What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Free Agency-There is NO Offseason-Post Rumors Here (1 Viewer)

That's a fake account.

Look at the way Schefter is spelled, with a "c" in the middle?
Oh geesh, didn't notice. Nice catch. I'll delete first post

FWIW It was that DeMarco is rumored to be going to an AFC team and then a while later the Texans.

Oh geesh, didn't notice. Nice catch. I'll delete first post

FWIW It was that DeMarco is rumored to be going to an AFC team and then a while later the Texans.
I don't doubt it. We're discussing it in the Eagles thread, they're shedding all of Chip's personnel moves it seems. Texans would be a perfect fit too, if they had the cap space to net Murray and a QB.

I don't doubt it. We're discussing it in the Eagles thread, they're shedding all of Chip's personnel moves it seems. Texans would be a perfect fit too, if they had the cap space to net Murray and a QB.
He was there three years. I see that reaction on twitter but really it's just shedding his big contracts.

It's pretty normal in NFL if you're paid highly and don't produce. 

Somewhat contradictory to what I just wrote but...

Alteraun Verner was not released by Bucs. Very highly paid CB, benched last year...must still have faith in him. Today most expensive backup CB in football

Somewhat contradictory to what I just wrote but...

Alteraun Verner was not released by Bucs. Very highly paid CB, benched last year...must still have faith in him. Today most expensive backup CB in football
He and Banks are rumored to be getting another shot with the new defensive scheme instead of being hung out to dry with Lovie's.

Maxwell signed a 6 yr 63 mil contract last year, played poorly. As of now, the Fins are not giving up much of a pick but more a "take our bad contract" type trade.

Very sketchy just trying to pass along info
So they are cutting Grimes at $8M per season to bring on a poor performing Maxwell at $10M per season? Why would they do that? Do they think they can restructure Maxwell for a lot cheaper? Maybe the Eagles are eating a bunch of that, but his 2016 salary of $8.5M is guaranteed and the rest is at $9-10M salary per year.

Has Grimes fallen off badly? He's 32 now, but All-Pro 2013/2014 and pro-bowl 2015 as well. Maxwell was atrocious last year.

So they are cutting Grimes at $8M per season to bring on a poor performing Maxwell at $10M per season? Why would they do that? Do they think they can restructure Maxwell for a lot cheaper? Maybe the Eagles are eating a bunch of that, but his 2016 salary of $8.5M is guaranteed and the rest is at $9-10M salary per year.

Has Grimes fallen off badly? He's 32 now, but All-Pro 2013/2014 and pro-bowl 2015 as well. Maxwell was atrocious last year.

Grimes was not good last year.  Pro bowl selection was name only.  More than that, his wife is an absolute nightmare.  Tweets openly about how awful Tannehill is, and how bad of a coaching staff was in place.  Tweets things that likely came from inside the locker room.  She even referred to one of her follower's prom dates as a "fat pig" after he criticized her for a rude comment about Tannehill.  This is a high school kid.  Unacceptable (unless you are running for president I guess).  Completely obnoxious, and although Grimes always seemed like a professional, his wife is baggage that no NFL team should want to carry.  He refused a pay cut - probably because he wanted out.  I believe he will find the market unkind, even with the need for quality CBs.  

Grimes was not good last year.  Pro bowl selection was name only.  More than that, his wife is an absolute nightmare.  Tweets openly about how awful Tannehill is, and how bad of a coaching staff was in place.  Tweets things that likely came from inside the locker room.  She even referred to one of her follower's prom dates as a "fat pig" after he criticized her for a rude comment about Tannehill.  This is a high school kid.  Unacceptable (unless you are running for president I guess).  Completely obnoxious, and although Grimes always seemed like a professional, his wife is baggage that no NFL team should want to carry.  He refused a pay cut - probably because he wanted out.  I believe he will find the market unkind, even with the need for quality CBs.  
Well there you go. Makes complete sense now to a guy who was just looking at $$$s and performance stats (Grimes #s from 2015, INTs, PDs and tackles wasn't much different from 2013 & 2014).

Well there you go. Makes complete sense now to a guy who was just looking at $$$s and performance stats (Grimes #s from 2015, INTs, PDs and tackles wasn't much different from 2013 & 2014).

He never got beat before last year.  Last year he got beat fairly regularly.  He ranked 45 of 111 CBs by I believe PFF.  Thats not horrible..decent CB2, weak CB1.  That, along with advancing age, and his baggage, and I am not all that upset to see him go.  He was great for a few years though!

Holy hell, that lady is off her rocker. Damn, I was thinking Grimes could be a nice Tillman/Harper depth player if he would come cheap, but Jerry Richardson is never gonna want that idiot's tweets going on here in Charlotte.

