What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official watch thread...... Do we have one? (1 Viewer)

Do you wear a watch?

• Yes

Votes: 70 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 40.7%

• Total voters
Last night the mail tracking updates and says:

A late UPS trailer arrival has caused a delay. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible. / Delivery will be rescheduled.
Package was scheduled for today, I saw this message last night, I was drunk and wen't to sleep angry.

Overnight it updates and shows arrival in NY and then departure scan. Current message says it is out for delivery by EOD. Man, I have so much anticipation right now... Hard to just sit at my desk. 

Congrats. Glad it worked out - I would have been sweating bullets on that deal.
Not there yet, tomorrow I'll go hit Cartier, then I'll relax. I've looked at about 100 pictures of this watch and compared almost every detail, sure as #### looks real and feels real. Ran some water on the crystal, if it beads and runs off, that means it is sapphire crystal, which it is and not usually seen in fakes.  

Not there yet, tomorrow I'll go hit Cartier, then I'll relax. I've looked at about 100 pictures of this watch and compared almost every detail, sure as #### looks real and feels real. Ran some water on the crystal, if it beads and runs off, that means it is sapphire crystal, which it is and not usually seen in fakes.  
The replica message boards are pretty amazing.  Some new models are almost indistinguishable from the actual item and the efforts some owners go through to make their fakes appear vintage are fascinating.   I still wouldn't wear one but I appreciate the ingenuity at some level.

So a conclusion to my ebay purchase:

Watch is legit. I was in Tourneau, full warranty there for another 4.5 years. I talk a good game and got them to print me out the original purchase order, $9,750 earlier this year. Dude purchased their extended warranty program which covers physical damage for the next 2.5 years. 

After that verification, I went to Cartier with a list of fake complaints for them to check. First I went Saturday, the woman took it to the watchmaker, but it was late in the day so I'd have to leave it for him to open the case, I declined. He did a quick diagnostic and said it was perfect, demagnetized it and sent me on my way. Went back this morning bc Eephus has me alert with the replicas. Requested a more thorough look. She said she'd give me a call within one to two days, but I heard back in 8 hours. Same demagnetizing shtick (which I guess is there "it's fine, but we'll tell you we did something" response). They explained they did a thorough diagnostic and opened the case and the watch is good.

My legit complaint is it runs 4 seconds slow a day, right on the edge of COSC standards, but technically they're right and it is within. They said it's in perfect shape. The outside is mint, seller wasn't kidding. Tiny nick on the lug between the 1-2, but hardly noticeable. Legit 99% condition. Stole this watch.

The watch itself is very subtle, def not a look at me watch. Black rubber band, black case, black bezel, black dial. The only stainless is on the edge of the bezel. Watch just blends in. The lume is sick! Cartier doesn't make a ton of these ADLC watches, so my hope is they discontinue this line altogether and eventually it appreciates. Really don't even need appreciation with this score. 

At this point I like it a lot, not sure if I love it. Gonna give it a few weeks. Wore it swimming over the weekend, great watch for the beach, pool, vacation, etc. With the concrete verifiable history, now a copy of the purchase order, & all paperwork/box - if I end up not loving it, I'll be fine to move it.

My hope is I will end up loving it, it really is an awesome, classy, & versatile piece.

The new watch has grown on me, but my main issue is the rubber is a little less flexible than I'd like. Don't get me wrong, it's comfortable, but not what I thought it would be... 

Anyways, I was in an Omega store today, woman gave me the Planet Ocean Deep Black to try on - cons are the size, very thick, 17mm, the Cartier is 11mm. Diameter is 45mm while the Cartier is 42mm. However, the Cartier wears larger and the Omega wears smaller, the diameter looks very similar on the wrist. The Omega is also made of ceramic, so it wears lighter. Also has a new Omega movement which is fantastic and a GMT complication - now I travel maybe 8-12x any given year, but the GMT functionality is fairly useless to me. Regardless, it felt more comfortable on my wrist. 

Im confident I can get what I put in to this watch out, but IDK... I'm kinda torn right now. Here is a link to the Omega:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/seamaster/planet-ocean-600m/co-axial-master-chronometer-gmt-455-mm/21592462201001/

i like the black and blue, but if I was to get something like that, it would prob be the BLNR Rolex, so I'm really looking at the pure black one... Any thoughts on this watch?

Last edited by a moderator:
The new watch has grown on me, but my main issue is the rubber is a little less flexible than I'd like. Don't get me wrong, it's comfortable, but not what I thought it would be... 

