What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Greatest Western Movie Stars of All Time (1 Viewer)

It would have been nice if they talked about some of they key roles which earned them a spot on the list instead of place of birth and family background.

It would have been nice if they talked about some of they key roles which earned them a spot on the list instead of place of birth and family background.
good point. ive seen their faces before but i cant quite put a finger on which movies they have been in.

If nothing else, the list shows you Westerns are basically a thing of the past. Every so often a good one comes around, but its a genre that has come and gone for the most part.

Gotta add Kevin Costner. Starred in Open Range and Dances With Wolves and both are fantastic westerns.
Yeah, a lot of people, many on this site, don't think he's a good actor. But he's perfect in a western role.

He was very good as Wyatt Earp too.

Decent list, but the fact that he's not on it brings it down a good notch. Some of these guys on the list have only been in one western. And some of those weren't that good.

Last edited by a moderator:
If nothing else, the list shows you Westerns are basically a thing of the past. Every so often a good one comes around, but its a genre that has come and gone for the most part.
I think there's an untapped market for Westerns out there. Between nostalgia and the promise of action, segments of the moviegoing public would be drawn in by them. If they were historically based, that would add to the market share. The scarce supply of Westerns today would only help the drawing power of a new one.

Other than stuff like Cowboys and Aliens, they are relatively cheap to produce (cast notwithstanding).

If I was a studio exec, I would be all over a basic Tombstone-style project.

The budget of The Lone Ranger was over $200M. I don't think the budgets of every spaghetti western made between 1960-75 added up to Depp's paycheck.

I don't think westerns have to have huge budgets. High Noon didn't have a CGI stampede or bullet cams. Industry practices for humane treatment of animals have complicated matters a bit but a western can be brought in at a relatively low cost.

But the increased importance of international box office is a big problem. The 19th century west of the 19th century is a tough sell for 21st century American audiences, but even harder in China and India.

Pretty good list.  Henry Fonda and Ben Murphy should be moved up though.  If they had a list for best character actors in westerns Victor McLaglen would be one of my favorites.

He was in more than one Western: Unforgiven, The Quick & The Dead and Wyatt Earp.

No Gene Wilder on the list either? Guy hates actors named Gene. 
Bite the bullet and The hunting party too.  Candice Bergen being in them was a plus.

Speaking of Candice, Soldier Blue wasn't bad I guess.  Candice was the best thing about that movie though.

Users who are viewing this thread