Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Good Posting Judge

______ Passed Away Today, RIP

2 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

That's when you take an audio recording and artificially increase the volume level so that every aspect of it (including the quiet parts) play at the maximum level. It makes a recording sound loud and distorted, and it cuts off certain frequencies. There was a time (in the late '90s/early 2000s) when many people in the music industry -- even well-respected sound engineers -- thought it was a great idea. But there has been a lot of backlash since then and the industry finally realized that "loud" doesn't necessarily mean "good".

That is a good summation, but many in the industry have not figured it out, as far too many records are still being released that are brickwalled too much.  Clockwork Angels is from 2012 and was really bad in that regard.  The issue with albums that are brickwalled is you get ear fatigue when listening to a few songs, and while great sounding recordings with good dynamic range sound great when you crank it up, brickwalled stuff gets worse at louder volumes.  It gets to where even songs and albums I really like (in spite of the sound) don't get much time in my CD player because it's more frustrating than enjoyable to listen. 

Oh yeah, when you look at Rush's first 15 albums, they all sounded (at worst) really good, even the ones like Hold Your Fire and Presto that were products of their time, but then Test for Echo sounded a bit muddy, and then all three albums they released in the 21st century had sound issues (Vapor Trails was loud and noisy, Snakes & Arrows sounded too dry and lacked any real personality, Clockwork Angels sounded brickwalled to the max).  Albums like 2112, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Counterparts all sound incredible, especially when you crank them up. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 8:50 AM, Ghost Rider said:

Oh yeah, when you look at Rush's first 15 albums, they all sounded (at worst) really good, even the ones like Hold Your Fire and Presto that were products of their time, but then Test for Echo sounded a bit muddy, and then all three albums they released in the 21st century had sound issues (Vapor Trails was loud and noisy, Snakes & Arrows sounded too dry and lacked any real personality, Clockwork Angels sounded brickwalled to the max).  Albums like 2112, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Counterparts all sound incredible, especially when you crank them up. 

Terry Brown has to be credited for at least some of the better produced albums.

Brown produced every album by the band from Fly by Night (1975) up to Signals (1982).

• Like 3

All around SE PA, the electronic billboards along the highway are cycling through their ads.  And one of them is a picture of the Rush drummer and it says something like "Hail to the King" or what not.  

Not sure if this is something nationwide or just in SE PA.  Either way, I'm confused.  Wasn't the guy Canadian?  

33 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

All around SE PA, the electronic billboards along the highway are cycling through their ads.  And one of them is a picture of the Rush drummer and it says something like "Hail to the King" or what not.  

Not sure if this is something nationwide or just in SE PA.  Either way, I'm confused.  Wasn't the guy Canadian?  

Right.  Which means he could be king...I think.

59 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Right.  Which means he could be king...I think.

Just wasn't sure why billboards in SE PA are mourning his death.  

20 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Just wasn't sure why billboards in SE PA are mourning his death.  

What else is there to do in Upper Darby?

19 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

What else is there to do in Upper Darby?

Or King of Prussia. 

12 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

Or King of Prussia. 

KOP.  That's where I work.

36 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

R.I.P. former pro wrestler Rocky Johnson, father of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

I really loved the episode of That 70's Show where The Rock got to play his father.  That was cool.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:36 AM, TheIronSheik said:

Why does it matter that he was Canadian? 

Would you quibble about Paul McCartney being from England if he died and was given similar treatment? 

8 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Why does it matter that he was Canadian? 

Would you quibble about Paul McCartney being from England if he died and was given similar treatment? 

I think you're missing what I'm saying.  I'm just wondering why a billboard along the side of a road in SE PA is honoring him.  Like did someone pay for that?  I've seen a lot of famous people die over the years and none have popped up on the local billboards around here.  That's all I'm saying. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I think you're missing what I'm saying.  I'm just wondering why a billboard along the side of a road in SE PA is honoring him.  Like did someone pay for that?  I've seen a lot of famous people die over the years and none have popped up on the local billboards around here.  That's all I'm saying. 

Just wait until one of the Hooters passes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Yes, someone paid for the billboard.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Were they tall?

35 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

A very vital sign.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Nobody made a big deal when Paul died in 1966.  The Beatles just buried Paul, hired a lookalike and went on making great music.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

RIP Terry Jones. You made me laugh so much. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

33 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

One of my favorites of the troupe. 

• Like 2

One of my favorite Terry Jones skits, with two departed legends. (Jones and Chapman.)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2rovw3

It splits my gut when Chapman hails a cab, and then Jones starts meticulously looking around the immediate area.

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Osaurus said:

I'd like to imagine that somewhere, right now, someone is fetching him The Comfy Chair.

• Like 2

wOw - my comedy icons are dropping like flies. Imus, Innes, Buck Henry & now the most underrated Python, Terry Jones. wOw. 

but there is one aspect of Terry Jones's career which is non-parreil - his pantomime at the 5:30 point of Owl-Stretching Time is the best in the history of television and as good as any of the silent-film greats. RIP -

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Planters' mascot Mr. Peanut is dead. However he may be reincarnated during the Super Bowl. 

And to think the monocle was just about to make a comeback.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Planters' mascot Mr. Peanut is dead. However he may be reincarnated during the Super Bowl. 

Holy cow.  Are we actually going to get some FUNNY Super Bowl commercials this year?  I feel like it's been decades since we've had funny commercials.  Sad and woke have been the mantra of late.  Remember that one insurance commercial with the dead kids?  Jesus.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:

Probably for the best at his age (104) as friends close to him said in recent years that he was just a shell of himself.

• Sad 2

Wow.  Mr R was watching the Rockets game.  They announced it when they came back from commercial.  

Wikipedia says his daughter was with him.  How awful.

On 1/22/2020 at 10:56 AM, Walking Boot said:

From Ad Age

Planters paused its Super Bowl campaign centered around the fictitious Mr. Peanut’s death following the deaths of Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and seven others in a helicopter crash.

As of Monday, it remained unclear how the brand would proceed with its marketing strategy leading up to and during the Super Bowl.

“We are saddened by this weekend’s news and Planters has paused all campaign activities, including paid media, and will evaluate next steps through a lens of sensitivity to those impacted by this tragedy,” the brand said in a statement Monday.

• Like 2