What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, BAL (2 Viewers)

I'm deciding between Mattison and Sony.....at this point leaning Mattison, but Sony has a juicy matchup as well....just don't trust the Pats for obvious reasons
Either J White or Sony is going to have a really nice game....it's just a matter of which one.

If you're happy with what Mattison is putting out now, he'll likely have an uptick on Sunday.  Can't see his usage going down with Cook hurting.

As for me, I have both Cook and Mattison. I have no idea which way I’m going. I’m in what looks to be a pretty even matchup. I may start both if Jacobs is out. 

Whatever you do, do NOT cut a deck of cards to make your decision. I did this last week and ended up starting Foles. 
I seriously wish you'd asked me if it was in any way playoff determinant. I watched him and couldn't believe what I'd seen the past two weeks before JAX. Then, when Marrone started getting the questions, I wondered if he'd make it through the game. I even took out a thread about Foles and starting/not starting him but then deleted it when I figured I just couldn't start him. I benched the guy for Kyler Murray and Sam Darnold, for goodness's sake.

That's how bad he had looked the two weeks prior, garbage time excepted. It's too bad that happened to you. 

We should get a 2QB/Superflex thread for next year. 

Pretty much all the news has been positive and he's not even on the injury report which is crazy. I think you have to play him. 

Is it possible he is just the ultimate decoy? I really don't want to get duped here. Winning by 30 or winning by 5 makes no difference to me. The facts just don't add up to me. He was on the sideline in a crucial game and days later he is good to go, wtf?

Is it possible he is just the ultimate decoy? I really don't want to get duped here. Winning by 30 or winning by 5 makes no difference to me. The facts just don't add up to me. He was on the sideline in a crucial game and days later he is good to go, wtf?
That’s where I’m leaning. Playing Detroit at home, I think they can get buy or they could pull him on 3rd downs and goal line. 

I have no idea, but I see that after Sunday that he went 7-31 and it was a "in-game" or "coach's" decision, I'm really gonna feel burned.

Dude was on the ground heaving in pain, looking like he was crying, and said that the hit was just "different." "Just felt different," he said in his locker room stall.

Something strange is afoot at the Circle K, guys.

But so that it adds to the thread right now, I think I have to play him over Mattison, Laird, Hyde, and D. Johnson, who are my alternatives.

I seriously wish you'd asked me if it was in any way playoff determinant. I watched him and couldn't believe what I'd seen the past two weeks before JAX. Then, when Marrone started getting the questions, I wondered if he'd make it through the game. I even took out a thread about Foles and starting/not starting him but then deleted it when I figured I just couldn't start him. I benched the guy for Kyler Murray and Sam Darnold, for goodness's sake.

That's how bad he had looked the two weeks prior, garbage time excepted. It's too bad that happened to you. 

We should get a 2QB/Superflex thread for next year. 
Yeah, I needed to win and needed someone else to lose to get in. Didn’t matter. I got blown out by 40 and the guy ahead of me cruised to an easy win. 

Yeah, I needed to win and needed someone else to lose to get in. Didn’t matter. I got blown out by 40 and the guy ahead of me cruised to an easy win. 
So no harm, really.

Oh well, back to Dalvin, how a five to seven spot will decimate me in a PPR league, and what it takes to trust a, um, football coach. Friday Night Lights always flirted with the politics of coaches, no wonder they're always lying, though lawyerly so.

not having a designation on the final injury report only means he will be active sunday... it doesnt mean he WONT be on a snap count or cede work to mattison... dont confuse not having a designation to mean he is healthy

Last edited by a moderator:
not having a designation on the final injury report only means he will be active sunday... it doesnt mean he WONT be on a snap count or cede work to mattison... dont confuse not having a designation to mean he is healthy
All true.

Unfortunately, and conversely, it doesn't mean he WILL be on a snap count or that he will cede any work to Mattison.....

Simply a worst-case scenario for owners of both players.

All true.

Unfortunately, and conversely, it doesn't mean he WILL be on a snap count or that he will cede any work to Mattison.....

Simply a worst-case scenario for owners of both players.
Yep this stinks. I have Jacobs too. And Lockett. Had a 200 point lead on the leagues next best team after week 11. See you guys next fall :lol:

Still feel like it could be coaches games, especially when they have a soft opponent and he can be rested for 3-4 quarters of the game and they should win easily. I might just pop in Devante Parker over him as a flex, at least then I will know they are playing.

huthut said:
Still feel like it could be coaches games, especially when they have a soft opponent and he can be rested for 3-4 quarters of the game and they should win easily. I might just pop in Devante Parker over him as a flex, at least then I will know they are playing.
See I understand this line of thinking, but this is not a #1 ranked college team going up against some cupcake college opponent they will beat 66-7. The Vikings NEED this game to stay in the playoff conversation--especially with the Bears getting hot. Thielen is out--so they are going to need the running game. This isn't like a team that has clinched something and can afford to rest their stars. 

