What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Third Party/Independent*** Presidential Candidacy Thread (1 Viewer)

Mister CIA

Footballguy
Placeholder thread

Not expecting a lot of noise at this moment, but it's coming. I would love to see a dagger thrust into the floundering D and R parties.

Bloomberg/Webb checks a lot of boxes. Who do you have?

ETA: Taps out of Sober February [/official]

Last edited by a moderator:
Your title has two different ideas.

IMO, a single independent candidate will never win a single electoral vote in this country. They can impact elections, but can't win themselves.

On the other hand, a third party might- if it's well organized and presented as an alternative to one of the two main existing political parties. But that takes time. It's not going to happen this election, or during any existing election- the following has to happen:

1. The party has to be formed by respectable, known, political thinkers.

2. Well known, respectable politicians who are not perceived as extremist have to leave their existing political parties and join the new party.

This takes years most likely, but once it happens, a third party could in time win elections and even the Presidency.

There's a high probability I go this route.

Gary Johnson will get a long look from me....

Not a big fan of Bloomberg, but he's better than Clinton and Trump.

I love Webb on the issues and his resume, but he ran such a floundering campaign, that it raises doubts about his effectiveness....

Your title has two different ideas.

IMO, a single independent candidate will never win a single electoral vote in this country. They can impact elections, but can't win themselves.

On the other hand, a third party might- if it's well organized and presented as an alternative to one of the two main existing political parties. But that takes time. It's not going to happen this election, or during any existing election- the following has to happen:

1. The party has to be formed by respectable, known, political thinkers.

2. Well known, respectable politicians who are not perceived as extremist have to leave their existing political parties and join the new party.

This takes years most likely, but once it happens, a third party could in time win elections and even the Presidency.
Times are changing, and fast; and the two parties are teetering.

I love Webb on the issues and his resume, but he ran such a floundering campaign, that it raises doubts about his effectiveness....
I'd like to see Bernie consider Webb. I know that Jim is more conservative in many areas but would be a good mix and would add some foreign policy chops to the admin.

I'd like to see Bernie consider Webb. I know that Jim is more conservative in many areas but would be a good mix and would add some foreign policy chops to the admin.
I'd vote for this.

I'm glad you started this but I was enjoying the thread started by Tom.

It's Gary Johnson by default right now

I don't think I can do Green Party with Jill Stein.

If Webb gets in I'm almost certain to vote for him.

Huntsman was making noises.

Bloomberg I'd consider against the right opponents.

Only scenario where I don't vote for Johnson is if Cruz wins the nomination and the polling in Texas for the general looks close, which it won't.

I'd probably vote for Mike Bloomberg or Gary Johnson before I'd vote for any of the Democrats or Republicans currently running.

I don't know enough about Rubio to rule him out as a possibility.

There's a lot I like about Sanders, but I disagree with him very strongly on some issues that I think are pretty important.

Hillary has a great résumé, but she's a true politician in the worst sense.

No way I'd ever vote for Cruz or Trump.

Please get in the Presidential campaign as an independent, Jim Webb. Your country needs you again. Like when you killed that guy. TIA.

As one who has voted third party the last two federal elections, I must say that once again I am considering it. I used to be one of the many blind voters that would go straight Republican or straight Democrat, and after awhile

I thought this was asinine. I tend to lean towards more Libertarian values, but even that party has its issues and some things I don't agree with.

Everyone has to realize at one time or another there is no such thing as a perfect party or a perfect candidate, so vote who you feel fits your values/ideas closest. For me, even though I don't agree with everything, I go with

the Libertarian candidate, unless its some whack-job.

I'm just going to start using this space to sort of audition 3rd party / indie candidates. Right now my default candidate is Gary Johnson but we will see if there is anyone else and we will see where this goes.

