Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Good Posting Judge

______ Passed Away Today, RIP

8 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Sir Stirling Moss, the greatest driver never to win the Formula 1 world championship, died at age 90.  Moss finished second in the championship four times between 1955-58 before finishing third for the next three years.  He retired young at age 33 after a serious crash but lived to tell unlike many of his contemporaries.

He had retired by the time I was 4 or 5 but his name was still big.  It's weird how big racing was in the 60s and early 70s.  Lot's of coverage on SI, with plenty of covers.  And lots of deaths ...it was just kind of accepted. 

The Indy 500 was huge, we all had toy race cars, electric racing sets, and plenty of racing cars mixed in the regular cars in the matchbox collection (before Hot Wheels).  I had a bunch but my favorite was the Jim Clark Lotus but had a couple of cases worth.  It was usually a weekly allowance purchase (a princely sum of 60 cents I recall).  The other main formula car was the red ferrari.  

I longed for the official Aurora Stirling Moss HO scale electric race set but never got one.  My parents thought I would prefer the 1/32 scale set with the "flyover chicane." (not the actual set)  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Former #Seahawks QB Tarvaris Jackson died last night in a car accident in Alabama, a spokesperson for his employer Tennessee State tells me. Jackson, 36, was TSU’s QB coach. Along with Seattle, he also played for the #Vikings and #Bills.

• Sad 6

30 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Former #Seahawks QB Tarvaris Jackson died last night in a car accident in Alabama, a spokesperson for his employer Tennessee State tells me. Jackson, 36, was TSU’s QB coach. Along with Seattle, he also played for the #Vikings and #Bills.

RIP TJax.  😥

dammit man ...yet another 60s baseball all-star from my childhood - Glenn Beckert, great 2nd baseman for the Cubs.  Guy was good, really good.  

Didn't see cause of death, he was 79.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

dammit man ...yet another 60s baseball all-star from my childhood - Glenn Beckert, great 2nd baseman for the Cubs.  Guy was good, really good.  

IIRC it was natural causes, not COVID.

21 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Natural causes.

Jim Frey died on Sunday, he was 88.  Rough week for the Cubs.  

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Jim Frey died on Sunday, he was 88.  

Missed that one. :(

1 minute ago, zamboni said:

Missed that one. :(

It wasn't public until today.

How ironic the '84 Cubs division clinching game was on Marquee Network last night.

Posted (edited)

NYC icon Jimmy Webb

Proprietor of the rock n roll clothing store Trash & Vaudeville (E 7th, née St Marks.) Cancer sucks.

For many, New York City doesn’t exist anymore. At least not in the way “it used to be.” It’s a hollowed out shell of its former self. 

It’s easy to grasp the nostalgia. The mid-70s punk rock scene was a seminal moment, and gritty Downtown epitomized being all about that life. It was the perfect backdrop to one of the most significant movements in modernity. Iggy and The Stooges, New York Dolls, Ramone’s, Debbie Harry, et al.

The frequent lament is the City has become completely Disneyfied, full of kids from flyover states who have no understanding or appreciation for what was once here. But it is what it is, wishing it could come back is akin to believing CBGB’s will reopen.

Once in awhile, though, you meet someone who reminds you of what drew you here, and why you still love it here..

That’s what Jimmy Webb represented to me. Eccentric, so freaking extra, oozing positivity, one of kind original. He was a whole mood.

RIP Jimmy

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Sad 2

Jimmy Webb

NYC Royalty ... passion/fashion Svengali of the City's rock scene, stuck it out longer than CB's and the rest of the great old punk and thrash and metal and glam and gloom jernts. 

spent many, many Saturday's hanging down around Trash n' V - it was always a party, always runnin' into someone, or something, you'd never seen before.  

Earl Slick, Duff Mckagen, Carlos Dengler, Vinnie Gallo, CJ Ramone, Keith Levene were just some of the many we saw.

R.I.P. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

Jimmy Webb

NYC Royalty ... passion/fashion Svengali of the City's rock scene, stuck it out longer than CB's and the rest of the great old punk and thrash and metal and glam and gloom jernts. 

spent many, many Saturday's hanging down around Trash n' V - it was always a party, always runnin' into someone, or something, you'd never seen before.  

Earl Slick, Duff Mckagen, Carlos Dengler, Vinnie Gallo, CJ Ramone, Keith Levene were just some of the many we saw.

