What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBGs vs Kasparov- chess game- Draw agreed to (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Kaspy is white.

1. d4 Nf6
2. c4 e6
3. Nc3 Bb4
4. e3 c5
5. Bd3 Nc6
6. Nge2 cxd4
7. exd4 d5
8. cxd5 Nxd5
9. a3 Bd6
10. 0-0 0-0
11. Bc2 b6
12. Qd3 g6
13. Ne4 Be7
14. Bb3 Qd7
15. Bh6 Rd8
16. Rad1 Bb7
17. Rfe1 Rac8
18. h3 Na5
19. Ba2 b5
20. b4 Nc4
21. Qf3 Qc6
22. Nf4 Nxf4
23. Qxf4 Qd5
24. f3 Qf5
25. Qxf5 gxf5
26. Nc5 Bd5
27. Bxc4 Bxc4
28. Rd2 Bf6

29. Red1 Rd5

30. Kf2 Ra8

31. Na6 Rad8

32. Be3 h5

33. Nc5 Kf8

34. g4 Bh4+ 

35. Kg2 Ke7

36. Nd3 Bxd3

37. Rxd3 Rg8

38. Rc3 hxg4

39. hxg4 fxg4

40. Rc7+ Rd7

41. Rxd7+ Kxd7

42. d5 gxf3+

43. Kxf3 Rg3+

44. Ke2 e5

45. Rh1 Bg5

46. Bc5 e4

47. Rh8 Rxa3

48. Rf8 Rf3

49. Ra8 Rd3

50. Rxa7+ Ke8

51. Ra8+ Bd8

52. Bf2 Kd7

53. Ra7+ Ke8

54. Ra8 f6

55. Rb8 Kd7

56. Rxb5 Kd6

57. Rb8 Kc7

58. Rb5 Be7

59. Bb6+ Kc8

60. Ra5 Bxb4

61. Ra4 Rb3

62. Bd4 f5

63. Be5 Kb7

64. d6 Bc5

65. d7 Rd3

66. Bd4 Be7

67. Rc4 Bh4

68. Kf1 Rd2

69. Kg1 f4

70. Kh1 Bg5

71. Bc3 Rd1+

72. Kh2 e3

73, Bd4 e2

74. Bf2 Rxd7

75. Kh3 Rh7+

76. Kg2 Re7

77. Be1 Re3 

78. Rc5 Bf6

79. Rc4 Bg5 

80. Rc5 Be7

81. Rc3 Re6

82. Kg3 Be6

83. Rc2

1/2-1/2

This is our team effort vs Kasparov (FBG Kaspy) who won the chess tournament very easily and who may very well be a chess master. He has agreed not to open this thread until the game is over. We will discuss every move. All are welcome to participate.

Kaspy is white; his first move is d4. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
d5 and Nf6 are both good options. I don't know much about NF6 opening lines, but probably a lot of you do. What kind of game do we want here?

d5 and Nf6 are both good options. I don't know much about NF6 opening lines, but probably a lot of you do. What kind of game do we want here?
He usually plays C4 after D4.

Nf6 keeps things flexible, Kings Indian or Grunfeld - both can be much sharper than a slav. I'd prefer to keep it solid and play D5 followed be C6

I'd be inclined towards d5. Especially if that's JB's preference since I have the impression that he has the deepest knowledge of openings, which should be beneficial for us.

I'd be inclined towards d5. Especially if that's JB's preference since I have the impression that he has the deepest knowledge of openings, which should be beneficial for us.
I agree, mainly because I want to avoid sharp openings. But I'd like to hear the other argument too.

Nf6

Not a big fan of getting locked into positional closed games against better players, personally. Nf6 has a lot of flexibility.

Don't mind me though, I'm just passing through.

Honestly, I don't think it really matters much. But I would favor Nf6 because it leaves us flexible. We will play Nf6 anyway at some point if we play d5 now. But we may want to play a Kings Indian, and Nf6 allows that.

But really, I'm not hard over either way.

Honestly, I don't think it really matters much. But I would favor Nf6 because it leaves us flexible. We will play Nf6 anyway at some point if we play d5 now. But we may want to play a Kings Indian, and Nf6 allows that.

OK that makes sense.

Anyone object to Nf6?

OK that makes sense.

Anyone object to Nf6?
As someone who vastly prefers to play black at all times, I hate the King's Indian but am fine with it.

I don't think there's going to be a lot of real debate of Nf6 vs d5. It's going to be a question of what opening people play. Nf6 is a much more flexible move and can transpose back into safer variations of the QGD if you're so inclined. I'd rather go for a Nimzo.

SBob is correct. Funny tho, I was just thinking the opposite.

I hate the Kings Indian, but I could probably get us quite deep on a Grunfeld.

However, your post re a Nimzo or the like I completely agree with. Down with this or a Ragozin (provided we get C4 here)

(always listen to SBob, IMO as well)

Since Kaspy can't check the thread. Somehow he found his way to FBGs but as far as I could glean from him, he's at the very least a FIDE Master, if not an IM or GM even.

We were talking about a few old time GMs and he was commentating about who was a nice guy and who wasn't - and I got the impression he's played a few of them as well. Yet here he is, hanging out with us degens :unsure:

Grunfeld as an amateur against an FM+ would be a disaster. It's too hypermodern to handle against someone like that. It's Black's best for equality at the upper echelons right now, but it's a theoretical monster as well.

I'd rather go for a Nimzo.
If he goes 3. Nc3, then that would be interesting. Not sure he will, though. 2. c4 should be a lock.
Yes, a Nimzo player always has to have a backup in case of Nf3 on the 2nd or 3rd move. A modern Benoni would be interesting, but perhaps a little too sharp against him although White loses some options in the Nf3 lines. QID or Bogo is the usual pairing. QGD isn't a bad choice as White loses his sharper options, but I usually don't play those kind of positions.

For a complete chess novice, and half this stuff is like a foreign language, can group think/discussion from lesser skilled players beat a superior opponent? Does knowing he's playing against multiple people change his strategy all together? Or does he react as though it's one person making the moves and he's got a bunch of common responses to "X" move?

For a complete chess novice, and half this stuff is like a foreign language, can group think/discussion from lesser skilled players beat a superior opponent? Does knowing he's playing against multiple people change his strategy all together? Or does he react as though it's one person making the moves and he's got a bunch of common responses to "X" move?
It would be a net benefit to the group. Person #1 might see idea A, B, C / Person #2 might see idea A, B, D / Person #3 might see idea C, D, E. Being able to see all of these ideas and try refuting them in the group analysis will result a stronger move on average.

There's going to be times when idea A & B are equal and it's going to come down to a preference of playing styles/intuition.

OK guys. Nf6. Let's see what happens. I won't have much input on the opening; it's out of my element. Hopefully I'll learn something from you guys.

]For a complete chess novice, and half this stuff is like a foreign language, can group think/discussion from lesser skilled players beat a superior opponent? Does knowing he's playing against multiple people change his strategy all together? Or does he react as though it's one person making the moves and he's got a bunch of common responses to "X" move?
It's like reading an onslaught thread.

]For a complete chess novice, and half this stuff is like a foreign language, can group think/discussion from lesser skilled players beat a superior opponent? Does knowing he's playing against multiple people change his strategy all together? Or does he react as though it's one person making the moves and he's got a bunch of common responses to "X" move?
It's like reading an onslaught thread.
:lmao: I was going to respond with an onslaught move.

I'm still going to follow along.

Users who are viewing this thread