What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (3 Viewers)

"If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."

I know he's quoting somebody else there in Jacobs ladder, but always the first thing I think of for him. (Also used in that UNKLE song). Rip

I actually "met" Danny Aiello once, back in the day...sort of.  He approached a chick I was attending art school with while a few of us where out doing life drawing sessions/getting lunch.  He sang to her in Italian for a few moments while cupping her face, then walked off.  She was shuked.  I'm pretty sure he was at least a little buzzed.  Will never forget it, or him.

Burt Williams, the founding winemaker of Williams Selyem Winery in Healdsburg who with his old-world techniques helped turn pinot noir into Sonoma County’s most coveted wine varietal, died Wednesday from complications from Parkinson’s disease. He was 79.

Williams was considered a pioneer in developing the balanced style of pinot noir from the Russian River Valley — not too jammy and not too lean in flavor — long before it became incredibly popular in the aftermath of the 2004 movie “Sideways.”

Along with partner Ed Selyem, Williams limited wine production to premier quality over profit. That business strategy helped spawn the creation of the winery’s coveted club waiting list, which now stands at nine months for new customers.

a legend in the industry. RIP

Sorry @rockaction

Anna Karina, one of the most beautiful, captivating faces in cinema, has passed.
She captivated me in my late twenties as I discovered French New Wave and was never more captivating or cheerlessly gendered and nihilistic than in Vivre Sa Vie. The way Godard saw modern women escaped many eyes and critical subtleties because of his technical skill; her life and marriage to him was evidence of their possible truth. But she was a woman of her own, often lamentably, and her life was her own to live.  

:(

RIP. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Ected said:
Is Anna the actress in that video, or the singer in the band? Great voice, played around with a couple other songs. 
Pretty sure she has nothing to do with the music- contemporary band took a segment from a 60s french new wave film for their video...but I'd be really interested to learn that I'm wrong.

Eta... And rip- rock is right- those ladies of the French new wave were uniquely gorgeous

Pretty sure she has nothing to do with the music- contemporary band took a segment from a 60s french new wave film for their video...but I'd be really interested to learn that I'm wrong.

Eta... And rip- rock is right- those ladies of the French new wave were uniquely gorgeous
And Catherine Denavue had a stroke last month as well. Hopefully she is recovering but that’s another talented gorgeous French icon there.

And Catherine Denavue had a stroke last month as well. Hopefully she is recovering but that’s another talented gorgeous French icon there.
Haven't heard that name in a long time. I remember she did a bunch of commercials for Chanel and this one.

Herman Boone - played by Denzel Washington in “Remember the Titans.” TC Williams about a mile from my house.

“Legendary football coach Herman Boone has died, confirmed by former TC Williams principal John Porter to the school today. Boone's success in the 1971 season following Alexandria's recently integrated school consolidation was documented in "Remember the Titans." Boone was 84.“

NASCAR legend Junior Johnson died at the age of 88.  He epitomized the growth of the sport from his bootlegger origins to a top driver in the 50s and 60s to a successful team owner of six Cup Series champions.

Johnson was the subject of Tom Wolfe's colorful 1965 essay The Last American Hero Is Junior Johnson. Yes!.  You wouldn't figure a white suited Yankee dandy could capture the essence of a good ol' boy like Junior but it's a terrific read.

NASCAR legend Junior Johnson died at the age of 88.  He epitomized the growth of the sport from his bootlegger origins to a top driver in the 50s and 60s to a successful team owner of six Cup Series champions.

Johnson was the subject of Tom Wolfe's colorful 1965 essay The Last American Hero Is Junior Johnson. Yes!.  You wouldn't figure a white suited Yankee dandy could capture the essence of a good ol' boy like Junior but it's a terrific read.
Started following NASCAR mid to late 70s through Dad. Became a fan of Darrell Waltrip - young, brash upcomer. He moved to a team owned by Junior Johnson & won 3 championships with him. Junior owned team but was also gas man! Anyway, for those not familiar with NASCAR history, this is like the passing of Paul Brown or Jim Thorpe - Junior is that integral to the birth of NASCAR.

Don Imus passed away. A bit racist, but Imus in the Morning was once part of my regular morning routine. Entertaining combo of politics, sports, and humor.

