What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devontae Booker (1 Viewer)

Devontae Booker - RB -  Broncos

Devontae Booker rushed three times for nine yards in the Broncos' third preseason game.

Booker's stat line would have looked much better, but he had a 16-yard gain called back by a hold. More importantly, he played 15 of Case Keenum's 33 snaps, five more than Royce Freeman. The duo was about even on snaps prior to the two-minute drive, but it is still clear Booker will have at worst a passing-down role early in the season.

Aug 24 - 10:20 PM

Raiders signed RB Devontae Booker, formerly of the Broncos.

Booker had a third-down role in each of his first three NFL seasons in Denver, but he lost his offensive gig last season with Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman handling almost all running back touches. Booker will have to be a special teamer to make the Raiders' active roster. At best, he's the third running back behind Josh Jacobs and Jalen Richard. This is another move that questions if Las Vegas envisions Jacobs in a true three-down role. 

RELATED: 

Denver Broncos

May 6, 2020, 10:30 PM ET

Just seems like yesterday that Jake Plummer was on the slopes announcing the Booker pick and everyone had him as their sleeper RB that year.

Anything to see here?  I have to start him as my RB2 this week to due to byes and injuries, yuck, i know.  But he seems to be coming on an Richard is hurt I think.......

Also, who is this guy, any weight in what he is saying about booker....he seems REALLY high on him:

https://www.raiders.com/news/raiders-mailbag-don-t-call-it-a-comeback-for-devontae-booker

Rick Belka asks..

"Going forward, are you planning on utilizing Booker as much as you have been in the last few weeks?"

This is the last call to jump on the Devontae Booker bandwagon before it leaves the station.

On paper, Booker had to face long odds to be as heavily involved in this offense as he is. The former Denver Bronco signed with the Silver and Black in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, learned the playbook through YouTube videos and Zoom meetings and beat out a short list of running backs in training camp for the backup spot behind Josh Jacobs.
Does he have a direct line to what the raiders are gonna do?

Last edited by a moderator:
ahartig said:
Anything to see here?  I have to start him as my RB2 this week to due to byes and injuries, yuck, i know.  But he seems to be coming on an Richard is hurt I think.......

Also, who is this guy, any weight in what he is saying about booker....he seems REALLY high on him:

https://www.raiders.com/news/raiders-mailbag-don-t-call-it-a-comeback-for-devontae-booker

I am not familiar with the author. I would be curious to hear what Raiders fans think about this too.

I dont think any journalist has a direct line to what a NFL team is going to do. The coaches try like hell to prevent that from happening. The piece is just saying to jump on the bandwagon. You can cheer for the guy without that meaning he is going to get the ball a lot.

I am a fan of Booker and its nice to see him having some success. I have no illusions about him usurping Josh Jacobs job though. The Raiders won't be able to run the ball so much in every game, especially not against teams that can score points on them. 

Devontae Booker rushed five times for six yards in the Raiders' Week 12 loss to the Falcons.

He caught 1-of-4 targets for -1 yards. Josh Jacobs didn't perform any better in the 37-point loss, rushing seven times for 27 yards before leaving with an ankle injury late in the third quarter following a lost fumble. If Jacobs needs to miss time, Booker will be an RB2 next week against the Jets in a bounce-back spot for the Raiders.

- Rotoworld

‘twas very lightly owned going into this week (12% owned in Yahoo) which is surprising bc IMO he has a direct line to at least RB2 usage

Also, WAY MORE giddy up this year than what I remember from his Denver days. Best NFL healthy & change of scenery did him well.

Any news on the Jacob injury? Last I heard he has a chance to play this weekend. 
gotta watch the practice reports but everything I’ve heard is it looked worse than it was.

but it’s that time of year - if they get up early/big, I could see letting Booker have a bigger share this week. after getting rocked by the Falcons I doubt Gruden is thinking that way RN. 

just think about it, though - Hyde outtouching Carson, Williams gettting more of the load than Jones, Murray being the focal point instead of Kamara. wanna keep the bell cow fresh for the divisional games and the playoffs.

Where do we rank Booker if Jacobs is out this week. Jacobs did not practice again today.
RB15-20

Very good matchup and he’s looked much more dynamic - darn near electric - in his 2020 opportunities. It’s like he’s not even the same guy that struggled with injuries for years in Denver. Good pass catcher as well, very solid floor IMO. For (likely) one week.

