What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (3 Viewers)

RIP Toni Morrison.  Author of Beloved.
Don't know how to commemorate one of the most important literary voices of our time, because i couldnt get into her work and am a staunch opponent of the Oprahpriation of our culture of which i associate her being a part. But a lot of words are thrown around on pages throughout the land and the rarest & most valuable of those are the ones that make a reader feel "Yes........yes........YESSSS!!!! - someone is FINALLY connecting me to this world and this world with me", and i know Professor Morrison served that function for perhaps more people than any American writer of this generation. Brava!! RIP -

Don't know how to commemorate one of the most important literary voices of our time, because i couldnt get into her work and am a staunch opponent of the Oprahpriation of our culture of which i associate her being a part. But a lot of words are thrown around on pages throughout the land and the rarest & most valuable of those are the ones that make a reader feel "Yes........yes........YESSSS!!!! - someone is FINALLY connecting me to this world and this world with me", and i know Professor Morrison served that function for perhaps more people than any American writer of this generation. Brava!! RIP -
Yeah, I think I wrote an anti-Beloved screed in the books thread a year or two ago.  But I have to appreciate how impactful she, and her writing, was to so many people.  

David Berman died a couple days ago.  Never heard of him before today but he popped up in my FB feed.  Such a talent, so sad...

Psychopav said:
David Berman died a couple days ago.  Never heard of him before today but he popped up in my FB feed.  Such a talent, so sad...
With all the music aficionados around here, I was surprised he hadn’t merited a mention.  I have a book of his poetry in addition to loving his music.  He was a sad, sad guy, so I’m fearful it was a suicide.

Psychopav said:
Whoa.  He just released an album too. Really enjoyed the songs I heard from it.  Man... 😢 

With all the music aficionados around here, I was surprised he hadn’t merited a mention.  I have a book of his poetry in addition to loving his music.  He was a sad, sad guy, so I’m fearful it was a suicide.
A few of us discussed him in the 2019 album thread. 

So damn sad about this one. He was one of my favorite lyricists writing today and his new album from this year is fantastic. 

RIP

So damn sad about this one. He was one of my favorite lyricists writing today and his new album from this year is fantastic. 

RIP
Yeah, that's where you'd find mention of his passing on this board. My friend was lamenting him on social media the other day. I had no idea he'd reached that far into the ether. RIP.

I'd read some articles about him because of the 2019 thread and the new release. Seemed sort of doomed, all things considered. That's not an attempt to speak ill of the dead; it just didn't sound promising for him. 
Yeah. His current terrible state of being is pretty directly reflected in multiple songs on the new album. So sad. 

RIP
Yeah, I’ve never been in that thread, and I meant, of course, that I was surprised no one had mentioned him in this thread, since it seems like everyone gets mentioned here.  I’m glad to hear that he was discussed!

The book of poetry I have is called “Actual Air,” and I recommend it highly if you’re a fan of his lyrics and haven’t already checked it out.  He might have other compilations, too.  

This is definitely a sad one.

His filmography pales in comparison to his father and sister but Peter is the only one who can say he helped revolutionize the movies.
And irritated the Beatles enough to write a song about his crap.
There's a semi-legitimate argument to be made that Peter Fonda is to blame for the breakup of the Beatles. Everything was fine until John wrote a song about him and Paul stormed out of the studio and refused to play on it.

Revolutionized bicycles - after Easy Rider came out nearly ever kid had a banana bike with fork extensions and a sissy bar. We spent all summer working on our bikes to get them all Easy Rider cool.
I always thought the 5-speed variety hit the sweet spot, with bubblegum cigarettes.

his monologues/musings were a tad too sophisticated for a young fella like myself back in the day ... i do remember him weeping tears of joy and wonder after Secreteriat's gargantuan Belmont score - that made me take notice as a 4 yr old - my dad explained why, and it was one of those transcendent moments that punctuate my earliest memories - dude could wax poetic about a meaningless mid November game between two winless teams, out in a driving rain - could paint a hopeless scenario such as that into having you believe you were watching the Super Bowl ...

Defford tried to pick up the mantle, and did well enough, i suppose ... but Whitaker will always be the Gold standard - a Gentleman.  with Class. 

Users who are viewing this thread