What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (2 Viewers)

Rip Jim Bouton, ball four plus ball five was one of my favorite reads.
Ball Four began ClickbaitWorld, really. The first time i remember a behind-the-scenes, emperor-has-no-clothes, tell-all piece of media. He did such an uncanny job of making the locker room feel so real that, soon, every writer in the land was looking to get behind the curtain on something. Great book, even for a Yankee. RIP -

Ball Four began ClickbaitWorld, really. The first time i remember a behind-the-scenes, emperor-has-no-clothes, tell-all piece of media. He did such an uncanny job of making the locker room feel so real that, soon, every writer in the land was looking to get behind the curtain on something. Great book, even for a Yankee. RIP -
Sports-wise, North Dallas Forty comes to mind.

Rip Jim Bouton, ball four plus ball five was one of my favorite reads.
He was the first guy to ever publicize Mickey Mantle's wild lifestyle. Think about that for a second. Mantle had been in the public spotlight for nearly 20 years, all the players and most of the press knew about his drinking and womanizing, and yet there was a complete code of omertà. No one said a word. Not in the newspapers, not in the gossip rags, not in a radio interview, not even in a lighthearted manner on a TV talk show. Then Bouton comes along and just shatters the glass veil. And it wasn't even intentional -- Bouton was far more interested in telling other stories, and the stuff about Mantle was little more than an afterthought.

And ever since then, the private lives of public figure have been fair game.

El Floppo said:
was going to post this yesterday when they took her off life-support.
Hope no one in the hospital had the bad taste to say "Violet, you're turning violet, Violet." 

:bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rip 92yo Cesar Pelli, architect of super tall Petronas towers and NYCs world financial center...and many others. A huge figure in the world of architecture. 

Rutger Hauer not only crushed Blade Runner and in particular that tears in the rain scene but did you know he wrote that scene as well?  I remember an interview I saw, Whoopi Goldberg was interviewing him and he said they had this huge, long running dialogue at the end and (I'm paraphrasing here) but he said something like the dialogue went on and on, he couldn't remember all that, the scene had them getting soaked in water and he didn't want to sit there going over that take after take because he knew he couldn't remember all that so he just came up with something much more brief and to the point. 

Brilliant actor, sad to hear this, one of my favorites.

R.I.P. Roy Batty

Movie character & actor both dying in 2019.
Nice catch. Must mean he came to life in 2015.

Wiki page has some good quotes from both the director and writer of the story it was based on.

One role that was not difficult to cast was Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty, the violent yet thoughtful leader of the replicants. Ridley Scott cast Hauer without having met him. 

Hauer's portrayal of Batty was regarded by writer Philip K. **** as "the perfect Batty – cold, Aryan, flawless.

Although **** died shortly before the film's release, he was pleased with the rewritten script and with a 20-minute special effects test reel that was screened for him when he was invited to the studio. Despite his well-known skepticism of Hollywood in principle, **** enthused to Scott that the world created for the film looked exactly as he had imagined it. He said, "I saw a segment of Douglas Trumbull's special effects for Blade Runner on the KNBC-TV news. I recognized it immediately. It was my own interior world. They caught it perfectly." 

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the central characters in my all time favorite Simpsons episodes, "Bart of Darkness".

"More I say, more! Hang those who yeah of less!"

And the outro (nude) Martin version of "Summer Wind..." Classic.

RIP
i loved the episode where Martin becomes one of the troublemakers with Bart. Martin helps Bart study for some test while Bart teaches him to let loose. Martin was a favorite character of mine in those early seasons.

i loved the episode where Martin becomes one of the troublemakers with Bart. Martin helps Bart study for some test while Bart teaches him to let loose. Martin was a favorite character of mine in those early seasons.
Martins voice is outstanding.   Easily my favorite voice on the Simpsons.  

RIP Nick B -- also should be lauded for his advocacy of and fundraising for paralysis research. Many here know of Nick's son Marc's struggles, but I'm not sure how well known that is outside of sports fandom.

:pours one for Inside the NFL:
After 9/11, he was the person who was able to come in and host Inside the NFL.  He was dignified and comforting.  I was very grateful.

He was a lovely person.

Users who are viewing this thread