Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grateful zed

The Greatest Western Movie Stars of All Time

46 posts in this topic

Scrolled through with increasing concern until I hit Jack Elam two from the bottom

It would have been nice if they talked about some of they key roles which earned them a spot on the list instead of place of birth and family background.

It would have been nice if they talked about some of they key roles which earned them a spot on the list instead of place of birth and family background.

good point. ive seen their faces before but i cant quite put a finger on which movies they have been in.

"Wait, wait, wait! Here comes Lee Marvin! Thank God! He's always drunk and violent!"

1 person likes this

Kurt Russell?

Gotta add Kevin Costner. Starred in Open Range and Dances With Wolves and both are fantastic westerns.

4 people like this

If nothing else, the list shows you Westerns are basically a thing of the past. Every so often a good one comes around, but its a genre that has come and gone for the most part.

Gotta add Kevin Costner. Starred in Open Range and Dances With Wolves and both are fantastic westerns.

Yeah, a lot of people, many on this site, don't think he's a good actor. But he's perfect in a western role.

He was very good as Wyatt Earp too.

Decent list, but the fact that he's not on it brings it down a good notch. Some of these guys on the list have only been in one western. And some of those weren't that good.

Edited by Copeman
2 people like this

And Silverado

2 people like this

Scrolled through with increasing concern until I hit Jack Elam two from the bottom

No Andy Devine. Kind of a weird list.

Lee Van Cleef not in the top 10 is a crime

2 people like this

Master Ninja Theme Song

Master Ninja Theme Song

Once Upon A Time In The West is awesome.

I'll take one Claudia Cardinale, please.

1 person likes this

If nothing else, the list shows you Westerns are basically a thing of the past. Every so often a good one comes around, but its a genre that has come and gone for the most part.

I think there's an untapped market for Westerns out there. Between nostalgia and the promise of action, segments of the moviegoing public would be drawn in by them. If they were historically based, that would add to the market share. The scarce supply of Westerns today would only help the drawing power of a new one.

Other than stuff like Cowboys and Aliens, they are relatively cheap to produce (cast notwithstanding).

If I was a studio exec, I would be all over a basic Tombstone-style project.

Won't see another one after The Lone Ranger bombed harder than the Enola Gay.

Johnny Depp might as well have been in blackface.

There had to be a better choice than that.

The budget of The Lone Ranger was over $200M. I don't think the budgets of every spaghetti western made between 1960-75 added up to Depp's paycheck.

I don't think westerns have to have huge budgets. High Noon didn't have a CGI stampede or bullet cams. Industry practices for humane treatment of animals have complicated matters a bit but a western can be brought in at a relatively low cost.

But the increased importance of international box office is a big problem. The 19th century west of the 19th century is a tough sell for 21st century American audiences, but even harder in China and India.

Val Kilmer to low IMO.

Greatest western stars. Not greatest western roles.

Was gonna say. How is he not on there and on the top half?

Wyatt Earp is solid as well.

Yes. Unfortunately

Gene Hackmann was great in that one movie

Was gonna say. How is he not on there and on the top half?

Wyatt Earp is solid as well.

Yes! Can't believe I forgot Wyatt Earp and Silverado.

On 2/5/2016 at 1:11 PM, Andy Dufresne said:

Once Upon A Time In The West is awesome.

I'll take one Claudia Cardinale, please.

And a year before that - The Professionals

Not on list that should be - Bud Spencer, who got his stage name from Budweiser beer and Spencer Tracy

1 person likes this

Pretty good list.  Henry Fonda and Ben Murphy should be moved up though.  If they had a list for best character actors in westerns Victor McLaglen would be one of my favorites.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, rustycolts said:

Pretty good list.  Henry Fonda and Ben Murphy should be moved up though.  If they had a list for best character actors in westerns Victor McLaglen would be one of my favorites.

Fonda was great in westerns. Love his portrayal of Earp in My Darling Clementine

1 person likes this

On 2/5/2016 at 4:56 PM, tommyboy said:

Gene Hackmann was great in that one movie

He was in more than one Western: Unforgiven, The Quick & The Dead and Wyatt Earp.

No Gene Wilder on the list either? Guy hates actors named Gene. 

2 people like this