Government Spending

By the time Barack Obama leaves office, the national debt will be $20 TRILLION. That is not just obscene, it is unsustainable — and arguably the single greatest threat to our national security.
Responsibility for the years of deficit spending that have created our debt crisis rests squarely with BOTH the Republicans and the Democrats. The debt doubled under President George W. Bush — and doubled again under President Obama. During that time, both parties enjoyed control of Congress, and the deficit spending just kept piling up.
It doesn’t have to be that way, despite what the politicians say. But the idea that we can somehow balance the federal budget without cutting military spending and reforming entitlements is fantasy. What is required is leadership and political courage. As Governor of a state with an overwhelmingly Democrat legislature, Gary Johnson stood up to excess spending, vetoed 750 bills and literally thousands of budget line items…and balanced the state’s budget.
Governor Johnson has pledged that his first major act as President will be to submit to Congress a truly balanced budget. No gimmicks, no imaginary cuts in the distant future. Real reductions to bring spending into line with revenues, without tax increases. No line in the budget will be immune from scrutiny and reduction. And he pledges to veto any legislation that will result in deficit spending, forcing Congress to override his veto in order to spend money we don’t have.
No excuses. No games. A REAL balanced budget.

Taxes

Today’s federal tax code does all the wrong things. It penalizes productivity, savings and investment, while rewarding inefficiency and designating winners and losers according to political whim. For far too long, tax laws have been used not just as a means to collect needed revenues, but as a weapon with which to manipulate our behavior, create and destroy industries and fulfill politicians’ dreams of social engineering. The result is a tax code that is more than 70,000 pages long enforced by a government agency with almost 100,000 employees.
It is a nothing less than a massive deployment of government force on our lives, our finances and our freedom.
Governor Johnson advocates the elimination of tax subsidies, the double taxation embodied in business income taxes, and ultimately, the replacement of all income and payroll taxes with a single consumption tax that will allow every American and every business to determine their tax burden by making their own spending decisions. Taxes on purchases for basic necessities would be “prebated”, with all other purchases taxed equally regardless of income, status or purpose.
Many leading economists have long advocated such a shift in the way we are taxed, and Gary Johnson believes the time has come to eliminate the punishing tax code we have today and replace it with a system that rewards productivity, investment and savings. The IRS as we know it today would no longer be necessary, and Americans would no longer need to live in fear of the force of government being wielded under the guise of tax collection.

Term Limits

Americans are increasingly frustrated, even angry, that — regardless of which political party is in control — nothing really changes in Washington, DC. The spending continues unchecked. The wars continue. Government keeps taking away more freedom. This disastrous allegiance to the status quo by career politicians is a direct result of the reality that those politicians are more concerned about keeping their jobs than about doing what needs to be done. That’s why Gary Johnson is a strong advocate of term limits. Run for office, spend a few years doing the job at hand, and then return to private life. That’s what Gary Johnson did as Governor, and that’s what Senators and Representatives should do.

Jobs

During the 2012 campaign, Gary Johnson was lauded for having the best “job creation” record of all the former governors running for President. His response: “As Governor, I didn’t create a single job.” His point, of course, being that government doesn’t create jobs — except for itself. Entrepreneurs, growing companies and a robust economy create jobs.
Government’s role is to create and maintain a regulatory and tax environment in which private job-creators can prosper. Gary Johnson did that as Governor, and would do so as President. Government regulation should only exist to protect citizens from bad actors and the harm they might do to health, safety and property. Regulation should not be used to manipulate behavior, manage private lives and businesses, and to place unnecessary burdens on those who make our economy work. Eliminating unnecessary regulations and applying common sense to those rules that are necessary will free up capital and allow those who want and need to create jobs to do so.
Likewise, adopting the tax reforms Governor Johnson advocates will literally create millions of jobs. While most politicians, Democrats and Republicans alike, suggest that modest reductions in business taxes might create jobs, Gary Johnson believes eliminating income taxes on businesses will transform the U.S. into the “job magnet” of the world. Why would any corporation move its operations off-shore when the best tax “haven” on the planet is right here at home?

Personal Freedom

When you ask Americans today what the greatest threat to their individual liberties is, far too often the response is: “The government”. That is simply unacceptable in a nation that was literally founded on the notion of liberty.
Imagine the disgust of the Founding Fathers if they were to see the national government spying on citizens’ private communications, monitoring financial transactions, photographing license plates, and even demanding to know what a person is doing at a public library — all without warrants or due process of law.
Imagine their shock to learn that the government has decided it is appropriate to tell adults what they can put in their bodies — and even put them in jail for using marijuana, while allowing those same adults to consume alcohol and encouraging the medical profession to pump out addictive, deadly painkillers at will.
The list goes on, but the point is clear: Decades of ever-more-intrusive government has steadily eroded personal freedom in this country. Adults are no longer free to make their own decisions, and virtually no part of Americans’ private lives are today safe from government scrutiny and regulation.
Gary Johnson believes government should be truly limited — limited in the way the Founders envisioned. Responsible adults should be free to marry whom they want, arm themselves if they want, make their own decisions about their bodies, and lead their personal lives as they see fit — as long as no harm is done to others. And they should be able to do so without unconstitutional scrutiny by the NSA, the ATF, the DEA or any other government agency.