Anyways, I was in an Omega store today, woman gave me the Planet Ocean Deep Black to try on - cons are the size, very thick, 17mm, the Cartier is 11mm. Diameter is 45mm while the Cartier is 42mm. However, the Cartier wears larger and the Omega wears smaller, the diameter looks very similar on the wrist. The Omega is also made of ceramic, so it wears lighter. Also has a new Omega movement which is fantastic and a GMT complication - now I travel maybe 8-12x any given year, but the GMT functionality is fairly useless to me. Regardless, it felt more comfortable on my wrist. 

Im confident I can get what I put in to this watch out, but IDK... I'm kinda torn right now. Here is a link to the Omega:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/seamaster/planet-ocean-600m/co-axial-master-chronometer-gmt-455-mm/21592462201001/

i like the black and blue, but if I was to get something like that, it would prob be the BLNR Rolex, so I'm really looking at the pure black one... Any thoughts on this watch?
Omegas are fantastic watches--and that one in particular is a very fine watch.  However--just seeing you might be over your Cartier already--my advice is to purchase a Rolex if you are the type of person that tends to "cycle" through things.  I love Omegas--and own several of them---but they don't hold anywhere near the re-sale value that Rolex does.   If you want to buy an Omega--you should purchase a gem/gem mint condition pre-owned one as that should save you lots of money.  Let the original owner suffer the depreciation and save yourself some money. Also--you can maybe get a better Omega for the same money if you go that route.  Check out the "dark side of the moon" Speedmaster.  You can get good deals on them pre-owned and it's an awesome watch. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TLGQgJctb60

Sold the Cartier I bought for a profit of $700 (well, actually $580 due to shipping)... For reasons I previously mentioned, mainly comfort, not appearance, I just couldn't wear it. Also felt a little fragile.

Found a buyer online who wired me funds and he had a new Cartier watch the next day.

My Rolex dealer has me on her waiting list for the new Daytona, they sell for $12,400, but since nobody can get one, you really can't find it for under $17,500 - I'm prob going to buy it, wear it for a little, then flip it. 

Been eyeing some AP's lately, next year if I've bought/sold the Daytona, might have to do it. 

Sold the Cartier I bought for a profit of $700 (well, actually $580 due to shipping)... For reasons I previously mentioned, mainly comfort, not appearance, I just couldn't wear it. Also felt a little fragile.

Found a buyer online who wired me funds and he had a new Cartier watch the next day.

My Rolex dealer has me on her waiting list for the new Daytona, they sell for $12,400, but since nobody can get one, you really can't find it for under $17,500 - I'm prob going to buy it, wear it for a little, then flip it. 

Been eyeing some AP's lately, next year if I've bought/sold the Daytona, might have to do it. 
That is a hard watch to come by.  Good luck getting your hands on it.  

That is a hard watch to come by.  Good luck getting your hands on it.  
My Rolex AD that sold me my Sub has promised me they'll get me one within the next 12 months... Hoping they deliver, want the white face. 

I called every AD from Maine to Virginia - have a few decent leads, just need to stay on top of them. 

There have been a number links to watches with cloth straps. I've only worn rubber, stainless steel, titanium and ceramic bracelets. Are there notable differences with the cloth straps?

Woah, that's pretty.
Impossible to get one. Call any Rolex dealer and ask them to buy one, you'll basically be laughed at and told to call back in 2021. 

Rolex is one of the smartest marketing companies in the world. There are 37 different Daytona styles, of which, only 2 are in stainless steel, the rest being precious metals. They supply a tiny amount of stainless steel models driving up demand for the more expensive precious metal versions. It's brilliant, but #### them :hot:

There have been a number links to watches with cloth straps. I've only worn rubber, stainless steel, titanium and ceramic bracelets. Are there notable differences with the cloth straps?
Here's a good guide to different band/strap types. 

I love NATO and Zulu straps.  They're cheap as chips and come in a wide variety of colors and patterns.  Other fabric straps are Cordura (like a canvas) and Perlon (a woven Nylon).  They're both dressier than NATOs/Zulus which are only really suitable w/ sports watches.

