What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (2 Viewers)

PBS newscaster Gwen Ifill has died.

Ifill, 61, had been battling cancer.
Republicans first shot across the bow

Sucks to lose [her], I was a big fan of Gwen's work, despite her reporting from a news set that looked to be set 50 years in the past.

Wow she's been hanging on for a long time now too
the last time i saw her was on an episode of "Late Night" with Conan his first season. Chris Eigeman was promoting the Whit Stillman film "Barcelona" and she kept correcting their pronunciation of the title. She was using the correct Catalan pronunciation over and over again. It was awesome.

Damn. The first book I remember reading as a kid with my Mom. Had a stuffed rabbit called Hazel that I carried around.

RIP
Yea...this is the first book I remember being read to me in school in the 3rd grade.   Just saw the teacher of that class at my dad's funeral about a year ago.  I told him I remembered him reading that book to us.   

Joe Michener 53 years old. IT guy were I work. Decent guy.

To add even more sadness to the situation. Joe's mother upon hearing the news of her son, also had a hear attack and died.

I'll never understand the "OOOOOMG DAMN YOU 2016 JUST DAMN YOUIUU WORST YEAR EVER" people on Facebook.  Such nerds. Some rich and famous person I've never met dies and I'm going to get all upset about it?  I generally sort of don't give a crap. I guess it would be a bummer if like some incredible musician I love died in his prime in some tragic way and so I wouldn't get to hear whatever new records he was working on.  But like, some guy like Prince who probably lived pretty hard dies at 60 and I'm supposed to freak out?

2016: you were just fine. The appropriate number of famous people died. It's ok. 

Sincerely,

the voice of reason

I'll never understand the "OOOOOMG DAMN YOU 2016 JUST DAMN YOUIUU WORST YEAR EVER" people on Facebook.  Such nerds. Some rich and famous person I've never met dies and I'm going to get all upset about it?  I generally sort of don't give a crap. I guess it would be a bummer if like some incredible musician I love died in his prime in some tragic way and so I wouldn't get to hear whatever new records he was working on.  But like, some guy like Prince who probably lived pretty hard dies at 60 and I'm supposed to freak out?

2016: you were just fine. The appropriate number of famous people died. It's ok. 

Sincerely,

the voice of reason
Not all people are self obsessed jaded cynics.

Bowie and Prince in the same year is fairly remarkable. These were 2 A grade talents. I think I saw that 1970 or 71 was the last year that so many premier talents were lost. It wasnt just that they were the best, it was the suddenness. These artists reminded people of happier times in their own lives or even just a happy memory or 2. 

I admit to being fairly cynical myself about the subject, but in recent years the deaths of Robin Williams, David Bowie and Prince really did hit me hard. 

Not all people are self obsessed jaded cynics.

Bowie and Prince in the same year is fairly remarkable. These were 2 A grade talents. I think I saw that 1970 or 71 was the last year that so many premier talents were lost. It wasnt just that they were the best, it was the suddenness. These artists reminded people of happier times in their own lives or even just a happy memory or 2. 

I admit to being fairly cynical myself about the subject, but in recent years the deaths of Robin Williams, David Bowie and Prince really did hit me hard. 
Yeah David Bowie a complete stranger I never met dying at 70 years old was really hard on me. I just laid in bed for days. Not because I'm self obsessed. But because NOOOOOO it's just Nooot faaaaaaair 

Sincerely,

the voice of reason
I dunno.  Sure seemed to be alot more deaths than normal.  I agree people freaking out about it is dumb, but that was a whole lotta death last year.

Users who are viewing this thread