ChuckLiddell said:
Yep.  Grimes was gone with or without this trade.  Miko is absolutely crazy.

menobrown said:
Personally I think he is a very over rated injury prone player who is not really good at anything.
Yes I'm quoting myself but I said the comment above today about Allen. Now he resigned a healthy contract to say in Indy. Normally I might second guess my opinion but we are talking about Grigson so I think I'll stand on what I said earlier.

But I am surprised, I really though Fleener was going to be the one they would keep.

Me too Meno. I feel like Fleener is reliable steady eddy while Allen is not. He's more athletic but I've always waited for him to put it together and be a stud. With either I imagine they hope time apart is what they need and I guess Allen is in a very nice spot to succeed now.

Fleener is definitely someone I'll be grabbing in FF drafts now though.

Yes I'm quoting myself but I said the comment above today about Allen. Now he resigned a healthy contract to say in Indy. Normally I might second guess my opinion but we are talking about Grigson so I think I'll stand on what I said earlier.

But I am surprised, I really though Fleener was going to be the one they would keep.
:shrug:   apparently the team that knows him best likes him enough to give him a decent contract.  I do agree that I thought they'd keep Fleener. 

Granted, he's only making similar to what Kyle Rudolph makes and a million less than Ertz, although I assume this chart isn't wholly accurate yet as it shows no guaranteed money.

Me too Meno. I feel like Fleener is reliable steady eddy while Allen is not. He's more athletic but I've always waited for him to put it together and be a stud. With either I imagine they hope time apart is what they need and I guess Allen is in a very nice spot to succeed now.

Fleener is definitely someone I'll be grabbing in FF drafts now though.
Fleener has been able to stay healthier but I recall some pretty bad drops as well.

Kils reported Malik Jackson to sign with Jags, was on Broncos.

Schefter reports it's 6 yrs 90 mil

Last edited by a moderator:

Allen is the better all around TE.  Fleener couldn't block me and he drops too many passes.  Even thought Allen has had some bad luck with injuries the last couple of years, he's a decent TE.  He will never be a fantasy stud but he is important to the Colts in the running game with his blocking and he can catch the ball adequately.

Scheftet reporting Green Bay having interest in Forte.  Could have just reported local rumormill info.  Didn't say his source.

Allen is the better all around TE.  Fleener couldn't block me and he drops too many passes.  Even thought Allen has had some bad luck with injuries the last couple of years, he's a decent TE.  He will never be a fantasy stud but he is important to the Colts in the running game with his blocking and he can catch the ball adequately.
Said this earlier in this thread but Allen graded out on PFF as one of the all around worst blocking TE's in the league last year. 

I don't know I'd classify his injury history as bad luck.

He is younger and he is a better blocker than Fleener, not last year, but in general and I think part of this move tells me the Colts are more interested in keeping Luck protected than providing weapons because while Fleener did drop some passes he also made some plays.

The part of this we still don't know is if they wanted Fleener and he just wanted more money. We'll probably get an idea when he signs with someone but I suspect they  preferred Allen.

And as I said previously, normally I am deferential to a GM/coach of an NFL team with respect to their own players. Meaning I assume they know more about the player then I do but when the Colts signed Andre and Gore I said it was a major mistake and I feel like Grigson has earned the right to be second guessed. 

No deals signed yet.  But yeah, it's started.  
This is the "Legal Tampering" period of 2 days where teams CAN talk to players.  They are essentially agreeing to deals before tomorrow's 4pm EST official start of the signing period.

So if I'm a fan of a perennial loser and notorious big free agency participator like the Bucs am I happy they aren't currently linked to any of the big names? 

It seems like the best teams in the NFL never really dabble in free agency all that much, which is probably a product of already having highly paid players on their rosters.  They've drafted well and re-signed their own while also avoiding the potential land mines by knowing there's usually a reason a player hits free agency in the first place. 

It's an exciting time of year for us fans, but it's rare for any of these guys getting huge long term contracts to keep up their production.

So if I'm a fan of a perennial loser and notorious big free agency participator like the Bucs am I happy they aren't currently linked to any of the big names? 

It seems like the best teams in the NFL never really dabble in free agency all that much, which is probably a product of already having highly paid players on their rosters.  They've drafted well and re-signed their own while also avoiding the potential land mines by knowing there's usually a reason a player hits free agency in the first place. 

It's an exciting time of year for us fans, but it's rare for any of these guys getting huge long term contracts to keep up their production.
100%.

