Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Good Posting Judge

______ Passed Away Today, RIP

40 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Wow, it seemed like I was just watching one of his tournaments. 

The voice of the World Poker Tour. :(

more than the voice - the reason there are poker tours, if not poker rooms

i was a road player when the only real tournaments were WSOP and Amarillo Slim's Super Bowl of Poker up in Tahoe (hold em was only legal in Nv then), and Mike & Tom McEvoy were always yammering on about using tournament poker to open the country to poker rooms. i mean, we all knew it was gonna be bigger someday, but it was actually 20 years in evolution, mostly by Sexton's hard work and belief. everyone who's seen a flop owes Mike Sexton a nod. RIP -

• Like 5
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

more than the voice - the reason there are poker tours, if not poker rooms

i was a road player when the only real tournaments were WSOP and Amarillo Slim's Super Bowl of Poker up in Tahoe (hold em was only legal in Nv then), and Mike & Tom McEvoy were always yammering on about using tournament poker to open the country to poker rooms. i mean, we all knew it was gonna be bigger someday, but it was actually 20 years in evolution, mostly by Sexton's hard work and belief. everyone who's seen a flop owes Mike Sexton a nod. RIP -

Met him a few times at WSOP.  Always so incredibly nice.  Sad day for poker fans.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Joe Summer said:

Baseball great Lou Brock has died at the age of 81.

RIP Lou

Brock was far from a power hitter in his career - only 149 HRs among his 3023 hits. But as a rookie with the Cubs in 1962, he hit one of the longest home runs ever at the old Polo Grounds - estimated at around 475 feet.

Edited by zamboni

28 minutes ago, zamboni said:

RIP Lou

Brock was far from a power hitter in his career - only 149 HRs among his 3023 hits. But as a rookie with the Cubs in 1962, he hit one of the longest home runs ever at the old Polo Grounds - estimated at around 475 feet.

the amazing thing about the Polo Grounds is that there were parts of it where hitting a ball 475 feet wouldnt get you out of the park. twas obvious to me as a kid that Brock could have outhit his size if that had been his job

RIP, Lou. May baseball consecrate your memory by putting Maury Wills in the HOF

• Like 1

I knew that Lou Brock played college baseball for Southern University in Baton Rouge, LA. What I didn't know is there are competing accounts of exactly he made Southern's baseball team, at least the lead-up to his tryout:

1) Tried out for baseball to make up for a lost academic scholarship.

Lou Brock didn't play baseball at all until he was 13 years old. It was actually almost an accident that the sport changed his life at Southern University.

Brock earned an academic scholarship to Southern as a math major, but he lost the scholarship after just one semester because of bad grades. So as a result, he turned to volunteering with the Jaguars baseball team.

One afternoon, coaches gave him five practice swings, and Brock smashed three home runs. It was right there that he earned a full baseball scholarship and paved the way for his 19-year Hall of Fame career from 1961-79.

2) Hitchhiked from rural north Louisiana to try out.

A native of Collinston, a tiny farm town in north Louisiana, Brock was desperate for a better life when he hitchhiked his way to Southern.

He had no scholarship and no food money, and he begged coach Bob Lee for a tryout.

"He told us he had not eaten for four or five days, and the coaches felt pity for him and said to him, 'Lad, take a swing or two,' " said Roger Cador, later a player and legendary coach at Southern. "And his swing — he had five swings to prove his worth — and he hit a couple balls out of the park, though he was weak, he had not eaten. He hit a couple balls out of the park, and the rest was history.

"They gave him a scholarship on the spot."

Perhaps both accounts are true -- there are several shared details.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

the amazing thing about the Polo Grounds is that there were parts of it where hitting a ball 475 feet wouldnt get you out of the park. twas obvious to me as a kid that Brock could have outhit his size if that had been his job

RIP, Lou. May baseball consecrate your memory by putting Maury Wills in the HOF

I was fortunate to sit between Lou Brock, and wife, and Ozzie Smith at a Seniors ProAm dinner in San Antonio in the early 2000’s. Ozzie was a team mate with me and Rollie Fingers with Lanny Wadkins. We ended up winning the ProAm. Ozzie was very very friendly. Rollie was all business about winning.

Edited by Phil Elliott
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Phil Elliott said:

I was fortunate to sit between Lou Brock, and wife, and Ozzie Smith at a Seniors ProAm dinner in San Antonio in the early 2000’s. Ozzie was a team mate with me and Rollie Fingers with Lanny Wadkins. We ended up winning the ProAm. Ozzie was very very friendly. Rollie was all business about winning.

"Another bogey - net - bird Phil!!!  You da man!!" - Ozzie.  

On 9/7/2020 at 12:16 AM, Joe Summer said:

Mike Sexton. Some know him by name, others know him only as the voice of poker tournaments.

Dead at 72 from prostate cancer.

Wow. He was 72?