Don Imus passed away. A bit racist, but Imus in the Morning was once part of my regular morning routine. Entertaining combo of politics, sports, and humor.
RIP

Hadn't heard his name in probably a decade. I would have his show on while getting ready for work occasionally right around when the "nappy headed ho" comment got him canned.

He was pretty good on politics and mean to almost everyone equally from my memory. 

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that.  Funny, I was wondering whatever became of him after he went off the air.  I was a regular listener from the mid-1990's right up until his last waltz.  RIP Don Imus.  

I'm a radio guy. My uncle had phonograph records of old radio shows from Bob Hope to Amos & Andy to Fibber McGee & Molly to the oddest entertainment concept ever with "radio ventriloquist" Edgar Bergen to the Goons. Grew up on Bob & Ray and legendary storyteller Jean Shepherd. Started in radio doing commercials when i was 20, news @ 21, my own locally-syndicated comedy show @ 22-4.  Thru it all, i never heard a better broadcaster than Don Imus, and i aped every move he made when my own talent didn't suffice. He ran NYC in the 70s - more than Woody Allen, Ed Koch, Andy Warhol & Lorne Michaels combined. You just weren't in touch w the city unless you heard his drive time show, no matter which end of the day you heard it on and every radio guy & gal for the last 40 years owes what they do to him as much as the late nite TV guys owe Carson & Letterman. I raised money for his children's ranch in the Pecos every year i lived in New Mexico and turned down the many chances i had to meet him out of an awe unlike i've ever felt for another human being (and i've been friendly w Jimmy Carter, Tom Hanks & Keith Richards in my time). Thank you for making what you did of your life, Mr. Imus - i'll mourn your passing as i've mourned your exile. RIP -

Sue Lyon who played Lolita in Kubrick's adaptation of Nabokov's novel died at age 73.   She was 16 when she made Lolita but her career fizzled pretty quickly afterwards.

NASCAR legend Junior Johnson died at the age of 88. 
Auto racing lost another huge contributor this month 

Bill Simpson 

https://racer.com/2019/12/16/racer-and-safety-pioneer-bill-simpson-dies-at-79/

He was a driver but was better known for his safety equipment. He developed the parachutes used by drag racers and fire proof driver suits (with help from his friend astronaut Pete Conrad) among many other things that saved lives and serious injuries. Also put Rick Mears in Rick’s first Indy Car.

Sue Lyon who played Lolita in Kubrick's adaptation of Nabokov's novel died at age 73.   She was 16 when she made Lolita but her career fizzled pretty quickly afterwards.
Don't stand so close to me
Loose talk in the classroom
To hurt they try and try
Strong words in the staffroom
The accusations fly
It's no use
He sees her
He starts to shake he starts to cough
Just like the old man in
That famous book by Nabakov

Neil Innes of The Rutles.
Dayum, my comedy roots are keeling over bigtime here with Imus & Innes. Monstrous fan of Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band - basically the musical equivalent of Monty Python - their best-of record is still in my rotation. While the enormous personage of Viv Stanshall dominated the performances, Innes was behind virtually every idea, the can-do guy for the Bonzos, Pythons (musically) & Rutles. As a person of singular inspirations, the can-do guys have always been the MVPs of my public existence and Neil Innes, Esq was among the very best of those. RIP -

Dayum, my comedy roots are keeling over bigtime here with Imus & Innes. Monstrous fan of Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band - basically the musical equivalent of Monty Python - their best-of record is still in my rotation. While the enormous personage of Viv Stanshall dominated the performances, Innes was behind virtually every idea, the can-do guy for the Bonzos, Pythons (musically) & Rutles. As a person of singular inspirations, the can-do guys have always been the MVPs of my public existence and Neil Innes, Esq was among the very best of those. RIP -
I didn't know Death Cab For Cutie got their name from one of Bonzo's songs.

I didn't know Death Cab For Cutie got their name from one of Bonzo's songs.
yep.

listening thru Bonzo oeuvre this morning, i'm startled by how many satirical fetishes i've stolen from them over the years. they were sort of the musical ombudsmen of the British Invasion, keeping everyone on their toes. in this pre-Rutles, New Year's-themed ditty, they let Lennono know they'd crossed the line.

Users who are viewing this thread