Foreign Policy and National Defense

The objective of both our foreign policy and our military should be straightforward: To protect us from harm and to allow the exercise of our freedoms.
Looking back over the past couple of decades, it is difficult to see how the wars we have waged, the interventions we have conducted, the lives sacrificed and the trillions spent on the other side of the globe have made us safer. The chaotic, reactive military and foreign policies of the past two Presidents have, if anything, created an environment that has allowed real threats to our safety to flourish.
Radical Islam and sharia ideology were not created by our actions, but they have prospered in the wake of the instability to which our actions contributed. And while our leaders have thrust our military and our resources into regime changes, failed nation-building and interventions that have strained valuable strategic relationships, the murderers of ISIS, Al Qaeda and other violent extremes have found new homes, established the caliphate of their warped dreams and secured the resources to become very real threats to our lives and our liberty.
As President, Gary Johnson will move quickly and decisively to refocus U.S. efforts and resources to attack the real threats we face in a strategic, thoughtful way. The U.S. must get serious about cutting off the millions of dollars that are flowing into the extremists’ coffers every day. Relationships with strategic allies must be repaired and reinforced. And the simplistic options of “more boots on the ground” and dropping more bombs must be replaced with strategies that will isolate and ultimately neuter those who would, if able, destroy the very liberties on which this nation is founded.

Immigration

Having served as Governor of a border state, Gary Johnson understands immigration. He understands that a robust flow of labor, regulated not by politics, but by the marketplace, is essential. He understands that a bigger fence will only produce taller ladders and deeper tunnels, and that the flow of illegal immigrants across the border is not a consequence of too little security, but rather a legal immigration system that simply doesn’t work. Militarizing the border, bigger fences, and other punitive measures espoused by too many politicians are all simplistic “solutions” to a problem caused by artificial quotas, bureaucratic incompetence and the shameful failure of Congress to actually put in place an immigration system that matches reality.
Governor Johnson has long advocated a simplified and secure system of work visas by which willing workers and willing employers can meet in a robust labor marketplace efficiently and economically. Aspiring immigrants would undergo a background check, pay taxes and provide proof of employment.
Making it simpler and efficient to enter the U.S. legally will provide the greatest security possible, allowing law enforcement to focus its time and resources on the criminals and bad actors who are, in reality, a relatively small portion of those who are today entering the country illegally.

Criminal Justice Reform

How is it that the United States, the land of the free, has one of the highest incarceration rates in the world?
The answer is simple: Over time, the politicians have “criminalized” far too many aspects of people’s personal lives. The failed War on Drugs is, of course, the greatest example. Well over 100 million Americans have, at one time or another, used marijuana. Yet, today, simple possession and use of marijuana remains a crime — despite the fact that a majority of Americans now favor its legalization.
More generally, mandatory minimum sentences for a wide range of offenses and other efforts by politicians to be “tough” have removed far too much common-sense discretion from judges and prosecutors.
These factors, combined with the simple fact that we have too many unnecessary laws, have produced a society with too many people in our prisons and jails, too many undeserving individuals saddled with criminal records, and a seriously frayed relationship between law enforcement and those they serve.
Fortunately, a growing number of state and local governments are taking steps toward meaningful criminal justice reform. The federal government must do the same, and Gary Johnson is committed to bringing real leadership to this long-overdue effort.

