What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (4 Viewers)

My something cousin (my mom's first cousin) was a longtime writer for MAD...Larry Siegel. Apropos..he passed away last year.

A truly sad loss. 

I'm annoyed by the phrase "accidental overdose"; no drug user intends to overdose.  Drug addiction is a terrible and sad thing.  It should be "overdose" and leave it at that.

My :2cents:
Maybe you've never had to experience it, but many people attempting suicide via drugs absolutely "intend" to overdose.   As that doesn't appear to be the case here, probably apropos to delineate.  We can agree on the bolded though.

Last edited by a moderator:
5-ish Finkle said:
Maybe you've never had to experience it, but many people attempting suicide via drugs absolutely "intend" to overdose.   As that doesn't appear to be the case here, probably apropos to delineate.  We can agree on the bolded though.
Thanks for clearing that up, GB.  It was something I hadn't considered.

There was an amazing John Prine tribute yesterday on Instagram tv.

Consequence of Sound - Angel of Maywood

(Bit awkward but hope it makes sense; if you have the app go to the link below, then tap the IG tv icon to see 9 of the artists, and tap the InstaStory to see another 11 acts. Pretty sure you can still load it in a browser if you’re not an IG app user.)

Hopefully this will get archived on the CoS YouTube channel or FB or SoundCloud, but for now it’s IG only.

LINEUP

Warren Haynes 

Grace Potter 

Norah Jones

The Decemberists’ Colin Meloy

The Head and the Heart

John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats

Kevin Morby

Sara and Sean Watkins of Watkins Family Hour

Lake Street Dive

The Lone Bellow’s Zach Williams 

Marcus King

Butch Walker

Valerie June

Erin Rae

Sarah Jarosz

Shinedown’s Zach Myers

and a few more.

It was a great tribute, each person was singing from their kitchen or living room or attic or backyard, just about everyone had a John Prine story to share.

One of my all time favorite song writers.

♥️

Sir Stirling Moss, the greatest driver never to win the Formula 1 world championship, died at age 90.  Moss finished second in the championship four times between 1955-58 before finishing third for the next three years.  He retired young at age 33 after a serious crash but lived to tell unlike many of his contemporaries.

Sir Stirling Moss, the greatest driver never to win the Formula 1 world championship, died at age 90.  Moss finished second in the championship four times between 1955-58 before finishing third for the next three years.  He retired young at age 33 after a serious crash but lived to tell unlike many of his contemporaries.
He had retired by the time I was 4 or 5 but his name was still big.  It's weird how big racing was in the 60s and early 70s.  Lot's of coverage on SI, with plenty of covers.  And lots of deaths ...it was just kind of accepted. 

The Indy 500 was huge, we all had toy race cars, electric racing sets, and plenty of racing cars mixed in the regular cars in the matchbox collection (before Hot Wheels).  I had a bunch but my favorite was the Jim Clark Lotus but had a couple of cases worth.  It was usually a weekly allowance purchase (a princely sum of 60 cents I recall).  The other main formula car was the red ferrari.  

I longed for the official Aurora Stirling Moss HO scale electric race set but never got one.  My parents thought I would prefer the 1/32 scale set with the "flyover chicane." (not the actual set)  

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Former #Seahawks QB Tarvaris Jackson died last night in a car accident in Alabama, a spokesperson for his employer Tennessee State tells me. Jackson, 36, was TSU’s QB coach. Along with Seattle, he also played for the #Vikings and #Bills.
RIP TJax.  😥

NYC icon Jimmy Webb

Proprietor of the rock n roll clothing store Trash & Vaudeville (E 7th, née St Marks.) Cancer sucks.

For many, New York City doesn’t exist anymore. At least not in the way “it used to be.” It’s a hollowed out shell of its former self. 

It’s easy to grasp the nostalgia. The mid-70s punk rock scene was a seminal moment, and gritty Downtown epitomized being all about that life. It was the perfect backdrop to one of the most significant movements in modernity. Iggy and The Stooges, New York Dolls, Ramone’s, Debbie Harry, et al.

The frequent lament is the City has become completely Disneyfied, full of kids from flyover states who have no understanding or appreciation for what was once here. But it is what it is, wishing it could come back is akin to believing CBGB’s will reopen.

Once in awhile, though, you meet someone who reminds you of what drew you here, and why you still love it here..

That’s what Jimmy Webb represented to me. Eccentric, so freaking extra, oozing positivity, one of kind original. He was a whole mood.

RIP Jimmy

Jimmy Webb

NYC Royalty ... passion/fashion Svengali of the City's rock scene, stuck it out longer than CB's and the rest of the great old punk and thrash and metal and glam and gloom jernts. 

spent many, many Saturday's hanging down around Trash n' V - it was always a party, always runnin' into someone, or something, you'd never seen before.  

Earl Slick, Duff Mckagen, Carlos Dengler, Vinnie Gallo, CJ Ramone, Keith Levene were just some of the many we saw.

