DocHolliday said:

Isnt FF great?

You know. It was a real knee jerk reaction. I got the idea from Bloom on his podcast to trade Johnson away for Cook or Fournette if possible. It’s my fault. I’m a big boy but man do I still rue the day I listened to that. Bloom is a good guy and we all get some wrong but I don’t think anyone should have thought about trading away a first round pick so early. At the time it made sense. I thought I’d be out of Cook for 2-3 weeks and then have a stud on a top caliber offense. 

I liked him better when he was injured.  I might be overreacting...but is Cook worthy of a start going forward? 

Over the next five weeks he faces some mediocre to bad run defenses...plus several of those games look to be high scoring. 

I'm going to try to forget that this week happened and hope for the best. 

8 minutes ago, oldmanhawkins said:

I liked him better when he was injured.  I might be overreacting...but is Cook worthy of a start going forward?

:jawdrop:

Cook was severely underutilized in Sunday night game vs. Bears.  Granted, Bears' stout defensive front line exacerbated Vikings' porous rushing OL.  But I never understood Cousins' numerous passing gambits on high risk shot to Thielen and Diggs.  I did see a several open short / screen passes to his TEs / RBs.  Doesn't logic dictate more short passes to ward off relentless pass-rushing defensive players, allowing TEs / RBs to make play?  Vikings' loss to Bears is clearly on Cousins' and his OC DeFilippo for not adjusting toward latter end of the game especially when Vikings D kept it close. 

Edited by Aznflyer14
  • Like 1

i think he's safe to start against crummy teams. there arent a lot of stout d's left on their fantasy schedule. he played almost every snap of the 4th quarter in passing situations. my glass is half full... 

2 hours ago, The Frankman said:

:jawdrop:

I’m being honest, I’ve been on the Cook bandwagon throughout this awful year because I thought he had a great floor of 8-10 points. I also figured the upside would come as he got healthy. He’s my Rb3 in one league and Rb4 in the other - but I’d like to start him in both.  One goose egg can easily lose the week (and end the season in the playoffs). I might be better off with Kenyan Drake who also might get me a goose egg but has at least shown he has a ceiling that can help me win a week.

I traded for him many weeks ago, sat him on the end of my bench and waited very patiently for yesterday. The first day that I got to start him.

Felt good to get him in the starting lineup for the first time. I was confident that he would get 8, maybe 10 even against the Bears.

4.2 pts in 1 ppr.   :lmao:

The guy I drafted as my RB1 is currently RB66 in our format.

3 rookies - Chubb, Kerryon, & Lindsay - have carried my team to 7-4 after an 0-2 start.

If he ever gets going it'd be a nice bonus.

Started him Weeks 1, 2 & 4, had him on the bench for Week 9 v DET. Didn't want to make that mistake again. 

:P

I imagine I'm not alone in that pattern.

Thanks to Hilton, Lindsay and a few others I'll win this week easily (45-50 points) but def would have hurt bad had it been a close one.

He has been frustrating but still shows talent. I am starting him this week as the Pack have given up good points to RBs this season.

Of course you start him, the Vikes ran into a buzzsaw defense and compromised the gameplan to protect Cousins at all costs. What was surprising is all the time he was in to block for Cousins, he was never thrown an outlet unless it was a planned play. He was also benched for much of the 1st and 2nd quarter after the fumble.

If you're considering not playing him against Green Bay, you better have some darn good RBs in tow.

Edited by The Frankman

37 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

Of course you start him, the Vikes ran into a buzzsaw defense and compromised the gameplan to protect Cousins at all costs. What was surprising is all the time he was in to block for Cousins, he was never thrown an outlet unless it was a planned play. 

I thought the exact same thing, and was wishing my league awarded one point per chip block

1 hour ago, The Frankman said:

Of course you start him, the Vikes ran into a buzzsaw defense and compromised the gameplan to protect Cousins at all costs. What was surprising is all the time he was in to block for Cousins, he was never thrown an outlet unless it was a planned play. He was also benched for much of the 1st and 2nd quarter after the fumble.

If you're considering not playing him against Green Bay, you better have some darn good RBs in tow.

Funny you mention that. I've got Mixon, Chubb, Cook and Michel. And I can use three....