R.I.P. 

preach

• Thanks 1

Just now, BobbyLayne said:

preach

as i was finishing up, i saw that you had just posted ... lo and behold, it was Jimmy, also. 

hey, we got tossed outta there a few times, as well - he was a mercurial cat, true NYC character thru n' thru ... but we'd always be welcomed back with a "chuckle and a knuckle" - as if to say "it's cool, but watch yer asses!"  

ya know, for as raunchy a rep as it procured, there was perhaps the strongest sense of community and purpose down there - helping hand to whoever needed, support for fledgling artists and acts ... it was a pure rock n' roll circus at it's most notorious, but a trading post of kindred spirits and tradition at it's core. 

he stuck it out, and died with his boots on - i'm sure he wouldn't have had it any other way.  

... except for the timing - supernova blazed out far too soon - the City is diminished by his passing, this guy was quantum to the Nth. 

• Love 1

Great tributes fellas...RIP Jimmy.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jamny said:

Great tributes fellas...RIP Jimmy.

just heard from a buddy who was involved with the band Who Killed Bambi ... recalling how Jimmy basically clothed and fed them as they were finding their way - as i said, that sense of community support was the real hallmark of his person. 

there were plenty others he did likewise for - a selfless believer in the spirit of the City's (vanishing) rock 'tude and vibe and vision. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

as i was finishing up, i saw that you had just posted ... lo and behold, it was Jimmy, also. 

hey, we got tossed outta there a few times, as well - he was a mercurial cat, true NYC character thru n' thru ... but we'd always be welcomed back with a "chuckle and a knuckle" - as if to say "it's cool, but watch yer asses!"  

ya know, for as raunchy a rep as it procured, there was perhaps the strongest sense of community and purpose down there - helping hand to whoever needed, support for fledgling artists and acts ... it was a pure rock n' roll circus at it's most notorious, but a trading post of kindred spirits and tradition at it's core. 

he stuck it out, and died with his boots on - i'm sure he wouldn't have had it any other way.  

... except for the timing - supernova blazed out far too soon - the City is diminished by his passing, this guy was quantum to the Nth. 

well said friend 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BobbyLayne said:

The frequent lament is the City has become completely Disneyfied, full of kids from flyover states who have no understanding or appreciation for what was once here. But it is what it is, wishing it could come back is akin to believing CBGB’s will reopen.

"This ain't the Mudd Club...or CBGBs..."

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Rip trash and vaudeville owner and NYC music/punk/style icon Jimmy Webb. Lost to cancer at 62. 

Just a gentle reminder to not forget- #### you, cancer.

ETA...nm...I see otb covered this far better, as I expected. ETA..and gb BL as well.

While T&V was never my scene, it was so iconic and seemed to have its own gravity in the neighborhood, even up until the end, with satellites of punk/glam characters constantly orbiting..denser the closer you got to the source. When it closed, you could feel the last bit of rootedness of the EVil just disappear.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

NYC icon Jimmy Webb

Proprietor of the rock n roll clothing store Trash & Vaudeville (E 7th, née St Marks.) Cancer sucks.

For many, New York City doesn’t exist anymore. At least not in the way “it used to be.” It’s a hollowed out shell of its former self. 

It’s easy to grasp the nostalgia. The mid-70s punk rock scene was a seminal moment, and gritty Downtown epitomized being all about that life. It was the perfect backdrop to one of the most significant movements in modernity. Iggy and The Stooges, New York Dolls, Ramone’s, Debbie Harry, et al.

Once in awhile, though, you meet someone who reminds you of what drew you here, and why you still love it here..

That’s what Jimmy Webb represented to me. Eccentric, so freaking extra, oozing positivity, one of kind original. He was a whole mood.

RIP Jimmy

Definitely a NYC institution - RIP.

When I first saw the post, I thought it was the "other" Jimmy Webb. At least he is still with us.  

4 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Have you read "City on Fire"?  It's set in exactly that scene and period, and at least for a kid from the sticks like me who never got to experience gritty nyc, it was an amazing novel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, scorchy said:

Have you read "City on Fire"?  It's set in exactly that scene and period, and at least for a kid from the sticks like me who never got to experience gritty nyc, it was an amazing novel.

Have not, thanks for the rec 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Hall of Famer Willie Davis

RIP to the Packers great

As a young child growing up in Packerland during the Lombardi era, Davis was one of the first Black people I can remember learning about.  He probably helped to shape my attitudes about race more than 60s civil rights leaders.

He was a great player on some great teams but I always loved to hear him laugh.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Former Toronto AS Damaso Garcia 63.  He had been in poor health for a long time with a brain tumor.