Cook has been my RB1 all year and there is no way I get cute now and bench him. The only situation I see him getting rested is the Vikes get a defensive score or two and this changes the game flow. 

Unless new news breaks, you have to start Cook.  Th question is how valuable is Matteson?  With a chest injury, Matteson would be a great short yardage guy this week.  WOndering if he's worth a flex.

See I understand this line of thinking, but this is not a #1 ranked college team going up against some cupcake college opponent they will beat 66-7. The Vikings NEED this game to stay in the playoff conversation--especially with the Bears getting hot. Thielen is out--so they are going to need the running game. This isn't like a team that has clinched something and can afford to rest their stars. 

Cook has been my RB1 all year and there is no way I get cute now and bench him. The only situation I see him getting rested is the Vikes get a defensive score or two and this changes the game flow. 
Pretty much agree with all of this. I really don’t understand how people believe the Vikings can look past this game and sit Cook. 

That said, I still believe the real issue with Cook will be his ball security with the injury. 

I’m definitely starting him but as we inch closer to kickoff I find myself also flexing mattison. Over the likes of John Brown, Christian Kirk, bilal powell.. keep flip flopping it’s driving me crazy. Just keep thinking about what happened to Conner although that was a different injury. 

Gotta roll with him right?
Yep. Nothing out there saying Cook is going to be limited so even for those who have Mattison, we have nothing to assume Cook won't be the lead back.

This is one of those cross your fingers and hope for the best while knowing you did the best with the info available.

Has there been any visual feedback on warmups yet?
(might not be able to discerne anything since this is an upper body injury.....but thought i'd ask)

At this point I am more concerned defenders will target his shoulder and knock him out of the game early.
I don't like the comment for its implications, but for its wisdom. If you watched other teams tackle Josh Jacobs, like they just did in a montage on the NFL Network, like lod001 said, you can bet their ### they will and are. And they know which one, too, because he went down twice.  

Not saying you are wrong but I highly doubt it.  It's a bang-bang play. 
I won't say you're wrong other, because you're indeed correct about the speed and limited target space at which a tackle has to happen in order to be effective, but once they hold him up...?  

I won't say you're wrong other, because you're indeed correct about the speed and limited target space at which a tackle has to happen in order to be effective, but once they hold him up...?  
I can agree with that part.  I just don;t think it's a huge factor.  

I've been running a co-workers ESPN redraft team for her since week 1 and have no right to be in the second round of the playoffs right now. She knew nothing about football or fantasy and had to live draft a team in the room with the rest of her league (friend group, mostly dudes who wanted her money). 

I've been promised a nice chunk of change if I can win her the prize money and bragging rights. 

:ptts:  I know, but all this is to say that I'm a major underdog today against the #1 seed who is starting Dalvin Cook....so I'm thinking of starting Mattison in the flez as a boom/bust attempt at a massive point swing. 

Betting on an injury? Considering the bizarre way in which this has come to pass, I wouldn't blame you. 

That said, I'm not as sold on Mattison as most. He reminds me of Marion Barber (albeit, a better version of Marion Barber) the year Matt Forte went down around Week Eleven or Twelve for Chicago after dominating the year. 

Betting on an injury? Considering the bizarre way in which this has come to pass, I wouldn't blame you. 

That said, I'm not as sold on Mattison as most. He reminds me of Marion Barber (albeit, a better version of Marion Barber) the year Matt Forte went down around Week Eleven or Twelve for Chicago after dominating the year. 

It's such a desperate situation that yeah it's basically a bet that the game gets comfortable enough that they don't need to risk Cook, or a hit takes him out early. Or Mattison takes high impact GL carries. Any of those boom/bust scenarios I guess. 

I haven't fully decided yet but the time is now and it feels higher upside (especially facing Cook) than just hoping Ekeler scores another TD on a small workload.

I like him in DFS due to his price, but I wouldn't want to rely on him in the playoffs (of course I am a Cook owner  :devil: )

It's sush a desperate situation that yeah it's basically a bet that the game gets comfortable enough that they don't need to risk Cook, or a hit takes him out early. Or Mattison takes high impact GL carries. Any of those boom/bust scenarios I guess. 

I haven't fully decided yet but the time is now and it feels higher upside (especially facing Cook) than just hoping Ekeler scores another TD on a small workload.
Yeah, I almost never criticize decisions around here cause who knows, really? I was just shooting the breeze. 

I can see your point: It's always tough to count on fantasy scoring maintenance based upon smaller workloads and receipt of the ball in positions on the field not generally conducive to TDs.

See, even though WR1s this year: Godwin, Chris and Chark, DJ

They both fell off a bit and were predicted to have done so by those two aforementioned factors alone.  

Users who are viewing this thread