What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (2 Viewers)

RIP Sir Kenneth Robinson (4 March 1950 – 21 August 2020)[1] was a British author, speaker and international advisor on education in the arts to government, non-profits, education and arts bodies. He was Director of the Arts in Schools Project (1985–89) and Professor of Arts Education at the University of Warwick (1989–2001), and was later[when?] Professor Emeritus at the same institution. In 2003 he was knighted for services to the arts.
Saw him talk a couple times...can't recommend his books enough. Was on the board at our kids pre-school (Pre-K-8th grade) and profoundly influenced the direction of the school. All about creativity. Just an amazing guy...rip :(

Walter Lure (April 1949- August 2020) of punk/garage rock fame and member of Johnny Thunders's Heartbreakers, from lung and liver cancer at 71. Check the polka dot pic at the link. I came to the Heartbreakers later in life because of this very board. (Sebowski and the good mix link to L.A.M.F.)  Mr. Lure, good show. RIP. 

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/waltur-lure-dead-heartbreakers-punk-rock/

From 1976:

Soon after the New York City-based Heartbreakers played their first show in May 1975, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers arrived on the national scene. "We don't even know if we're even going to be called the Heartbreakers [anymore]," Thunders wryly noted in a 1976 interview. "There's a new band.. they're called Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. We might change our name to the Headbreakers and go visit them." To avoid confusion, the punk band was frequently referred to as Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers.

My grandmother passed yesterday.  No celebrity but she did lead an amazing life and knew Ike and Tina Turner and met Mick and Keith at the infamous Hell's Angels concert.

She was 106 years old this past May. 

I am so happy that my 11 year old daughter got to meet both her Great Grandmothers on my side. 
You were fortunate to have her for so long a time.  My condolences.

Arizona basketball coach Lute Olson passed away at age 85.

Olson went 589-187 in 24 seasons at Arizona and guided the Wildcats to four Final Four appearances, 23 consecutive NCAA tournaments and 11 Pac-10 titles, as well as the national title in 1997.

He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002 and the College Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006, and a statue of Olson was erected outside the McKale Memorial Center in Tucson in 2018. The Wildcats' home court inside McKale was named in his honor in 2000, then became "Lute and Bobbi Olson Court" a year later to honor his late wife.
While I am not a big college hoops fan, certain coaches always stood out, and Lute was one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chadwick Boseman has passed
I read a tweet from some guy and he was talking about his then 3-year old son got his Black Panther costume and would never take it off.  The way he'd say "I'm the Black Panther" was so endearing to his dad.  :cry: as a dad.

I didn't know he was also Jackie Robinson in 42. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Cliff Robinson, former UCONN and NBA basketball player (mostly for the Portland Trailblazers), dead at 53. Cause has not been reported.

I crossed paths with him a couple of times in wildly different contexts. First time was around 1991, his 2nd year in the league. A friend and I went to the local arcade, and there was Cliff, hogging the Streetfighter II game. He played it all night, just by himself. At one point I went up to him and said, "Hey Cliff, what are you doing at an arcade?" and his response was a sheepish, "Ain't nothin' else to do in this town, man."

About a year later I went to my first strip club........and there in the VIP area was none other than Cliff, getting attention from several young blondes. Guess he found something else to do in our town.

Anyway, R.I.P. Uncle Cliffy.

Cliff Robinson, former UCONN and NBA basketball player (mostly for the Portland Trailblazers), dead at 53. Cause has not been reported.

I crossed paths with him a couple of times in wildly different contexts. First time was around 1991, his 2nd year in the league. A friend and I went to the local arcade, and there was Cliff, hogging the Streetfighter II game. He played it all night, just by himself. At one point I went up to him and said, "Hey Cliff, what are you doing at an arcade?" and his response was a sheepish, "Ain't nothin' else to do in this town, man."

About a year later I went to my first strip club........and there in the VIP area was none other than Cliff, getting attention from several young blondes. Guess he found something else to do in our town.

Anyway, R.I.P. Uncle Cliffy.
I grew up in Portland as well.  Was the arcade Wonderland in Beaverton?

He brought his little brother out with him, and let's just say that the interest in cannabis in that family goes back a long way.  RIP Uncle Cliffy.

Cliff Robinson had a brain hemmorage that led to a stroke in 2017. Possible cause or contribution to his death. Love watching the Blazers with him on the team. Rip. :(

SFBayDuck said:
I grew up in Portland as well.  Was the arcade Wonderland in Beaverton?

He brought his little brother out with him, and let's just say that the interest in cannabis in that family goes back a long way.  RIP Uncle Cliffy.
:thumbup:

sports_fan said:
Tom Servo said:
Liver cancer was diagnosed 4 years ago IIRC.
Yeah I didn’t know what type of cancer he had either
It was colon cancer, and essentially no one knew he was sick, he kept it very private and his family and friends honored his wishes.  