On 9/10/2020 at 10:22 AM, Sullie said:

for some reason, secret-agent & crime-fighting chicks like Emma Peel & Agent 99 & Cinnamon Carter were the definitive hotties of my school years. i was a Honey West kid myself, but i had friends who simply ached to be under Mrs Peel's heel. RIP milady.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, wikkidpissah said:

for some reason, secret-agent & crime-fighting chicks like Emma Peel & Agent 99 were the definitive hotties of my school years. i was a Honey West kid myself, but i had friends who simply ached to be under Mr's Peel's heel. RIP milady.

Wow, you just named my first 3 crushes as a kid. Loved them all!

Edited by Mr. Mojo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Wow, you just named my first 3 crushes as a kid. Loved them all!

:hifive: fellow Secret Agent Man. set your decoder ring on "swoon"!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

RIP reggae icon Toots Hibbert

:goodposting: Very sad to hear of his passing. 

5 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

RIP reggae icon Toots Hibbert

Damn. Tbh, I'm always surprised he's still alive...kind of remember he had a bad bout of cancer a while back. Rip. Such an amazing distinctive voice... :(

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Damn. Tbh, I'm always surprised he's still alive...kind of remember he had a bad bout of cancer a while back. Rip. Such an amazing distinctive voice... :(

A few weeks ago, I read he was hospitalized with COVID-like symptoms. Don't know if that was ever confirmed, though.

He had just released an album, which kicks ###, and he was still in fine voice.

Toots' records, by far of all of the 70s reggae stars, showed the influence of US Southern Soul - especially Otis Redding. Hell, The Clash would be half the band they were without the original "Pressure Drop" 

• Like 1

The great Jazz bassist Gary Peacock died at age 85.  Peacock was equally adept in playing Free Jazz as he was exploring the standards.  He's probably best known for accompanying pianist Keith Jarrett in a trio format where Peacock had ample space to make his instrument sing and swing while still anchoring the bottom.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ffweasel said:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg  1933 - 2020

That is beyond sad and just a mess for everyone now

Edited by Ilov80s

15 minutes ago, ffweasel said:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg  1933 - 2020

:cry: RIP RBG. Thank you for your services. Xxx

• Like 2

Joe Laurinaitis - Road Warrior "Animal" 

I haven't watched wrestling in a long time but I was always a fan of "The Legion of Doom" growing up. I listen to his son every morning here in Columbus. RIP. 

1 hour ago, boilerdave said:

Gale Sayers 😞

The first sports unicorn i ever saw was Willie Mays, and i was transfixed. He just seemed to have a completely different set of skills & capacity than anyone else and celebrated them with great verve. Sayers was the next. It's kind of a shame i was already such a Jim Brown fan when i first saw Sayers that my kidliness hadnt room for another football idol, but to watch him live was a jaw-dropping experience. I'm sure being chased by a buncha white boys gave better contrast than today's fast-twitch types might have, but there were more than gifts at play. The real beauty part of watching #40 was that there was such a powerful sense that he knew what he was going to do next & next & next on the field. This was more than physicality. Magic. RIP -

• Like 3

1 hour ago, farfromforgotten said:

I haven't watched wrestling in a long time but I was always a fan of "The Legion of Doom" growing up. I listen to his son every morning here in Columbus. RIP. 

He outlived Hawk by 17 years! Winner !!!

What a rushhhhhhhh!

R.I.P.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boilerdave said:

Gale Sayers 😞

Sharing the backfield with Brian Piccolo once again.

• Sad 2

23 hours ago, [scooter] said:

Sayers was a little before my time for any live action memories (I was born in '68).  Watching Brian's Song was really my first exposure to Sayers.  To this day when I hear his name, an image of Billy Dee Williams actually pops into my head first.  Powerful movie.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, [scooter] said:

I actually saw Piccolo play against the Rams. The guy was a bulldog (hard to tackle). 

On 9/23/2020 at 9:01 AM, farfromforgotten said:

I had not heard that one, was a huge Road Warriors fan, always my favorite tag team.  Only 60 years old, his last tweet was a few days ago to his wife for their anniversary.  RIP

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

22-9, 1.12, 13 shutouts

Man he was great

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Sad 1

Rip Chris Clark- owner of my favorite and most used high end residential construction firm here in nyc. Great firm that always felt like a family and great guy...heart attack at 62 :(

54 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Died on the 52nd Anniversary of him striking out 17 in Game 1 of the 1968 World Series

Scrolling down through that twitter feed, someone posted that his ERA in his 9 1968 losses was 2.14

If he had only pitched those nine losses, that ERA would have ranked around 11th or 12th in the league

Dodgers relief ace Ron Perranoski dies at age 84

Mr. Perranoski’s best year with the Dodgers came in 1963, when he won 16-3 as a full-time reliever and earned a save in relief of Johnny Podres in Game 2 of the World Series against the Yankees. He had 21 saves to go with a 1.67 ERA.

:shock:

12 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

I had 🎵 THIS SONG  🎶 on repeat in my head the week he died.  

Had no idea Toots passed.

Missed that news on Toots as well. That stings. Great tunes by them 

No love for Bob Gibson?

• Sad 1