Las Vegas's line is solid and they might get Trent Brown back at tackle for them. Right now, only one member of the line is listed as a limited participant on the injury report. Another is listed as a full participant.

Would absolutely prioritize Booker in waivers; I wrote about him in a post in the Homestretch Week 13 waivers thread. He's a great add for the fantasy playoffs and I'd cut Leonard Fournette and maybe Alexander Mattison to grab Booker.
I think Booker is a valuable fantasy roster addition, but mostly as a high-end backup.  I do not get a sense that the Raiders expect Jacobs to miss much time, if any, for his current ankle sprain.  I agree that ankle sprains can linger or flare back up, but I understand this is a mild sprain, and I doubt the Raiders will feel compelled to put Jacobs back on the field this week against a struggling Jets' team if his ankle is not stable.  I trust Booker to put up RB1/RB2 numbers in a starting role, especially in PPR leagues, but I would only trust him if Jacobs is out.

Jacobs ruled out this week. Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em. 

Picked up Booker for a buck this morning.  Finally something going my way this week.
Wow! I picked him up for free at 4:24 a.m. after waivers cleared he was still there. I did about 15 minutes of research and finally decided worth the risk. Lottery ticket RB 2 or Flex with Connor on the shelf and Swift not himself, and CMC on a bye. Start Gibson and now it looks like Booker. Booker - Harrison Ford.

Is this the same guy that was super-hyped up about Bryan Edwards this summer?

This forum is definitely the quickest way to find an answer. Much quicker then the cheat sheets adjustments. 

Perhaps a notification is sent via any number of apps, but nevertheless, it happens pretty quick here.

Just plugged in D Booker as a start and will watch his rankings climb... how high does it go?

Not too get ahead of ourselves and lots of disappointments have occurred before, but I gotta sense that Booker is gonna have a big game. 
I'd hold horses on this one. Jets rush defense is eighth against the run in Football Outsiders' DVOA rankings. It's their pass defense and offense that are atrocious. They're dead last in pass defense. I wouldn't look for Booker to have a ton of yards, but he may pick up a cheapie or two from inside the five because getting there is so easy against these Swiss cheese corners, basically guys off of practice squads or the street.

I'd hold horses on this one. Jets rush defense is eighth against the run in Football Outsiders' DVOA rankings. It's their pass defense and offense that are atrocious. They're dead last in pass defense. I wouldn't look for Booker to have a ton of yards, but he may pick up a cheapie or two from inside the five because getting there is so easy against these Swiss cheese corners, basically guys off of practice squads or the street.
I kinda of agree with you here. My big PPR flex decision is between Booker and Hunt, I want to go with Booker and the volume but my biggest concern is the Raiders do not seem to throw to their RB's much unless I'm mistaken.

I kinda of agree with you here. My big PPR flex decision is between Booker and Hunt, I want to go with Booker and the volume but my biggest concern is the Raiders do not seem to throw to their RB's much unless I'm mistaken.
Jacobs has seen more targets than last year. Carr looks to go short and intermediate, so there's that. Booker may very well have a good game, all I'm saying is that it's not a walk because it's the Jets.

The thing that's interesting is Jacobs went from "it's minor" to "eh just resting missing a practice" to "he out Sunday and he hope he can play next Sunday". That's a very weird track unless a) smoke and mirrors by the Raiders b) he suffered some sort of anomaly (extra swelling). Jon Gruden isn't really the type of guy that rests nicked-up players in games the team should win. I mean I don't think it's a high-ankle sprain, but just very odd how the Raiders treated this.

Great call out, run D is what the Jets do really well. There is also the fact that both Richard and Riddick are in the mix. 

I picked up Booker and am starting him with lack of other options. And I expect at least 15 carries. The hope is that the Raiders get out and stay out ahead and play ball control and use the run to grind, grind, grind.

I think the team loves what they see in Booker and will give him every opportunity, but would not assume a break out game.

Jets are 8th worst D at giving up fantasy points relative to average. Their stats would be worse but have had some matchups against teams with lots of RB injuries. The run D could be the best thing the Jets do and still be terrible. 