R.I.P. 

Jimmy Webb

NYC Royalty ... passion/fashion Svengali of the City's rock scene, stuck it out longer than CB's and the rest of the great old punk and thrash and metal and glam and gloom jernts. 

spent many, many Saturday's hanging down around Trash n' V - it was always a party, always runnin' into someone, or something, you'd never seen before.  

Earl Slick, Duff Mckagen, Carlos Dengler, Vinnie Gallo, CJ Ramone, Keith Levene were just some of the many we saw.

R.I.P. 
preach

as i was finishing up, i saw that you had just posted ... lo and behold, it was Jimmy, also. 

hey, we got tossed outta there a few times, as well - he was a mercurial cat, true NYC character thru n' thru ... but we'd always be welcomed back with a "chuckle and a knuckle" - as if to say "it's cool, but watch yer asses!"  

ya know, for as raunchy a rep as it procured, there was perhaps the strongest sense of community and purpose down there - helping hand to whoever needed, support for fledgling artists and acts ... it was a pure rock n' roll circus at it's most notorious, but a trading post of kindred spirits and tradition at it's core. 

he stuck it out, and died with his boots on - i'm sure he wouldn't have had it any other way.  

... except for the timing - supernova blazed out far too soon - the City is diminished by his passing, this guy was quantum to the Nth. 

Great tributes fellas...RIP Jimmy.
just heard from a buddy who was involved with the band Who Killed Bambi ... recalling how Jimmy basically clothed and fed them as they were finding their way - as i said, that sense of community support was the real hallmark of his person. 

there were plenty others he did likewise for - a selfless believer in the spirit of the City's (vanishing) rock 'tude and vibe and vision. 

as i was finishing up, i saw that you had just posted ... lo and behold, it was Jimmy, also. 

hey, we got tossed outta there a few times, as well - he was a mercurial cat, true NYC character thru n' thru ... but we'd always be welcomed back with a "chuckle and a knuckle" - as if to say "it's cool, but watch yer asses!"  

ya know, for as raunchy a rep as it procured, there was perhaps the strongest sense of community and purpose down there - helping hand to whoever needed, support for fledgling artists and acts ... it was a pure rock n' roll circus at it's most notorious, but a trading post of kindred spirits and tradition at it's core. 

he stuck it out, and died with his boots on - i'm sure he wouldn't have had it any other way.  

... except for the timing - supernova blazed out far too soon - the City is diminished by his passing, this guy was quantum to the Nth. 
well said friend 

Rip trash and vaudeville owner and NYC music/punk/style icon Jimmy Webb. Lost to cancer at 62. 

Just a gentle reminder to not forget- #### you, cancer.

ETA...nm...I see otb covered this far better, as I expected. ETA..and gb BL as well.

While T&V was never my scene, it was so iconic and seemed to have its own gravity in the neighborhood, even up until the end, with satellites of punk/glam characters constantly orbiting..denser the closer you got to the source. When it closed, you could feel the last bit of rootedness of the EVil just disappear.

NYC icon Jimmy Webb

Proprietor of the rock n roll clothing store Trash & Vaudeville (E 7th, née St Marks.) Cancer sucks.

For many, New York City doesn’t exist anymore. At least not in the way “it used to be.” It’s a hollowed out shell of its former self. 

It’s easy to grasp the nostalgia. The mid-70s punk rock scene was a seminal moment, and gritty Downtown epitomized being all about that life. It was the perfect backdrop to one of the most significant movements in modernity. Iggy and The Stooges, New York Dolls, Ramone’s, Debbie Harry, et al.

The frequent lament is the City has become completely Disneyfied, full of kids from flyover states who have no understanding or appreciation for what was once here. But it is what it is, wishing it could come back is akin to believing CBGB’s will reopen.

Once in awhile, though, you meet someone who reminds you of what drew you here, and why you still love it here..

That’s what Jimmy Webb represented to me. Eccentric, so freaking extra, oozing positivity, one of kind original. He was a whole mood.

RIP Jimmy
Definitely a NYC institution - RIP.

When I first saw the post, I thought it was the "other" Jimmy Webb. At least he is still with us.  

Have you read "City on Fire"?  It's set in exactly that scene and period, and at least for a kid from the sticks like me who never got to experience gritty nyc, it was an amazing novel.

Now that I see it was Damaso Garcia, I should have figured it out.  The AS threw me and for whatever reason I thought of soccer.
Not to speak badly about the deceased, but he shouldn't really have been an All-Star anyway. During Garcia's time, the AL second basemen were basically Lou Whitaker and a bunch of other guys.

"First of all, you don't ask the questions around here -- I do. Understand? Second, we don't want guys like you in this town. Drifters. Next thing we know, we got a whole bunch of guys like you in this town. That's why! Besides, you wouldn't like it here anyway. It's just a quiet little town. In fact you might say it's boring. But that's the way we like it. I get paid to keep it that way."

Users who are viewing this thread