CurlyNight said:
Cliff Robinson had a brain hemmorage that led to a stroke in 2017. Possible cause or contribution to his death. Love watching the Blazers with him on the team. Rip. :(
The NBA was fun to watch in the 90s.  Cliff was a solid player.   

[scooter] said:
Cliff Robinson.

A similar story tweeted by a local sports guy in Indianapolis:

“Godspeed to Cliff Robinson, an underrated NBA player. Years ago, I was in Circle Centre, and he was in town to play the Pacers. Robinson was playing the Indy 500 video game, and paid for hours for people to play against him. He was really good- and nice to everyone.”

@jakequery

A similar story tweeted by a local sports guy in Indianapolis:

“Godspeed to Cliff Robinson, an underrated NBA player. Years ago, I was in Circle Centre, and he was in town to play the Pacers. Robinson was playing the Indy 500 video game, and paid for hours for people to play against him. He was really good- and nice to everyone.”

@jakequery
/* completely off topic */

I don't know Jake Query, never met him, but I listed to him and Derek Schultz for years on the radio here in Indy and I've heard him call the 500 for a long time now but he seems like a really good guy.  I hate how how IHeart Radio let him and Derek go, I understand that it's a tough business but I was hoping someone else would have picked the two up, I liked the dynamic of their show quite a bit.

Godspeed to Cliff Robinson - 53 is way too young - RIP.

CurlyNight said:
Aww man.  

Used to live across the river in Vancouver Washington during the 90s.  Cliff was part of a great team, Clyde The Glide Drexler, Kevin Duckworth, Terry Porter, Jerome Kersey, Rod Strickland, and Buck Williams.  

Shared this story in the 'Have you met anyone famous' thread a few months back where I ran into three 'minor' celebrities in 45 minutes one day back in the mid 90s in the Portland area.

It was during the time of the Nancy Kerrigan/Tanya Harding tabloid explosion where all the paparazzi were trying to hunt down Tanya Harding.  Family were in town and I took my mom and four sisters into Portland where we wound up in Niketown.  They had to use the restroom so I took them up the elevator to the scaffold walkway leading to the bathrooms.  I stopped looking down at the crowd when Tanya Harding came next to me wearing a red wig.  

She was gloating as she looked down with a crazed look in her eyes never even noticing me.  I recognized her immediately since I'd seen her around town many times.  She left before my sisters got out of the restroom.  

We left Niketown to head to Multnomah Falls and I nearly ran over the former mayor of Portland Bud Clark as he rode his bike across an intersection.  

We got to Multnomah Falls and I see Buck Williams with his mom.  I whisper to my mom, 'That's Buck Williams he is a professional basketball player for the Portland Trailblazers.' 

My mom says; 'WHAT?'  

I whisper. 'NBA basketball player for the Portland Trailblazers Buck Williams.'

Mom; 'WHO?'

I try to shoosh her and begin to whisper but she walks up to Buck's Mom and asks; 'Does your son play basketball?'  

His mom was a sweetheart and says with a big smile' Yes, why yes he does.'

My mom didn't bother to ask she just slaps her arm around Buck Williams waist, she's only 5'1 so her arm came around his ### and yells to me to; 'Take a picture'.

I look at Buck like dude I'm so sorry and take a picture.  

Once my mom broke the ice kids came running from every direction yelling; 'BUCK-BUCK-BUCK!' 

He literally had to run away.  I had a dream that night where I kept apologizing to him.

BTW the picture is hysterical because of the look on Buck's face.

Rip Uncle Cliffly.  Part of a really fun team to follow.

I don't know Jake Query, never met him, but I listed to him and Derek Schultz for years on the radio here in Indy and I've heard him call the 500 for a long time now but he seems like a really good guy.  I hate how how IHeart Radio let him and Derek go, I understand that it's a tough business but I was hoping someone else would have picked the two up, I liked the dynamic of their show quite a bit.

Godspeed to Cliff Robinson - 53 is way too young - RIP.
I’ve met him a couple of times. The first time he was aloof and pretty much ignored my presence. The second time he was super nice and engaged me in a good conversation. We’re way of topic but yes Jake is a really good guy and I miss the Query and Shultz show on Indianapolis sports talk radio too.

RIP John Thompson

He was 78.
This little small town kid from in the country in Wisconsin somehow became a Georgetown fan when he was in high school.  Had plenty of gear including still having a Alonzo Mourning and Othello Harrington jersey.  I became a fan after Ewing but loved them in the Big East.

Users who are viewing this thread