What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dark Souls III (1 Viewer)

Already preordered since I get a discount with Amazon Prime. Looking forward to this.
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Did you preorder the Day 1 edition that comes with a bunch of other stuff? I know it has the guide which I don't really want, but maybe I can flip it on eBay for $10 or something.

Already preordered since I get a discount with Amazon Prime. Looking forward to this.
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Did you preorder the Day 1 edition that comes with a bunch of other stuff? I know it has the guide which I don't really want, but maybe I can flip it on eBay for $10 or something.
I had to check, but yeah, that's what I ordered. I didn't even realize it came with other stuff.

Is this the type of game where if you die you have to start from the beginning of that level?
Its pretty much like all games in that when you die you go back to the checkpoint, only instead of a checkpoint, its called a bonfire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just did my day 1 edition preorder for XB1. 

Its taking everything i can I can not to tune into a twitch stream of those already playing. 

I have been watching a lot on twitch.

The look and feel of the bosses are better than ever IMO.

Game play is very Souls like so if you have played any of the 3 previous games, this is going to be an "easy" transition (with still plenty of deaths :) )

I have been watching a lot on twitch.

The look and feel of the bosses are better than ever IMO.

Game play is very Souls like so if you have played any of the 3 previous games, this is going to be an "easy" transition (with still plenty of deaths :) )
I've done Demons, as well as DS1 and 2. No Bloodborne (don't have a ps4) and never played any of the dlc.

im hoping a year or two from now they'll release a trilogy with all the dlc and I'll replay.

I am still waiting to play Bloodborne myself.  I think I will like it but I am scared a bit that it will be too tough for me as I made it through the 3 Souls game combining range attacks with a small shield.  I have read that neither of those are really available as tools in Bloodborne so I think I am going to find it much tougher than a typical souls game.

The idea of a trilogy sounds great!

I was watching a fun IGN series recently where they have two Souls hard core players and they allow them to watch a commentate on a Souls newbie playing DS1.  It is a riot :)

I know you liked the mages in the series. But as someone who tried both, I found the powered up melee characters way easier.

I've been following the Japanese release a little bit mainly to figure out what kind of character build I want this time around.  I went pure melee in Bloodborne (no other option, really) and DS2, so I was thinking of doing a caster this time, but it sounds like sorcery and miracles are pretty weak.  Pyromancy it is, then.  Same as DS1.

Wish I could get into these games but I hate hard games
I quit the original Dark Souls without getting to far. After reading about the games here and how amazing they were, I gave it another go. Finished it several times. Same with DS2. Don't have a next gen so no Bloodborne for me. But honestly, it's all about mindset. If you can accept the fact you will die and, in fact, are expected to die to learn, you'll find you really enjoy them.

I like to enjoy a game not get frustrated by it. If it's too hard I just lose interest quickly.
It's hard in a way that the Mario Brothers games were hard.

No, it's nowhere near the same type of game, but it *is* similar in that you play, and you die. Then, you start over, and lo and behold, it's fun and surprisingly easy to get back to where you died. And this time, you're ready for what killed you, and you make it. Then you die a bit later. Rinse/repeat.

There are levels in Dark Souls that took me two hours of careful stalking / dying / learn to get through, But then, there comes a point where I can breeze through it in five minutes.

So... What's the benefit of pre-ordering the Delux edition? I get DS1 (Which I already own,) and whopping $5 off of the season pass, is that it?

Unless there's more then that, I'll just get the regular edition and then just wait for the inevitable sale. 

So... What's the benefit of pre-ordering the Delux edition? I get DS1 (Which I already own,) and whopping $5 off of the season pass, is that it?

Unless there's more then that, I'll just get the regular edition and then just wait for the inevitable sale. 
I'm not doing a deluxe edition.  I won't replay the game immediately upon dlc, so I don't see a point. I still haven't played the dlc for the first or second game. 

I'm not reading that (or anything about the game) but woo whooo! The tiny but ice accidentally seen looks amazing. 

CANT WAIT!!!! /Bart Scott
I watched but covered the screen with my hand when they started talking about the bosses. 

The only negative mentioned were a few frame issues. No surprise I guess. 

I watched but covered the screen with my hand when they started talking about the bosses. 

The only negative mentioned were a few frame issues. No surprise I guess. 
 I did watch the video that compared the Xboxone to the PS4 version... 

The PS four version has smoother shadows and plays at a slightly faster FPS what was not Noblesville during gameplay. 

Essentially the only difference is if you really look hard the shadows have little jaggies but everything else is the same. 

yes, there is no relation other than the name.

Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3 are 4 independent games.
That's note really true.  Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are independent, but all of the Dark Souls games share the same lore and general story arc. 

Having said that, it's incredibly easy to play these games and enjoy them while having literally no idea what the story even is.  If you haven't played Dark Souls 1, you'll probably miss out on a few references here and there, but that's about it.  

I'm pretty geeked now that its finally here...  I'll do the same build I've done in all of the other games.  I'll be a knight of some kind who two-hands his way through the entire game in light armor.  Anytime I mess with a shield, I just turtle in behind in and the next thing I know I never have any stamina to hit.  I always forget I can't just hold it up the entire time and have the stamina regenerate.

Also my only main rule: I don't co-op or summon on any boss until I've beaten it solo myself.  The only time I have ever come close to breaking that rule was the freaking Ruin Sentinels.  Out all all 3 Souls games I've played and the countless bosses, those three bastards (along with Darklurker) gave me the hardest time.

Also my only main rule: I don't co-op or summon on any boss until I've beaten it solo myself.  The only time I have ever come close to breaking that rule was the freaking Ruin Sentinels.  Out all all 3 Souls games I've played and the countless bosses, those three bastards (along with Darklurker) gave me the hardest time.
I have this same rule as well.

