What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (5 Viewers)

Oh man - the great Dr is gone.  Last time I saw him was at Jazzfest and he played before Tom Petty - which was the last time I saw him. This is getting sad for those that love the great city of New Orleans - so many icons are falling lately and we need some new greatness to step forth. The city always knows how.

A couple of favorites

Goin Back to New Orleans  - one of the songs I play as I make the drive across I-10 into Mississippi knowing I'll be livin it up in a few minutes.

And of course his Epic - Walk on Gilded Splinters

This seems appropriate - https://youtu.be/C5eD_pmDIvI
Saw him twice. Once with the Lower 9/11 and once, as he would say, All By Hisself. Both amazing shows. Trippin’ Live is probably my favorite live album. 

Oh man - the great Dr is gone.  Last time I saw him was at Jazzfest and he played before Tom Petty - which was the last time I saw him. This is getting sad for those that love the great city of New Orleans - so many icons are falling lately and we need some new greatness to step forth. The city always knows how.

A couple of favorites

Goin Back to New Orleans  - one of the songs I play as I make the drive across I-10 into Mississippi knowing I'll be livin it up in a few minutes.

And of course his Epic - Walk on Gilded Splinters

This seems appropriate - https://youtu.be/C5eD_pmDIvI
His Iko Iko is on every driving and celebration playlist I’ve made for a decade. 

wOw - i can't find ANY youtube footage of the original Medicine Show. African village set, delicately-clad voodoo priestesses - hey nah ma ma ya ya - the Night Tripper in deerskin and janglies, full makeup & giant headress. never broke character, always the Doctor or the Tripper. year after year, that was the touring show and now, not only isnt in the culture, i cant find archaeological evidence?!

wOw - i can't find ANY youtube footage of the original Medicine Show. African village set, delicately-clad voodoo priestesses - hey nah ma ma ya ya - the Night Tripper in deerskin and janglies, full makeup & giant headress. never broke character, always the Doctor or the Tripper. year after year, that was the touring show and now, not only isnt in the culture, i cant find archaeological evidence?!
https://youtu.be/_rTqiSxtqao

ETA - found another old one - not the greatest of recordings - https://youtu.be/9DPqhetkWXw

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. The Dr - RIP. 😢

My fav song of his is actually hard to find online. It is an extended version of Sweet Home New Orleans released after Hurricane Katrina on Sippiana Hericane.

This is the closest I have linked:

Sweet Home New Orleans

The Sippiana version is 8:13 --- by extending the end and extra 2 plus mins:

Home, sweet home

And, it adds in some new lines about the city rebuilding. I first heard it on NPR after release. It touches me.

one year anniversary of losing this brilliant bastid   :kicksrock:

ran across thiswhich was his last public sit/innerview - very interesting stuff here, love the fact that he was willing to step out his box, with humility, and was receptive to all he encountered.  my friends from the Tribe would say he was a real Mensch ... one of the greatest New York souls of my lifetime. 

fare thee well in those Parts Unknown, chef  :hifive:

ran across thiswhich was his last public sit/innerview - very interesting stuff here, love the fact that he was willing to step out his box, with humility, and was receptive to all he encountered.  my friends from the Tribe would say he was a real Mensch ... one of the greatest New York souls of my lifetime. 

No ess....I LOVED him in life.  This video just gave me chills and made me appreciate him more than ever.  Thank you.  Wish he'd had felt the same hope he gave me every time I watched him.

Those are actually the same clip, just at different times. I found some stuff telling about the interview and response, but will keep this an RIP thread. 

Those are actually the same clip, just at different times
was a method to my madness there - i figured some might not wanna sit through the whole 9 minutes or so, ergo, i clipped the part where he starts about West Virginia, and placed it afterwards ... this way if someone did eschew the entire clip, and missing that part in the process, well ... i got 'em on the second clicky - it was the definite highlight for me, really drives home the "Mensch" shtick i laid down earlier.  