Interesting.  On a fantasy points per game basis, the Jets rank as the eighth worst against opposing RBs.  I like Booker to get the volume this Sunday to up decent fantasy numbers, even if he does not get 100 yards rushing.

From memory they sucked against faster backs earlier in the year

phins and KC bailed on the run vs the jets

bolts tried but sucked

NE ran a lot buf  not so much and did decent 

Decent production passing 

With Trent Brown back, and erasing last week from their brains, looking like 60-80 on the ground with a TD hopefully 5 plus targets too

From memory they sucked against faster backs earlier in the year

phins and KC bailed on the run vs the jets

bolts tried but sucked

NE ran a lot buf  not so much and did decent 

Decent production passing 

With Trent Brown back, and erasing last week from their brains, looking like 60-80 on the ground with a TD hopefully 5 plus targets too
Yes, even if he doesn’t kill it on the ground, he should be very involved in the passing game. 

For reference, I am tentatively starting Booker over Zeke, Swift and Singletary.
Despite the mess in Dallas, benching Zeke is a bold move. Could be right. 

I'm starting him in one league in a must win (for the division, loser still goes to the playoffs) as a flex over Schultz, j cook, Everett, ballage, Gage, and a few others. But those guys aren't Zeke level even given his recent problems.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I expect him to get the full workload in a way that Jacobs has yet to and for Booker to be an rb1 despite being below average talent

Despite the mess in Dallas, benching Zeke is a bold move. Could be right. 

I'm starting him in one league in a must win (for the division, loser still goes to the playoffs) as a flex over Schultz, j cook, Everett, ballage, Gage, and a few others. But those guys aren't Zeke level even given his recent problems.
I would not bench Zeke for Booker. Booker is not a great talent.  He is a solid RB that should have 15-16 carries for 75 yards, 1 TD, and 3 catches for 25 yards.  I bet the receiving backs are in the game 1/3 of the time.  

Despite the mess in Dallas, benching Zeke is a bold move. Could be right

I would not bench Zeke for Booker. Booker is not a great talent.  He is a solid RB that should have 15-16 carries for 75 yards, 1 TD, and 3 catches for 25 yards.  I bet the receiving backs are in the game 1/3 of the time.  
Those types of numbers are solid (19.0 ppr fantasy points).  I am not as bullish on either Booker or Zeke as you are!  I am projecting Booker to get more like 60 yards rushing, and hopefully he finds the end zone, plus a reception or two.  I think he has a fair chance to exceed those numbers, however.

Zeke has consistently underperformed this season.  He has failed to even reach double digits in ppr fantasy points in all but two games since Dak went down, and Baltimore is a top 10 defense against opposing RBs.  

I am in a good position, in that I have already won my division and secured a week #14 bye, but I have the opportunity to possibly eliminate my toughest opponent from the playoffs with this week's game.

It may be more difficult to bench Zeke when the games are more meaningful, although if he continues to produce at his current pace, benching Zeke will be the obvious choice.

Booker may be a one-week waiver wire rental, but he should be a decent RB2 this week.  Booker is not Jacobs, and he may not produce Jacobs-type numbers this week, especially as a receiver, but Booker has looked pretty solid when he has seen the field this season.  

If not against the Jets, then when would you consider Booker?  To quote Ghoti, "Smoke 'em if you got 'em"!"

Jacobs ruled out this week. Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em. 
All aboard the Booker express this week.  Giddy up!

One of the things that has limited backs against the Jets is getting benched for a backup in a blowout. I think we will see Booker all game. 

Richard? It seems all the raiders backs catch a few passes here and there. Including Booker.

Richard? It seems all the raiders backs catch a few passes here and there. Including Booker.
Yes Jalen Richard. They also have Theo Riddick who hasn't played since week 4 but he can catch passes.

They do. If I add them all up the RB average 5 targets per game. 3 to Jacobs 1 to Booker 1 to Richard. So perhaps that distribution continues with Riddick stepping up to the 3rd spot while Jacobs is out.

Yes.   I consider Richard and Riddick to be pass catching backs more than running backs.   Ugh.   You know what mean.  I any case, I expect Booker to handle 2/3 of the touches and to put up RB 2 numbers.  

Users who are viewing this thread