12 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Former Toronto AS Damaso Garcia 63.  He had been in poor health for a long time with a brain tumor.

AS?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

AS?

He might have meant SS, but it looks like he was a 2B.

Edit: never mind, zamboni figured it out. Though that's the first time I've seen All Star shortened like that.

Edited by Kal El
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom Servo said:

Now that I see it was Damaso Garcia, I should have figured it out.  The AS threw me and for whatever reason I thought of soccer.

Not to speak badly about the deceased, but he shouldn't really have been an All-Star anyway. During Garcia's time, the AL second basemen were basically Lou Whitaker and a bunch of other guys.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

RIP Brian Dennehy - the best Willy Loman for me ever.

The Best of the Best.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Silverado

"We'll give you a fair trial followed by a first class hanging"

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

There wouldn't be no trouble except for that king #### cop

• Like 2

"First of all, you don't ask the questions around here -- I do. Understand? Second, we don't want guys like you in this town. Drifters. Next thing we know, we got a whole bunch of guys like you in this town. That's why! Besides, you wouldn't like it here anyway. It's just a quiet little town. In fact you might say it's boring. But that's the way we like it. I get paid to keep it that way."

33 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

My favorite role of his was as "Big Tom" Callahan in Tommy Boy. RIP

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Such an excellent actor, First Blood, F/X, etc. even small parts of movies like Tommy Boy he really made believable.  RIP.

1 minute ago, Sullie said:

Such an excellent actor, First Blood, F/X, etc. even small parts of movies like Tommy Boy he really made believable.  RIP.

I liked him in Best Seller as well. A pretty cool movie for it’s time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kal El said:

My favorite role of his was as "Big Tom" Callahan in Tommy Boy. RIP

Are you a younger guy? That was a pretty insignificant role for him. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Over 40 yrs ago now, i get a call from my agent. "We got a lawsuit!"

Huh? Let me explain -

The first thing he had represented me for was a play called Dinner & Divorce that i had written for a local community theater. It was based on a married couple who realized that, due to mid 70s tax statutes, if they went to a Caribbean island, got divorced on New Year's Eve and remarried on New Year's Day they saved enough in taxes to pay for the entire holiday and more (sumn i'd read in the paper about folks actually doing). Of course, between divorce & remarriage, hijinx & hilarity ensue. The referee of the mayhem was Buster, the wisened partyhound bartender of the tiki lounge on the resort's lanai. Serge loved it, got it into a Boston theater and it was well-received. Unfortunately, the IRS quickly closed the loophole (yes, govt actually acted quickly at one time) and i was on to other things, so it never went further.

Anyway, my agent goes to a hot new movie, 10, starring Bo Derek. Hijinx & hilarity ensued in this, too, refereed by Don, a wisened partyhound bartender of the tiki lounge on a resort's lanai, portrayed by Brian Dennehy (in what turned out to be his breakout role).

Further anyway, my agent - whose talent to get into the best places & parties almost exceeded his contract skills - swore that he was at a party attended by 10 writer/director Blake Edwards during the time Dinner & Divorce was running and his book made it clear he was in Boston for the whole run of my play (he had offices in Bos & NY). Don & Buster were so similar that he became convinced that Edwards had seen my play in a Boston 200-seater and lifted the characterization. I went to the movie and, while there were a number of similarities (i most remember insisting Buster be cast as a burly, bouncer type with soft, sarcastic edges, like the author), not enough for me to support Serge's claim. But i've held a great affection for Dennehy ever since. RIP -

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Are you a younger guy? That was a pretty insignificant role for him. 

I am, that movie came out when I was a kid. I do believe I saw him on an episode of MASH once as well.

52 minutes ago, Sullie said:

I liked his small part as Rosie in Never Cry Wolf.  Good movie, too.

1 hour ago, proteus126 said:

I liked his small part as Rosie in Never Cry Wolf.  Good movie, too.

Amazing you bring Never Cry Wolf up.  I was just looking on Disney+ to see if it was on there two days ago.  Alas...

3 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I served him cold cuts once. The A&P in the Hamptons couldn’t get people to work there for the summer so they bussed us out there and paid us for the hour trip each way.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Really liked him in the FX movies

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I served him cold cuts once. The A&P in the Hamptons couldn’t get people to work there for the summer so they bussed us out there and paid us for the hour trip each way.

A true "brush with greatness" moment .

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

2 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

A true "brush with greatness" moment .

He was wearing a cap like the Skipper from Gilligans Island. This was 30+ years ago and I probably thought he was 80 then.

• Like 1