What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (1 Viewer)

Diahann Carroll has died at age 84

Diahann Carroll, the captivating singer and actress who came from the Bronx to win a Tony Award, receive an Oscar nomination and make television history with her turns on Julia and Dynasty, died Friday. She was 84.

Carroll died at her home in Los Angeles after a long bout with cancer, her daughter, producer-journalist Suzanne Kay, told The Hollywood Reporter.

Carroll was known as a Las Vegas and nightclub performer and for her performances on Broadway and in the Hollywood musicals Carmen Jones and Porgy & Bess when she was approached by an NBC executive to star as Julia Baker, a widowed nurse raising a young son, on the comedy Julia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful & substantial & sweet - really the first black woman my generation could see as just another person. Somebody's wife, mom, neighbor, boss. That's probably a hella bigger achievement than she gets credit for. I salute you, Miss Carroll. RIP -
Yeah. A very beautiful woman who actually had to be talked into doing Diana and was IIRC considered "too glamourous" for such a role.

Beautiful & substantial & sweet - really the first black woman my generation could see as just another person. Somebody's wife, mom, neighbor, boss. That's probably a hella bigger achievement than she gets credit for. I salute you, Miss Carroll. RIP -
My "Hot lady list" as a kid in the late 60s:

Diahann Carol, Lena Horne, Rachel Welch, Sophia Loren, Ginger, and TV's Catwoman.  

My "Hot lady list" as a kid in the late 60s:

Diahann Carol, Lena Horne, Rachel Welch, Sophia Loren, Ginger, and TV's Catwoman.  
it was Bardot........................................................................................................and everybody else for me. I liked Honey West and Ann Margret and Fonda and Welch, but i knew Brigitte was all about the secks before i even knew what the secks was. When i was 4, we lived in a married students dorm at UVM and, all summer, a neighbor girl named Sara Jane (she's a physician not 10 minutes from there these days) used to drag me to the gardener's shed, tear me down to the nekkids and rub up on and squish me. I just knew that Miss Bardot also dragged & tore & rubbed & squished boys and liked it very much and was very good at it, and i didn't actually sense that w anybody else............cept maybe Don Knotts.

wikkidpissah said:
it was Bardot........................................................................................................and everybody else for me. I liked Honey West and Ann Margret and Fonda and Welch, but i knew Brigitte was all about the secks before i even knew what the secks was. When i was 4, we lived in a married students dorm at UVM and, all summer, a neighbor girl named Sara Jane (she's a physician not 10 minutes from there these days) used to drag me to the gardener's shed, tear me down to the nekkids and rub up on and squish me. I just knew that Miss Bardot also dragged & tore & rubbed & squished boys and liked it very much and was very good at it, and i didn't actually sense that w anybody else............cept maybe Don Knotts.
I used to watch old foreign movies with the sound off just to look at Brigitte Bardot. 

But as usual, your story is much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Servo said:
Well, damn.

I was in 2nd-3rd grade when Julia was on, and my 2nd grade teacher looked just like Carroll - in my mind, anyway. In retrospect my teacher was probably 8 or 10 years younger and I doubt she really looked like Diahann. But she was the first black woman I "knew" who wasn't in a then-traditional role (my school system had only recently fully desegregated when I entered it & there weren't a lot of professional roles for black women). So, my 7 year-old pea brain conflated these two women to the point where I hollered out "Julia!" to my teacher when I was excited to answer one of her questions. I'll never forget how she looked at me and said "Billy, why did you call me Julia?". I didn't realize why she was asking me that then, but I know to this day I was afraid that I had done something wrong. I flashed back to it several years later and wanted to crawl into a hole when I realized what she must have been thinking. I don't think I ever did know that teacher's first name.

Figured it was any day now, but damn. :(

That leaves us only Clapton from the legendary trio.
Cream has a really weird legacy. Many hip rock critics of the time used them as a low bar when reviewing other bands. Then, I can recall in the '70s & '80s that they were in the pantheon of great Boomer bands. Then, they weren't..... then they were, etc.....

I think, now with 50 years of hindsight and listening to their records, they were more influential than they were good. All three were insanely talented but their albums were wildly uneven (probably not the band's fault, but they are saddled with it). The 6 or 8 radio hits they had are, by far, their best. 

And some of their influence was done much better by acts that directly followed them (Hendrix, Allmans). 

All three were insanely talented but their albums were wildly uneven (probably not the band's fault, but they are saddled with it).  
Agree 100% here. Their albums were a bit uneven - Disraeli Gears was the closest to hitting on all cylinders, but even that one had a bit of filler. Where Ginger and his cohorts were at their best is live, when they could stretch out and embrace the incredible chemistry, without the shackles of having to fill a pop album.Their live performance at Royal Album Hall in 1968 is a great example (it’s on YouTube).

But I digress - RIP again to one of the great rock drummers of all time.

a neighbor girl named Sara Jane (she's a physician not 10 minutes from there these days) used to drag me to the gardener's shed, tear me down to the nekkids and rub up on and squish me. I just knew that Miss Bardot also dragged & tore & rubbed & squished boys and liked it very much and was very good at it, and i didn't actually sense that w anybody else.
Wikkid has a way of telling a story... :lmao:

Figured it was any day now, but damn. :(

That leaves us only Clapton from the legendary trio.
Read some stuff over the weekend on him.  many tributes to Ginger Baker the drummer, not many to Ginger Baker the human being.   Not a very likable guy apparently.

Don Quixote said:
One of my favorite Forster roles is in Alligator, a 1980 low budget horror movie about giant alligator who terrorizes the Chicago sewers.  Forster plays a world-weary (what else) detective who deadpans his way through the film.  It has a great cast including Henry Silva, Academy Award winner Dean Jagger, the guy who played Frank Pentangeli, Jack Carter as the Mayor and Kubrick's Lolita Sue Lyon in her last credited role.

There's a low res but watchable print on YouTube.  Roger Ebert only gave it one star but he's dead and wrong.

One of my favorite Forster roles is in Alligator, a 1980 low budget horror movie about giant alligator who terrorizes the Chicago sewers.  Forster plays a world-weary (what else) detective who deadpans his way through the film.  It has a great cast including Henry Silva, Academy Award winner Dean Jagger, the guy who played Frank Pentangeli, Jack Carter as the Mayor and Kubrick's Lolita Sue Lyon in her last credited role.

There's a low res but watchable print on YouTube.  Roger Ebert only gave it one star but he's dead and wrong.
Didn't John Sayles  - Matewan, Brother from Another Planet, Lone Star, Sunshine State, Secret of  Roan Inish, among others - write the script for this?

Didn't John Sayles  - Matewan, Brother from Another Planet, Lone Star, Sunshine State, Secret of  Roan Inish, among others - write the script for this?
Yes.  Sayles also wrote The Howling, which after re-watching Alligator is a better film.

Users who are viewing this thread