No ess....I LOVED him in life.  This video just gave me chills and made me appreciate him more than ever.  Thank you.  Wish he'd had felt the same hope he gave me every time I watched him.
me n' you both  :hifive:

ya know ... the Dos Equis guy had the title in the commercial, but Bourdain really was the most interesting man alive - and it was by a comfortable margin, imo. 

he elevated those journeys of his to gargantuan pop culture royalty status by virtue of his commanding personality - he wasn't just some schlub along for the ride , he was the ride. 

easily a top icon of my lifetime, that's for damn sure. 

was a method to my madness there - i figured some might not wanna sit through the whole 9 minutes or so, ergo, i clipped the part where he starts about West Virginia, and placed it afterwards ... this way if someone did eschew the entire clip, and missing that part in the process, well ... i got 'em on the second clicky - it was the definite highlight for me, really drives home the "Mensch" shtick i laid down earlier.  

me n' you both  :hifive:

ya know ... the Dos Equis guy had the title in the commercial, but Bourdain really was the most interesting man alive - and it was by a comfortable margin, imo. 

he elevated those journeys of his to gargantuan pop culture royalty status by virtue of his commanding personality - he wasn't just some schlub along for the ride , he was the ride. 

easily a top icon of my lifetime, that's for damn sure. 
Until he became the ship...

New Orleans took another hit this weekend losing 2 great performers

Lil Buck Sinegal - Blues guitar player, Zydeco player with the likes of Clifton Chenier and Buckwheat Zydeco. A player in a lot of New Orleans and Lafayette bands as well as his own.

https://youtu.be/7DRZ6uO4b1c

And Spencer Bohren - who I just saw take a farewell bow at Jazzfest - he was suffering from cancer. Was a dusty day. 

Wrote probably the best post Katrina song of anyone

Long Black Line- take a listen - very haunting

And I always enjoyed this little documentary - Down the Dirt Road Blues

Italian movie director Franco Zeffirelli died at age 96.

He's best known for highbrow film adaptations of opera and Shakespeare.  You probably had to watch his version of Romeo and Juliet in high school, unless the curriculum has changed.  He also directed Endless Love with a young Brooke Shields and the Mel Gibson version of Hamlet.

Italian movie director Franco Zeffirelli died at age 96.

He's best known for highbrow film adaptations of opera and Shakespeare.  You probably had to watch his version of Romeo and Juliet in high school, unless the curriculum has changed.  He also directed Endless Love with a young Brooke Shields and the Mel Gibson version of Hamlet.
The one with the teenage nudity? :bag:

She was Truman Capote's inspiration for Holly Golightly.
Interesting - wasn't aware of that. GV wasn't bad on the eyes in her heyday, but she was no Audrey Hepburn. Of course, few were.
Holly Golightly was a composite of several different women -- Vanderbilt was one of them, but Capote would never confirm if she was the primary inspiration.

Her instagram account (created when she was 93 years old!) was a good follow. Her posts conveyed intelligence, thoughtfulness, and class.

Holly Golightly was a composite of several different women -- Vanderbilt was one of them, but Capote would never confirm if she was the primary inspiration.

Here instagram account (created when she was 93 years old!) was a good follow. Her posts conveyed intelligence, thoughtfulness, and class.
i believe Oona O'Neil (daughter of the playwright, gf of Salinger, wife of Chaplin, mother of Geraldine) was another

Here instagram account (created when she was 93 years old!) was a good follow. Her posts conveyed intelligence, thoughtfulness, and class.
i believe Oona O'Neil (daughter of the playwright, gf of Salinger, wife of Chaplin, mother of Geraldine) was another
Yep. And O'Neill and Vanderbilt were friends who frequented the same high society parties with Capote. Another friend (Carol Marcus, who later married Walter Matthau) was also part of the composite, as was Capote's own mother (who had the same bumpkin-to-wannabe-socialite arc that Holly did).

I'd like to kick the inspiration for Mr. Yunioshi, or at least whoever inspired Mickey Rooney's portrayal of the character.

Yep. And O'Neill and Vanderbilt were friends who frequented the same high society parties with Capote. Another friend (Carol Marcus, who later married Walter Matthau) was also part of the composite, as was Capote's own mother (who had the same bumpkin-to-wannabe-socialite arc that Holly did).
have you read about my B@T sequel (movie, not book) on these pgs?

have you read about my B@T sequel (movie, not book) on these pgs?
Yes. Not sure if I'm down with the idea of Fred and Holly getting married. Holly can be a mom, but she can't be a wife.

DJ and producer Philippe Zdar from Cassius fell out of a window in Paris and died.

Cassius had their share of bangers but he's probably best known as a producer.  He worked on albums by Phoenix, The Rapture, Cut Copy, Franz Ferdinand and Kanye West.  A new Cassius record drops (pun intended) tomorrow as well as the new Hot Chip album which he produced.

One of the obits I read captured his style perfectly by saying he combined heavy bass with a light touch.

Users who are viewing this thread