1 hour ago, The Frankman said:

no, you don't start him until he proves himself capable over a 3-game stretch. he's been nothing short of putrid this season. to your point about the buzzsaw defense

you have to remember this is what opponents do against the very porous vikings o-line.it'll continue to happen.they've had what, one maybe 2 good days out of their RBs all season long? expect that to continue.

Dalvin Cook is a first rate bust, up there with Trent Richardson. I would not trust him to fold laundry let alone be my starting RB, fantasy or real games.

31 minutes ago, Kwai Chang Caine said:

Funny you mention that. I've got Mixon, Chubb, Cook and Michel. And I can use three....

7 minutes ago, Tanner9919 said:

you have to remember this is what opponents do against the very porous vikings o-line.it'll continue to happen.they've had what, one maybe 2 good days out of their RBs all season long? expect that to continue.

Dalvin Cook is a first rate bust, up there with Trent Richardson. I would not trust him to fold laundry let alone be my starting RB, fantasy or real games.

1) Line has improved with the return of Pat Eflein Week 4 (really Week 5).

2) Cook is good enough to get usable fantasy days out of him via receiving yards alone, his usage bears that out. Hell, his first two games he had 16/40/0 and 16/38/0, yet nearly put up double digit fantasy points due to receiving yardage alone.

3) As for the 1-2 days comment, http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8585/latavius-murray. So no.

4) I would post the improving scores from Pro Football Focus correlating the improvement on the line the last 5 weeks but yeah,  I've done enough.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NeverEnough said:

What are Cook owners getting for him in trade in dynasty? I'm thinking of selling

i was recently offered a late 1st and mckinnon for him

1 hour ago, Tanner9919 said:

Your shtick is getting old. Try harder. 

5 hours ago, Jello_Biafra said:

Your shtick is getting old. Try harder. 

Idk, everytime he goes into a players thread and says practically this same statement for that player after they had a bad/iffy game they turn it right back around and put up great numbers again so maybe him being here helps

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Like a kid who still pretends to believe in Santa because he's scared that if he admits that he doesn't the toys won't come, I want to believe you.  

But there are a dozen no brainer starts over Cook:  Gordon, Kamara, Elliot, Chubb, Barkley, Mixon, Johnson, Fournette, Connor, McCaffery, Gurley, Hunt. 

And a dozen more that I'd have a hard time putting him in over:  Mack, Ingram, Lindsay, Jones, White, Howard, Breida, Duke Johnson, Tarik Cohen, Michel, McCoy, Kerryon. 

I'd put him slightly higher than Kenyon Drake.  Both players, in my opinion, should be between the two lists, but have done nothing this year for me to put them there.      

I'm a huge Cook fan and, as I said, I want to share in your optimism.  But we're talking about a guy who has one good run all season...and even that was a disappointment (he should have scored on that 70 yarder).  Not to mention, we now have to worry about consequences of another fumble.  Until he actually produces I'm not sure I'm comfortable rolling with him in my lineup.   

On 11/20/2018 at 9:39 PM, oldmanhawkins said:

Like a kid who still pretends to believe in Santa because he's scared that if he admits that he doesn't the toys won't come, I want to believe you.  

But there are a dozen no brainer starts over Cook:  Gordon, Kamara, Elliot, Chubb, Barkley, Mixon, Johnson, Fournette, Connor, McCaffery, Gurley, Hunt. 

And a dozen more that I'd have a hard time putting him in over:  Mack, Ingram, Lindsay, Jones, White, Howard, Breida, Duke Johnson, Tarik Cohen, Michel, McCoy, Kerryon. 

I'd put him slightly higher than Kenyon Drake.  Both players, in my opinion, should be between the two lists, but have done nothing this year for me to put them there.      

I'm a huge Cook fan and, as I said, I want to share in your optimism.  But we're talking about a guy who has one good run all season...and even that was a disappointment (he should have scored on that 70 yarder).  Not to mention, we now have to worry about consequences of another fumble.  Until he actually produces I'm not sure I'm comfortable rolling with him in my lineup.   

Superflex league where 2 of my 3 QBs (Trubisky and Smith) are suddenly out. I was starting Gordon & Ingram over him, but now get to pick between Cook, new team member Chase Daniel or an injured WR (AJ Green or Baldwin) for the flex spot. Given those options, "comfortable" is a relative term.