I'm an aspiring/poor watch nerd.  I really like Frederique Constant.  I like that it is like a mini-Patek for people not close to affording Patek.  These two caught my eye:

https://frederiqueconstant.com/watch-finder/runabout/runabout-gmt-automatic-fc-350rmg5b6/

https://frederiqueconstant.com/watch-finder/runabout/runabout-gmt-automatic-fc-350rms5b6/

As little as I know about watches, I know less about ebay.  I was looking around, and I saw this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Frederique-Constant-Classics-Silver-Dial-Leather-Strap-Mens-Watch-FC260WR5B6DBR/262820075725?hash=item3d314c18cd:g:CTAAAOSw9GhYY~B7

I like the watch, but love it at that price.  I have a few questions.

1) I assume it's a discontinued watch.  I can't imagine there are Constant knock-offs, so what else could it be at that price?

2) It is advertised as new.  Any chance that is false?  They have a good record.

3) It is quartz movement, but with a moonphase complication.  Is that odd?  Isn't it a fancy complication on a very simple watch?

Any advice would be great.  Both ebay and watch related.  I'd love to get some links for used watches.

TIA

I'm an aspiring/poor watch nerd.  I really like Frederique Constant.  I like that it is like a mini-Patek for people not close to affording Patek.  These two caught my eye:

https://frederiqueconstant.com/watch-finder/runabout/runabout-gmt-automatic-fc-350rmg5b6/

https://frederiqueconstant.com/watch-finder/runabout/runabout-gmt-automatic-fc-350rms5b6/

As little as I know about watches, I know less about ebay.  I was looking around, and I saw this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Frederique-Constant-Classics-Silver-Dial-Leather-Strap-Mens-Watch-FC260WR5B6DBR/262820075725?hash=item3d314c18cd:g:CTAAAOSw9GhYY~B7

1) I assume it's a discontinued watch.  I can't imagine there are Constant knock-offs, so what else could it be at that price?

2) It is advertised as new.  Any chance that is false?  They have a good record.

3) It is quartz movement, but with a moonphase complication.  Is that odd?  Isn't it a fancy complication on a very simple watch?

Any advice would be great.  Both ebay and watch related.  I'd love to get some links for used watches.

TIA
Nice looking watch, however I'm not at all familiar with it. 

Tbh, I personally find the moon phase to be the most useless of all complications, maybe the perpetual calendar with leap year, but prob a toss up. Outside of date, and possibly day, there isn't much more I need from a watch than time. 

With that being said, a quartz movement for a moon phase would prob be easier... I switch between watches and sometimes don't wear one for over a week, when this happens I obviously have to wind and set it (for whatever reason, I'm just not a watch winder guy, I actually enjoy the manual process). I've never owned a moon phase, but I'd imagine constantly having to adjust and set something that works on a 29 and some odd amount of hours schedule would be a huge PITA (same with frequently setting a watch that I have to be cognizant of a 4 year calendar)... so the quartz might not be a bad thing on this one. 

Seller has 12k feedback at 99.5%, plus he has sold a #### ton of these, so I'd think he prob bought a lot of them from a distributor or something when they were discontinued and is unloading them... I'd prob trust him, but try to match the specs directly from the manufacturer before purchasing, I'd suspect they would match and the product is as he says. I can't imagine having many issues with a quartz watch, so you should be good to go. 

Certified Watch Store is a legitimate seller.  I haven't bought from them but they have a good reputation on the watch boards. 

Quartz vs. mechanical is probably the first decision you need to make.  Both have their advantages but most watch nerds favor mechanicals.  If you look around, you can get an automatic Frederique Constant for about the same price.   There's a nice dress model on Amazon for $315.  I believe they use modified Selitta movements which is normal for the price range. 

It's rare to find a mechanical moonphase for under a grand.  It's an expensive complication and a pain to set if you let your movements run down.  I usually don't need to know the phase of the moon in my line of work.

Nice looking watch, however I'm not at all familiar with it. 

Tbh, I personally find the moon phase to be the most useless of all complications, maybe the perpetual calendar with leap year, but prob a toss up. Outside of date, and possibly day, there isn't much more I need from a watch than time. 

With that being said, a quartz movement for a moon phase would prob be easier... I switch between watches and sometimes don't wear one for over a week, when this happens I obviously have to wind and set it (for whatever reason, I'm just not a watch winder guy, I actually enjoy the manual process). I've never owned a moon phase, but I'd imagine constantly having to adjust and set something that works on a 29 and some odd amount of hours schedule would be a huge PITA (same with frequently setting a watch that I have to be cognizant of a 4 year calendar)... so the quartz might not be a bad thing on this one. 
I totally disagree with non-watch people (idiots really) who say they can check the time on their phone.  But I will fall back to my phone if I ever need to the know the phase of the moon.