Fans should be more excited about teams that grab the solid 2nd tier free agents.  The big ticket free agents that leave teams that don't have the cap space are your best bet.  When teams have space, and don't re-sign, you need to be nervous.  

From Rapoport-

Raiders sign Osemele at 11mil per year

Saints say they lost Ben Watson to Ravens

saints trying to re-sign Hightower 

Chargers re-signed T Barksdale

Packers re-signed G Lane Taylor

Broncos released Owen Daniels

Philly still wants Chase Daniel despite Sam signing

Mike Wallace wouldn't take a pay cut so the Vikes will release him

From Rapoport-

Saints say they lost Ben Watson to Ravens
Ravens sure love their TEs. They have two promising guys with Crockett and Maxx Williams, and now add Watson to the fold. I guess with an uncertain WR situation (Perriman still an unknown quantity), they need all the receiving depth they can get.

They need a plan at RB, an alternate to Sims if he doesn't pan out. Martin seems to be leaving.

They need better linemen every year til Winston retires.

I don't know that VJax is worth his salary

Verner was benched last year so some CB insurance would be nice. 

Probably need an insurance guy at TE too

I would guess they're being part wise part frugal. It's really only maybe half the league jumping in just yet. The rest are watching. This time of year feels like the start of an FF auction draft where everyone spends a chunk of their money in the first few minutes. 

Mike Wallace released.  Based on his playing with Tannehill and Teddy B, I expect him to sign with KC, as he makes the rounds of every team that can't reach him deep.  

Ravens sure love their TEs. They have two promising guys with Crockett and Maxx Williams, and now add Watson to the fold. I guess with an uncertain WR situation (Perriman still an unknown quantity), they need all the receiving depth they can get.
I think Gilmore's injury is fairly severe. He's someone I've been high on for awhile but ended up releasing from my dynasty teams when I heard reports filtering out of combine that he might not be ready for the season. Had back surgery and both shoulders. I'm thinking he's worse off than a guy like Brian Quick was this time last year and would not be surprised if he's looking at a lost season. With Boyle out 10 games, if they keep him and Max Williams showing not a lot I think this made perfect sense for the Ravens just surprised the Saints let him go.

This now opens up arguably the most attractive TE destination for fantasy football, unless of course you someone thinks Michael Hooman is the guy. 

Looks like Lamar Miller may be headed to Houston. Good fit, I think.
Texans are not the only team interested. They are also "making a big push" for Osweiler.

I'm not sure of their $ situation. This early it feels more like an announcement that they plan to spend

One guy tweeted (Aaron Wilson? not sure) that no one has reported negotiating with Lamar Miller's agent yet so it's still rumor time, preliminary.

I think Gilmore's injury is fairly severe. He's someone I've been high on for awhile but ended up releasing from my dynasty teams when I heard reports filtering out of combine that he might not be ready for the season. Had back surgery and both shoulders. I'm thinking he's worse off than a guy like Brian Quick was this time last year and would not be surprised if he's looking at a lost season. With Boyle out 10 games, if they keep him and Max Williams showing not a lot I think this made perfect sense for the Ravens just surprised the Saints let him go.

This now opens up arguably the most attractive TE destination for fantasy football, unless of course you someone thinks Michael Hooman is the guy. 
I think Ladarius Green would make a nice cheap signing for the Saints.

Eagles signed CB Leodis McKelvin(Bills)

Unsure if he played for Schwartz previously

reported by a few NJ.com guys, unsure who was first

Rapoport says 2yrs 6 mil

McClain said on radio that he hasn't heard Texans are front runner for Miller.

Time to back off Miller and wait for something more solid then

Mike Wallace released.  Based on his playing with Tannehill and Teddy B, I expect him to sign with KC, as he makes the rounds of every team that can't reach him deep.  
It may have been last year when I thought he was going to be released, but I was actually interested to see if he might sign a really cheap deal with the Panthers. Ginn had a great year though (even with the 5-6 easy long TD drops, since they didn't actually lose any games). If Wallace still has speed to burn, Newton can reach him deep, but he probably won't want to sign cheap and make a roster. Also, with Benjamin coming back, we are almost too deep with the play of Brown/Ginn and Funchess coming on in the second half.

ETA: No idea on his play in Minny as I never watched them, but I do recall having him on my FF roster when he had a decent year in Miami and getting pissed at how often Tannehill missed him with a bad pass or just plain didn't see him when he got a ton of separation.

I immediately thought he'd be a nice option for a team with a good QB looking for a second receiver with the ability to take the top off the defense.  Tampa should be calling...  There will definitely be a market for him.  He isn't designed for teams with dink and dunk QB's.

Users who are viewing this thread