Internet Freedom and Security

Gary Johnson has often said, “There is nothing wrong with the Internet that I want the government to fix.”
The Internet has literally changed the world, and has done so largely without interference from the government. It is no coincidence that the unprecedented innovation and entrepreneurship — and the resulting improvements in our quality of life — that has occurred in cyberspace has happened in one of the last refuges of freedom.
It needs to stay that way.
Yet, there are increasing calls for government regulation and intrusion into the Internet. From some politicians’ suggestions of a government “kill switch” to recently-passed so-called Cyber Security legislation, the government is determined to insert itself into our freedom to communicate, conduct business and seek information via the Web.
The government is even demanding that it be granted special “back doors” into encrypted, private information held and moved by Internet providers. The excuse is security — a laughable concept from a government that has proven time after time to be incapable of protecting even the most basic data.
Gary Johnson has consistently opposed these attempts at government interference with the Internet, and as President, would return the government to the side of freedom and innovation — not regulation.
https://garyjohnson2016.com/issues/

I take it Gary Johnson still needs to get the Libertarian Party nomination in order to get on the ballot in LA where I could vote for him.

Peterson's website is horrible. The menu at the top takes up way too much space.

Stein seems to have pretty much cribbed from Bernie's platform.
Well he doesn't come across as a pro.

Is he technically competing with Johnson for the Libertarian nomination? What's going on there, is the Lib party going htrough the same nomination process as the Dems and GOP?

Is he technically competing with Johnson for the Libertarian nomination? What's going on there, is the Lib party going htrough the same nomination process as the Dems and GOP?
I don't have a very good grasp on the nomination process for the Libertarian party. I think they have primary voting in a few states (I know they do in California). But I believe that voters are simply stating a preference, not electing any pledged delegates. I don't think there's any such thing as pledged delegates in the Libertarian party -- all the delegates are effectively superdelegates who can pick whomever they want at the convention.

Even though there are like 15 people who've announced that they're running, I don't think there's anything resembling a serious challenger to Gary Johnson.

This website talks more about Gary Johnson being President than Gary Johnson talks about being President. Does he really want to become President or is he happy with just having his name on the ballot. It doesn't seem like he is putting much effort into it.

Here are his "events". He isn't going to spread the word very fast by limiting each event to one voter.

This website talks more about Gary Johnson being President than Gary Johnson talks about being President. Does he really want to become President or is he happy with just having his name on the ballot. It doesn't seem like he is putting much effort into it.

Here are his "events". He isn't going to spread the word very fast by limiting each event to one voter.
If don't think anyone on the list of possible 3rd party candidates are going to mount a serious campaign, the best I think people can do is look to vote for someone who will somewhat align with their views and also at least seem decent, capable and qualified.

Now I think given the current two main party choices if someone legitimate did put up a serious effort they could do quite well.

I wouldn't be so sure about this. Perot managed nearly 20% of the vote in '92, and that was against real viable candidates. Not the mess we have today. 

It probably won't happen this year. But if this continues, it wouldn't surprise me if a strong moderate candidate realized they couldn't win the nomination of either party, but could pull enough votes to make a strong showing in the general election. 

If don't think anyone on the list of possible 3rd party candidates are going to mount a serious campaign, the best I think people can do is look to vote for someone who will somewhat align with their views and also at least seem decent, capable and qualified.

Now I think given the current two main party choices if someone legitimate did put up a serious effort they could do quite well.
The lack of effort is what bothers me. Why isn't he out there trying? I'd be out at the same locations as the primary party candidates. That's where the media is. Get some exposure. If it's about money, Bernie did an amazing job of raising money. There isn't any reason Johnson couldn't try to do the same. Holding private dinners isn't going to get it done. Starting in July isn't going to get it done. If there was ever a year to try, this is it. I can't see wasting a vote on him if he doesn't seem to care.

He's said that one of his mistakes in 2012 was putting any effort into the campaign during the primary season. It was all a waste. His plan this time is to not really do very much until July or August...

I think he'd like to be President, but he realizes he has no chance. I think he'd be over-the-top ecstatic with 5% of the popular vote (and even that is unrealistic).

He's said that one of his mistakes in 2012 was putting any effort into the campaign during the primary season. It was all a waste. His plan this time is to not really do very much until July or August...

I think he'd like to be President, but he realizes he has no chance. I think he'd be over-the-top ecstatic with 5% of the popular vote (and even that is unrealistic).
I dunno, someone needs to take a page from Sanders, we are not bound by the old way of doing things. Work hard, campaign hard, get young voters involved, build the crowds, be active and energized.

