What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (4 Viewers)

@TheTweetOfGod: It’s only been a few hours and Stephen Hawking already mathematically proved, to My face, that I don’t exist.

Anna Chennault, founder of the foundation employing me, dies at 93 or 95.  Spending much of my time the last two days on the phone with reporters confirming her death, govt contractors and Asian associations, fax signals, and the other 95% trying to explain to them that I don't speak Chinese.  Thought @timschochet might be interested.  Not sure if he's a fan. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/anna-chennault-formidable-washington-hostess-and-secret-emissary-dies-at-94/2018/04/03/45aa3c12-36c4-11e8-8fd2-49fe3c675a89_story.html?utm_term=.411e24e6ebd8

In the Garry Shandling documentary, they talked a bit about how Mitzi was obsessed with the belief that writers can't be stand-ups, and she had told Garry that she wouldn't give him a spot at the Comedy Store until he gave up his writing career.

I'm not sure if I agree with her philosophy, but I think it's fair to say that it gave Garry the nudge that he needed to dedicate himself to stand-up.

i tried quickly to find it and couldnt, but somewhere on Youtube there's a doc on Cresthill, the house above the Store which Mitzi allowed insane drugged-out comics from Robin to Kinnison to Dice and myriad others to crash at for 20 yrs. it's a hoot, for those made interested in the scene by the Shandling doc

If i had to pick a modern era director for a project it would be either him or Peter Weir. The best director of actors maybe ever & the weirdest caster of actors definitely ever. I dont think anyone else could have made Man in the Moon the way it was supposed to be made and that's a miracle to me RIP -
Did you see Jim and Andy?  Carrey drove everyone crazy including himself during that filming.

If i had to pick a modern era director for a project it would be either him or Peter Weir. The best director of actors maybe ever & the weirdest caster of actors definitely ever. I dont think anyone else could have made Man in the Moon the way it was supposed to be made and that's a miracle to me RIP -
Auteurish with being heavy-handed or getting in the way of the story. Cuckoo's Nest and Larry Flint both great too. And didn't he do that Kundera film too?

Auteurish with being heavy-handed or getting in the way of the story. Cuckoo's Nest and Larry Flint both great too. And didn't he do that Kundera film too?
Unbearable Length of Movie, as my pal useta call it? no, that was Phillip Kaufmann, who did The Right Stuff. Amadeus was his best flick, although he almost doomed it with some of the casting (he saved it w F. Murray Abraham, as unlikely as the other choices but better than the McKellen original, not ez to do)

Did you see Jim and Andy?  Carrey drove everyone crazy including himself during that filming.
That was the Lord's work, artistically speaking. We are of a million minds and life exists to determine which one is ours. Jim Carrey decided, for very pure reasons, to see if he could have two and Forman ensured the chance that people would put up $25mil so he could try for all our edification & inspiration. I take Carrey at his word when he wonders "What would happen if i just decided to be Jesus?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the only major role that Kubrick allowed to be ad-libbed. Everything else he did was highly scripted. "While filming the opening scene, where he disciplines Pvt. Cowboy, he says Cowboy is the type of guy who would have sex with another guy "and not even have the g######## common courtesy to give him a reach-around". Stanley Kubrick immediately yelled cut and went over to Ermey and asked, "What the hell is a reach-around?" Ermey politely explained what it meant. Kubrick laughed and re-shot the scene, telling Ermey to keep the line."
:lmao:  I'm dead... :lmao: :lmao:  

RIP Hal Greer

hall of famer 
My first rivalry as a sports fan, Sixers/Celts. Sox couldnt compare to the Yanks then, the Pats were playing @ Northeastern, Harvard & Fenway Stadiums & i  had too many teeth to root for the Bruins, so it was Russell, Havlicek & the Jones boys v. Wilt, Greer, Cunningham, Walker. Much respect. RIP -

My first rivalry as a sports fan, Sixers/Celts. Sox couldnt compare to the Yanks then, the Pats were playing @ Northeastern, Harvard & Fenway Stadiums & i  had too many teeth to root for the Bruins, so it was Russell, Havlicek & the Jones boys v. Wilt, Greer, Cunningham, Walker. Much respect. RIP -
They named one of the Main Streets of my hometown after him. So I’ve heard about him my whole life but not old enough to remember him playing. 

They named one of the Main Streets of my hometown after him. So I’ve heard about him my whole life but not old enough to remember him playing. 
interesting to contemplate for a moment. i think the first player i was aware of was Rick Barry because of some ads in the back of a comic book featuring him. my dad talked up Bernard King because he played college ball at Tennessee. probably the first player i ever watched in a game was kevin mchale in the early 80's during a celtics playoff run with Bird, Robert Parrish, and DJ. 

interesting to contemplate for a moment. i think the first player i was aware of was Rick Barry because of some ads in the back of a comic book featuring him. my dad talked up Bernard King because he played college ball at Tennessee. probably the first player i ever watched in a game was kevin mchale in the early 80's during a celtics playoff run with Bird, Robert Parrish, and DJ. 
I definitely remember all those Celtic guys you mentioned. I use to actually like the sixers the best growing up. 

Moses, Dr. J, Andrew Toney, Bobby Jones, Cheeks. 

They had some epic battles for sure. 

Users who are viewing this thread