& honestly, most people can't afford a PP, and while they're everyone's holy grail, I've read endlessly on them. They need servicing frequently, their service takes forever, and it's absurdly expensive. 

When I look at what I want my completed collection to be, I'd like to have it as:

Rolex Submariner

Omega Aqua Terra (the new 150m with grey face on rubber strap is awesome)

AP Royal Oak Chronograph on SS

Rolex Yachtmaster in Everrose on the oysterflex

Rolex DD40 in white gold

If I can build this out over the next 15 years or so, I'd be very happy... No need for a PP IMO.

I usually don't need to know the phase of the moon in my line of work.
Well excuse me if I need to know when it's a crescent moon to get my work done. 

Personally, I just like the look of it and was surprised to see one at that price.  Not a need by any stretch.  Besides Amazon and Ebay, are there any other sites to look for watches.

Well excuse me if I need to know when it's a crescent moon to get my work done. 

Personally, I just like the look of it and was surprised to see one at that price.  Not a need by any stretch.  Besides Amazon and Ebay, are there any other sites to look for watches.
watchforum and watchuseek (i think) are too popular ones that have a resellers market (i think). 

i'm a enthusiast and not a collector at all. i just like wearing them. i'll always go with auto and mechanical ones over quartz but i did just pick up this Helgray via a Massdrop sale. Meccha-quartz is kind of a novelty for me but at $150 it was worth it. i was looking at some secondhand compressors recently inspired by the recent Farer launch of theirs. 

For @Zigg who's just getting his feet wet, the used forum on Watchuseek might be a bit daunting.  But it's a great place for getting a feel for what you like and the prices they go for.

The neverending "I saw a bargain" thread in the WUS Affordables forum is another place to look.  There are obsessives who spend way too much time surfing the Net for discounts, coupon codes and pricing anomalies.

Alright guys - I think I am ready to join the watch wearing world.  I do not even own a watch right now.  Ive never owned anything even remotely nice (nothing over $150).  I am looking for a watch to wear everyday for $1,000 or less.  I suppose I could go slightly more if necessary.  I work in the finance world but don’t wear suits all that often.  Looking for something I could wear everyday.  Can’t be too flashy.   Any suggestions?

Take your time.  Find something you love and won't tire of quickly.

If you're looking for an everyday wearer, I think it's easier to dress up a sport watch like a diver than it is to dress down a dress watch.

TIA
 First of all--Frederique Constant is a pretty solid mid-level brand. With that being said--I probably would never recommend purchasing one of their timepieces at full retail value as they don't tend to hold value.  However--at the price that you found the one you like on Ebay--you can't really go wrong.   in regards to your questions:

1) I've been in the jewelry/watch industry for approximately 25 years.  I have zero concern about the watch being a knock off. My guess is that the "Certified Watch Store" is essentially an online watch broker that purchases watches from A) overstock from authorized dealers or B) liquidates the inventories from distributors/dealers/jewelry stores that are going out of business..etc.  There is no doubt in my mind that the watch that is in the listing is a genuine Frederique Constant. 

2) I spoke of this earlier in the thread.  Technically the watch is a used watch that is in "new condition".   This is because that in the world of watches--a watch can technically only be new once. This once is when the watch is sold from an authorized agent (dealer) of the brand to a consumer--even if that consumer is another dealer.  Factory warranties are generally not transferrable--so if you purchase a watch from an unauthorized broker--the warranty that you are receiving is one that is through that broker and NOT the factory that produced the watch.  This technicality probably doesn't matter much in this situation as we are talking about a battery powered mid-level watch that most likely will not need any sort of warranty work. On some really high end watches--the provenance from purchasing a watch from an authorized dealer can make a huge difference in the resale value of the watch. 

3) it's not super odd to find moonphase complications on quartz timepieces. Quartz timepieces are driven by circuitry and not a series of moving parts.  Circuitry doesn't take nearly the amount of real estate that would be required to make that same complication in a mechanical movement.  With that being said--I can tell you that most consumers do not use many of the complications that are found on their wristwatches.  Many people that purchase watches with complications generally do so because of how the watch looks.  Even though i personally never use a moonphase complication--I believe that they certainly do add an elegant look to a timepiece.  

My best advice--get and wear a watch that you like.  The watch that is on your wrist is supposed to be an extension of you and your lifestyle.  Good luck with whatever timepiece(s) you get!!