On 11/20/2018 at 2:19 PM, NeverEnough said:

What are Cook owners getting for him in trade in dynasty? I'm thinking of selling

I traded him and Julio plus a mid 2nd for Tyreek Hill. 

• Like 1

Redraft, Cook's schedule down the stretch looks pretty delish - if you're in the smaller league obviously it's different but 12 teams or more if you got him, bench him at your own risk.

This is get-right spot for Dalvin Cook after last week’s ten-total-yard dud. He ran into a terrible draw last week, but still played a season-high 88 percent of the snaps. This week he’s in a more favorable spot as a home favorite against a Green Bay defense that has allowed over 100 total yards to three of the past four lead backs they have faced and have allowed a top-24 scorer in each of their past four games. Green Bay has been pummeled for 126/637/5 (5.06 YPC) rushing by enemy backs in its last five games. Despite his poor Week 11 bottom line, Cook dominated touches (12) and snaps over Latavius Murray (4, 9%) and is quietly locked into RB1-level usage. Cook should be started with confidence on Sunday night.

Dalvin Cook had 10 carries for 29 yards and caught three passes for 47 yards and a touchdown in the Vikings' Week 12 win over the Packers.

Cook didn't do much on the ground, but he got the Vikings' scoring start on a screen he took for a 26-yard touchdown. It was his best receiving effort since Week 1. Cook was held in check last week, but he's had over 100 total yards or a touchdown in two of the last three games. He'll be an RB2 for a matchup with the Patriots in Week 13.

Edited by The Frankman

12 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Dalvin Cook had 10 carries for 29 yards and caught three passes for 47 yards and a touchdown in the Vikings' Week 12 win over the Packers.

Cook didn't do much on the ground, but he got the Vikings' scoring start on a screen he took for a 26-yard touchdown. It was his best receiving effort since Week 1. Cook was held in check last week, but he's had over 100 total yards or a touchdown in two of the last three games. He'll be an RB2 for a matchup with the Patriots in Week 13.

Keep in mind that that was a rare screen pass Cousins made this year despite making considerable of them during his years at Redskins.  And Vikings famously used screen pass as one of their offensive staples last year.  It really baffled me on their new OC DeFilippo not utilizing it often this year when he knew it to be one of their team's and newly signed QB's strengths. 

3 minutes ago, Aznflyer14 said:

Keep in mind that that was a rare screen pass Cousins made this year despite making considerable of them during his years at Redskins.  And Vikings famously used screen pass as one of their offensive staples last year.  It really baffled me on their new OC DeFilippo not utilizing it often this year when he knew it to be one of their team's and newly signed QB's strengths.  

Yes, this has been a frustrating development on top of Cook's injuries.  Matching Cook with Cousins, who targeted Chris Thompson an average of 55 times/yr over the last three, seemed like a smart bet but it hasn't materialized.  Watching the Bears game, appeared that he has heavy pass pro responsibilities due to the poor O-line play.

• Like 1

In regards to the Vikings not running many screen passes, that is true and it has been frustrating.

Keep in mind that Cook was injured and out for a long time. Murray is not the same level of dynamics as Cook is as a receiver. So that is part of the reason why the Vikings haven't been running many pass plays to the RB.

That has changed with Cook being healthy.

The Vikings offensive line is still not good. You can see the defense plays differently when Cook is in the game than when Murray is. The defense plays the pass when Murray is in there, but when Cook is in there they are more focused on stopping him. The best way to stop him is to get there before Cook can get started. So defenses do a lot of run blitzing and more difficult fronts to run against when Cook is in there.

Cousins was looking for Cook in the flat later on in the game but he was actually covered and so Cousins did something else, but they are using Cook as a receiver frequently.

Since returning from injury 

Lions 28 offensive snaps (57.1%) 10 rushing attempts 89 yards 4 targets 4 receptions 20 yards 

Bears 59 offensive snaps (88.1%) 9 rushing attempts 13 rushing yards 3 targets 3 receptions -2 yards 

Packers 41 offensive snaps (58.6%) 10 rushing attempts 29 rushing yards 3 targets 3 receptions 47 yards 1 TD

• Like 1