It is fun trying to remember which bosses gave me the hardest time.  I think the worst for me was Smaug and Ornstein

I have this same rule as well.

It is fun trying to remember which bosses gave me the hardest time.  I think the worst for me was Smaug and Ornstein
I actually beat them on my first try but I had like 2 hp left. When I landed the final blow, I actually wasn't sure for a second which one of us died. 

In DS1, I had a little bit of trouble with Gwyn, but bosses weren't really a huge problem.  Sif was a bit troublesome at the point in which I played him too. 

DS2 was definitely Ruin Sentinels and Darklurker. 

I actually beat them on my first try but I had like 2 hp left. When I landed the final blow, I actually wasn't sure for a second which one of us died. 

In DS1, I had a little bit of trouble with Gwyn, but bosses weren't really a huge problem.  Sif was a bit troublesome at the point in which I played him too. 

DS2 was definitely Ruin Sentinels and Darklurker. 
I think it may be build dependent too on who gives a hard time.

Dark Lurker was so weak to fire I had no problems with a maxed out pyro character.

Funny, I destroyed the ruin sentinels the very first time but struggled mightily each time after. IIRC, they are fairly "easy" the first time because they spawn almost one at a time. If you die the first battle, all the ones that released previously come at you almost immediately. 

Darklurker was also a giant pain. 

Yeah. 

I almost bought digital but the $15 off from Amazon was worth going that route. I've got a meeting tomorrow so I'm shut out until tomorrow night.  
I'm pretty impulsive with things I love and I'm not a fan of physical media anymore as I tend to wear out the Dark Souls disks. I burned up two DS1 disks before buying digital.

I went with the $84 version which includes the season pass and yet another digital version of DS1, which I am gifting to a buddy who I am trying to get into DS1.

Speaking of which, have any of you played DS1 on the XB1? It seems to have slightly better graphics and runs a little differently then on the 360. Smoother but the camera is a little off. I also noticed things like...you know those thin walkways under the Hellkite dragon, where you can snipe the tail? They are at least twice as wide as the original version.

I'm pretty impulsive with things I love and I'm not a fan of physical media anymore as I tend to wear out the Dark Souls disks. I burned up two DS1 disks before buying digital.

I went with the $84 version which includes the season pass and yet another digital version of DS1, which I am gifting to a buddy who I am trying to get into DS1.

Speaking of which, have any of you played DS1 on the XB1? It seems to have slightly better graphics and runs a little differently then on the 360. Smoother but the camera is a little off. I also noticed things like...you know those thin walkways under the Hellkite dragon, where you can snipe the tail? They are at least twice as wide as the original version.
I goofed around with DS1 on XB1.  I didn't play it for long, just up until the undead burg to see how things were playing, but I didn't go past that.  I didn't notice anything too different, but not sure I would unless it really stood out.  I also loaded up my main character from the cloud from when I beat the game - its a level 100 character that I just PVP in the Dark Root Forest.

I'm with you on digital media.  I prefer it myself, but again to save nearly $15, then I can manage the physical copy.  My DS1 copy is digital from when I bought it on 360.  My DS2 copy is digital on PS3 because I felt I had to justify my PS3 purchase at the time (my Demon's Souls copy is digital as well).  Now this one will be physical on XB1.  Anyway, as mentioned I'm assuming and hoping for a definitive collection at some point with all 3 games and DLC in one.  I'll definitely go for that when the time comes.

If memory serves, in DS2 you could kill the bad guys ten times and then they would not spawn any more for that level.

Does anyone know if that is the same in DS3?  

No spoilers

I played for about an hour last night . ( went to bed at 10 and set my alarm for midnight but didn't wake up till 1 AM  :bag:)

this just in – it's hard.  I thought I was a bad ### and started with a deprived character.  Yeah, that ain't going to happen.  Went with the night the second try and made it a little bit farther. 

Can't wait to get home and see what you guys say.

No spoilers

I played for about an hour last night . ( went to bed at 10 and set my alarm for midnight but didn't wake up till 1 AM  :bag:)

this just in – it's hard.  I thought I was a bad ### and started with a deprived character.  Yeah, that ain't going to happen.  Went with the night the second try and made it a little bit farther. 

Can't wait to get home and see what you guys say.
Ha, just got about 30 minutes in just now. Went deprived as well / made him dark as night with white hair and glowing red eyes and glowing red face tat. If nothing else, I look bad ###. 

Got moving around and everything seems ok, make it to the tutorial boss. Gave that one shot, never got close. Had to come downstairs so I'll try again later. I'll also head backwards and hit up the route that said "turn back."  So far, so good. 

Early, early non spoilers questions. What is the ashen flask or whatever it's called?  I drank from it but didn't notice anything that happened. Also am I wrong or when you get to the first bonfire, there's a number 1 that pops up?  I rested and never saw the "1" again so don't know if I missed something or if that was a tutorial piece I skipped. 

I think the ashen flask is to restore magic/mana?
This is correct.

DS3 spells do not have charge counts on them like on DS1 and DS2.  DS3 uses a more traditional magic point bar to determine if and when you can cast a spell.  It has been a long time but I think this was how it worked way back on Demon Souls.

Bonfire Ascetic are gone from the game, which might answer my question above as to whether bad guys will stop respawning.  I have a feeling they won't.

General world comment about early game stuff:

Apparently Firelink Shrine = Demons Souls Nexus

I'm at fire link shrine... Where to go next? 

I guess I have to fight the bad guy at the top of the steps right outside the shrine? You know, the one with all the bloodstains all over the ground! 

:help:

Users who are viewing this thread