Alright guys - I think I am ready to join the watch wearing world.  I do not even own a watch right now.  Ive never owned anything even remotely nice (nothing over $150).  I am looking for a watch to wear everyday for $1,000 or less.  I suppose I could go slightly more if necessary.  I work in the finance world but don’t wear suits all that often.  Looking for something I could wear everyday.  Can’t be too flashy.   Any suggestions?
Oris Daily Wear is my daily wear.  I picked it up used for about a grand.  Nice watch that is affordable and still looks good.  

My best advice--get and wear a watch that you like.  The watch that is on your wrist is supposed to be an extension of you and your lifestyle.  Good luck with whatever timepiece(s) you get!!
In your experience, how much leeway does a salesman have in the price at an authorized retailer?  Can I get the price down?

In your experience, how much leeway does a salesman have in the price at an authorized retailer?  Can I get the price down?
Depends on the dealer. I have a Breitling AD that can go 32%.

At Rolex my AD gave me 10% on a Submariner which is actually amazing! She'd go 20-22% on precious metals. 

For me personally though, at this juncture, I'm about finding a deal. I want something that I'll like, but can get out of without a big loss if I end up not loving it. The WUS board mentioned above can have some great deals, I just don't frequent it as much as the RolexForum. 

Buying a watch in great condition that has been lightly used is always a good idea, IMO - let someone else eat the depreciation. 

As the above poster answered--it just depends on the broker and how desperate the broker is to sell the watch.   Generally speaking--authorized dealers have contractual limits to how much they can discount watches.  If they discount more than these contractual limits--they risk losing their account with that particular watch brand.  The watch brands do send secret shoppers into their authorized dealers to help police this.   The above poster mentioned that he has an AD that will give him 32% off on Breitling. I can tell you that a discount this big from an AD would absolutely be putting their ability to order directly from Breitling at risk.   One of the reasons why Rolexes hold soo much value is because they do a wonderful job in monitoring excessive discounting from their AD's.   Because of this--the answer to your question really depends on the exact watch and the exact brand you want.   For example--if you are asking this in regards to the Frederique Constant you mentioned before--I'd personally recommend just buying a heavily discounted one from a reputable secondary broker before I recommend that you buy one from an AD with a slight/moderate discount.  On that particular brand--if you ever went to resell the watch--the provenance of purchasing that watch from an AD will have little to zero effect on the resale value.   However-- if you are looking at a highly desirable, high value watch--like a Patek Nautilus or a Steel ceramic bezel Rolex Daytona--having provenance (receipts, paperwork, factory warranty card) from a US authorized dealer would add moderate to significant resale value to the watch. . 

Any black Friday, cyber Monday deals out there?  Frederique Contsant has a Black Friday collection, and 20% off.  Saw one watch I like quite a bit.  

Hey guys - any thoughts on this watch https://www.shinola.com/mens/watches/all/the-runwell-sport/therunwell48-sport-s01190.html

Does Shinola make a good product?  I think you could get away with this one with athletic gear or a suit

Thanks guys - I didnt realize it was that big.  I have skinny wrists so I dont think I even need to go try it on.  I just saw a buddy post a pic of one and thought they looked cool

Turning 40 this year and want to buy myself a nice watch.  I probably cannot justify anything over like $5000. I saw that an entry level Rolex is around this price, but then do you just look like a guy who wanted the name Rolex but couldn’t “really” afford one?

I currently have a Baum & Mercier with a black crocodile leather band that was a law school graduation present. This is 14 years old now and I only wear it when I need to be “dressy” but I hate wearing it when it is hot. 

I also have a Seiko thatis stainlees steel and more casual. 

What would be nice entry piece into the more luxury lines?

Turning 40 this year and want to buy myself a nice watch.  I probably cannot justify anything over like $5000. I saw that an entry level Rolex is around this price, but then do you just look like a guy who wanted the name Rolex but couldn’t “really” afford one?

I currently have a Baum & Mercier with a black crocodile leather band that was a law school graduation present. This is 14 years old now and I only wear it when I need to be “dressy” but I hate wearing it when it is hot. 

There are a ton of Breitling watches for sub-$5K.  Breitling

Omega - Seamaster Planet Ocean

This brand has been making a huge push marketing all over NYC subways. Not that familiar with them, but as the previous poster alluded to, 48mm is gigantic. 

I'd try it on first bc that is massive. 
I think they have smaller (41-42mm) versions of some watches,although maybe not that exact one.

I like Omega Speadmasters at the below 5k price point. 

Users who are viewing this thread