I dunno, someone needs to take a page from Sanders, we are not bound by the old way of doing things. Work hard, campaign hard, get young voters involved, build the crowds, be active and energized.
Let's be honest, it's next to impossible to gain any traction running outside of the 2 parties- the reason Bernie has done so is because he's running as a Dem.  Now that he has an audience he could really grow a 3rd party movement, but he won't do that unfortunately.

Let's be honest, it's next to impossible to gain any traction running outside of the 2 parties- the reason Bernie has done so is because he's running as a Dem.  Now that he has an audience he could really grow a 3rd party movement, but he won't do that unfortunately.
I agree, it's wishful thinking on my part.

That really makes me question him. That really is a pretty dumb strategy. He essentially has had 4 years to become a well known candidate and instead has chosen to only work for 3 months. He really doesn't deserve to be President if he isn't willing to put more effort into it than that. 

With the media wondering every day who is going to be the 3rd candidate, he needs to step up and scream that it's him. He could be courting all the Bernie supporters and anti-Trump people. He's foolish to let this opportunity pass.

Holy sshhhhh+.

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/32212254770/32212254991/32212254992/32212254994/32212254995/30064771087/7714a05b-515f-4ad3-bdaa-e72a6e5f8e61.pdf

A new national poll from Monmouth University explores how things would shake out in a three-way contest between Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, and libertarian hopeful Gary Johnson. While support for Clinton and Trump far outpaces love for the Libertarian Party (LP) candidate, Johnson did wind up polling in the double-digits, with support pulled from both the Trump and Clinton camps. 

In a hypothetical two-way race between Clinton and Trump race, 48 percent of poll respondents chose Clinton and 38 percent chose Trump. But enter Johnson, the former governor of New Mexico (as a Republican) and the current frontrunner among LP presidential candidates. With Johnson in the mix, Clinton earned just 42 percent of the hypothetical vote and Trump just 34 percent.

Johnson, meanwhile, was the top choice for 11 percent of those polled. His highest vote share came from Republican-leaning states.  
http://reason.com/blog/2016/03/24/gary-johnson-could-pull-support-from-bot

Frank Luntz Verified account @FrankLuntz

General election:

• Hillary: 48%

• Trump: 38%

…with 3rd party:

• Hillary: 42%

• Trump: 34%

@GovGaryJohnson: 11%

I'm sorta surprised that 11% of the public even knows who he is.

But if turns out that those three are the three top candidates, I could imagine Johnson benefitting from the unpopularity of Trump.

Just as an anecdote, I saw a high school buddy last week.  This guy would very much be considered an establishment Republican.  Worked on the hill for many years for a Republican Congressman.  Had a paid staff position for Bush's 2004 Presidential campaign.  As far as I know votes Republican every election. He told me that he refuses to vote for Trump or Cruz but that he couldn't imagine himself voting for Hillary.  He also claimed many of his Republican buddies felt the same way.  Said he just wouldn't vote for President, but I think maybe Gary Johnson could appeal to him or similar voters, if nothing else but a protest vote against Trump.

After Sanders loses and Trump gets screwed, I think a 3rd party run of Trump/Sanders could make it a 3 party race. They will suck voters from both parties. Not that it will ever happen but if Trump is pissed enough, he may reach out. Bernie accepting is another matter.

I'm sorta surprised that 11% of the public even knows who he is.

But if turns out that those three are the three top candidates, I could imagine Johnson benefitting from the unpopularity of Trump.

Just as an anecdote, I saw a high school buddy last week.  This guy would very much be considered an establishment Republican.  Worked on the hill for many years for a Republican Congressman.  Had a paid staff position for Bush's 2004 Presidential campaign.  As far as I know votes Republican every election. He told me that he refuses to vote for Trump or Cruz but that he couldn't imagine himself voting for Hillary.  He also claimed many of his Republican buddies felt the same way.  Said he just wouldn't vote for President, but I think maybe Gary Johnson could appeal to him or similar voters, if nothing else but a protest vote against Trump.
I'm a big Johnson fan, but if you replace his name with "someone else", I think it gets 9%

I seem to recall that if a third party, or a forth or fifth for that matter were to receive 6% of the popular vote in a general election that they would be eligible for matching campaign fund in the next election.  I don't know that my impression was, or remains correct, but federal matching funds may note be a bad interim goal for an alternative party. Perhaps you, or someone else may know if my impression is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread